• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celegus

I really love how you can be going through a dark area, thinking you cleaned house, only to hear faint footsteps coming up behind you and you turn around and instinctively lay waste to whatever was about to jump you. Awesome moments.

Or when you're walking through a valley and get jumped on by four of those nasty axe/whip guys in
Huntsman's Copse
, and then proceed to wreck all of their faces simultaneously. Luring? Who needs it!

thejpfin

Decided to try out summoning on
Lost Sinner
and killed him.

I feel like a cheater. This is horrible. :((

Nah, you are not a cheater. No need to feel that.
When you enter a boss battle with summon buddies, that boss gets stronger.
So most boss battles are still really hard even you co-op them.

Sullichin

Or when you're walking through a valley and get jumped on by four of those nasty axe/whip guys in
Huntsman's Copse
, and then proceed to wreck all of their faces simultaneously. Luring? Who needs it!
One of the hardest parts of the game for me. They're hard to pull individually and they continually wrecked me. Ashamed to say that I didn't beat the chariot boss until those guys were extinct.

By far my favorite weapon is the greatsword. Try it.
I really should. It's dumb that I have a STR build without it. It seems quite popular when I play multiplayer. It looks awesome, but I was not a fan of the move set when I used it. I'll have to give it another shot.

So where's the best place to get some Large Titanite?

I'm currently doing a sort of quality build so I guess I'm starting to upgrade some halberds. Any consensus what's the one to upgrade?

LiK

No Man's Wharf was easy. Just have a torch with you. I didn't find the Pharros lock until after I completed it. Even the boss took me first try. It's a pretty nice place.

Grinchy

Banned
There is something about the animations and new game engine that creates a feeling of "lag" when trying to attack and dodge quickly. Also, you can get hit without even realizing it, thinking you cleanly side stepped or rolled away, since there's less "weight" to attacks that don't stagger you. All of this makes playing a nimble character less fun than Dark Souls, to me.

Wow, yeah. I always forget to mention the phantom hits. I mean you can kinda see that the weapon "should have" hit you, but you're in the middle of a dodge and it never seems like you should have taken damage.

I'm going to stick with the dual-wielding for a little longer before giving up. I've still never equipped a shield in DS2 and I want to keep it that way, but my patience may be waning.

Sullichin

I'm currently doing a sort of quality build so I guess I'm starting to upgrade some halberds. Any consensus what's the one to upgrade?

There's a stone vendor woman in
Harvest Valley
. As you progress she sells more, and eventually sells unlimited large shards and chunks.I got most of the large shards I needed just from killing normal enemies in the game though, definitely enough for one weapon at least.

So I'm making progress as a swordsman, but I still haven't found any weapons that really work for me other than the scimitar (starting weapon) and the falchion (bought at blacksmith). Any advice on where to find good Dex weapons? I've already killed a number of bosses and I'm still not finding anything good. And it's making me worried that I'm wasting resources upgrading them because I'm bound to find something better soon. And Tantanite seems pretty hard to come by so far.

Next question: Armor. Same deal, found leather armor early on and everything else I've found looks like it's geared towards heavier characters. I rock some of the merchants cloths too, but I found those back in the Forest of the Giants.

No Man's Wharf was easy. Just have a torch with you. I didn't find the Pharros lock until after I completed it. Even the boss took me first try. It's a pretty nice place.

Yeah, it's not too bad (at least, so far). Those crazy black creatures suck though. I lit the big torch and now they're all huddled in dark building. Even if I block the bleed damage goes through, and three of them attacking together is no fun.

I really wish the enemies could hit each other. Seems like a lot of problems would be solved that way.

Audioboxer

Are boltstones a one time use? Wanting to kill Blue Sentinel Targray for his armour on my cleric. If they are I'll just stock up on a few before doing so.

There's a stone vendor woman in
Harvest Valley
. As you progress she sells more, and eventually sells unlimited large shards and chunks.I got most of the large shards I needed just from killing normal enemies in the game though, definitely enough for one weapon at least.
Ok I've found her. Doesn't sell any Large Titanites yet though.

Too bad I blew most of mine to an elemental weapon early on so I could beat couple of though bosses.

So I'm making progress as a swordsman, but I still haven't found any weapons that really work for me other than the scimitar (starting weapon) and the falchion (bought at blacksmith). Any advice on where to find good Dex weapons? I've already killed a number of bosses and I'm still not finding anything good. And it's making me worried that I'm wasting resources upgrading them because I'm bound to find something better soon. And Tantanite seems pretty hard to come by so far.

Next question: Armor. Same deal, found leather armor early on and everything else I've found looks like it's geared towards heavier characters. I rock some of the merchants cloths too, but I found those back in the Forest of the Giants.

I run dex/faith and I use the Heide Spear, other spears seem good too. You can also get enemies in th Iron Keep to drop a katana which is great, probably better, actually.

Sullichin

How do you put poison/magic/fire/thunder dmg to your weapon? All I'm getting from blacksmith is just dmg upgrade.

Need to find the second blacksmith
Lost Bastille
and an ember
Iron Keep
. You can imbue a weapon at any point during its upgrade process now, which is really nice.

Ferrio

Banned
Need to find the second blacksmith
Lost Bastille
and an ember
Iron Keep
. You can imbue a weapon at any point during its upgrade process now, which is really nice.

Upgrading to an elemental version removes any of the regular bonuses right?

naku

Does it make sense to concentrate on both, faith and intelligence. I kinda want to build a character with strong spells yet good with weapons with mage damage. Any ideas/advice?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So if I have falchion +9, will it reset and change to just plain fire falchion?

If you have a plain Falchion +9 and infuse it to fire it'll become a Fire Falchion +9.

The upgrade system in this one is quite forgiving, really.

Sullichin

Upgrading to an elemental version removes any of the regular bonuses right?

You'd keep the +9, but it lowers the scaling bonus. But it would be a fire falchion +9. If you removed the fire it would be like you never added it in the first place. In Dark Souls, you could only upgrade during specific branch points (+5 for fire weapons) and couldn't remove it without losing some upgrades.

Is the first Pharros contraption you come across in the I
ron
K
eep
(after the first boss/second bonfire) used for anything cool? I don't want to waste a stone if it's useless. It's after the bridge with the two turtle enemies (in the door on the left). The first contraption in the area filled a pool with water (which was useful for getting a chest), but how about the second one?

Vizzeh

Banned
Going to create a primary melee char, can you guys recommend a ranged option, be it magic or arrows with the best trade off without putting too much stat points into a mostly unused ability...

I just want a ranged option vs some likely troublesome future encounters.

Worst in the series. It does some things I like, but it's grossly outweighed by the bad.
Really, easily the best to me. Already way more balanced than dark souls 1. Nearly as much content as both previous souls games combined. Multiplayer that actually works(even with soul count). Most of the changes they have made make the game more enjoyable

Fhtagn

What's the consensus on this game so far, compared to the other Souls?

The general consensus is that it's a very worthy sequel, and ymmv as to where you rank it compared to the other two. There are people who really hate the changes, and others who unequivocally put it above the previous two.

it's also very early for these assessments as I keep seeing people judging it based on the first 10 hours when it's actually massively large game with many of the best areas much later on, so we won't have an accurate consensus for a few weeks at least. I am 43 hours in and am not into the end game yet; I am really enjoying it a lot and have to wait till I have a few more full playthroughs under my belt to really know how I rank it against the other games.

Not sure how far you are, as others have said, there is a vendor that sells it later, but I haven't unlocked him yet. The area below the gutter (its green and has green poison shooting statues, forgot its name) is where I farmed some. There are 7 tentacle monsters that pop up from puddles. They have a chance to drop large shards and chunks.

If you rest at a bonfire, the monsters respawn, but the statues stay dead, so its super easy to farm. Its also a small area and a major boss is right there, so you can drop your summon sign and kill the adds in the hosts game as well, then kill the boss for massive souls. I was getting 13k with the silver ring.

A Pharos stone is a must here but over all one of the easier areas.

I disagree, why waste a lock stone there when you can simply run past them with a torch? (Or kill them, they'll still cower in fear so either way) Creates the same effect as the giant torch without wasting anything.

This is my first post, great to finally be apart of this place :D

Guevara

Going to create a primary melee char, can you guys recommend a ranged option, be it magic or arrows with the best trade off without putting too much stat points into a mostly unused ability...

I just want a ranged option vs some likely troublesome future encounters.

If you just want to pull enemies, I use a basic bow and cheap wood arrows.

Wow, yeah. I always forget to mention the phantom hits. I mean you can kinda see that the weapon "should have" hit you, but you're in the middle of a dodge and it never seems like you should have taken damage.

I'm going to stick with the dual-wielding for a little longer before giving up. I've still never equipped a shield in DS2 and I want to keep it that way, but my patience may be waning.

You're getting hit BECAUSE you are in the middle of the dodge. From what I noticed the few i-frames that are left in DS are pretty much at the start of the roll so you have to me much more precise if you plan on using these frames.
The only attack that this fails me regularly is the grab attack by the ogres. Their grab seems to be active much longer than the invincibility frames on my roll so even if I manage to roll through the attack they still grab me and it looks weird because you're kinda sucke into it.

Ferrio

Banned
You'd keep the +9, but it lowers the scaling bonus. But it would be a fire falchion +9. If you removed the fire it would be like you never added it in the first place. In Dark Souls, you could only upgrade during specific branch points (+5 for fire weapons) and couldn't remove it without losing some upgrades.

So it's best to upgrade both eh... hrm... thought they were mutually exclusive.

Also have beaten the other two, but finding this considerably easier so far. Although it's my first sorcerer too. So instead of in close dodging and parrying, I just hang back and cheese everyone. ;) But I've found enough melee loot I'm tempted to respec later.

I'm not even sure I'm playing Sorcerer right, but seems to be working so far.

Sorcerer is easy mode confirmed.
Well, as a mellee dedicated player since day one, I can earnestly say this is the hardest souls game yet to me. And that includes Demon's, in which I had no idea what I was doing[in effect, cranking the challenge up a notch].
In fact, I didn't really spec up smartly in Dark 1 either, so this is my first time doing everything right out of the gate, and I'm still getting smacked around like a redheaded step child.

Is this set in the game? I've seen certain enemies wearing it and it is fresh as hell.
Iei3Dop.jpg

theytookourjobz

Holy shit the boss that you have to kill for last soul of a giant is awful. Camera gets in the way big time. Huge boss fight in a tiny corridor is bad design. Don't even see anything but his fucking feet either.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What's the consensus on this game so far, compared to the other Souls?

Probably need more time as most are still early into their honeymoon phase still, and proper deliberation takes time. If anything it is a huge game, but one that is segmented into a greater number of bite-size chunks, compared to the larger epic set dressings as in earlier titles. The number of bosses to take down might dwarf both older games combined...with mixed results in how well designed they are.

I have a lot of misgivings about the game so far, but I still can't stop playing it. The level layouts are definitely not as grandiose and interesting as in previous games despite a healthy amount of secret baubles and whatnot scattered about. Some really striking areas mixed with a great number of tinny, bland ones. Bonfire runs are short and are starting to feel less like stressful checkpoint runs even when uncovering the unknown. The mechanical changes are more inconveniences for the early game, as much of it seemingly dissipates with how brazen the leveling is.

But yea, it's still an addictive time and even when I feel down on certain aspects of the game, something occurs to swing the pendulum back.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

It will become a +9 fire falchion

The process has been simplified, but I still think the regular upgrade path is best in most cases (like if you're a pure STR or DEX build). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Is this set in the game? I've seen certain enemies wearing it and it is fresh as hell.
http://i.imgur.com/Iei3Dop.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

It is! The enemies that wear it, have a decent chance of dropping pieces of the set. The cloak is one of the best looking armor pieces in the game imo.

I can't wait til wikis are updated with pics of every set in the game.

Alric

No Mans Wharf definitely had one of the easiest boss fights so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom