• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randam

It is definitely hard; I would only ever parry a person if I study what weapon they're using and how fast it swings. Its very unforgiving if you mess up a parry too lol. I have not yet encountered someone using a dagger or estoc/fence weapon yet, so I can't confirm. I would assume so though!
No more partial parrys?

Missing a parry but still getting less damage.

Arcayne

I can parry pretty good in demon's and dark souls one but here it seems off.

And "fall on their buts"?
Do I have to wait for that to happen?

And how do parries look?
Unsatisfying like the new back"stabs"?

Yeah I agree, can't seem to time a parry as well in this game as DS1.
From my understanding, yes. You could riposte a few frames faster, but I always end up mistakenly R1'ing instead of completing the riposte.

The parries/ripose look pretty damn cool, at least to me. haha

Edit: Can't confirm partial parries in this game. Perhaps a more seasoned DS2 player can chime in :)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Played this game for a few hours yesterday and don't want to sugar coat anything.

It looks absolutely horrible. Aside from some nice draw distance this, to me, looks like a PS2 game and runs even worse. I played DS1 just a few days ago and am pretty sure that the average framerate is worse than in DS1.

Whereas I had no problems finding myself into Demons Souls after finishing Dark Souls I struggled to get into DS2 yesterday - big time. Maybe it's just me but I feel like the game has way more unfair moments already than DS1, where it was mostly up to your skill or impatience when you died.

I'm really not feeling this game yet. Played up to the first boss (who one hitted me) and then quit. Will try again to find my way in this weekend. Pretty disappointed so far.

I don't agree at all. I think this game looked a good deal better than dark souls.

I asked too, afaik nobody's even been able to guess so it can't be huge. I haven't noticed anything.
Thanks. I googled a bit too, it looks like they haven't released patch notes yet.

My copy just arrived (....squeal!....) so I think I'll just plow in and dl patch next time I'm on PSN.

edit - Nice, I got one of the metal artwork cards too, the dude with the spiked club/hemlet.

I joined the Blue Sentinels. This is gonna be fun crushing invaders.

On a side note, before that I tried to invade people but my crushed red-eye orb had the 'use' function greyed out. Is there some requirement for invading people? I'm not familiar with it as I played through Dark Souls I completely offline. I used a soapstone and was summoned so I know the servers are working.

You have to be in human form my friend. You can invade anywhere for the most part.

What's the difference between small white sign soapstone and the big one?

Small one just has a lower amount of time you can spend in someones world.

Could someone elaborate on how the (covenant)
Blue Sentinal counter-l
invasions work? Do I have to go to a certain area or something? I'm gonna assume its cuz people haven't gotten a hold of the (item)
red eye orb
yet.

Anyways, I got bored of waiting for a summon and joined the (covenant)
Bell Guardians
. Man its fun, lol.

Yeah It seems it's cause of that. Nobody seems to be invading at all.
cracked red eye orbs are harder to come across, and you have to be in human form to use them. I don't think there's a whole red eye orb in this game. Haven't noticed one anyway.

Exr

The Japanese are all over Bell Tower atm, ended up clearing it but now I can't get enough invading/helping in that area. Really loving it.

Filth

Did some sun broing earlier and found out apparently something I did in the
Earthen Keep
made my boss fight there much easier.

One of the Lockstones drains the boss room, which I didn't realize. I only found out when I got summoned and found the entire room flooded with poison (and you get to mover super slow too). Definetly going to suck for people that didn't explore or didn't have enough lockstones.

No you put something on fire.

Exr

Once you beat the bell tower boss you have to go from a bonfire down a ladder into a pit of goddamn dogs. What the hell can you do?

cheezcake

Anyone have experience with the (boss soul weapon)
warped sword
?

The dex scaling looks nice but I've got no idea what the movesets gonna be like.

Also any idea where I can get some effigies, I had 6 but burned through them between (Lost Bastille spoilers)
The Lost Sinner and Belfry Gargoyles

Is it normal that I lose a bit health even though I'm blocking? I can't remember this being the case in DS1.

Shield's have certain physical reduction ratings and Dark Souls 2 doesn't bring 100% guard shields into the mix until much later on and they're very heavy. If you look at the stats your shield is probably 75-90%

Anyone have experience with the (boss soul weapon)
warped sword
?

The dex scaling looks nice but I've got no idea what the movesets gonna be like.

It controls like a Rapier.

Antagon

Is it normal that I lose a bit health even though I'm blocking? I can't remember this being the case in DS1.

Shields have a block percentage, was the same in DS1. In the first game there were several starting shields that already had 100% block though, while the warrior shield in this game is 85% block for example. Not sure if there are shields with 100% block in this game, but I'm guessing there are.

Sakura

Played this game for a few hours yesterday and don't want to sugar coat anything.

It looks absolutely horrible. Aside from some nice draw distance this, to me, looks like a PS2 game and runs even worse. I played DS1 just a few days ago and am pretty sure that the average framerate is worse than in DS1.

Whereas I had no problems finding myself into Demons Souls after finishing Dark Souls I struggled to get into DS2 yesterday - big time. Maybe it's just me but I feel like the game has way more unfair moments already than DS1, where it was mostly up to your skill or impatience when you died.

I'm really not feeling this game yet. Played up to the first boss (who one hitted me) and then quit. Will try again to find my way in this weekend. Pretty disappointed so far.

A PS2 game... really?

The game may not be that impressive visual wise but it's hardly bad. It's better than Dark Souls 1 in my opinion. The framerate too I find to be more stable. I've played over 20 hours and at no point has it ever felt like it's dipped below 20, unlike Dark Souls where there were some rough spots. The framerate could be better for sure but it's not that bad, hasn't affected my gameplay.

I also disagree about it being unfair. I've never gotten to a part yet where I've been killed by something that just didn't feel fair. You need to be patient and cautious and you'll be fine.

MilkBeard

I agree with you as well. Even the art direction is a step up.

I find that the art direction is great and a step up from Dark Souls I. However, there are tradeoffs to the new design/engine, like framerate and having worse AA. Respectively, I haven't encountered anything in Dark Souls II that is anywhere near as rushed as some of the worse areas in DS I. There are also some newer looking effects as well that look really cool. Being in the bottom level of Sinner's Rise looks pretty amazing, almost next-gen looking.

The beginning area is pretty rough though and it gives a bad impression. This game could really use the 1080p treatment with better AA and it would look really good. I hope for a PS4 version one day.

Dresden

Found the ember and unlocked the vendor that sells infinite large titanite shards. Which is good and all, but no one has regular titanite shards in stock... good lord, did this not come up during testing?

Raxus

Found the ember and unlocked the vendor that sells infinite large titanite shards. Which is good and all, but no one has regular titanite shards in stock... good lord, did this not come up during testing?

Where is that ember?

I hear the there is a way to get unlimited titanite shards too but both my vendors that sold them are out of stock.

Carcetti

I really like Dark Souls threads. They're like a blowback to the old days when people were really mystified by games' secrets. All this sharing of experiences and hints gives a feeling of community.

Carcetti

The
fat guys at Harvest Valley
drop a lot of titanite if you farm them to extinction.

Lol look what I found:

Rat covenant is full of really bad players... and I'm saying this as someone in the Rat covenant. Ratlords can't play for sh*t, really suck at actually fighting instead of relying on mobs and traps, and can't do a damn thing if you're actually good.

I'm here for the lockstones. Once i have about 100, I'm leaving back to Bluebros. As soon as people get stuff figured out, Ratlord will be the worst covenant. They will cry on the forums about how underpowered they are, when they were OP in the beginning, and this is just karma for them acting cool. It'll be hilarious to watch Ratbros become an underused Forest wannabe.

Honestly? Everyone should play Ratbro, just to get their lockstones, then overlevel themselves to infinity and reverse gank them because tears happen every time you kill a ratlord.

Rat covenant brings in the salt yo

Honourable players can't take it when they get their ass handed to them by trash mobs like the sewer rats.

So I found the location of the
pirate ship
today, but I couldn't find away to get in. It was too far in the sea. How do I get in?

Also, is there a place to buy or get more Pharros Lockstones? I only found the one in the beginning of the game, and bought the one that the old hag had.

stone trader chloanne sells them- you obviously havent gotten to her yet

Chloanne has infinite regular titanite shards after you clear the
Iron Keep.

Ferr986

This talk about framerate... I guess its with the PS3 version right? Because 360 version as been really smooth for me, I would dare to say it goes higher than 30 fps in some areas.

Persona7

Banned
I find that the art direction is great and a step up from Dark Souls I. However, there are tradeoffs to the new design/engine, like framerate and having worse AA. Respectively, I haven't encountered anything in Dark Souls II that is anywhere near as rushed as some of the worse areas in DS I. There are also some newer looking effects as well that look really cool. Being in the bottom level of Sinner's Rise looks pretty amazing, almost next-gen looking.

The beginning area is pretty rough though and it gives a bad impression. This game could really use the 1080p treatment with better AA and it would look really good. I hope for a PS4 version one day.

Yeah, these games are definitely limited by the hardware.

Danielsan

So, run to the store today to get the PS3 version or wait a couple of week and jump in fresh with the superior PC version?
I see a lot of negative remarks with regards to the framerate and graphics...

Persona7

Banned
This talk about framerate... I guess its with the PS3 version right? Because 360 version as been really smooth for me, I would dare to say it goes higher than 30 fps in some areas.

The PS3 version does hit 50 or 60 FPS in certain areas but when a lot of stuff is going on it really chugs.

phierce

So I found the location of the
pirate ship
today, but I couldn't find away to get in. It was too far in the sea. How do I get in?

Also, is there a place to buy or get more Pharros Lockstones? I only found the one in the beginning of the game, and bought the one that the old hag had.
There's a bell to ring on an upper platform that calls the ship to the dock. If you drop down to the dock level, you've gone too far and have to homewad bone back...or
die.

So, run to the store today to get the PS3 version or wait a couple of week and jump in fresh with the superior PC version?
I see a lot of negative remarks with regards to the framerate and graphics...

PS3 version is what Im rocking. Haters be damned-game is beautiful, fun, and challenging. SL 89- woot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom