• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Can someone tell me where the boss souls guy is after you originally meet him? He moves from his location. I'm in
dragon country
now, pretty close to the end I think.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone explain when it's possible to invade? I did it once (and got killed) but ever since, I can't use Cracked Red Eye Orbs. It's not that I want to to be a douche, but I assume the NPCs who won't talk to me because I don't have any darkness wants me to invade and kill innocent people.

Never really understood the blue orbs either, I joined the right covenant but still couldn't use it, then one time I suddenly could but nothing happened.
If all the conditions are met for invading and your cracked orbs are grayed out it's just a server glitch. Exit and reload your save file and you should be able to use them again. Have had it happen to me a couple of times

Klyka

Banned
I'm not liking that the health gets reduced after each death. Why penalise when death is the way forward? They removed it in Dark Souls 1 coming from demon's and now it's back in a different format.

Plus there are some things near the start of the game that irk me, like I can only get one health refill from the estus flask, the enemies are quite powerful and more in line with what you fight 1-2 hours in Dark Souls 1 rather than the very first few enemies, the first boss fight is in a tiny area with a guy who does large sweep attacks that can push you back (yes I tried to strafe him but died anyway cause I was trying to recover my health).

the health reduction thing isn't really a big deal. either turn human and refill your health or just get summoned a few times and you're back.
I think they added it as not just added difficulty but to get people to co-op more.

steven28

oh shit I didn't know this was in the box too

ibpxdhPtSbsuCA.png

ibJPviibhwT7D.png

Nice.. i got this design

artcard_3._V368063580_.jpg

2AdEPT

From the get go, where is the quickest place to find an object to cast miracles with?
Assuming you didn't start as a cleric?
Majula ...laying on the cliff ledges or in Heide after Dragon Rider.
I had this problem with Skyrim when it first released. I went to the local vitamin shop and picked up some ginger pills. If I took a few before my playing sessions; it would keep me from getting nauseated.

yeah first person shooters do it to me, but for third person its only bad when my son plays and I am watching him....I cant watch he wonks the camera around waaaaay too fast and it is too jerky. when I operate my own camera I am fine.

MilkBeard

Whew, beat the
bell gargoyles
first try. It was a long fight though, because I had to herd them like sheep and pick them off in the most ideal times.

It's funny, because later in the game I'm finding the Lifegems to be quite useful. They help keep me flowing instead of stopping.

Arcayne

Can anyone explain when it's possible to invade? I did it once (and got killed) but ever since, I can't use Cracked Red Eye Orbs. It's not that I want to to be a douche, but I assume the NPCs who won't talk to me because I don't have any darkness wants me to invade and kill innocent people.

Never really understood the blue orbs either, I joined the right covenant but still couldn't use it, then one time I suddenly could but nothing happened.

First real, consistent spot to pvp is when you reach
Lost Bastille, kill the boss, goto room with bonfire and climb down stairs, use pharros stone to unlock hidden passage, hit glowing wall, talk to npc, and join the covenant. equip ring and prepare to invade over and over again.
. Fun stuff!

I'm picking this up in April on PC, but a few of my friends have said that it feels more like a sequel to Demon's Souls than Dark Souls. They were a little unclear though - can someone elaborate on this, if they agree?

Guys can you tell me how STR scales. Is it like DS where its 1.5 stat increase if you two hand and the scaling follows as well.

For instance a 40/40 Claymore has the same AR as a 40/28 claymore when two handed in DS.

cheezcake

Wow so (Earthen Peak item)
I'm pretty disappointed you can get petrified something in the normal game, should have went with seed of the tree of giants

I'm picking this up in April on PC, but a few of my friends have said that it feels more like a sequel to Demon's Souls than Dark Souls. They were a little unclear though - can someone elaborate on this, if they agree?
Limited healing resources - you get very few Estus charges, gotta use Lifegems instead -, Undead form works more like Soul form now - you lose a bit of max HP every time you die plus how it works with multiplayer, invasions and helping people with bosses - fast travelling from the start so Bonfires work more like Archstones, gotta go to a specific NPC to level up. There's probably more but that's what I noticed so far.

Grudy

Guys anyone found a better staff than the starting one that doesn't require too much faith? I'm building towards a battle mage and not planning to put too much into faith just to use a better staff (right now got 8 points in faith).

Grudy

Guys can you tell me how STR scales. Is it like DS where its 1.5 stat increase if you two hand and the scaling follows as well.

For instance a 40/40 Claymore has the same AR as a 40/28 claymore when two handed in DS.

Holding a weapon with 2 hands actually doubles your str instead of multiplying by 1.5 in this game.

Manus

The meta game of....

Boss tactics spoiler
Of getting people to light the windmill on fire to drain the poison for the medusa boss without sending a message is really really frustrating

Point emote has really helped me there in getting people to light it.

nOoblet16

the health reduction thing isn't really a big deal. either turn human and refill your health or just get summoned a few times and you're back.
I think they added it as not just added difficulty but to get people to co-op more.

But it makes things a bit hard at start because you cannot turn to human just yet and nor can you get summoned or summon.

Leunam

Stopped playing last night once I got to the Lost Bastille and the
Three Sentinels
. I'm sure I can beat it alone if I focus more closely on the fight, their patterns are easy enough to understand.

I have a question about one of the boss fights I was in. I summoned a phantom and a shade for The Pursuer. The shade did over a third of the bosses health in damage in one blow. Looked like it may have been a multi shot crossbow to the head. Anyone know what he could have done at that point?

OK quick question, what"s the purpose of lightning a torch ?

The torch can be used in certain situations to accomplish certain tasks. It's not always useful, but sometimes it's very useful. I won't say anything else to not spoil it.

A question: what is the location between
huntsman corpse
and
harvest valley
, and how do you get there? It seems I skipped that entire location, as it's about the only black box on the fast travel menu left.

There are two that come to mind:
Earthen Peak
or
Undead Purgatory
. I got to those two areas directly after
Huntsman's
in two different directions.

@_@ Wow, I'm really finally playing DS2, lol!

#1 - Were first person magic aiming and different spell strengths taken out? Can't find any info on them :(

#2 - Are people generally sticking with the L3 for jump or switching back? I was determined to get used to the new controls, but the first time I needed to jump over a gap and died, I realised it wasn't going to work for me so went back to circle.

#3 - I really like the character creation this time around. Despite the male hairstyles all seem geared to young characters, I found it really easy to get a pleasing mature gent look for my grand old sorcerer without him looking like the default animu kid. Proper beards too at last without having to jiggle the stubble sliders up and down for an almost 5 o'clock shadow like in DS1!

#4 - Wow, I think Things Betwixt looks *amazing* already. The stone podium you wake up reminds me of Demon's Souls tutorial area and on the other side of the house, it's just like the Great Hollow. I'm just trotting around slowly enjoying the view.

Got that card too. :)

ElFly

Point emote has really helped me there in getting people to light it.

Last night I had to use the point emote over and over to convince the host to pull the switches in Heide.

Then the other phantom joined me in pointing tasks. It was a solid five minutes of both of us standing in front of the completely lost host, turning around and pointing.

Then we wtfpwned the boss.

9WevUaj.png

Nintyb

Banned
The unstable 360 servers are quickly becoming an annoyance. I lay down a soapstone for a summon in front of a boss and it kicks me off. Lovely.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone tell me where the boss souls guy is after you originally meet him? He moves from his location. I'm in
dragon country
now, pretty close to the end I think.

I dunno if he moves later, but
after the first time he 'moves' just outside where you met him, out of sight round a corner. Be careful; the exploding zombies are still there and he's standing in the exact right place to get exploded if you mess up the timing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, is there a good guide to the equipment you can get in this game?

Actually just want to get out of my default sorcerer set. >_>

pronk420

Negative, ghost rider.

You're about
1/4th
in!

oh wow. i figured there can only be about 5 more locations from the warp screen.

i still fell like i'm somehow way over levelled compared to how DS1 went, where i really struggled to make it past the undead burg. i'm like level 40 and 12 hours or so in.

i discovered 1 weird trick to beat 2 of the early bosses
constantly run into them and at the same time around clockwise, made cathedral blue guy and dragronrider really easy. like literally run into them so you are touching them. apart from the AOE attacks where you need to back off they can't hit you because you will have circled around them after they lock into the attack animation

oh wow. i figured there can only be about 5 more locations from the warp screen.

i still fell like i'm somehow way over levelled compared to how DS1 went, where i really struggled to make it past the undead burg. i'm like level 40 and 12 hours or so in.

i discovered 1 weird trick to beat 2 of the early bosses
constantly run into them and at the same time around clockwise, made cathedral blue guy and dragronrider really easy. like literally run into them so you are touching them. apart from the AOE attacks where you need to back off they can't hit you because you will have circled around them after they lock into the attack animation

There's more. You can scroll down.

Celegus

Do I lose my pile of souls if I get killed in someone else's game as a phantom? I have 10k souls sitting in the [/spoiler]Sentinel[/spoiler] boss room that I'd really prefer not to lose. If I put a sign down and help someone else out for practice, will my own pile of souls disappear if I get killed? Or is it completely separate?

I try to select burn but it tells me I can't.

Use the effigy as an item from your inventory. They really could have explained that better, confused me for the longest time as well.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Stopped playing last night once I got to the Lost Bastille and the
Three Sentinels
. I'm sure I can beat it alone if I focus more closely on the fight, their patterns are easy enough to understand.

I have a question about one of the boss fights I was in. I summoned a phantom and a shade for The Pursuer. The shade did over a third of the bosses health in damage in one blow. Looked like it may have been a multi shot crossbow to the head. Anyone know what he could have done at that point?
There's a ballista in the room that you can fire at the boss. If you go solo it takes out 99% of his health, less if you have more phantoms since boss health increases. Unless you mean he did it with a weapon, in which case he has a (likely upgraded) avelyn crossbow, which fires 3 bolts successively.

KorrZ

How do you use the boss souls in this game? I've got quite a few built up in my item box now and I'd love to get some new gear.

so is it actually true that increasing adaptability makes raising shield/rolling quicker like in the previous souls games or is that a meme? i really can't tell

i'm thinking about re-speccing and taking all the points from faith into adaptability because i don't intend to use miracles (unless someones going to tell me thats a bad idea). is there any downside to respeccing or do i keep my soul level and souls?

Not sure about respeccing since I haven't done it yet, but adaptability definitely does make a difference. I started out as a warrior with a measly 5 ADP and just bringing it up to 10 drastically helped me out. I was taking so many hits just trying to raise my shield in time before.

pronk420

so is it actually true that increasing adaptability makes raising shield/rolling quicker like in the previous souls games or is that a meme? i really can't tell

i'm thinking about re-speccing and taking all the points from faith into adaptability because i don't intend to use miracles (unless someones going to tell me thats a bad idea). is there any downside to respeccing or do i keep my soul level and souls?

Leunam

There's a ballista in the room that you can fire at the boss. If you go solo it takes out 99% of his health, less if you have more phantoms since boss health increases. Unless you mean he did it with a weapon, in which case he has a (likely upgraded) avelyn crossbow, which fires 3 bolts successively.

That's nuts, I fought the dude once as a phantom and then twice on my own world. Can't believe I never noticed a ballista in there.

Fhtagn

I wish I was better at boos fights. Especially hearing that people beat bosses like the Sentinels with just the NPC.

I realized the sentinels are easiest with just the NPC summon. For one, real players aren't good at fighting them yet. For another, have you noticed what happens to your damage output when you summon in this game? Fighting them solo I did ~140 per hit, with one summon I did ~90 and with two I did ~70 or so. These aren't precise numbers but I definitely noticed this happening. The other players I'd summon would die halfway through, leaving me doing pathetic damage.

Doing it solo, I almost got it, but the fight dragged out too long. With the NPC, the balance was just right and I was shaking when I won because it came down to one hit in either direction would decide then fight.

Kazaam

ibpxdhPtSbsuCA.png

ibJPviibhwT7D.png

Same design. Plate no. 1772. I must say I really like the matte finish of the steelbook.
I'm so ready for this. I've been spending some time on the "lighting changed" thread for the past days since it was the only thread left where spoilers where kept to the minimum...

These lyrics from the All that jazz soundtrack work so well for me in regards to Dark Souls II right now: "Bye bye life, bye bye happiness. Hello loneliness, I think I'm gonna die..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom