• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

Specifics? I'm sick of running around that place.

You have to
ring the bell and call the "ghost" ship, then get on board, defeat a somewhat easy boss, and in the room after the boss, search for a chest. Search for the chest BEFORE touching a thing looking like a table, or you will have to do it all over again, sans boss.

Can anybody help me. I'm stuck after beating the first boss

I went down the corridor where you have to light the torches and arrived to a zone where there are like 5 tortoise-knights and there is a bonfide hidden in a small round chamber

Oh, and what should I level up on a Swordmaster, DEX or STR?

Gorillaz

I went down the corridor where you have to light the torches and arrived to a zone where there are like 5 tortoise-knights and there is a bonfide hidden in a small round chamber

as of right now, unless someone here has the answers already, it's a "dead end"

Alebelly

Was this explicitly detailed anywhere in the game? I couldn't even find torches anywhere in my inventory/equipment after it told me I'd picked up torches.

Look in your equipment menu, the torch is automatically equipped and has a timer next to it. One torch gives you 5:00 minutes and each additional torch you find adds 5:00 to that timer

JeTmAn81

Look in your equipment menu, the torch is automatically equipped and has a timer next to it. One torch gives you 5:00 minutes and each additional torch you find adds 5:00 to that timer

Is it possible for them to disappear? I'm pretty sure they were not listed for me, in spite of an earlier message telling me I'd picked them up. I haven't used any of them either.

ElFly

Oh, and what should I level up on a Swordmaster, DEX or STR?

You got a new key. Try to open more doors in the castle with that key

Mazre

Co-op story - Lost Bastille
So I was making my first foray into the area and as I happened to be human decided to try and summon up some phantoms. First few failed but I finally hit upon a sword and board guy and off we went. Crushing hounds with one swing of the ole greatsword and blowing up the big spear guys while my buddy tanked em. Got to the room with like 4-5 guys behind a door nearish to the boss and he was able to body/shield block em while I massacred them with overhead slams from the greatsword, couldn't have planned it better.
Spy a fog gate with a bunch of summon signs and figure what the hell, let's go for it. Summons fail but one of the signs ends up being for an npc phantom so I grab it and away we go. Drop in and reaction dive out the way before my head gets taken off. Dive off the tiny platform and now I'm piddling around while my 2 phantoms battle it out with the boss on his platform. Getting antsy because I see 3 health bars but can't really do anything but plink away with a shortbow. Finally the first boss falls down and we mop him up. Queue second boss followed very closely by third boss. My original phantom and I split them apart and are more or less each handling one while the npc is just blowing everything up with soul arrows. Holding my own but getting sloppy since this is all new stuff, run out of estus as my partner and npc wrap up the second boss. Spent the rest of the fight running for my life as my companions finish off the last guy as he tries to chase me down.
Recap: first time setting foot in Lost Bastille blitz through to the 3-boss encounter with a phantom grab the npc and emerge victorious. PRAISE THE SUN!

zewone

Is it possible for them to disappear? I'm pretty sure they were not listed for me, in spite of an earlier message telling me I'd picked them up. I haven't used any of them either.

No.

They won't be listed in the normal inventory. You should see a space on the equipment screen with a torch symbol and a timer.

This timer indicates how many torches you have collected (5 mins per torch).

Darksheik

The path you need to follow in the initial part of the game is pre-determined? I'm asking because the only place where I think I can go is *first location spoiler*
the giants' land, where I already killed the "last giant" which was the first boss. Now I'm facing the second boss, the knight that falls from the sky with a big eagle. I would prefer to explore other areas before.
Any suggestions?

Doran902

Lovin the game on PS3, I have 1 issue and it might be a problem with my eyes, but I find things very muddy. Sometime there will be an enemy or person standing somewhere on the screen and I won't see them at all, like they blend in. Going to play with the contrast / brightness / sharpness when I get home from work.

brinstar

Combat feels clunky to me. Controls seem less responsive. Is this me or is the combat supposed to feel heavier?

It takes some getting used to. After a few hours I'm running through areas with no problem again, but the way stamina drains and inputs go in feel a little off at first

Tenrius

So I just got my Black Armour edition for the PS3 and the patch is taking forever to download. Is anyone else experiencing this?

zewone

The path you need to follow in the initial part of the game is pre-determined? I'm asking because the only place where I think I can go is *first location spoiler*
the giants' land, where I already killed the "last giant" which was the first boss. Now I'm facing the second boss, the knight that falls from the sky with a big eagle. I would prefer to explore other areas before.
Any suggestions?

From Majula, check the building behind the house where the cat merchant resides.

georly

Any suggestions?

The game has a handful of paths, but none of them will be apparent until you stumble upon how to access them later. You can go back to majula and try to find another path, which is probably the best option. Look near the house w/ the cat.

T.O.P

Banned
Welp after i lost my save, i got to work today, had a lots of problem on the road to the fourth boss but i did it much better all around than on my first run

Actually the boss fights freakin sucks so far , hope to see a better variety as the game goes :/

LvL44 and just reached Lost Bastille, good or too low?

I'm pretty sure I'm one of those 364 people. Brilliant idea man, thanks.
I saw (and rated) that message!
Oh yes, I think I remember that sign...it's a locked door and I seriously wouldn't have bothered doing that if it wasn't there....so thanks for that, ha ha.
Wait, what? Trying that tonight (and rating your message).

Haha thanks guys, appreciated. Everytime you rate a message, it gives you small portion of your health back, just been saved by it against the boss in the black gulch too!

zsswimmer

Got my first invasion kill, using those cracked eye orbs that are dropped by those small creatures to the side of the mansion in Majula. Love the pvp. Anyone know what the token of spite is used for, if anything at all?

AngryMoth

Argh, going to have to take a break because I'm getting too frustrated fighting this fucking
spider
boss. Was feeling impatient so I've been summoning for it but one of them always dies in like the first 30 seconds of the fight.

Ferrio

Banned
Got my first invasion kill, using those cracked eye orbs that are dropped by those small creatures to the side of the mansion in Majula. Love the pvp. Anyone know what the token of spite is used for, if anything at all?

Invade other people in the PvP covenant.

Update on my gamebreaking bug yesterday:

Nothing as of yet has worked. The
doors to Drangleic Castle
remain closed. Bonfire Ascetics do not appear to affect it, rightfully so. After a few hours of bumbling about I ended up restarting the game.

Just make sure you do NOT die while
opening the doors to Drangleic.

Mupod

It takes some getting used to. After a few hours I'm running through areas with no problem again, but the way stamina drains and inputs go in feel a little off at first

as a strength/faith build the thing that keeps getting me is you can't instantly switch back to your weapon after casting something. You need to wait until the end of the cast to hit the button to queue a swap. I ended up standing in front of monsters casting heals more than a couple times before I figured it out.

Dylan

What kind of swords do you want? Curved swords and katanas mostly use DEX, big ass greatswords use STR. Most swords fall somewhere in the middle.

I picked the swordmaster but now I'm regretting it. I'm guessing I'm doing it wrong but duel wielding, as far as starting the game is concerned, seems useless, as I didn't seem to ever find a situation where using my left handed sword was more advantageous than using my right handed sword.

Maybesew

Here is a question for long time souls players. I played Dark souls on PC in mid-2013 and there were at times some bloodstains and summon signs when needed, but nothing at all like this. (I'm playing on PS3)

Were the previous games coop/pvp levels this high when they launched, or has console always been more populated than PC?

Under rated returning feature to this game. The return of good online messaging! Because they made you use an item for it in Dark Souls 1, no one ever left good messages or there were very few compared to the ease of use messaging in Demons Souls. Now it's easy again!

Maybesew

I picked the swordmaster but now I'm regretting it. I'm guessing I'm doing it wrong but duel wielding, as far as starting the game is concerned, seems useless, as I didn't seem to ever find a situation where using my left handed sword was more advantageous than using my right handed sword.

I think if your long term goal is dual wielding, bandit or knight is probably a better starting class choice. But if you want to dual wield from the get go, it's pretty much the only way.

Although I guess you could grab the dagger in the tutorial area and use that with the bandit and knight starting weapons.

Gorillaz

Here is a question for long time souls players. I played Dark souls on PC in mid-2013 and there were at times some bloodstains and summon signs when needed, but nothing at all like this. (I'm playing on PS3)

Were the previous games coop/pvp levels this high when they launched, or has console always been more populated than PC?

Both. For the most part I remember my buddy playing Dark Souls a little after launch and it had a nice amount of summon and blood stains.

When PC version came out of DS1 it was at the point people had the game locked down, wiki's up and a few youtube walk throughs.

hughesta

Banned
The hardest part of the day is waiting to get home and play more. Just reached my first
mimic
last night, and went to bed immediately after. I've been jonesing to kill it ever since.

Mupod

Under rated returning feature to this game. The return of good online messaging! Because they made you use an item for it in Dark Souls 1, no one ever left good messages or there were very few compared to the ease of use messaging in Demons Souls. Now it's easy again!

it was more because of the online setup than the necessity of having an item. But yeah, it's great.

Not that 'be wary of ambush' will prepare you for some of the ridiculous shit this game throws at you once in a while. If I have one gripe about this game it's that it doesn't always give you fair warning like its predecessors, but properly functioning online offsets the difficulty quite a bit.

Dylan

I think if your long term goal is dual wielding, bandit or knight is probably a better starting class choice. But if you want to dual wield from the get go, it's pretty much the only way.

Although I guess you could grab the dagger in the tutorial area and use that with the bandit and knight starting weapons.

That's what I did, but I still found that spamming the scimitar was always better than alternating between two weapons. I suppose I should just check youtube for videos of how to properly use duel wielding.

Booshka

PS3 has always been the most populated, and both consoles have always had much higher player counts than PC. GFWL on PC made summoning people an exercise in frustration.

Also, game is new and it has dedicated servers so you see signs everywhere like Demon's Souls in late 09 and 2010. Dark Souls release was pretty bad for a while, failed summons all the time, not seeing very many signs when there should have been dozens. Peer to peer for Dark Souls made the game seem less alive than Demon's Souls in their respective peaks in population.

nyarla

Neo Member
Utterly loving it so far. I was two years late to Dark Souls (and didn't get Demon's until even after that), it's awesome to be playing this when it's brand new. I'm now at least as obsessed with it as I was with DS1 :) SO GOOD. The lower framerate took a bit to get used to (seems more consistent though, so far).. lack of stupid ragdoll corpse physics is a bit sad.. but it's really pretty.

I love that the worldwide deaths counter has gone up by 3 million in the last 4 hours or so.

J-Roderton

Having nowhere near as much fun as Dark Souls. Can't get through shit. So, how to I summon help? Gotta be human, yeah? Okay, so where the hell can I find summon signs in the forest? I'm sick of getting ganged up on.

Anybody else feeling a slight unresponsiveness to the controls?

I recall DeS/DaS having a slight input buffer so you could press the dodge button mid-attack and dodge when the attack had finished. That seems to be absent from DSII
Like when I'm sprinting and a stop and try to sprint again straight away (with half a stamina bar), it doesn't register.
Or when attack 2-3 times then attempt to roll out the way, the roll doesn't work on my first input.

J-Roderton

I recall DeS/DaS having a slight input buffer so you could press the dodge button mid-attack and dodge when the attack had finished. That seems to be absent from DSII
Like when I'm sprinting and a stop and try to sprint again straight away (with half a stamina bar), it doesn't register.
Or when attack 2-3 times then attempt to roll out the way, the roll doesn't work on my first input.

Not really, but the lock on fucks up entirely too much. Locks on the enemies that aren't even attacking me while I'm in the middle of fighting one.

Ferr986

The EKS is available from Mauglin in Majula, just spend 1000-2000 souls first in any item and he will have it later on

Is this confirmed? I have read that you need to progress in the story, or build the more expensive cheap.

Also, is it as good as the one in DS1? Thinking about farming souls in jolly coop and get it. The EKS served me well on DS1.

iuuk

I have the same problem with switching weapons, if I don't switch a bit after my previous attack it doesn't register. I'm sure it's a deliberate choice though.

As for my frustrations right now, in the well
FUCK that rat boss, done it 5 times, had him near death twice, but then my weapon broke... Now I'm out of poison items and two good swords, so I'll need to grind some souls before trying again. But holy fuck that thing is annoying, first really annoying boss.

Gorillaz

Any reason to save/hold on to estus flask shards?
you get more estus when you turn them to the fire keeper breh

edit:herald?
Not really, but the lock on fucks up entirely too much. Locks on the enemies that aren't even attacking me while I'm in the middle of fighting one.

Turn them off. It's on default for some reason. I hate it too, it fucked up my fight against the
rat posse
down the well in majula. I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom