• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree, why waste a lock stone there when you can simply run past them with a torch? (Or kill them, they'll still cower in fear so either way) Creates the same effect as the giant torch without wasting anything.

This is my first post, great to finally be apart of this place :D
Pharros stones are so easy to come by. I have like 12 right now and I use them basically everytime I come by a slot. It it actuallY does something, it's not a waste.

Leezard

Is the first Pharros contraption you come across in the I
ron
K
eep
(after the first boss/second bonfire) used for anything cool? I don't want to waste a stone if it's useless. It's after the bridge with the two turtle enemies (in the door on the left). The first contraption in the area filled a pool with water (which was useful for getting a chest), but how about the second one?

Yes, it leads to something really interesting.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Does it make sense to concentrate on both, faith and intelligence. I kinda want to build a character with strong spells yet good with weapons with mage damage. Any ideas/advice?

I think I asked this question when I played DkS and the answer was no, you'd be better served picking one. Could be wrong about that, I never use either

Vizzeh

Banned
If you just want to pull enemies, I use a basic bow and cheap wood arrows.

Yeah to pull enemies but in DS1, Some bosses where kind of tricky, I had a melee char with a bow, some I think recommended pyro glove but I didnt bother then, but if it only requires a few points, I was throwing it out there if anyone recommends, but if the Basic bow works fine, im all for that too :)

It will become a +9 fire falchion

The process has been simplified, but I still think the regular upgrade path is best in most cases (like if you're a pure STR or DEX build). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

For pure builds you're probably right from what I've seen so far.
I'm using a strength/faith hybrid and infused my +15 Greatsword with lightning. The scalling changed from A in str and (?) D in dex to two B's in both strength and faith(and still a D in dex I believe but I only have the minimum requirement anyway). Works out pretty well so far but I didn't test much yet on how the damages compare because of the split damage type. Gonna do that when I get a second Greatsword to +15.

Pharros stones are so easy to come by. I have like 12 right now and I use them basically everytime I come by a slot. It it actuallY does something, it's not a waste.

Did you spend time in the
rat covenant
to get so many? They're not super rare or anything but early game you don't have many so saving them for useful ones that give treasure seem like a better idea imo

Does it make sense to concentrate on both, faith and intelligence. I kinda want to build a character with strong spells yet good with weapons with mage damage. Any ideas/advice?
Hexes have both int/faith requirements and pyromancy scales with both too I think, so this would seem like the way to go if you wanted an int/faith build, with both sorcereries and miracles as support. This sounds pretty fun actually, I did an int/faith build in DS1, but this sounds way more tailored to making use of your stats.

Alric

Found the great scythe, now to respec dex now or just continue with strength? I hate hard decisions!

You get a couple soul vessels, so if you like it's moveset and it's damage output why not. I was a dex build until I decided to try out the Greatsword (Berserk Guts style) and realized that is was definitely for me.

Deadstar

So without spoilers, is DS2 longer than Dark Souls? I feel like I'm just blowing through area's really quickly in DS2. I'm hoping it doesn't end soon.

Ferrio

Banned
It will become a +9 fire falchion

The process has been simplified, but I still think the regular upgrade path is best in most cases (like if you're a pure STR or DEX build). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Wait... so is a +9 falchion you use a firestone on it the same as a falchion that you did 9 fire stones on?

I'm confused....

Where can I find normal smooth and silky stones? (Not the small ones)
Rat covernant doesn't work (high soul level).

Use the small soapstone and help people, it's the reward.

I really enjoy the progression of Dark Souls 2 so far. It feels way more consistent than past games. The areas have a ton of variety while not being grating. I feel better equipped for the obstacles presented with it still being challenging.

An example would be the last 3rd of Dark Souls 1. As great as the first half was (the climax being Anor Londo) the last few areas just weren't nearly as enjoyable. Tomb of Giants, Lost izalith (ugly and frustrating), Crystal Caves. For as much shit as blighttown gets, its still fair if you are patient. I didn't feel that way about later levels. Again, I think DS2 is more consistent

see5harp

Where can I find normal smooth and silky stones? (Not the small ones)
Rat covernant doesn't work (high soul level).

I think had one of those spider creatures drop one in the Wharf. Not sure how common the drop is though.

Use the small soapstone and help people, it's the reward.

Whelp now I feel dumb. I was wondering why anyone would want a summon to last a short amount of time. Those are the guys who kill a single enemy and vanish, I assume?

I'd say it's the best. Coolest enemies so far,and best level design. Ilike the enemies disappearing after 15x, but, with the number of enemies you really gotta try to get rid of them.

pixlexic

Banned
I disagree, why waste a lock stone there when you can simply run past them with a torch? (Or kill them, they'll still cower in fear so either way) Creates the same effect as the giant torch without wasting anything.

This is my first post, great to finally be apart of this place :D

Because you don't need to waste your torch time here.

The general consensus is that it's a very worthy sequel, and ymmv as to where you rank it compared to the other two. There are people who really hate the changes, and others who unequivocally put it above the previous two.

it's also very early for these assessments as I keep seeing people judging it based on the first 10 hours when it's actually massively large game with many of the best areas much later on, so we won't have an accurate consensus for a few weeks at least. I am 43 hours in and am not into the end game yet; I am really enjoying it a lot and have to wait till I have a few more full playthroughs under my belt to really know how I rank it against the other games.
I agree with you. I'll admit at first the game seemed disappointing mostly due to it not having a as distinct metroidvania feel but the game's level design gradually gets better as you progress and as a whole is better than dark souls 1. I might be of a minority opinion but the level design turned to shit after sens fortress in dark souls 1 (excluding painted world and catacombs), and that accounts for half of the game.

zewone

Wait... so is a +9 falchion you use a firestone on it the same as a falchion that you did 9 fire stones on?

I'm confused....

If you have a +9 Falchion, when you use a firestone, it will change into a +9 Fire Falchion.

If you later wish to return your +9 Fire Falchion back to a +9 Falchion, you can with the only penalty being a waste of stones.

It's very different from Dark Souls 1 which had you go on a certain path and start from scratch.

I'm confused....

Upgrading and making weapons elemental are no longer tied together. You can upgrade as usual and whenever you like infuse the weapon with an element seperate from each other.
The weapon will stay on it's upgrade level. Just the element, base damages and scaling will change.

I think I asked this question when I played DkS and the answer was no, you'd be better served picking one. Could be wrong about that, I never use either

Could be there are some nice hexes worth using. I haven't paid much attention to them myself, but it's worth looking into.

Ferrio

Banned
If you have a +9 Falchion, when you use a firestone, it will change into a +9 Fire Falchion.

If you later wish to return your +9 Fire Falchion back to a +9 Falchion, you can with the only penalty being a waste of stones.

It's very different from Dark Souls 1 which had you go on a certain path and start from scratch.

So best way to save elemental stones is to use regular titanite first?

I was thinking to get to +10 poison you'd need 10 poison stones...

I'm confused....

There's one upgrade path in this game that goes to +10, you can drop in fire stones, lighting stones, raw stones, etc. and it'll become whatever element you put into it. There's no leveling up the elemental effects.

Maybesew

Reached the first fog wall in the cove this morning, and almost walked in thinking it was too early in the zone to be a boss fight. Then I read the message on the ground that said "boss ahead"

Decided to end my session.

You get a couple soul vessels, so if you like it's moveset and it's damage output why not. I was a dex build until I decided to try out the Greatsword (Berserk Guts style) and realized that is was definitely for me.
What great sword are you using. I've been using the ultra but it looks so dumb...this ain't final fantasy

ErichWK

Man I spent so long making a somewhat not hideous looking female character, and then around the ten hour mark my character turned into a shitty looking male character with a shitty European haircut. Why.

Anyways I have been playing a dex build and Can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to dual wield. I feel the speed is no faster than someone with a sword and shield. I want to get better at it..but I guess I suck at parrying. Sigh. I haven't found too many interesting weapons, I have a wing spear, a falchion, and some other curved sword. Should I upgrade any of them to the end or wait for something better?

Ferrio

Banned
There's one upgrade path in this game that goes to +10, you can drop in fire stones, lighting stones, raw stones, etc. and it'll become whatever element you put into it. There's no leveling up the elemental effects.

Sounds great, so after applying an elemental set one you can continue with the regular upgrade path too without over writing it?

Well damn I'm going to need chunks now....

Man I spent so long making a somewhat not hideous looking female character, and then around the ten hour mark my character turned into a shitty looking male character with a shitty European haircut. Why.

You slept in the coffin didn't you? Go back to it

Anyways I have been playing a dex build and Can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to dual wield. I feel the speed is no faster than someone with a sword and shield. I want to get better at it..but I guess I suck at parrying. Sigh. I haven't found too many interesting weapons, I have a wing spear, a falchion, and some other curved sword. Should I upgrade any of them to the end or wait for something better?

Power stance seems to suck on most weapon combos I've tried. Fists and curved swords it's really nice.

Also you can't parry when duel wielding power stance.

So best way to save elemental stones is to use regular titanite first?

I was thinking to get to +10 poison you'd need 10 poison stones...

You still use reg titanite shards after you convert a reg weapon to elemental weapon.

Longsword -> Titanite shards -> Longsword +2 -> Poison Stone -> Poison Longsword +2 -> Titanite shards -> Poison Longsword +3

ironcreed

Banned
I'd say it's the best. Coolest enemies so far,and best level design. Ilike the enemies disappearing after 15x, but, with the number of enemies you really gotta try to get rid of them.

The number of locations as well. I was soul farming the Alonne Knights a good bit last night and plan to do it more today. They are quick and easy for a nice shot of souls.

The sex change coffin claims another confused victim. :p
Just go back to the coffin in the tutorial area with the two ogres. You'll change back if you climb in again.

Audioboxer

Thanks you guys pretty much answered my question on the last page, I'll buy a few boltstones and then kill blue sentinel targray. Wish the stats for his armour were online, but I can't see them anywhere.

see5harp

Did you get into the coffin in the tutorial section near the two rhino things near the water? I accidentally did that and went around for 7 hours not realizing that I had turned into a female.

When you hop into the coffin in the training area, it changes your gender.

Did you use the coffin at the beginners area? Because going inside changes your gender.

Hupsel

I cant summon my friend online and we have the same Soul Level and even tried to equip the Name engraved ring and choose the same god. Is it based on soul memory only? Soul Level has nothing more to do with it?

Evil Beaver

Even with the help of
SunBros
the
Smelter Demon
is devastating our butts.

Right outside the fog gate are messages of others who are getting #rekt as well.

domstah

Did you perchance get in the coffin on the beach guarded by the two ogres?

For anyone interested in an in depth analysis of stats breakdown and at which level the attribute modifiers scale, change/enter diminishing returns, this is a great video.

IE Vigor from level 1-19 yeild 30HP per point, level 20-49 yeild 20 per point and level 50+ = 5 points, etc etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmN46D4wn9c&index=2&list=PLwikSXnC0f6RCnl-KkInYqWiVl_A3kgxI
Speaking of stats, so what's the final word on adaptability? Does it help improve I-frames during rolls and speed up drinking the flask? I keep hearing it's helpful and it's not.

Tex117

Banned
What's the consensus on this game so far, compared to the other Souls?

I believe it is a worthy sequel as well. It all comes down to tastes. At its core, I still believe it is a Souls game through and through. Its slow and you have to think about what you are doing, and its a challenge. This has always been my draw to the Souls games, and in that vein, the game delivers.

I personally am enjoying it very much and exploring the differences from the previous two games.

I think its time From takes a break from the Souls games for a bit. Maybe see what Mizayki (sp) is working on.

I love the idea and central concept of Souls...maybe than can take it in a new direction.

I hope its a new IP. (Though I enjoyed Kings Field, I think the comparisons to Elder Scrolls would hurt it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom