• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this set in the game? I've seen certain enemies wearing it and it is fresh as hell.
Iei3Dop.jpg

Yes, I believe it's called the Archdrake set.

theytookourjobz

I'm almost level 100 and haven't used a torch yet. Not really even sure how to, but I haven't come across any dark areas where I felt I needed it either. I have like an hour and a half of time already.

There's one part specifically that you "need" to use a torch but for as many as I've picked up (2 hours worth of flame), I've used it once.

Guevara

I'm almost level 100 and haven't used a torch yet. Not really even sure how to, but I haven't come across any dark areas where I felt I needed it either. I have like an hour and a half of time already.

I used torches to light sconces just because it's cool visually. Never helped or unlocked anything for me though :-/

rybrad

The actual BKGA is in Iron Keep.

The key is in Belfry Luna, past the boss.

I have the axe but can't remember where I got it =\

They key is
At the end of an optional area you reach by using a pharros lockstone in the room below the servant's quarters. At the very end of where that path takes you.

And did the same as you in that boss fight. That was rough.

The Black Knight Greataxe is in the game along with the other Black Knight weapons. The BKGA is in the iron keep if I remember correctly. Don't remember the exact location though, sorry. >.<
Thank you everyone!
It has a faith requirement now, though.
Well that's a bummer, how much faith is needed?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
So I just got super far from the last bonfire, had another one right in front of me, and some guys attack me and I think "they're small time, I'll knock them out." Get over confident and roll into a corner, stabbed to death. Walk all that way again :(

WHY

zewone

Is there anything of interest in the bell tower area in the
Iron Keep
? I went around picking up some items/weapons/shields which is cool. I rung the bell (not sure what that did), but I didn't see a boss gate like in the other bell tower. No boss?

There's two hidden doors near the exit back to the area with 3 treasure chests. You need to press X on the walls. There is no prompt.

Celegus

The best mob so far has been in Belfry Luna. It was so good that I don't want to spoil it:
After the gargoyles, you go down the stairs in the tower and along a castle wall to a bonfire.
Near the bonfire there's a ladder leading down to a small area with a pack of 6-7 dogs and a NPC invader.
The dogs aren't too bad in groups of 2-3 but they easily overwhelmed me in a group of 5, then the invader had a prod and the other two other dogs. I was done for.

It was very a Dark Souls kind of ambush.

Felt like a warmup for the
Rat King boss
, that I'm currently cowering in fear of.

Sullichin

Not sure if I should upgrade large club or greatsword. The sword looks alot cooler. Im torn any help?

Also I love my bandit axe any other similiar axes that are better and locations?

Beat the game with the large club +10. 2H R2 combo wrecks bosses. The move set is not ideal for PVP though.

GulAtiCa

The best mob so far has been in Belfry Luna. It was so good that I don't want to spoil it:
After the gargoyles, you go down the stairs in the tower and along a castle wall to a bonfire.
Near the bonfire there's a ladder leading down to a small area with a pack of 6-7 dogs and a NPC invader.
The dogs aren't too bad in groups of 2-3 but they easily overwhelmed me in a group of 5, then the invader had a prod and the other two other dogs. I was done for.

It was very a Dark Souls kind of ambush.
I actually thought that was one of the worst designed portions of the game. I slid down the ladder and a good chunk of them charged me before I got off, so I just ended up climbing back up the ladder and picking them off one by one.
It's prob because I'm a Sorcerer, but I found that last section kinda easy due to just picking off all the dogs without even touching the ground. Heck that NPD enemy jus stood there while I fired off Heavy/etc Soul Arrows at him. XD

taoofjord

Without spoilers, what do you guys think of the areas in this game? Overall, are they as visually interesting and memorable as the areas in the other games?

To me, the other games, Dark Souls 1 especially, evoked a sense of place that few games can. They felt less like hand-crafted areas and more like real places (even though the progression through them is more game-y than your average FPS). For example, the continual descent underground in Dark Souls 1 felt AMAZING to me. It really felt like some long journey underground.

J-Roderton

Without spoilers, what do you guys think of the areas in this game? Overall, are they as visually interesting and memorable as the areas in the other games?

To me, the other games, Dark Souls 1 especially, evoked a sense of place that few games can. They felt less like hand-crafted areas and more like real places (even though the progression through them is more game-y than your average FPS). For example, the continual descent underground in Dark Souls 1 felt AMAZING to me. It really felt like some long journey underground.

Idk. I'm probably not even half way there, but the areas seem alright. Not as memorable as DS to me, though. So far at least.

Got the Berserker Blade (yes, you can get it in NG without Bonfire Ascetic)...goddamn this thing deals. It's shorter than the default Uchigatana/Blacksteel Katana (it's the old katana length in DS1) but it hurts people bad and I only have it at +2. Need more Twinkling Titanite to buff it further.

The one handed R2 is the Uchigatana stab, the two handed one is the Demon's Souls Uchigatana R2 and a Iaito-style draw slash followup.

Mana Sin

Felt like a warmup for the
Rat King boss
, that I'm currently cowering in fear of.

I was doing terribly in this fight until I
tried a firestorm spell. I still died, but at the same time as the boss. Sadly, I didn't get any souls for it. I did at least get the boss soul or whatever you're meant to be rewarded .

GulAtiCa

I actually got my first real invasion yesterday. Guy didn't stand a chance against me. Because my stamina grows back quickly,
due to a ring
, I ran for it. Then turned around and just shot off magic and killed the poor guy quickly. We were on a ledge too. So he prob couldn't really dodge them that well without rolling off.

tookhster

I think I like the areas better than DS1 so far, and I'm more than halfway through the game. The areas, while not always pretty, feel more "alive" and I like how different each one can look like thanks to the bonfire system, unlike in Dark Souls where everything is linked together so you only get a few places that stand out.

johntown

Banned
What SL are most people finishing the game on? Seems like PVP and general levels will be higher.

I am playing as a Mage and I am already at SL 80. In Dark Souls 1 I would have already been on NG+ by now.

The 2 new stats don't help along with ATN needing almost double levels for the same slots as the first game.

Are others a lot higher than usual?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I cant wait to get a katana or a uchigatana or hopefully the washing pole. Im level 32 and im yet not even sure what kinda build im rocking. i guess im a filthy dex build who likes armor. I havent even used any magic yet.

Celegus

I was doing terribly in this fight until I
tried a firestorm spell. I still died, but at the same time as the boss. Sadly, I didn't get any souls for it. I did at least get the boss soul or whatever you're meant to be rewarded .

No magic here, gonna have to man up somehow. Only tried a couple time before I said nope nope nope and explored another area.

taoofjord

I bought a disc version of Dark Souls 2 on PS3. After hearing that the digital version has shorter loading times I'm thinking about trading the PS3 version in and then buying the digital version. Anyone know if my saves would be compatible?

Anyone have any tips on how to keep Lucatiel alive for her questline in the
Lost Sinner fight
or against the
Smelter demon?

I don't know why she carries a shield, she goes 100% offense/suicidal

Is this game really that horrible for the ps3, I just left the downgrade thread and making it seem like it's unplayable

I have it on the PS3 and loving it. While a few areas do look kind of bleh - the game still plays very well, and the number and quality of 'impressive' areas out-weights the detriment of some of the not so nice looking areas.

Yes, the occasional level and/or enemy does look like something from a PS2 era game - and a few things have left me thinking 'this reminds me of EverQuest' in terms of the quality of models and geometry.

But, already sunk almost 40 hours into the game and itching to play it more.

Doors of pharros + toxic must + traps + lingering shadow + shooting arrows from above + poison shotel = epic trolling

I was cracking up last night and got some delicious hate mail

J-Roderton

Who has upgraded the greatsword?
found in No man's warf
Not sure how to go about it, but I want to make this thing a beast.

Calibus

I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but so far Dark Souls 2 seems more like a hybrid sequel to both Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls. That's a very good thing.

rybrad

I just thought of another random question I had, related to the hole in Majula area.

In Black Gulch is there an easy way to get by the poison statues without laboriously breaking them every time? Doing the boss I would just drop down from the bonfire, get poisoned by the last couple of statues and wait it out at the fog gate until it was gone. I am hoping I was missing something obvious so I don't have to do the same on new games.I thought the Gutter was interesting but really hated Black Gulch.

Damn, just checked out a rough map. Im almost lvl 100 and still have a ton of things to do. I guess I kinda spent a bit too much time helping others kill bosses.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Hey guys, hit a bit of a wall here, due to not knowing where to go. I've searched a fair bit, but cannot proceed due to needing to provide
more powerful souls, or symbol of a king

So far I've only
killed 3 of the lord type bosses, those being Spiderbro in Brightstone, The Rotten in Black Gulch, and The Last Sinner in Sinners rise, or whatever it was called.

Could anyone give me a brief idea on what direction I should be heading in? Just a grenreal nudge with no spoilers if possible? It'd really help me out. Cheers fellas.

Zeliard

SL doesn't matter, just your total soul count that matters. Friend of mine and I were able to summon each other earlier in the game, but then he became a sunbro and cooped his face off. We are both SL 97, but his soul count is 1.2m while i'm at 600k. We can't summon each other at all despite the God ring and being in the same covenant. I think the soul count limit is 50k. Clearly too low IMO.

It's such an idiotic mechanic. It adds a completely unnecessary barrier to co-op that actively punishes you for helping others. The more you are summoned, the greater a separation you create with others as the game progresses and the smaller the co-op player pool becomes. It's frankly moronic and I hope they reconsider it.

I just thought of another random question I had, related to the hole in Majula area.

In Black Gulch is there an easy way to get by the poison statues without laboriously breaking them every time? Doing the boss I would just drop down from the bonfire, get poisoned by the last couple of statues and wait it out at the fog gate until it was gone. I am hoping I was missing something obvious so I don't have to do the same on new games.I thought the Gutter was interesting but really hated Black Gulch.

sprint by everything. It's a terrible area that deserves nothing more than sprinting through the whole level

theytookourjobz

Nope. Just a super annoying place to beat and never go back lol. Except I think there is a covenant there.

Magic or melee is the only thing Ive found that kills them. On the plus side though, they stay dead if you rest at the bonfire. I was farming there since tentacle doods drop large shards and chunks. I also just read that I missed a hidden/secret cave in the area. :(

Sullichin

It's such an idiotic mechanic. It adds a completely unnecessary barrier to co-op that actively punishes you for helping others. The more you are summoned, the greater a separation you create with others as the game progresses and the smaller the co-op player pool becomes. It's frankly moronic and I hope they reconsider it.

Yeah not sure how I feel about it yet. How can you check your total soul count?

Gorillaz

it's actually hilarious, they thought this would promote more cooping and summons and it's literally the opposite,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom