• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

eot

Banned
Do you mean just aiming a bow? It's the same as before. I'm a dex character and a mere +3 shortbow has helped me out on several occasions. Or is there manual spell aiming now as well? If so, can't comment on that. Not going for magic this run.

Thanks for the reply. What I meant was how some people said the attacks are independent of your lock on, so you can attack to the left even though you're facing an enemy. Maybe you can disable that?

2AdEPT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT6UnoYL4lw

Hey everyone, here is some footage of Demon's Souls from when I played a few days ago. The location is Stonefang tunnel, the place the Souls lightbulb went on inside my brain where I said, "this it, this is the game I was waiting for!"

Hope it helps keep those of us avoiding spoilers preoccupied, and for those who never tried Demon's or didn't figure out world tendency etc. this vid may help. I will try to get more vids up as I have about five hours of footage, that magically appeared on my hard drive while I was fooling around trying to get my avermedia card set up and working.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie

Hey everyone, here is some footage of Demon's Souls from when I played a few days ago. The location is Stonefang tunnel, the place the Souls lightbulb went on inside my brain where I said, "this it, this is the game I was waiting for!"

Hope it helps keep those of us avoiding spoilers preoccupied, and for those who never tried Demon's or didn't figure out world tendency etc. this vid may help. I will try to get more vids up as I have about five hours of footage, that magically appeared on my hard drive while I was fooling around trying to get my avermedia card set up and working.

These are desperate times and content like this does help a lot. Thanks!

I've finished demons and dark, but it's good to see some original souls related stuff either way.

Sykotik

Whelp. I just accidentally clicked on the spoiler thread and got pic blasted all over my face.

Lesson learned. Goin' dark on Dark Souls 2.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Thanks for the reply. What I meant was how some people said the attacks are independent of your lock on, so you can attack to the left even though you're facing an enemy. Maybe you can disable that?

Hmm, I haven't experienced this. I'll have to look over the settings, but in my experience the locking on is mostly as it was in DkS I.

Bedlam

People on /dsg/ are complaining about a lot of compromises FROM made in the name of "accessibility", can someone confirm this?
Are they complaining about the same stuff that we've been discussing for weeks? Respeccing, bonfire warping right from the start and so on?

Parmenide

Since i haven't watched streams i can't tell you for sure, but pepole keep saying that the game feels a lot easier compared to the previous ones and (spoiler about Lordvessel)
you can respec at least 3 times

Fhtagn

At this point I am uninterested in more complaints over accessibility until I've played the game long enough to have my own opinion on the matter. We've already hashed out respec & warp from start for many pages each and with the game so close and the core challenge still present, we know they've made a real Souls game, just one that is again different in flavor that DeS and DkS and it's going to be really hard to know how that difference really plays out until we've played the game for a lot of hours.

Fhtagn

Since i haven't watched streams i can't tell you for sure, but pepole keep saying that the game feels a lot easier compared to the previous ones and (spoiler about Lordvessel)
you can respec at least 3 times

I have only seen people saying it's actually harder, but I've been avoiding reddit and spoiler threads. No one has come to this thread to say it's easier, have they?

bigol

I have only seen people saying it's actually harder, but I've been avoiding reddit and spoiler threads. No one has come to this thread to say it's easier, have they?

You can
respec 3 times if you find 3 soulvessels.
I still don't know how respec works,though

NZNova

Just finished my second playthrough of dark souls and could not possibly be more pumped to dive straight into the sequel.

Parmenide

I literary didn't find anyone who is not complaining about the much easier bossfights so far.

MilkBeard

heh, cool I've been watching it. Nice vid. I need to get back to Demon's Souls at some point.

Parmenide

No way dude from what I have seen the boss fights are just as hard as the first dark souls.
I don't know who to believe anymore. The most wise thing now is waiting for the release and judging myself, something that probably i should have done from the beginning.

SJRB

Gold Member
There's plenty hard boss fights, don't worry. Sure, some bossfights are pushovers but every Souls game has easy fights. Not every bossfight should be frustratingly hard.

MilkBeard

I don't know who to believe anymore. The most wise thing now is waiting for the release and judging myself, something that probably i should have done from the beginning.

Seems like it depends on who's playing, and what tactics they normally use. That Kenneth guy seemed to have a hard time with a particular boss but he made a lot of dumb mistakes.

2AdEPT

These are desperate times and content like this does help a lot. Thanks!

I've finished demons and dark, but it's good to see some original souls related stuff either way.

Yep real desperate....especially when Jeff Green goes out and gets Diablo to tie himself over instead of streaming his final Dark Souls run for us. :0

heh, cool I've been watching it. Nice vid. I need to get back to Demon's Souls at some point.

Thanks!

MilkBeard

I'm curious to see what my total death number will be by the end of Dark Souls II. I have a feeling just having that number tracked will make me play in an even more cautious style than I already do. I'll probably be consciously trying to get a low number.

-Ryn

Banned
I'm curious to see what my total death number will be by the end of Dark Souls II. I have a feeling just having that number tracked will make me play in an even more cautious style than I already do. I'll probably be consciously trying to get a low number.
Is it confirmed whether or not they will have stat comparisons for kills and deaths? Would probably be cool for PvP.
Maybe something for deaths per new game?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
For anyone who has played or been spoiled to death.. Are there any Bed of chaos, ceaseless discharge level crappy bosses?

You can spoiler tag if the answer would bother people.

Sickbean

For anyone who has played or been spoiled to death.. Are there any Bed of chaos, ceaseless discharge level crappy bosses?

It honestly seems like they've gone too far the other way. Like they heard everyone saying how great Artorias was and just made loads of the bosses like that.

Fhtagn

i have heard that there are no bed of chaos/ dragon god style puzzle bosses. Ceaseless is beatable without the falling trick, so I dunno if there are any like that where there is an optional method to kill them fast.

MilkBeard

Is it confirmed whether or not they will have stat comparisons for kills and deaths? Would probably be cool for PvP.
Maybe something for deaths per new game?

I'm pretty sure that From has said that the death counts will be tracked in some kind of accessible log. Not sure the details, I'm sure someone knows what they said exactly. But it's cool I think to do that, so you can see just how it adds up.

Zaventem

I don't get the health gem complaints when it's slower than humanity and people carried 99 of those and it instant healed to full health. Mechanics like poison and toxic in DaS 2 are built around how the new healing works and they're incredibly deadly.

MilkBeard

I hope the early game doesn't have anything as hard as the Capra Demon.

Lol I never understood why people have such a hard time with Capra Demon. I killed him I think pretty easily on my second try. But I'm a careful shield user, and that is one instance in a game where having a shield will do you a lot of good.

Fhtagn

Capra's my favorite early game boss. It seems impossible/luck based at first but I have now killed him first try with at least four different strategies and builds. Aural decoy, magic shield, running right at him as you go through the door so he doesn't do the jump attack, rolling to the right to hide behind the columns to take care of the dogs... It's a brilliant bit of design in that it just feels unfair or brutal at first but there's really a wide variety of viable strategies to make it consistently manageable.

SJRB

Gold Member
Lol I never understood why people have such a hard time with Capra Demon. I killed him I think pretty easily on my second try. But I'm a careful shield user, and that is one instance in a game where having a shield will do you a lot of good.

Probably because if the dogs RNG isn't in your favor you get cornered and ganked within 5 seconds of entering the arena.

Randam

beat ceaseless only 1 time with the falling "trick".

other times he allways one shooted me.
on my last build he one shooted me at least 5 times.

Feindflug

I don't get the health gem complaints when it's slower than humanity and people carried 99 of those and it instant healed to full health. Mechanics like poison and toxic in DaS 2 are built around how the new healing works and they're incredibly deadly.

Also the people who are playing the game right now are playing offline and they don't have to deal with invasions so even with life gems the game may be a lot more balanced when you play online.

Fhtagn

As long as you act as decisively and aggressively as the Capra demon you will be fine. Or if you use aural decoy (they will all change direction mid attack) or hidden body or fog ring or slumbering dragon crest (isn't there a walk silently spell as well? I can't quite remember), the dogs will ignore you at first and you can get to the stairs ASAP.

MilkBeard

As long as you act as decisively and aggressively as the Capra demon you will be fine. Or if you use aural decoy (they will all change direction mid attack) or hidden body or fog ring or slumbering dragon crest (isn't there a walk silently spell as well? I can't quite remember), the dogs will ignore you at first and you can get to the stairs ASAP.

My strategy was just to strafe around the room in a circle, all the while separating the dogs one by one and taking them out. Doing that was fairly standard fare really, the only issue is the tight quarters. Really, Capra Demon is only tough on first encounter because of the surprise. After that though he was pretty easy to me.

-Ryn

Banned
I'm pretty sure that From has said that the death counts will be tracked in some kind of accessible log. Not sure the details, I'm sure someone knows what they said exactly. But it's cool I think to do that, so you can see just how it adds up.
It really would be interesting to see how far you've progressed. I remember dying all the time in my first run through of the game.

I remember getting destroyed by him. However that was mostly due to me not thinking
to kill the dogs first and then focusing on fighting him. After that though it was just a matter of dodging
his attacks and then promptly going berserk on him. I really wouldn't mind another fight like his.
Felt great when I beat him. Feels better now that I can destroy him.

Revs

PS3 or Xbox, any ideas which version performs better?
DS1 performance was almost equal as far as I remember.

I hope that DF verdict will drop this Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom