• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxRaiDeNxX

Neo Member
Can you help me?
One of the two
statues
at the
drangleic castle
is still off, even if i kill a lot of mobs near it.
It is a bug or what?

Prototype

Seriously, considering all of the locations, fire ascetic and the option of being summoned, you are not going to run out of places to make runs in. Not even close and that is why fire ascetic itself is not in over abundance. But of course, it is still available as an option if you just have to make even more runs than you need in a particular area and don't want to go anywhere else.

I think they really just want to discourage hanging out and over farming the same regions in your own world because you get what you need as you go and there are more than enough areas to do runs in as is. It's called pacing and better resource management. Aspects which are fleshed out much better in this game.

I agree. I can also see how the mechanics in DS2 are trying to get people to play together.

I just noticed that one of my messages has been rated 364 times! lol "Try attacking" Pretty sure it was the one where you have to hit a door so that the ennemies behind it opens it up for you. The one right next to a Pharros doorway under the 5 ballistas near the beginning in the forest of fallen giants.

I'm pretty sure I'm one of those 364 people. Brilliant idea man, thanks.

MilkBeard

But I still feel like this is a giant underlying issue that needs to be addressed more vocally. I dont ever want to see this feature in another souls game, and the only way to ensure that it never happens again, is to get vocal.

Honestly I just don't see it as a problem, as the game was built with that function in mind. In my 25 hours of playing, there's only one area that some enemies stopped spawning, and it was an area that I was having a lot of trouble. But I made it through and it hasn't happened since. The thing is, it took a lot of retries to make that happen.

Anyway everyone has their own opinion about Souls games, but fighting low level enemies over and over is just one little part of a bigger picture-- changing up that formula doesn't really affect the whole. This is a new game, it's not Dark Souls, it's not Demon Souls, and everything from the weapon forging to item drops are built with it in mind.

With the way this game is designed, the despawn happens as a last resort-- they don't despawn easily, you have to have tons of trouble fighting in one particular area for it to happen. And if you like to farm, well, the game is gigantic with tons of enemies, so that kind of fixes the need to farm in any area.

This mechanic could have been an issue but in execution it fits well with the game.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Just killed something which looked like a red crystal lizard but it didn't drop anything, what's the deal with that.

Also I found how the way to craft boss weapons but I don't understand how it works.
She's offering me the old dragonslayer spear and lost sinners sword but I have don't a +10 of either weapon type. Is it not related to weapons anymore? If so how come I can't trade any of my other boss souls?
There's no base item anymore. You just trade the soul for the weapon. You need to have the soul on you and not in your item box. If you still can't trade, are you sure you have the given soul? You can see some (but not all?) of the boss gear even before you've gotten that boss soul I believe.

Also be aware that there is more than one NPC that trades for boss souls. I know of these:
Wizard dude in the Bastille, and the Harpy you rescue in the shadow woods area who then sets up shop in brightcove.

I just noticed that one of my messages has been rated 364 times! lol "Try attacking" Pretty sure it was the one where you have to hit a door so that the ennemies behind it opens it up for you. The one right next to a Pharros doorway under the 5 ballistas near the beginning in the forest of fallen giants.

I saw (and rated) that message!

AngryMoth

There's no base item anymore. You just trade the soul for the weapon. You need to have the soul on you and not in your item box. If you still can't trade, are you sure you have the given soul? You can see some (but not all?) of the boss gear even before you've gotten that boss soul I believe.

Also be aware that there is more than one NPC that trades for boss souls. I know of these:
Wizard dude in the Bastille, and the Harpy you rescue in the shadow woods area who then sets up shop in brightcove.
Are I didn't know about that other one thanks. I assume He'll take some of my other ones

MilkBeard

Oh yes, I think I remember that sign...it's a locked door and I seriously wouldn't have bothered doing that if it wasn't there....so thanks for that, ha ha.

Corpekata

Banned
ok let me rephrase my question:

i want to get the ember at iron keep. I am sly 58, with a +5 falchion. How do I get there and will i get slaughtered getting the ember?

Tough but possibly doable. It's a long trek.

Huntsmans Copse to Harvest Valley to Earthen Keep to Iron Keep. Some of the bosses on the way may roadblock you. The Ember itself is before the Iron Keep boss so you can probably grind away at it or suicide run but the enemies there are pretty tough. If you're past Lost Sinner it's probably a good path to travel anyway though.

SO JUST UPGRADE THE FALCHION I TAKE IT? Don't bother going Iron Keep yet?

Or...?

Most people are upwards of SL 100 at that point, so I say yeah, upgrade your falchion. If you haven't figured out how much of a pain in the ass it's going to be to get there, you really shouldn't be trying for Iron Keep.

Guevara

Wait, what? Trying that tonight (and rating your message).

R.I.P

Finally got the game today ( black armour edition + they even threw a poster in at my local mom 'n pop store). Having a lot of fun so far, though I'm only up to the second bonfire in
forest of fallen giants
with two shortcuts opened to it. The beginning definitely feels tougher to me than in Demon's or Dark 1. Controlling mobs feels a lot harder than in the earlier Souls games, groups of 3 or 4 of the hollow soldiers will absolutely destroy me if I'm not really careful and try to bait them into 1on1 battles.

BTW, is
the knight who is dropped in by the giant crow
supposed to respawn? I haven't actually killed him, the only time I encountered him I ran away like a coward as I was low on health and healing items. Went back to the spot twice and he didn't respawn on either try.

BTW, is
supposed to respawn? I haven't actually killed him, the only time I encountered him I ran away like a coward as I was low on health and healing items. Went back to the spot twice he didn't respawn on either try.

You'll meet him soon enough if you have an adventurous spirit.

Gorillaz

BTW, is
supposed to respawn? I haven't actually killed him, the only time I encountered him I ran away like a coward as I was low on health and healing items. Went back to the spot twice and he didn't respawn on either try.

lmao don't worry, you will definitely see him again

ignatiusthan

Neo Member
Does the PS3 menu lag for anyone else sometimes? I thought it was my controller but i think it's the game.

Yeah, I noticed it today. Wonder if it's loading from the disc. Also seems that pressing start can lead to a 2-3 second load, and the wait for NPC menus to show up is even longer.

Grakl

BTW, is

already answered, spoilers anyway:
he's an optional boss who doesn't show up again until later, and then he's a mandatory boss.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah, I noticed it today. Wonder if it's loading from the disc. Also seems that pressing start can lead to a 2-3 second load, and the wait for NPC menus to show up is even longer.

I notice this too, but not every time. I think it's actually a network issue moreso than a disc loading one. When the servers were down and I had to play offline, I didn't see the problem happening anymore.

One of the most annoying ones is when I just want to level up and the chick's dialog (which is long on its own to skip through) is halted and takes forever.

Was having a discussion with a co worker on this and were a bit confused. So repairing your items is done via the blacksmith right? There is no other way to restore your equipement other then him? Or is there? Also once an item is broke, can you fix it, and where? Blacksmith?

Was having a discussion with a co worker on this and were a bit confused. So repairing your items is done via the blacksmith right? There is no other way to restore your equipement other then him? Or is there? Also once an item is broke, can you fix it, and where?

Weapons have a meter. If that meter goes to 0 then you need to repair it with souls. If it's not empty then it refills at a bonfire.

Corpekata

Banned
Was having a discussion with a co worker on this and were a bit confused. So repairing your items is done via the blacksmith right? There is no other way to restore your equipement other then him? Or is there? Also once an item is broke, can you fix it, and where?

Repairing has been changed. Basically, you repair at bonfires automatically. You only need to fix an item when it totally breaks, which is at the blacksmith. There are also repair powders in the game but for the most part the blacksmith is who you want.

Fhtagn

Was having a discussion with a co worker on this and were a bit confused. So repairing your items is done via the blacksmith right? There is no other way to restore your equipement other then him? Or is there? Also once an item is broke, can you fix it, and where? Blacksmith?

everything auto repairs when you sit at a bonfire, but if they fully break, they need repair from a blacksmith. always keep a second weapon equipped for emergencies.

The character movement feels really stiff to me, it feels like a very good Souls clone. I will adjust, but for now the movement seems really robotic.

And backstabs seem harder to gauge if you've pulled it off successfully, for that split second at first there doesn't seem to be any sound effect or visual cue, then animation starts, but that split second makes me second guess every backstab.

And damn, they really stuck it hard to sorcerers, I had to level up STR about 3 or 4 points just to hold the crappiest shields.

Equipment is repaired every time you rest at a bonfire. However, once it breaks, you have to go repair it at a blacksmith.

This Pharros guy was a total troll.
You used a lock stone to turn out the lights! Got you good!

I knew that once I reached his hometown.
My reaction when I opened one and that axe throwing statue was behind it: "Oh hey what am I supposed to do with this statue? That's strange, nothing to interact with. What a waste... whatever I guess i'll ju- WHAT THE HELL THERE'S AN AXE STICKING OUT OF MY BACK FUCK FUCK FUCK WHAT"

traveler

Not Wario
The character movement feels really stiff to me, it feels like a very good Souls clone. I will adjust, but for now the movement seems really robotic.

And backstabs seem harder to gauge if you've pulled it off successfully, for that split second at first there doesn't seem to be any sound effect or visual cue, then animation starts, but that split second makes me second guess every backstab.

And damn, they really stuck it hard to sorcerers, I had to level up STR about 3 or 4 points just to hold the crappiest shields.

Re:first point- level adaptability.

Any advice on where I should go next? I just beat the
Old Sinner
and got my first "old one" soul or whatever. I also have a branch that I can use to unpetrify someone now.

I can unpetrify the woman
blocking the path to some forest
or I can talk to that miracles woman and let me use that contraption close to
Heide area
. or I can fall down the hole in the center of Majula. Hmm.

Any recommendations what my next target should be?

Weapons have a meter. If that meter goes to 0 then you need to repair it with souls. If it's not empty then it refills at a bonfire.

Repairing has been changed. Basically, you repair at bonfires automatically. You only need to fix an item when it totally breaks, which is at the blacksmith. There are also repair powders in the game but for the most part the blacksmith is who you want.

everything auto repairs when you sit at a bonfire, but if they fully break, they need repair from a blacksmith. always keep a second weapon equipped for emergencies.

Thanks guys! :D

Corpekata

Banned
Any advice on where I should go next? I just beat the
Old Sinner
and got my first "old one" soul or whatever. I also have a branch that I can use to unpetrify someone now.

I can unpetrify the woman
blocking the path to some forest
or I can talk to that miracles woman and let me use that contraption close to
Heide area
. or I can fall down the hole in the center of Majula. Hmm.

Any recommendations what my next target should be?

Miracles woman, though all three are viable, but the start of that area will be easier.
You'll also find an NPC on that path that will make getting into that hole a bit easier evantually

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
not finished by any means but so far this game is not as intimate as the other two souls games.

Yeah, From is very adamant in their design choices that they don't want anyone attempting a pure sorcery build in this game, even more than than its predecessors. I think they intend magic to be used purely as a complement to melee, which is a shame. I don't think I'll bother with an int build in this game.

d00d3n

Dear gaf,

Big fan of the original. The PC version of DS2 is already preordered on Steam. I now have a strong urge to double dip on PS3. What should I do?

Question about something I've never really done much of in the previous Souls games. How good is "Magic Weapon"? Like if I use that on my Flame sword (which is already imbued with Fire magic), does it replace the Fire or does it add Magic damage as well? How long does it last? Is it worth taking up a slot as a pseudo-melee Sorcerer (depends on the situation if I use magic or my sword)? I just unlocked my 5th attunement slot and I'm trying to figure out what I should add.

Thanks for any help!

Ultrabum

Question about something I've never really done much of in the previous Souls games. How good is "Magic Weapon"? Like if I use that on my Flame sword (which is already imbued with Fire magic), does it replace the Fire or does it add Magic damage as well? How long does it last? Is it worth taking up a slot as a Sorcerer? I just unlocked my 5th attunement slow and I'm trying to figure out what I should add.

Thanks for any help!

Pretty sure it works like gold pine resin, can't be applied to magic/fire/lightning weapons

Fhtagn

Dear gaf,

Big fan of the original. The PC version of DS2 is already preordered on Steam. I now have a strong urge to double dip on PS3. What should I do?

if you can afford it, go for it, it's amazing and you'll get into it before the community is openly talking about secrets and optimized strategies. it's very different playing this now than when I first played Dark Souls 4 months after launch and almost everything was already "solved."

and then you can recoup some of the money selling the ps3 version to a friend and get them hooked too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom