• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

2AdEPT

Did anyone else get the strategy guide? It's the best I have ever bought. Beautiful, detailed and huge.

Yes, I have an unboxing of it up on my you tube channel, you can assess my reaction here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptmjrUtIsMU

and the moment you all have been waiting for I am sure, my first Let's Play vids ever:
(I am off work so a new vid will be uploaded every couple hours while playing.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSZ0wf1BgFE&feature=youtu.be

Garcia

Most amazing Co-op / PvP moment EVER.

Myself and 2 more guys annihilated an invader; beaten to a pulp in less than 10 seconds. Right after that,
Skeletons Boss Fight!
That was exhilarating!

This is clearly designed around Co-op now, I have no doubt about it, it works perfectly well.

AugustBlade

Neo Member
Anyone know where to put points in a FTH build? Weapon suggestions? All I've done so far is put points into Vigor and Endurance. Also, FTH scales lighting damage and defense now?

ScribbleD

What's with the giants/trees in the forest that you can sort of interact with? Do they do something if you use a certain item or something?

Started as cleric, raised str to 12 so i could use the mace and after that immediatly raised faith to 22 and attunement to 13, i then got lightning bolt (killed 2 bosses before i obtained it) and the other 2 bosses got steamrolled by my lightning bolts.
Now im raising endurance and adaptability a bit.
I started as a cleric but didn't put a single point in dex. I leveled endurance and adaptability evenly since they have some synergy with the poise stat. Not saying this is the best way to do things, but it's working for me.

Other than that all my points have gone into str/faith with a little attunement. My HP does feel a little low but I'm used to playing these games that way...just sucks when you start getting hollow and that bar gets real tiny.

The starting mace is surprisingly good, and very easy to use since it breaks enemy poise easily. I've since moved on to a giant-ass club though.
Thanks guys, I was definitely neglecting agility. Looks like I may have made a boo-boo in putting points in dex, but I've come across so few weapons that only have str requirements. I started putting points into agility and upgraded my mace a few times.

Also, after probably close to 10 tries I finally defeated the
Pursuer.
My lack of poise and stamina really hurt me initially, but eventually I learned all his telegraphs and took him down without even getting hit. Thats what's so awesome about Dark Souls. Failure, struggle, anguish. Then, eventually, VICTORY! Them feels GAF.

Not sure I'll ever beat the gargoyles. I would love to summon someone but I get invaded far before that's possible. I wish I was better at boos fights. Especially hearing that people beat bosses like the Sentinels with just the NPC.

I have beaten 4 bosses so far. Not that impressed with them, I used the same tactic on most of them and I haven't died more than once on a boss besides
the pursuer
. I now have the option to go to
no mans wharf
or
last bastille
. Do the bosses get better? My only major dissapointment so far.

Redd

Summoning friends is a pain right now for me. I can see so many summon signs EXCEPT my friend. Dark Souls 1 and Demon Souls summoning friends was way easier.

Summoning friends is a pain right now for me. I can see so many summon signs EXCEPT my friend. Dark Souls 1 and Demon Souls summoning friends was way easier.
You and your friend should buy the
coop ring from the cat. When you wear it you choose the same "god" to be under, which is actually just forcing you onto the same server.

I have beaten 4 bosses so far. Not that impressed with them, I used the same tactic on most of them and I haven't died more than once on a boss besides
the pursuer
. I now have the option to go to
no mans wharf
or
last bastille
. Do the bosses get better? My only major dissapointment so far.
You might like the latter more. :)

2 hours in, really enjoying my time so far. Got the
Channeler's Trident
from
the crow! Really pleased with that as it doesn't require/benefit from INT this time around, so it'll go nicely with my focus on DEX.
Also got two Bandit Knifes from drops, so I'm currently aiming for the stats to dual wield them and see how that goes.

How are you people using your instant soul items (soul of a nameless soldier and the like)? Are you saving them up or popping them anytime you want to level up? I'm sitting on about 3K souls (assuming the soul gains are the same as in DS1) right now and I'm wondering if I should use them to give me a little boost in END/ADP/DEX.

Soriku

Umm...was this supposed to happen? Fought the Pursuer and I dodged his first attack and ran to the ballista. Fired it in time, and it took off just about all his HP. He died after 1-2 hits from my sword.

lol wut.

Primeau31

Umm...was this supposed to happen? Fought the Pursuer and I dodged his first attack and ran to the ballista. Fired it in time, and it took off just about all his HP. He died after 1-2 hits from my sword.

lol wut.

Yup, is the best way to beat him actually.

Kyuur

Me and my friend are kind of stumped on where to go now. We have 3 big souls:
Lost Sinner from Sinners' Rise
Spider from Brightstone Cove Tseldora
The thing from Black Gulch

I swear we need to rotate the contraption between the fire tower and Majula, but I have no idea how. We don't think we missed any locked paths or petrified people...

skynidas

Banned
Me and my friend are kind of stumped on where to go now. We have 3 big souls:
Lost Sinner from Sinners' Rise
Spider from Brightstone Cove Tseldora
The thing from Black Gulch

I swear we need to rotate the contraption between the fire tower and Majula, but I have no idea how. We don't think we missed any locked paths or petrified people...

yes, you have to do that. you have to exhaust the dialog options with the girl on the fire tower, then go to the contraption and she will help you there

Tried fighting the
Pursuer
and got cursed for my trouble. Used an effigy and my HP seems back to normal, but I have a little white circle with a cross through it under my life bar. How do I get rid of it?

takriel

This game is huge! Maybe it's just because everything is new the first time around, but man, there's so many different areas! I'm really digging it.

Randam

Bought it yesterday.
Dark souls 1 was prettier.
Framerate is worse.

Controls feel clunky. Idk.
Moving with left stick is weird.

Wtf were they think when they came up with the new "backstabs"??
Why would they change that?
This just feels off and looks stupid.

And how do ripostes work?
Managed to parry some guys but could pull of a riposte.
Landing a parry is weird too..

pantsmith

I like how I assumed
The Gutter
was the absolute last place I needed to go and I was overlooking something obvious.

Nope. Exactly where I was supposed to be.

Bought it yesterday.
Dark souls 1 was prettier.
Framerate is worse.

Controls feel clunky. Idk.
Moving with left stick is weird.

Wtf were they think when they came up with the new "backstabs"??
Why would they change that?
This just feels off and looks stupid.

And how do ripostes work?
Managed to parry some guys but could pull of a riposte.
Landing a parry is weird too..
Welcome to dark souls 2

Grinchy

Banned
I stumbled upon Belfry Luna as I was just exploring. I got invaded as soon as I went in, so I thought I'd try out that tree seed item that causes enemies to attack the invader. Little did I know, the invader is placed 8 feet away from you when they come into the world so it was a complete waste.

WX3

I'm struggling to find the character I want to play. I have about ten hours in the game, with three different characters! Dark Souls was like this too until finally finding a build I gravitated to. I tend to think I lack the skill to be great at these games, but I love the puzzle I have of finding the right combination of play style, weapon preference, and trial and error that ultimately sees me through to the credits.

So far I have avoided and magic. All builds are melee based which I find to be more exciting, but I really never gave magic a fair shake to judge its effectiveness.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Still early. Enjoying it. Two things I really loathe though:

1) Weapon durability. Drops ridiculously quickly and adds a layer of back-and-forth tedium that I don't think makes the game harder so much as more laborious. I get that they probably want equipment management to play a larger role, but I'm not feeling it.

2) Playing Dark Souls on PC makes you really appreciate the snappy load times higher end hardware can bring. Impatient as it sounds, having to wait 20 - 30 seconds between deaths as it loads in the last bonfire area gets old very quickly.

Not only have some of my items in Majula reset but down the hole
All the pharros lockstones in the rat king area are gone. And some items have respawned down here.

Freaking Dark Souls, man.

For a while I was just messing around, doing jolly co-operation in the two main starting areas and helping out with bosses to get some extra souls. I've pretty much exhausted exploring the two starter areas and cleared out all those bosses, leveling myself up to 52 and found a staff so I can use magic. My current armament set is dual-wield Falchion/Scimitar, dual-wield Flame Longsword/Straight Sword, and then a bow and a staff in the third slots. (Shields are for wimps.) With firebombs, throwing knives, and those magic bombs, I'm pretty much an unstoppable offensive tornado.

Or so I think.

I finally head to a new area,
No-Man's Wharf after Heide's Tower, and holy shit does that area royally kick my ass and make my sphincter tight. I died a few times getting used to the viking-ish guys attack patterns, but then I start doing really well. Except those long-armed freak things scare the shit out of me, and having to deal with SEVEN of them just to get to the drunk guy that sells poison shit exhausted my limited supply of magic and put my flame weapon near the breaking point. I manage to open the door for somewhat of a shortcut and summon the ship with the bell, along with finding a sorcerer dude chilling on the docks willing to sell me some more spells.

And then an enemy just spawns out of nowhere and kills me. Like, honestly I think it was a glitch because I walked over the section of dock four or five times back and forth and there was nothing, then suddenly bam enemy that took me by surprise and killed me. At least I have somewhat of a shortcut, and tomorrow is going to be dedicated to getting on that ship and seeing what's what.

As a random note: there was a message written saying "shortcut" next to this wheel looking thing near the NPC. But as far as I could tell it didn't actually do anything. Was that just a trick by some guy to make you think a background object was important, or did I miss a better shortcut?

Gosh I'm glad graphics were the last reason I was excited for this game.
Played a couple of hours earlier in the morning and left really impressed with everything except how hits react to shields. Really dull reactions there. Otherwise I really like the animations.

Forest of Giants spoilers.
A black raven dropped some crazy hovering knight on me. As I ran away to heal he proceeded to melt into the ground, never to be seen again.
Also found a Fire Longsword. Might give that one a shot.

2) Playing Dark Souls on PC makes you really appreciate the snappy load times higher end hardware can bring. Impatient as it sounds, having to wait 20 - 30 seconds between deaths as it loads in the last bonfire area gets old very quickly.

Try invading someone else's game three times in a row only for them to be dead on arrival each time. 2 load screens each time for nothing.

1) Weapon durability. Drops ridiculously quickly and adds a layer of back-and-forth tedium that I don't think makes the game harder so much as more laborious. I get that they probably want equipment management to play a larger role, but I'm not feeling it.

You know, I've seen a lot of people say things about weapon durability, but I haven't had any problems with any of my weapons. Maybe I just return to bonfires more often than other people, but I've only once had a weapon get below 1/3 durability. Then again, I'm switching back and forth between three different sets of weapons on a regular basis, too.

Okay, so there's an icon under my life bar I don't quite understand. It looks like a white circle with a red line through it. Anyone have any ideas? I was cursed by
the pursuer
before, but I'm pretty sure I got rid of that.

AJLma

So I just defeated
The Lost Sinner

He apparently gave me an
Old One's Soul
(?) according to the maiden. Is he
one of the 4 great souls that you're after
in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom