• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure it works like gold pine resin, can't be applied to magic/fire/lightning weapons

Aww, that's a shame. But makes sense. Not sure what other spells I should add. Wonder how useful Yearn is for bosses or just general combat use.

Is Great Soul Arrow better than Heavy Soul Arrow? Or the Soul Spear one? Hmm.

Yeah, From is very adamant in their design choices that they don't want anyone attempting a pure sorcery build in this game, even more than than its predecessors. I think they intend magic to be used purely as a complement to melee, which is a shame. I don't think I'll bother with an int build in this game.

I've been getting by with a mostly Int build (SL 76, 38 int last I checked). Just been putting points into stuff where needed and other than one or two areas/bosses I've had to find alternate strategies to defeat. I haven't rolled PvP yet though, other than one guy I did a crapton of damage to with one Homing Soulmass set.

Question about something I've never really done much of in the previous Souls games. How good is "Magic Weapon"? Like if I use that on my Flame sword (which is already imbued with Fire magic), does it replace the Fire or does it add Magic damage as well? How long does it last? Is it worth taking up a slot as a pseudo-melee Sorcerer (depends on the situation if I use magic or my sword)? I just unlocked my 5th attunement slot and I'm trying to figure out what I should add.

Thanks for any help!

Magic Weapon won't work on something that's already imbued with an element, first off. I don't know how long it lasts in this game, but I think it was 3-5 minutes in DS1. I would stick to the flame sword, that's what I've been doing so far and it's working out pretty great. I tried an enchanted falchion but it didn't scale anywhere near as well as the flame sword does.

Also, Great Soul Arrow is better than Heavy Soul Arrow. The difference is negligible, though, they're similar enough that I roll with both equipped.

Yeah, From is very adamant in their design choices that they don't want anyone attempting a pure sorcery build in this game, even more than than its predecessors. I think they intend magic to be used purely as a complement to melee, which is a shame. I don't think I'll bother with an int build in this game.
I intend my first run to be a spell-sword, as soon I find a rapier - The Estoc in Manjula may have to do but it's 12 for both STR/DEX? Shiiiiiiiiit! I do like the Estoc though.

Very disappointed about the missing first person aiming and different power attacks for magic, what the fuck happened? :(

I finally made it to
Forest of Fallen Giants
after going to
Heide Tower of Flame
first. Instead of following this path, I want to go to the
forest
to get my soapstone so I can start laying summon signs down.

I came across this
big dude sitting under a tree, but I can't talk to him.
What's his deal?

Also someone said there's supposed to be a
sword
under this tree?

Magic Weapon won't work on something that's already imbued with an element, first off. I don't know how long it lasts in this game, but I think it was 3-5 minutes in DS1. I would stick to the flame sword, that's what I've been doing so far and it's working out pretty great. I tried an enchanted falchion but it didn't scale anywhere near as well as the flame sword does.

Also, Great Soul Arrow is better than Heavy Soul Arrow. The difference is negligible, though, they're similar enough that I roll with both equipped.

Thanks for all the information. :)

I have a ton of magic I can already use, so I would rarely run out during a fight or in between bonfires. I have 62 Soul Arrows, 15 Great Soul Arrow, and 10 Great Heavy Soul Arrow. I could add another 15 Great Soul Arrows or maybe do fireballs with Pyromancy in case something is weak to fire (although I have my flame sword for that...).

It's either damage damaging spell or something like Yearn. Some utility. I could equip Heal, but I rarely actually need to heal in between combat with the Restoration Ring on. *shrug* Decisions, decisions! xD

EDIT: Actually my Faith is nowhere near high enough to use any Miracles anyways.

I intend my first run to be a spell-sword, as soon I find a rapier - The Estoc in Manjula may have to do but it's 12 for both STR/DEX? Shiiiiiiiiit! I do like the Estoc though.

Very disappointed about the missing first person aiming and different power attacks for magic, what the fuck happened? :(

So these aren't a thing anymore? Damn. How long have we known this, because I'm just finding out now.

georly

So these aren't a thing anymore? Damn. How long have we known this, because I'm just finding out now.

You can aim first person w/ spells using the binoculars that are well hidden in heide. Or so i read.

Power spells do seem to be gone though, which might be what's holding spells back. Dunno if they were overpowered with it or not, but it seems like theyre underpowered right now.

Did you raise adaptability?

^

The more points allocated to Adaptability, the more the controls and movement feel the same as DS1. Especially the rolling!

Yeah thanks, cranked that stat almost exclusively so far on account of what people say. Maybe it'll feel good to control once I hit 20 ADP.

Man, I disagree so hard. To me the controls feel sooooo much better. Much more fluid.

Mind completely blown than anyone could think this...To me it's like going from Resident Evil 4 to the launch version of Resident Evil 6. You have basically the same moveset but its laggier, clunkier, and less precise. But then again I played 1000s of hours of DS compared to 12 of DS2 and don't have the 20 adaptability yet so hopefully I'll see things differently in time.

something about a windmill made of wood. It's also covered in some kind of poison oil, would be a shame if something happened to it.

The direct answer :

at the second bonfire walk out to where you can touch the main axel of the windmill, light it on fire with a torch from the bonfire.

That's just some bullshit. Who would even think of that?
One point in the whole game (to my knowledge) that you can set the level on fire

Corpekata

Banned
Am I crazy or does this guy who was in stone have terrible weapons to trade for. There is no other use for these boss souls except consuming them?

Multiple Vendors. Know one is at least in the area beyond the petrified lady in near Majula. Not sure if there's a third.

Ok gaf, I need some help with directions.

I have the souls of the sinner, old iron king, and the rotten (who was a complete pushover) is there a court soul, or not?

Sullichin

I might be wrong -- but I recall reading that you need the binoculars to aim spells in first person?

What upgrade level does a weapon have to be at before you can give it an elemental enhancement?

You can imbue it at any time! You can even take off the elemental part and not lose the regular upgrades.

ElFly

I respec'd and dropped all my intelligence (to 5, cause I was a warrior or something) and put it all on faith / attunement.

Healing your coop bros >>> magic.

d00d3n

Can you rent it at a Redbox?

That's what I did.

Sadly not available in my country ...

if you can afford it, go for it, it's amazing and you'll get into it before the community is openly talking about secrets and optimized strategies. it's very different playing this now than when I first played Dark Souls 4 months after launch and almost everything was already "solved."

and then you can recoup some of the money selling the ps3 version to a friend and get them hooked too.

Sounded like a great idea. I even went down to a GAME retail store that is very close to where I live. The plan didn't work out, because the game was sold out, but at that point it was impossible to backtrack. Bought on PSN the first thing I did when I came back and the game is now downloading.

Carcetti

Whew, just did about 20 invasions as a red spirit. Had to soapstone when I ran out of cracked orbs. I mean is there no real orb in this game? At least I got like 13 or 14 wins out of those.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I've seen other players with what looks like the "moonlight greatsword", anyone know how to get this?

Raitaro

Got the game in the mail today as one of those Hollow Europeans, but haven't had time to play yet apart from watching the opening cutscene and being surprised that no character creation option followed immediately afterwards. The opening area does seem delicisously "Soulsian" in its style and atmosphere though!

Will try the game in earnest tomorrow. I'm surprised at how much I'm looking forward to it still, despite the depression inducing lighting downgrade thread.

I'll report back soon I guess.

sixghost

Question about something I've never really done much of in the previous Souls games. How good is "Magic Weapon"? Like if I use that on my Flame sword (which is already imbued with Fire magic), does it replace the Fire or does it add Magic damage as well? How long does it last? Is it worth taking up a slot as a pseudo-melee Sorcerer (depends on the situation if I use magic or my sword)? I just unlocked my 5th attunement slot and I'm trying to figure out what I should add.

Thanks for any help!
If you have a bunch of points put into INT and a good melee weapon, (great)magic weapon is one of the best spells in the game. The real reason it's so strong is that unlike upgrading a weapon to Fire or Magic or something like that, you keep the normal scaling on the weapon and still get the bonus damage from magic. It's a skill that will scale almost infinitely as you play more, since putting points into or into whatever stat you weapon scales with will increase your damage. A 40 INT 40 STR or DEX sorcery with will hit like a fucking truck with Great Magic Weapon and Homing Soul Mass. I can just sprint right at almost any enemy and combo them to death with the damage and stun from HMS.

If you're early in the game your fire sword might be better, but as you get further it's something you should think about using.

I don't think they've ever wanted Sorcery to be used at the exclusion of melee.

Ok gaf, I need some help with directions.

I have the souls of the sinner, old iron king, and the rotten (who was a complete pushover) is there a court soul, or not?

Mogwai

Playing the PSN version right now. Goddamn, this game runs like shit. That choppy frame rate is killing it for me.

The atmosphere is great, though.

TraBuch

Banned
Please let me know if you think it's worth it !

At first glance, it starts with a relatively low base damage in the 80's, but it has B/B scaling with Str/Dex. Might even go higher at +10. The moveset is pretty solid. 1hR1 slash, 1hR2 thrust attack, which I love. Seems like a great Quality weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom