• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serra

Man I spent so long making a somewhat not hideous looking female character, and then around the ten hour mark my character turned into a shitty looking male character with a shitty European haircut. Why.
Did you go into the coffin in the tutorial area beach?

Should I upgrade any of them to the end or wait for something better?
Upgrade stones are quite plentiful, so upgrade the weapon you like right now and don't worry if you find some new favorite later.

zewone

What great sword are you using. I've been using the ultra but it looks so dumb...this ain't final fantasy

Greatsword. Probably the dumb Final Fantasy one you're referring to.

I think the sword and the moveset are f'ing awesome myself.

Have we figure out where the invasion covenant is? so far I've only ever been invaded once, and I've spend most of my time in full human form.
Yes.
Basically Huntman's Copse behind an optional boss.

Clevinger

I cant summon my friend online and we have the same Soul Level and even tried to equip the Name engraved ring and choose the same god. Is it based on soul memory only? Soul Level has nothing more to do with it?

"Total amount of souls collected and levels - A character's total number of souls is factored in during summonings/invasions (generally you must be within 50,000 souls of the person you're invading/co-opping with and your level must be within +/- 10 levels)."

:/

However, on Reddit there are some people saying they have a huge difference in souls and they can still summon their friend so who knows.

bigmac996

Even with the help of
SunBros
the
Smelter Demon
is devastating our butts.

Right outside the fog gate are messages of others who are getting #rekt as well.

I had to do this thing solo before the servers were online, and it was a bitch. Tried maybe 15 times before I got it, and decided that 2-handing my sword and dodging all of his attacks was the only way. If you stick close to him and dodge to the left as soon as he lets out his growls, you're guaranteed to dodge everything. Becomes really easy once you just get dodge timing down.

Mindlog

Bahaha.

Went back to meet some old friends on a certain roof. Smashing things with a club is nice. I had never really used giant weapons. Strongly leaning towards my first ever STR character now.

How rare is (mineral name)
Petrified Dragon Bone
?
I was thinking of upgrading (boss weapon name)
Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword
for fun. Are there any other weapons or pieces of armor that would make me regret using what little (previously mentioned mineral name)
Petrified Dragon Bone
I have?

ErichWK

Sounds great, so after applying an elemental set one you can continue with the regular upgrade path too without over writing it?

Well damn I'm going to need chunks now....

You slept in the coffin didn't you? Go back to it

Power stance seems to suck on most weapon combos I've tried. Fists and curved swords it's really nice.

Also you can't parry when duel wielding power stance.

.......I did do that.. GOD DAMMIT. Hahaha. I was trying to figure out WHAT the hell that thing did. Thanks!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Wait... so is a +9 falchion you use a firestone on it the same as a falchion that you did 9 fire stones on?

I'm confused....

The infusion system of Dark Souls 2 doesn't work like the upgrade paths of Dark Souls. Just sorta forget pretty much everything you remember from the first game.

Weapons can be upgraded up to either +10 (for standard weapons) or +5 (for special and boss soul weapons). Standard weapons use Titanite Shards, Large Titanite Shards, Titanite Chunks, and finally a Titanite Slab to max out. Special weapons use Twinkling Titanite, and boss soul weapons use Petrified Dragon Bones.

Once you
give the Dull Ember to McDuff
you can Infuse weapons using upgrade stones. There's a type of stone for every upgrade path: Boltstone for lightning, Poison Stone for poison, et cetera. Infusing a weapon consumes one stone of the appropriate type.

Infusing changes a weapon's damage types and stat scaling depending on the infusion type. As far as I know every weapon can be infused; that includes boss and special weapons. An infused weapon retains its weapon level. A +10 Longsword that you infuse with a Firedrake Stone becomes a +10 Fire Longsword. If you then use a Poison Stone on your Fire Longsword +10 it becomes a Poison Longsword +10. If you then decide that you're really more a burner than a poisoner after all you can use another Firedrake Stone on your Poison Longsword +10 to turn it back into a Fire Longsword +10.

I'm miles away from having a really strong grasp on the system myself, but that's the basic idea. It's a significantly more forgiving system than the one in Dark Souls, since a maxed out weapon can be shifted between different different damage types and scaling with impunity.

Man some bizarre design choices in this game compared to other souls games.

Lost Bastille and sinners rise is just like designer said fuck it mobs of enemies all around you in every room.

Those curse pots have some crazy ass range even affect you if they on a level above or below you.

Skelton lords was considered a good idea for a boss wtf it terrible horde mode arena

I really liked the mob of knights in white armour before the Ruin Sentinel boss in Lost Bastille.
They didn't catch me off guard but I walked through the door and caught the aggro for five of them. I backed up and funneled them through the doorway, one by one. I thought there would be no end to them.

The best mob so far has been in Belfry Luna. It was so good that I don't want to spoil it:
After the gargoyles, you go down the stairs in the tower and along a castle wall to a bonfire.
Near the bonfire there's a ladder leading down to a small area with a pack of 6-7 dogs and a NPC invader.
The dogs aren't too bad in groups of 2-3 but they easily overwhelmed me in a group of 5, then the invader had a prod and the other two other dogs. I was done for.

It was very a Dark Souls kind of ambush.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone else rocking duel Caestus. Liking them a lot... but damn the range.... almost wanna spend stones on them and upgrade...

slayn

needs to show more effort.
In the
Forest of the Fallen Giants
what item do you need for those
Giant/Tree looking things
?

You won't find that item for a veeery long time:
You need a key item that you don't get until almost at the end of the game. I forget it's name, but its a key that lets you go into memories. You get it from the Ancient Dragon at the top of the dragon shrine.

rybrad

Is there a Black Knight Greataxe equivalent anywhere in the game? It was my favorite weapon in the original and I would love to find another now that I am late game.

Also, where is the Bastille key? I am well past that now and figured I would find the key somewhere but nothing so far. I also didn't know you could (mid-gameish? boss spoiler)
drain the poison in Earthen Peak so that fight was straight out of a nightmare.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Bahaha.

Went back to meet some old friends on a certain roof. Smashing things with a club is nice. I had never really used giant weapons. Strongly leaning towards my first ever STR character now.

How rare is (mineral name)
Petrified Dragon Bone
?
I was thinking of upgrading (boss weapon name)
Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword
for fun. Are there any other weapons or pieces of armor that would make me regret using what little (previously mentioned mineral name)
Petrified Dragon Bone
I have?

They don't seem to be easy to farm. You'll find enough laying around in a single playthrough to fully upgrade one weapon easily, two if you're meticulous in your explorations and exhaust the easiest farming spot for them.

I'd avoid using them up if you're not certain you're going to be using a weapon long-term.

You won't find that item for a veeery long time:
You need a key item that you don't get until almost at the end of the game. I forget it's name, but its a key that lets you go into memories. You get it from the Ancient Dragon at the top of the dragon shrine.

Well it's a good thing that I'm almost at the end of the game. Already got the
King's ring
and didn't know what to do there. Anyways, thanks for the tip.

Is there a Black Knight Greataxe equivalent anywhere in the game? It was my favorite weapon in the original and I would love to find another now that I am late game.

Also, where is the Bastille key? I am well past that now and figured I would find the key somewhere but nothing so far. I also didn't know you could (mid-gameish? boss spoiler)

The key is in Belfry Luna, past the boss.

The best mob so far has been in Belfry Luna. It was so good that I don't want to spoil it:
After the gargoyles, you go down the stairs in the tower and along a castle wall to a bonfire.
Near the bonfire there's a ladder leading down to a small area with a pack of 6-7 dogs and a NPC invader.
The dogs aren't too bad in groups of 2-3 but they easily overwhelmed me in a group of 5, then the invader had a prod and the other two other dogs. I was done for.

It was very a Dark Souls kind of ambush.

I actually thought that was one of the worst designed portions of the game. I slid down the ladder and a good chunk of them charged me before I got off, so I just ended up climbing back up the ladder and picking them off one by one.

slayn

I have the axe but can't remember where I got it =\

They key is
At the end of an optional area you reach by using a pharros lockstone in the room below the servant's quarters. At the very end of where that path takes you.

And did the same as you in that boss fight. That was rough.

The Black Knight Greataxe is in the game along with the other Black Knight weapons. The BKGA is in the iron keep if I remember correctly. Don't remember the exact location though, sorry. >.<

Ryu

I cant summon my friend online and we have the same Soul Level and even tried to equip the Name engraved ring and choose the same god. Is it based on soul memory only? Soul Level has nothing more to do with it?

SL doesn't matter, just your total soul count that matters. Friend of mine and I were able to summon each other earlier in the game, but then he became a sunbro and cooped his face off. We are both SL 97, but his soul count is 1.2m while i'm at 600k. We can't summon each other at all despite the God ring and being in the same covenant. I think the soul count limit is 50k. Clearly too low IMO.

ElFly

I actually thought that was one of the worst designed portions of the game. I slid down the ladder and a good chunk of them charged me before I got off, so I just ended up climbing back up the ladder and picking them off one by one.

I just
shot soul arrows from atop the stair, switching the staff hand when necessary

Wasn't even mad, bro.

slayn

This :( isn't it just like up + R1 like kicking used to be?
I don't use it enough to know, but it probably has the same problem as the jumping attack, which infuriates me. It's not you doing the input wrong, it has to do with how the game buffers inputs.

In the soul's games, they buffer inputs so that if you, for example, hit attack in the middle of a roll your character will attack at the first possible moment when recovering from the roll even though you pressed the button way earlier. This is good.

However, the game does not let you buffer up+R2 (and I'm guessing up+R1). But even worse, it gets buffered as just R2. So this means if you roll, or are in block stun, hit stun, or anything necessitating an input buffer, instead of getting the attack you did the input for you get a regular light/heavy attack. I hate it.

Any reason not to kill the Scorpion dude in Shaded Woods after getting the ring, branch and gesture from him?

Edit: wait, you can drain the poison for that boss fight? My god... time to get looking.

Sullichin

The actual BKGA is in Iron Keep.

It has a faith requirement now, though.

Is there anything of interest in the bell tower area in the
Iron Keep
? I went around picking up some items/weapons/shields which is cool. I rung the bell (not sure what that did), but I didn't see a boss gate like in the other bell tower. No boss?

lebowsky

So how do I get my full health back I forget. I'm running around gimped as hell

You have to USE a human effigy to restore your humanity which maxes your lifebar back to full - don't burn it. Burning an effigy will stop invasions for a set period of time but will not restore your humanity or affect your lifebar.

Sullichin

Is there anything of interest in the bell tower area in the
Iron Keep
? I went around picking up some items/weapons/shields which is cool. I rung the bell (not sure what that did), but I didn't see a boss gate like in the other bell tower. No boss?

No boss. If you stand around you'll be invaded by Bell covenant players.

bronk

Banned
Not sure if I should upgrade large club or greatsword. The sword looks alot cooler. Im torn any help?

Also I love my bandit axe any other similiar axes that are better and locations?

Celegus

Because you don't need to waste your torch time here.

I'm almost level 100 and haven't used a torch yet. Not really even sure how to, but I haven't come across any dark areas where I felt I needed it either. I have like an hour and a half of time already.

I found it fun. They only got me once, the second time
I wiped the dogs out with a couple sword swings and then it was just me vs NPC invader.
It kinda reminded me of the Capra Demon fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom