• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
About the Bell Tower convenant, if I
pull the lever and ring the bell at the top
and/or
kill the boss
, do I forfeit the
convenant and can't invade people anymore
? I want to keep pvping and accumulate as much
titanite chunks
possible.

Still works, did the same.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If you didn't start as a Cleric, you can get the Cleric's basic Chime
in Majula, right as you come out of the cave from Things Betwixt, follow the path and shortly there-after there should be a little drop off to a small ledge. The Cleric's chime and mace is there. Not sure where any others are since I don't really use them much.

Huh alright. Must have missed this. Thank you.

Got it yesterday. Been playing non-stop, having heaps of fun. The movement and sense of control of your character does feel inferior to Dark Souls, so I might not be playing it for years and years to come like I did with that game, but right now I'm having a blast finding treasure and exploring and stuff!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got it yesterday. Been playing non-stop, having heaps of fun. The movement and sense of control of your character does feel inferior to Dark Souls, so I might not be playing it for years and years to come like I did with that game, but right now I'm having a blast finding treasure and exploring and stuff!

Did you raise adaptability?

ittoryu

oh shit I didn't know this was in the box too

ibpxdhPtSbsuCA.png

ibJPviibhwT7D.png

Dat scee office, dat kit. :)

What edition is this?

I'll finally be able to play the game online tonight, I hope.

Arcayne

Did you raise adaptability?

^

The more points allocated to Adaptability, the more the controls and movement feel the same as DS1. Especially the rolling!

Havel

Need a favour, GAF.

I have a friend currently playing through and he can't find the Claymore. Do we have any idea where that is yet?

pronk420

i just got to the
lost bastille
and it feels like i'm nearly done...right? i never made it past blightown in dark solus 1 and it feels like i'm making way more progress in this

Marcel

any tips on
scorpion girl?, she is kicking my ass,
i'm a playing a halberd + shield char.

Standing toward her middle area (sides, torso, whatever) allows you to both do damage, avoid the forward/back tail swing and easily read her attacks. Since you're a halberd guy, only attack when it's uber-safe as she can counter you with a spear thrust very easily if you get greedy.

It's also a popular area for summoning so grab a buddy if you feel like it. I was Sun Broing there just yesterday, helping people get through.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Need a favour, GAF.

I have a friend currently playing through and he can't find the Claymore. Do we have any idea where that is yet?
Earliest he can get it is in the
misty forest area with the fog, hug the left wall and you'll eventually reach a merchant that sells it

mugwhump

Man, I disagree so hard. To me the controls feel sooooo much better. Much more fluid.

So I was enjoying Dark Souls 2... Then I got to The Gutter.

(Location spoilers, just in case)
Thankfully I had over an hour of torch built up and I made it through to the bonfire just fine, but MAN that is a daunting looking place at first. I'd love to see it all lit up.

Yuterald

Was going to hold off playing my copy until I had more time, but I couldn't resist. Opened my copy and played for a bit last night...WOW! As an old school From fan, the first couple areas in the game felt like so many of their previous games. Things Betwixt (the intro cavern/area) was so fucking the hub/nexus from Shadow Tower Abyss. It was so primordial and tree-like in nature, the atmosphere and even down to small things like the particles/embers blowing around the air. Incredible.

Then I got to Majula...holy shit. I felt like I was playing/seeing a modern day Evergrace for a second. The autumn-like setting, the cliff-side sea town, etc. I was instantly reminded of the opening area from Evergrace, Saranad Hill. There's even a guy chilling/sitting up against a wall near the starting area that looks like he's wielding a Moonlight Sword! I felt like there was so much deep fan service right out of the gate. Very impressed!

mellow

oh shit I didn't know this was in the box too

ibpxdhPtSbsuCA.png

ibJPviibhwT7D.png

I got this one too, and it was the one of the four possible that I wanted the least T___T mine was like 2300 of 2500 though.

Also itseems like the EU black armour edition case differs from the NA one, at least from what I've seen, ours (EU) doesn't have lettering on the case. I kinda prefer that.

Played some more tonight. Got motion sickness again. Sigh. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the way the camera moves and/or the field of view. General look of the game doesn't seem as crisp/nice as Dark Souls.. I dunno. Everything feels very choppy/clunky. I still think it's gotta be just the camera/fov making me ill, though.

Doesn't matter how slow/fast I have the camera set, I still get nauseous.

So disappointing. I even bought the CE and I rarely buy CEs, but souls games are the best there is these days in my opinion so there was no question.

Is there an official forum/contact that I can query about this? Via google I can see a few other people are reporting the same problem, and 1-2 others in this thread at least.

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
OK quick question, what"s the purpose of lightning a torch ?

Other than that almost everything is new to me as I didn't spoil myself with previews. And man oh man what a game. So much secrets and so many things I don't what they are for?

Is it me or the story is more vague than DS1 ?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Trading a kill with an enemy and dying needs to be fixed.

You lose the drop and souls forever if they don't respawn.

You can get infinite souls through covenants, so that doesnt matter much, the drops on the other hand... but then again, they are only % chances anyway, so just consider it a drop that didnt drop :p

Dont see them changing that.

What needs fixing for real is item drops falling through wooden planks. I smoked a lizard and the drop just fell right through the bridge it was on.

Arcayne

The heide knight sword was critical to my cleric build early on and now he's fucked.

As a cleric myself, the mace's dmg dwarfs that of Heide's Knight Sword, scales better (with strength), but has low attack range. Regardless, I recommend restarting to get it since its range and surprise R2 thrust is pretty good in early pvp.

beril

Can anyone explain when it's possible to invade? I did it once (and got killed) but ever since, I can't use Cracked Red Eye Orbs. It's not that I want to to be a douche, but I assume the NPCs who won't talk to me because I don't have any darkness wants me to invade and kill innocent people.

Never really understood the blue orbs either, I joined the right covenant but still couldn't use it, then one time I suddenly could but nothing happened.

Muddimar

Played some more tonight. Got motion sickness again. Sigh. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the way the camera moves and/or the field of view. General look of the game doesn't seem as crisp/nice as Dark Souls.. I dunno. Everything feels very choppy/clunky. I still think it's gotta be just the camera/fov making me ill, though.

Doesn't matter how slow/fast I have the camera set, I still get nauseous.

So disappointing. I even bought the CE and I rarely buy CEs, but souls games are the best there is these days in my opinion so there was no question.

Is there an official forum/contact that I can query about this? Via google I can see a few other people are reporting the same problem, and 1-2 others in this thread at least.

I had this problem with Skyrim when it first released. I went to the local vitamin shop and picked up some ginger pills. If I took a few before my playing sessions; it would keep me from getting nauseated.

nOoblet16

I'm not liking that the health gets reduced after each death. Why penalise when death is the way forward? They removed it in Dark Souls 1 coming from demon's and now it's back in a different format.

Plus there are some things near the start of the game that irk me, like I can only get one health refill from the estus flask, the enemies are quite powerful and more in line with what you fight 1-2 hours in Dark Souls 1 rather than the very first few enemies, the first boss fight is in a tiny area with a guy who does large sweep attacks that can push you back (yes I tried to strafe him but died anyway cause I was trying to recover my health).

A question: what is the location between
huntsman corpse
and
harvest valley
, and how do you get there? It seems I skipped that entire location, as it's about the only black box on the fast travel menu left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom