• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalVlatko

Having nowhere near as much fun as Dark Souls. Can't get through shit. So, how to I summon help? Gotta be human, yeah? Okay, so where the hell can I find summon signs in the forest? I'm sick of getting ganged up on.

Summon signs are usually placed around the bonfires or boss fog doors.

If you are having a hard time in an area, try putting down your summon sign so you can get used to the area and gain souls without having to worry about losing them.

todd360

I have the same problem with switching weapons, if I don't switch a bit after my previous attack it doesn't register. I'm sure it's a deliberate choice though.

As for my frustrations right now, in the well
FUCK that rat boss, done it 5 times, had him near death twice, but then my weapon broke... Now I'm out of poison items and two good swords, so I'll need to grind some souls before trying again. But holy fuck that thing is annoying, first really annoying boss.

I didn't have to much trouble once I figured out that the
rat boss has a rat Mohawk and wasn't just a random rat in the horde.

J-Roderton

Summon signs are usually placed around the bonfires or boss fog doors.

If you are having a hard time in an area, try putting down your summon sign so you can get used to the area and gain souls without having to worry about losing them.

Good call. Didn't think about that. Tonight is the first night I will have more than just a couple hours to play. Tonight I get gud.

In Dark Souls, I found I really enjoyed early-game much more than late-game. Loved the progression of Undead Burg->Parish->Lower Burg, Depths, Blight Town, Sens and felt things lost speed a little after Anor Londo.

Finding a bit of the opposite with Dark Souls II - first few hours of the game didn't really grab me as much. The first two paths you can take are a bit 'meh' - but once you start to open up more areas, and I'm loving it.

Also, the game seems massive - way larger than Dark Souls. From what they were saying it sounded like 'same size as Dark Souls 1, just more dense content'.

About ~20 hours in, and it already feels larger than Dark Souls, and not sure how much of it can be chalked up to just 'learning the lay of the land' (once you memorized Dark Souls, it suddenly starts to feel much smaller) or what.

iuuk

I didn't have to much trouble once I figured out that the
rat boss has a rat Mohawk and wasn't just a random rat in the horde.
Thanks,
I was just chopping away at random rats, destroying swords in the process
, so knowing that'll probably make it easier.

kingmozo9

Banned
I've got life gems and estus flask... but there's nothing on the down dpad. How do I equip it there? The weapon equipment is easy.

Been trying to figure it out for like 10 mins :/

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Is this confirmed? I have read that you need to progress in the story, or build the more expensive cheap.

Also, is it as good as the one in DS1? Thinking about farming souls in jolly coop and get it. The EKS served me well on DS1.

Yep, i bought a shield from him, and later he had more armor sets available

You can aim first person w/ spells using the binoculars that are well hidden in heide. Or so i read.

Power spells do seem to be gone though, which might be what's holding spells back. Dunno if they were overpowered with it or not, but it seems like theyre underpowered right now.

One thing that annoys me about the Binoculars is... either I am just blind or there is no reticle, so aiming with spells (in first person) is really annoying. I don't even use it.

I am really bummed that "power" spells are gone. I was really looking forward to that.

todd360

Thanks,
I was just chopping away at random rats, destroying swords in the process
, so knowing that'll probably make it easier.

Glad to help. I love that there's all kinds of small secrets that are easily missed and everyone has seems to know something that someone else doesn't know. We must share our info and defeat this game!

Grisby

I'm doing a lot more online stuff here than I have in previous soul games. I summoned some dudes for O&S in DS2 but I've been summoning and joining other players games regularly. Lotta fun and its pretty easy to farm souls that way.

Makes bosses pretty easy so far and I don't mind!

T.O.P

Banned
I've got life gems and estus flask... but there's nothing on the down dpad. How do I equip it there? The weapon equipment is easy.

Been trying to figure it out for like 10 mins :/

You need to equip those items, it's the last row down on the left of the equipment screen

Servers down again?

Maybesew

That's what I did, but I still found that spamming the scimitar was always better than alternating between two weapons. I suppose I should just check youtube for videos of how to properly use duel wielding.

I think the problem is that the game set you up for failure wrt dual wielding.

Let's break it down.

First, there is no explanation or tutorial for "Power Stance." Power Stance requires 2 weapons of the same type i.e. Curved Swords, or Straight Swords and you might have 1.5x the STR and DEX required to wield these weapons. Then you must hold the triangle button down and your character will raise the weapons up a bit to confirm you are now in this stance. I think everyone in this thread now knows this, as its been asked and explained multiple times, but there is nothing in the game to point you to this.

Second, The starting class that defaults to dual wielding is weak. As has also been covered in this thread, Swordsman starts with 4 VIT and 4 VIG. (But 7 INT and 5 FAITH ?? )

Third, The swordsman weapons are not even compatible with power stance. While they each come at +1, one is curved and one is straight, so if you wanted to keep them around, you'd never stumble into power stance.

All of this said, I have really enjoyed dual wielding in the mid-game. I'm level 66 and have been dual wielding falchions in power stance for the past 2 game sessions. The improved moveset in powerstance is very fun, but does require some exploration to find the combos that you like.

I think true dual wielding is a great addition to the game, but its odd that they made the discovery of how to do it successfully so hard considering how much better the game explains almost everything else. (Improved menus and tooltips.)

I'm at
Door of Pharos
and the enemies in the area are not attacking me at all. I'm almost certain this is not part of the game, has anyone encountered this glitch? If it is one.

mellow

beat the
ruin sentinels
first time with the NPC summon..kinda pleased considering i saw tons of streamers struggling on that boss fight, but that definitely helped me out I guess.

explodet

I think the problem is that the game set you up for failure wrt dual wielding.

*snip*

I think true dual wielding is a great addition to the game, but its odd that they made the discovery of how to do it successfully so hard considering how much better the game explains almost everything else. (Improved menus and tooltips.)
My goodness, this explains so much. Someone I knew who started out as a swordsman was literally reduced to tears because of the difficulty of this class.

Scher

As much as I really like the
Smelter Demon
fight, the fight seems to be a little buggy. I got stuck in the wall or found my character constantly sliding towards the wall a couple of times.

Insaniac

should i bother with lightning up the sconces and braziers around the levels? is there something relevant to them or are they kinda useless now that the lighting was changed?

is this the first boss or did i go the wrong way ?
last giant

seemed a bit too hard

Nope, that's exactly who you should be fighting.

should i bother with lightning up the sconces and braziers around the levels? is there something relevant to them or are they kinda useless now that the lighting was changed?

Sometimes it helps, other times it doesn't. When it helps though, it's usually damn worth it.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Been playing a lot of PvP since last night and I'm super fucking impressed with what they've done with it. I'm sure people will start finding the broken shit eventually, but right now it feels like it might be a little TOO balanced. It feels like there's a counter for everything.

Best part is that invasions and such are near instant. First time I invaded someone I was like holy fuck. Pretty big difference from 1.

Only new thing I've seen that I'm not sure I like is how you can't (that I've seen so far anyway) heal when invading.

T.O.P

Banned
is this the first boss or did i go the wrong way ?
last giant

seemed a bit too hard

Yep it's the right one, just watch out for his attack rotation, is pretty damn easy once you know when to attack, i also used a magic infused weapon wich helped a bit on the damage

Guevara

I would like to know this too. There are some suspiciously placed scones that get my Zelda senses tingling. But I'm afraid to waste my few torches.

Sande

Anybody else feeling a slight unresponsiveness to the controls?

I recall DeS/DaS having a slight input buffer so you could press the dodge button mid-attack and dodge when the attack had finished. That seems to be absent from DSII
Like when I'm sprinting and a stop and try to sprint again straight away (with half a stamina bar), it doesn't register.
Or when attack 2-3 times then attempt to roll out the way, the roll doesn't work on my first input.
You probably ran out of stamina. This game is way more punishing when you run out of stamina compared to DS1. Feels like an eternity to be able to hit or roll again after running out. Sprinting is just plain weird. Sometimes the game just doesn't seem to care and starts the sprint 2+ seconds after you pressed the button. It's very annoying when I try to use sprint in combat (for dat sweet triple sweep with halberd).

sublimit

Banned
Here is a question for long time souls players. I played Dark souls on PC in mid-2013 and there were at times some bloodstains and summon signs when needed, but nothing at all like this. (I'm playing on PS3)

Were the previous games coop/pvp levels this high when they launched, or has console always been more populated than PC?

Even now after all these years the Demon's Souls online community is pretty strong (at least on the Asian servers).

krossj

My copy arrived today. Played for an hour or so.

I was pleasantly surprised by the look of the hub area in terms of its graphics. Was concerned after the screenshots weren't that promising but it looks nice so far.

Choose a swordsman and the seed item which has turned out to be a poor choice I think. Enjoying the swordsman class though just have to remember to use the left shoulder buttons to attack now and then.

I had some weird freeze issues in the tutorial area, it didn't lock up completely but was a little frustrating consider I nearly fell of some edges.

I hope it is as enjoyable as the first was for me and at the very early stages it is looking like it will be.

ironcreed

Banned
I'll say it again. Huntsman's Copse is magnificent. The visual upgrade stands out so much in this area. Some really cool enemy designs as well.

People really should not judge based on some of the earliest locations, and just from looking at the guide, I am in awe at how many more locations and different enemy types there are for me to see. Not to mention all of the gear. This game is so packed it's ridiculous and there is even more new stuff that you can only see in NG+. Just layers upon layers to uncover.

Gorillaz

Been playing a lot of PvP since last night and I'm super fucking impressed with what they've done with it. I'm sure people will start finding the broken shit eventually, but right now it feels like it might be a little TOO balanced. It feels like there's a counter for everything.

Best part is that invasions and such are near instant. First time I invaded someone I was like holy fuck. Pretty big difference from 1.

Only new thing I've seen that I'm not sure I like is how you can't (that I've seen so far anyway) heal when invading.
Wait for people to settle in into the meta game. Still in the "honeymoon phase"

I finally made it to
Forest of Fallen Giants
after going to
Heide Tower of Flame
first. Instead of following this path, I want to go to the
forest
to get my soapstone so I can start laying summon signs down.

I came across this
big dude sitting under a tree, but I can't talk to him.
What's his deal?

Also someone said there's supposed to be a
sword
under this tree?

Well that dude is holding a sword, isn't he?

I saw some messages saying to
kill him
, but thought it was trolls. What are the benefits/disadvantages to
fighting him
?

Kysen

Demon boss in the iron tower is wrecking me.
Up till now I just hide behind my shield and chip away at the boss but
his flames ignore block. On another note, the medussa boss was a joke without her poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom