• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like Dark Souls threads. They're like a blowback to the old days when people were really mystified by games' secrets. All this sharing of experiences and hints gives a feeling of community.

Errr thats how any rpg OT thread is. RPG's are usually full of secrets and great loot :)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So Dark Souls underboob is now a thing

EVmTBkM.png

There's a bell to ring on an upper platform that calls the ship to the dock. If you drop down to the dock level, you've gone too far and have to homewad bone back...or
die.

Umm I just went back to the cave I came from and called back the elevator. It's in the Lost Bastille, right?

RoeBear

Found the ember and unlocked the vendor that sells infinite large titanite shards. Which is good and all, but no one has regular titanite shards in stock... good lord, did this not come up during testing?

The lady from
Harvest Valley
will go to Majula if you exhaust her talk option. She should have infinite shards, however, someone has stated that she doesn't have any in stock for them. She should also sell stones to imbue elements but she doesn't stock them for me. Pretty much she's a buggy NPC.

Dresden

Chloanne has infinite regular titanite shards after you clear the
Iron Keep.

Ughhhhhh I hate that place. Thanks.

Where is that ember?

I hear the there is a way to get unlimited titanite shards too but both my vendors that sold them are out of stock.

It's near the beginning of
the Iron Keep. In the room with the furnace to the middle, look to the right and you'll see an archer overhead. It's on a corpse below him, you'll have to make a jump.

K.Sabot

Finished today.

Certainly enjoyed it more than DS1 (a game I've played more than 10 times) , more amazing locations, more cool weapons, more everything. Less enjoyable PvP experience though, someone give me a red eye orb please.

Patch that shit into the game or I will whine ad nauseam.

Garcia

Well, both bosses inside
Earthen Peak
were the lamest. . .

So, guys, is there any way to clear that poison from the floor? :eek:

ITS HERE! PRAISE THE SUN!!!

iBAxQot8dDkig.png

this weekend is going to be unproductive

It's funny. I knew the thing was 12" tall when I pre-ordered it, but it's something else entirely when you see it in person. That thing is huge. I felt awkward walking out of the store toting it in hand. Oh well... just wish I had more free time to play it.

Is there a specific thing to do in order to get Pharros Lockstones? Or are you just expected to find them as go along the game? I haven't found any new ones for the past 12 hours at this point.

DemonNite

It's funny. I knew the thing was 12" tall when I pre-ordered it, but it's something else entirely when you see it in person. That thing is huge. I felt awkward walking out of the store toting it in hand. Oh well... just wish I had more free time to play it.

same but I went with Amazon to avoid talking to shop staff :p

I really shouldn't be playing this weekend but I have to make time!

Klyka

Banned
I feel like the gameplay is like DS1, so it's good,but the technical side just has huge glaring problems. I don't even mean the horrible framerate or the whole lighting downgrade fiasco.

Just like, there are so many times where hitboxes are suddenly broken and you get hit from miles away. Or times where your character stands there doing nothing even though you hammer on your buttons (yes i tried multiple controllers). Or when you hit a guy with your sword and you can se it ging through them but it does no damage. Or when enemies run at you then stop and just stand there with broken AI.

I am really not sure if switching to a new engine and then releasing the game this quickly was a good idea.

The meta game of....

Boss tactics spoiler
Of getting people to light the windmill on fire to drain the poison for the medusa boss without sending a message is really really frustrating

A PS2 game... really?

The game may not be that impressive visual wise but it's hardly bad. It's better than Dark Souls 1 in my opinion. The framerate too I find to be more stable. I've played over 20 hours and at no point has it ever felt like it's dipped below 20, unlike Dark Souls where there were some rough spots. The framerate could be better for sure but it's not that bad, hasn't affected my gameplay.
That was just my impression. I just came directly from DS1, which I played the 2 days ago. It just looks a lot worse to me. Could be due to the fact that the DS1 picture was generally a bit more blurred, whereas the DS2 picture is very sharp and with that horrible textures are much more noticeable. And the missing lightning does a lot to it too. DS2 appears to have zero reflections on the characters armor, which makes everything appear very cheap.

I also disagree about it being unfair. I've never gotten to a part yet where I've been killed by something that just didn't feel fair. You need to be patient and cautious and you'll be fine.
Minor spoiler, very early in the game:

When you encounter the first Turtel Knight there is a room acress with 3-4 ballista. When you enter it all of them are fired and 3 (if the arrows don't hit 4) regular enemies comes out of that room at once and attack you at the same time. That is basically instant death for you because there is no way to block all 4 of them. I had to retry several times until I was finally able to separate them from one another a bit and kill them. This is very luck based imo and also frustrating when you have such a low level. Shortly after at some stairs you again encounter a whole mob of these guys. Sure, you can try to parry and get rid of one or two for a few seconds but if you miss a single parry --> instant death.

Idk, but for me this was quite frustrating. DS1 was a lot about patience and timing but does not play a role in situations like the one I mentioned above. Especially when you lack a shield that fully blocks an attack at the beginning.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm in earthen peak
and found pate. a bit after him in the room with the 2 firechicks there's a chest -- it looked to me like it had teeth so I attacked, but I guess it was a normal chest and I destroyed the treasure. what was in it?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I cant fucking stop playing this game.

...and I work at home. Currently I am doing short work breaks to defend the bell for the bell covenant.

anddo0

I've never used a bastard sword in a souls game before. It's a pretty good weapon. My Explorer has basically evolved into a knight.

Arcayne

...and I work at home. Currently I am doing short work breaks to defend the bell for the bell covenant.

Seriously, I am way beyond my bedtime and I feel completely energized right now. Its crazy; I haven't felt so into a game since... well crap, Dark Souls 1, BUT before that, I don't even remember

They don't exist in DS2. Miracles are used by "Chimes" now.

Speaking of which, where do I get a new chime? Still using default one.

Clevinger

So, run to the store today to get the PS3 version or wait a couple of week and jump in fresh with the superior PC version?
I see a lot of negative remarks with regards to the framerate and graphics...

Just look at footage that's come out since release and decide for yourself.

MilkBeard

I can't wait until like 3 or so months when everyone has played through the game and starts invading like hell. It's gonna be fun to invade and also join the Blue Sentinels. Right now the invading scene is pretty barren.

anddo0

I seriously hate this covenant. I got trolled twice in under five minutes (human/undead) making my way through there. I'd never been invaded before that point.

Do you guys always attack in pairs?

Rolfgang

Aaaaaaand that's a no, god damn where are my katanas and scythes =(

I friggin' love my Estoc! I really don't like exposing myself too much, so I love weapons like the rapier, estoc and spears, where I can attack with my shield up. Makes me feel all Spartan-like.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I seriously hate this covenant. I got trolled twice in under five minutes (human/undead) making my way through there. I'd never been invaded before that point.

Do you guys always attack in pairs?

That happens often, yeah. I recommend you summoning one of the other players at the bonfire.

Thank you for that info, but where are the chimes at then? :p

If you didn't start as a Cleric, you can get the Cleric's basic Chime
in Majula, right as you come out of the cave from Things Betwixt, follow the path and shortly there-after there should be a little drop off to a small ledge. The Cleric's chime and mace is there. Not sure where any others are since I don't really use them much.

Arcayne

About the Bell Tower convenant, if I
pull the lever and ring the bell at the top
and/or
kill the boss
, do I forfeit the
convenant and can't invade people anymore
? I want to keep pvping and accumulate as much
titanite chunks
possible.

Garcia

That was just my impression. I just came directly from DS1, which I played the 2 days ago. It just looks a lot worse to me. Could be due to the fact that the DS1 picture was generally a bit more blurred, whereas the DS2 picture is very sharp and with that horrible textures are much more noticeable. And the missing lightning does a lot to it too. DS2 appears to have zero reflections on the characters armor, which makes everything appear very cheap.

That's pretty close to what I think about DS2. Wait until you reach the top of
"Earthen Keep"
... When you do, please, look at the roof (inside the building, right before you enter the 2nd. boss). Tell me if that's not one of most fucking ugly things you've ever seen in a videogame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom