• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

Played 6 hours so far. I haven't banked any souls, since I keep dying.

I'm at the first boss (Last Giant), and I keep fucking dying.

Have I broken the game? Like, did I totally fuck up by losing those souls? All the enemies have disappeared.

No. You'll be fine just spending the souls you get from eventually beating bosses. Try not to lose those. You can always do coop to farm for more souls too.

In previous games you could just grind normal enemies forever, but there's limited enemy spawns now. But still, losing your souls over and over is a pretty core component of how the game is supposed to play out. You'll be fine!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So this soul count nonsense is making it harder to find co-op partners? The hell is that about?

According to Bamco you need to be within 10 levels and within 50,000 Soul Memory to either co-op with or invade someone. Which is generous at the start, but is an increasingly narrow range as you accumulate souls.

My Soul Memory is 2,316,502 at the moment. So only other players who have between 2,266,502 and 2,366,502 Soul Memory are available for me to do online stuff with, if what that Bamco rep says is accurate. Which seems crazy, but I'm getting less and less co-op as my Soul Memory increases, so even if it's not completely accurate there seems to be some truth to Soul Memory slowly strangling the online component as you play.

Fhtagn

What is there to enjoy about a broken weapon? It's effectively saying "You're doing too good, so lets fuck you up for no particular reason", especially when it auto repairs at bonfires. Resources are limited enough that you can't upgrade too many weapons, so why are they trying to force that on you?

You should probably stop hitting walls with your sword, I'm guessing. I've only had the danger warning happen three times and broke a weapon once in 43 hours of play. When it did happen it ramped up the intensity dramatically as it was my only good weapon and I hadn't even unlocked the blacksmith yet so I had to get by on a dagger for a while.

There is a ring that protects durability if you are using katanas...

Gorillaz

Played 6 hours so far. I haven't banked any souls, since I keep dying.

I'm at the first boss (Last Giant), and I keep fucking dying.

Have I broken the game? Like, did I totally fuck up by losing those souls? All the enemies have disappeared.
What's your setup?

Call in help if your having trouble breh

Ferr986

Where are the sinner players? Im a Blue Sentinel and not only I dont get summoned for help with the ring,I cant even find anyone to invade with the cracked blue orb.

Guh, totally at a stand-still right now. Beat the Dragonrider, but can't seem to hold my own against the Old Dragonslayer.

So, took a detour and headed to Huntman's Copse, where those Torturers completely tear me apart. Then, headed to the Grave of Saints, but get smacked down by the Rat Vanguard. And, going to No-Man's Wharf, get destroyed by those long-armed creatures that inflict bleed. No matter which route I have open now, just can't seem to make any progress. Any suggestions?

I'm soul level 38, warrior, with most of my points allocated to strength and endurance.

fucking love these scrubs with the greatsword. So fucking bad. Swing, miss, get smashed with 2 soul spears > die. Invaders/belltower trespassers (or bell-ends, as i call them) carrying one of these = easiest PVP wins i'll ever have in this game as a sorcerer.

If only i had a better catalyst :D

Greatsword is beast in pvp if you know how to use it.

Never use lock on. I'm not even aimed in the direction of people when i swing it. I swing then move the camera for a huge hit radius. The running past them/vertical slice get ppl all the time...after that you done boy

Alric

Where are the sinner players? Im a Blue Sentinel and not only I dont get summoned for help with the ring,I cant even find anyone to invade with the cracked blue orb.

I've been summoned once in probably the 12 hours of game time I've been a Blue Sentinel.

Just wanna say I didn't use pyromancy at all the whole game but when someone invaded me and used the spell toxic on me I immediately panicked and died to trying to heal and having this guy chase me. I looked up the requirements and I am now packing the glove and the toxic spell. Had 2 invasions and through toxic at them and they immediey panicked and died lol. This spell is crazy. It's also good for pve. I've upped the glove to +5 and the spell only has 3 uses. Besides upping the glove is their a way to make the spell stronger and more usages ??

What area is the pyro glove in and where do I get the spell?

I've been throwing Witching Urns in PvP to catch people off guard. Not many seem to have good magic resistance so they're pretty effective. Throwing poison sounds much more effective...and fiendish!

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
No. You'll be fine just spending the souls you get from eventually beating bosses. Try not to lose those. You can always do coop to farm for more souls too.

In previous games you could just grind normal enemies forever, but there's limited enemy spawns now. But still, losing your souls over and over is a pretty core component of how the game is supposed to play out. You'll be fine!

I agree with this, I'm always afraid that I'll break RPGs by sucking too bad and it keeps me from playing them, but it probably wouldn't be a very good game if you could break it that easily. Soldier on :p

Is there any way to know what covenant people are offering before abandoning your old one? I want to shop around but I want to be able to make an informed choice without losing access to them. Or is that not possible lol

Astral

Guh, totally at a stand-still right now. Beat the Dragonrider, but can't seem to hold my own against the Old Dragonslayer.

So, took a detour and headed to Huntman's Copse, where those Torturers completely tear me apart. Then, headed to the Grave of Saints, but get smacked down by the Rat Vanguard. And, going to No-Man's Wharf, get destroyed by those long-armed creatures that inflict bleed. No matter which route I have open now, just can't seem to make any progress. Any suggestions?

I'm soul level 38, warrior, with most of my points allocated to strength and endurance.

Give No Man's Wharf another try, but this time equip a torch for the bleed guys. You can also try the forest of fallen giants near the Majula bonfire. That's pretty easy.

emb

I've upgraded my weapons quite a bit and it's at risk of breaking in a single run. I even took a short cut the boss and barely used my swords. Still got left high and dry.

What is there to enjoy about a broken weapon? It's effectively saying "You're doing too good, so lets fuck you up for no particular reason", especially when it auto repairs at bonfires. Resources are limited enough that you can't upgrade too many weapons, so why are they trying to force that on you?
It's not my favorite new mechanic either, but some upsides to it: Encourages using multiple weapons, and adds another dimension to weapons; when choosing best gear, it's worth looking at durability.

I haven't run into it much; I've been dying a lot and using (ultra) great swords through the game. With frailer weapons, keep a backup. I'm not saying it's good or anything though, definitely not a very fun mechanic. The only thing about it that's really annoyed me so far is how expensive ring repair is if you get caught in some corrosion or whatever.

Weapons degraded before too iirc, and didn't repair at bonfires. At least now there's no occasional surprise. It never really happened to me iirc, but I always worried it would. Or maybe I just imagine that being in Dark and Demon's?

cazosozey

Why?
I completed Sinners Rest but completely forgot to go back and finish Belfry. What did I miss?

Changes the boss fight.
The key you get from Belfry allows you to access the top cells area of the boss in Bastille. Once you have those open you can light the oil on each side, which will illuminate the boss battle, making him much easier to lock on.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Did you get the Drangleic shield and sword? If you meet the strength and dexterity requirements to use them, I think they would help you a lot in the areas you are stuck in. The stabbing motion with the sword's strong attacks can really come in handy at hitting opponents from a bit of range.

You should probably stop hitting walls with your sword, I'm guessing. I've only had the danger warning happen three times and broke a weapon once in 43 hours of play. When it did happen it ramped up the intensity dramatically as it was my only good weapon and I hadn't even unlocked the blacksmith yet so I had to get by on a dagger for a while.

There is a ring that protects durability if you are using katanas...

The only area I had weapon breaking be an issue is
No Mans Warf
, seems to be something special about the enemies that drain durability faster. It's been the only time in ~40 hours of playing that I have been caught off guard from a weapon breaking.

RyanDG

Resources are limited enough that you can't upgrade too many weapons, so why are they trying to force that on you?

If you are having that much of a problem, consider attuning the repair spell or bringing in a stock of repair powder. Repair powder is relatively cheap.

Additionally, the ability to upgrade weapons in this game seems a lot easier than previous souls games. For example, I currently have 3 weapons at +10 and 3 that are at +9. And this is without any significant grinding going into it aside from pvping in the bell covenant (which is the easiest way to earn titanite chunks right now).

If you aren't a fan of invading though, I can understand where you may be having upgrade issues (at least until near the end of the game).

Guevara

I'm really bummed that the more I co-op, the harder it will get to co-op :-(

Basically I have to decide if I want to help people, or help myself.

blackflag

According to Bamco you need to be within 10 levels and within 50,000 Soul Memory to either co-op with or invade someone. Which is generous at the start, but is an increasingly narrow range as you accumulate souls.

My Soul Memory is 2,316,502 at the moment. So only other players who have between 2,266,502 and 2,366,502 Soul Memory are available for me to do online stuff with, if what that Bamco rep says is accurate. Which seems crazy, but I'm getting less and less co-op as my Soul Memory increases, so even if it's not completely accurate there seems to be some truth to Soul Memory slowly strangling the online component as you play.

Wow, they are going to need to adjust that significantly.

ironcreed

Banned
I feel like this is geared more towards playing in NG+ and NG++ than the first one or Demon's Souls was. Especially after seeing what will be available there. Get a good build and some nice gear going on the first run and then really dive in with increased difficulty and even more goodies.

deeTyrant

It can lead to some really cool moments, like your relying on a weapon, your fighting a fairly tough enemy your weapon breaks and you have to switch to a long bow with only wooden arrows and you just barely survive. Stuff like that makes it a neat addition in my opinion.

I guess they can't all be winners. What a step backwards after the previous level where they were actually used appropriately.

Hmm that is interesting. I swear I checked that and they respawned for me. I might have to go back (yay...) and do some experimenting.

They come back if you die or leave the area and return (except for being summoned). Buy if you don't leave, then you can kill all 15 waves but only have to kill the statues once.

Its a game mechanic. Resting will reset enemies, but any physical changes to the world stay put (destructables, doors open/closed, ect)

todd360

Best bosses to sunbro at? Old Iron King is pretty hit or miss. Most people don't know what to do and die easily.

I got knocked into the hole the first time I faced him. Like seconds after the battle started. I felt bad for the two guys I summoned. I then went solo and found that he wasn't really that hard to beat by yourself.

What SL are most people finishing the game on? Seems like PVP and general levels will be higher.

I am playing as a Mage and I am already at SL 80. In Dark Souls 1 I would have already been on NG+ by now.

The 2 new stats don't help along with ATN needing almost double levels for the same slots as the first game.

Are others a lot higher than usual?

I'm SL 81 and I only have one of the four 'large souls.' I'm currently a Dex/Int hybrid build, been mainly putting my souls into those two plus Endurance. Unlike Dark Souls it seems most of the stats are actually worthwhile for all classes now. Especially since a lot of the Dex weapons have decent Str requirements now and vice versa. So I can easily see the Levelcap being higher for a regular run through. I'm also interested to see how plausible SL1 runs are in this game.

emb

Have you found the Forest of Fallen Giants yet? It's another path from Majula, and I think it's somewhat considered the 'first' area you should beat. Not sure the second boss there would be any easier than the routes you mentioned, but it might not hurt to check if you haven't.

Of the ways you mentioned, I did No Man's Wharf first. Try to lure the long arms out one at a time, get a hit in after they attack, and repeat.

I heard a lot of people saying the
Old Iron Keep
was easy.
Turtles, falling platforms, fire.
I've been working through this place all day . . .

Dresden

It can lead to some really cool moments, like your relying on a weapon, your fighting a fairly tough enemy your weapon breaks and you have to switch to a long bow with only wooden arrows and you just barely survive. Stuff like that makes it a neat addition in my opinion.

Eh, it basically means you just keep a backup weapon to use until you can grab the Bracing Knuckle Ring (and its upgrades).

aren't there other factors, like roll distance?

Distance is determined by your equip burden percentage, too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Do the greatbow dudes in Dranglec Castle drop the blacksteel katana? I've farmed the Iron Keep dudes to extinction :(

Are you using the Merchant's hat? I got like five of those katana farming the Iron Keep guys to extinction. Speaking of which, I should probably take a look at that sword. I liked using katana weapons in the first game.

Sullichin

I feel like this is geared more towards playing in NG+ and NG++ than the first one or Demon's Souls was. Especially after seeing what will be available there. Get a good build and some nice gear going on the first run and then really dive in with increased difficulty and even more goodies.

I haven't read anything about NG+ except it's actually different this time and there's new items. Excited to try it out. I'm kind of bummed that you can't play with NG+ people in NG now though. But I feel like Soul Memory is going to eventually force me into NG+.

Ferrio

Banned
I've been summoned once in probably the 12 hours of game time I've been a Blue Sentinel.

Seems you need to be human for it to happen.

I'm thinking that you still might get the rewards if you kill red invaders that you've summoned through red writing....haven't tested though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

Co-op is a major feature of the game... don't be a hero, this is Dark Souls. I never fight bosses alone :). Bring in a soul! it's satisufying to have a tanker and a caster take on a boss together.

Give No Man's Wharf another try, but this time equip a torch for the bleed guys. You can also try the forest of fallen giants near the Majula bonfire. That's pretty easy.

So, I totally flipped that switch that lights up the No-Mans' Wharf area, since I heard it would make those guys easier. For a bit, they'd venture out of their hidey holes, writhe and pain, and retreat. But after additional attempts, they stopped doing that and now seems like the light doesn't do anything. I also tried the torch method, too, but didn't notice any huge results. I'll give it another try tonight. Oh, and I've already beaten the Last Giant (and completely cleared the Forest of Fallen Giants).

Did you get the Drangleic shield and sword? If you meet the strength and dexterity requirements to use them, I think they would help you a lot in the areas you are stuck in. The stabbing motion with the sword's strong attacks can really come in handy at hitting opponents from a bit of range.

SO, don't have the Drangelic shield and sword. Where are they located? Like most folks, I'm running around with the Flame Longsword (at +3) and the Homunculus Mace (+3, too).

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
So I'm dual wielding, how important is STR going to be? Can I go with str = dex or will DEX be more important? I can't block so I gotta be fast so I don't know if I'll be using any weapons that will need or benefit much from the str

Are you using the Merchant's hat? I got like five of those katana farming the Iron Keep guys to extinction. Speaking of which, I should probably take a look at that sword. I liked using katana weapons in the first game.

Blacksteel Katana is on the lower end of damage for the katanas in my experience. Uchigatana seems to be better on the whole and require less in stats. Berserker Blade took me a while to farm but it does a ton of damage.

I haven't gotten to the point where I can get the Manslayer yet but I think that one is gonna be the DPS king outside of Chaos Blade for katanas. Berserker Blade is 20 points stronger but Manslayer has poison.

Ferrio

Banned
So I'm dual wielding, how important is STR going to be? Can I go with str = dex or will DEX be more important? I can't block so I gotta be fast so I don't know if I'll be using any weapons that will need or benefit much from the str

Dual wielding (power stancing it that is) stats only matter as long as you have 1.5x the stat requirements. So if a sword has 10 str, 15 dex required, you're going to need 15 str and 22 dex.

Other than that... upgrade the stats mattering on the damage scaling of the weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom