• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiroryu

With what you propose, people will have a balanced game until they hit level 40, at which piont every few steps some tweaked out god will appear in their game and kill them. Trust me, for the average person just wanting to play the game, this only has to happen a few times before they unplug. Maybe even once. You can't just "not go human" to avoid invasions this time. This is the choice From made, so the restrictions are required.

In your scenario everyone over 40 would be unplugged or pvpers.

Yup, DSII online will live and die by how well From can balance the invasion aspect, now that hollowing doesn't block invasion.

One encouraging part of it is that invaders are auto-indicted, and as their sin rises, they are more likely to get invaded. People who're just into PvE and also hollow will be ranked as very low priority, so they won't be invaded as often. Finally, there's the amazing starting item that makes your world's monsters hostile to invaders too, nasty surprise there. Just hope it's not a one-use item lol.

Shinjica

Yup, DSII online will live and die by how well From can balance the invasion aspect, now that hollowing doesn't block invasion.

One encouraging part of it is that invaders are auto-indicted, and as their sin rises, they are more likely to get invaded. People who're just into PvE and also hollow will be ranked as very low priority, so they won't be invaded as often. Finally, there's the amazing starting item that makes your world's monsters hostile to invaders too, nasty surprise there. Just hope it's not a one-use item lol.

I hope is one use only. Invaders now have against them Blue sentinels. The system need o be fair.

Prototype

There is an armor set that bears a close resemblance
As for his sword.......well.....

Looks very cool. I've been on almost total media blackout for this game. Other then some promotional images and the random things I come across on the web I've no idea what's awaiting me.

In Demons Souls I loved the Gloom set and used it almost exclusively. Dark Souls had more armors to choose from but I frequently found my self using Black Iron mix sets or full Dark Set. Ornstein set was another that just looked so badass I had to use it, even though I think it's a pretty crappy set. Of course can't not mention Artorias set here as well.

shiroryu

I hope is one use only. Invaders now have against them Blue sentinels. The system need o be fair.

I'd argue that invaders don't really lose anything (except perhaps lowering health below 50% if that is true) and get souls in return, so there needs to be some risk in there for them. No free rewards anymore. Of course, dueling PvP will continue to exist in a vacuum away from these.

Particularly, invaders "using" monsters that already meant to kill the host in two-three hits struck me as being kind of cheap and unbalancing the PvE difficulty From worked hard to balance.

And the Blue Sentinels are really invader hunters rather than host helpers, and phantom helpers are now on time limits. Whatever happens, there's going to be some good free-for-alls.

Looking forward to the launch day PvP chaos.

Shinjica

I'd argue that invaders don't really lose anything (except perhaps lowering health below 50% if that is true) and get souls in return, so there needs to be some risk in there for them. No free rewards anymore. Of course, dueling PvP will continue to exist in a vacuum away from these.

Particularly, invaders "using" monsters that already meant to kill the host in two-three hits struck me as being kind of cheap and unbalancing the PvE difficulty From worked hard to balance.

And the Blue Sentinels are really invader hunters rather than host helpers, and phantom helpers are now on time limits. Whatever happens, there's going to be some good free-for-alls.

Looking forward to the launch day PvP chaos.

I'm 99% sure that if you're in the Way of Blue, when invaded, you automatically summom a Blue sentinel to help you. So it's a 2 vs 1

Still really bummed that enemies just disappear now, the rag doll was always amusing and it was nice to see the corpses litter the area. Animations also looked oddly sped up in the video I watched but the area looked really nice. Shame the lighting seems to be so inconsistent.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Mh, a little OT here: Tried to start up DS1 again, but can't get it to work with a PS4 pad (and DS4tool), won't even recognize there's a controller connected. Is this a known problem with an easy solution or will I have to get back my 360 controller (which I lent to a friend)?

MedIC86

Its probarly been asked to death but i dont feel like wading through the whole thread, i have acces to a gaming pc, x360, ps3 (i played DS on the ps3), should i wait for the PC version? or will it be another fiasco like the port of DS?

Its probarly been asked to death but i dont feel like wading through the whole thread, i have acces to a gaming pc, x360, ps3 (i played DS on the ps3), should i wait for the PC version? or will it be another fiasco like the port of DS?

PC version should be fine this time. My advice is to wait for that version.

One neat little feature (the curious can click, not a big spoiler)
is that you can dress up certain people at your leisure. I just met a girl clothed in rags, and I could equip her with anything I wanted.

Her right?

2d370d54b5c4feb23d0a167d9577a587.jpg

Its her quest, try and find the right one perhaps?

Dragons Dogma was essentially a berserk game lol. That part with the princess was ripped straight from berserk (Griffith's capture and imprisonment).

I, like you, am hoping that there is more cross promotional stuff in Dragons Dogma 2, with it culminating in the dragonslayer and berserk armor.

I will now be forced to make two DS2 characters. One swordsman cuz dual wielding looks badass and one pure strength because of that dragonslayer looks badass.

Yes she is. Miura needs to stop being an asshole and give us more chapters at a more acceptable pace...

Also the witch's house guarded by the golem and the witch being really young clealry is taken from berserk and Schierke.

I'm 99% sure that if you're in the Way of Blue, when invaded, you automatically summom a Blue sentinel to help you. So it's a 2 vs 1

Blue's are not effected by enemies either. Their sole purpose is to hunt the blood member. 90% of the time when I was called as a Blue, the red guy would start sprinting away and we would fight 1v1 (host doesn't follow since there are numerous enemies).

dreamfall

Question about humanity- and maybe this is reaching. But I guess I was one of those who farmed humanity from the rats in the sewers, mainly because I liked being human and summoning/getting invaded. What I did find though was I came rely on it a bit during NG+ to heal effectively, turning S&O into a much easier battle (felt like the toughest boss for me). Is it the same in Dark Souls 2? Will having humanity stocked up be an effective healing mechanic?

eot

Banned
Are there any impressions floating around that don't concern the visuals?

Like:
How does the movement / combat feel with the mo-capped animations?
How is the manual attack aiming working?
Is it harder / easier than DkS?
Is it good!?

Like:
Is it good!?

1) animations are looking good. Very good, running animation is still a downgrade though.
2) Same as it did in the beta. Try playing DS without lock on, its like that except the camera is fixed on an enemy.
3) Varies. You can make the game much harder if you want.
4) Of course :)

2AdEPT

As much as I'm looking forward to DS2, I have a sudden urge to play Demon's Souls again. I loved Dark Souls and all, but Demon's Souls is in my top three from last gen. Has anyone played it recently? Does it hold up?

Yes! Great minds think alike and I have been playing Demon's and trying to get some recording done in anticipation of perhaps live streaming and recording my Ds2 progress. I think it does stand up Navy! I actually just finished a voice over of some footage I logged a few days ago in preparation for learning how to record HD video from the Ps3. I did it with the intention of assisting those of us who wish to remain spoiler free for DS2 in chewing up some time. I have about five hours of footage, but the first video is just uploading now and is only 20 minutes....I am having issues with the editing program going batty with the HD quality. I'll post a link when the video finishes uploading...should be less than an hour. If others have some good Demon's or favourite Dark videos of their own I would like to watch yours as well!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Question about humanity- and maybe this is reaching. But I guess I was one of those who farmed humanity from the rats in the sewers, mainly because I liked being human and summoning/getting invaded. What I did find though was I came rely on it a bit during NG+ to heal effectively, turning S&O into a much easier battle (felt like the toughest boss for me). Is it the same in Dark Souls 2? Will having humanity stocked up be an effective healing mechanic?

There is no more humanity as far as I know. The mechanic has been changed. There is a human effigy which will reverse hollowing, but you don't stock it up.

eot said:

Like:
Is it good!?

Indeed, these are the questions that I care about.

Kysen

How bad is latency from the UK -> US? I'm tempted to cancel my UK order and create a US account and download it on Tuesday.

Zaventem

The humanity equivalent in this game does not heal instantly but you can stock up on standard healing gems at
the vendor with the thing on her back for 300 souls a piece.
So it's a good balance imo.

Birathen

How bad is latency from the UK -> US? I'm tempted to cancel my UK order and create a US account and download it on Tuesday.

But if you install it on tour US account youll be able to play it from tour UK account right? Is the game still tied to US servers even after WW release?

dreamfall

There is no more humanity as far as I know. The mechanic has been changed. There is a human effigy which will reverse hollowing, but you don't stock it up.

The humanity equivalent in this game does not heal instantly but you can stock up on standard healing gems at
the vendor with the thing on her back for 300 souls a piece.
So it's a good balance imo.

Huh, interesting. I've always felt in both Souls games, the ability to have a ton of healing items in your inventory helped in the toughest of scenarios. But it was a matter of timing your uses so you didn't get effectively hit/killed in the process of pausing to heal. Those grasses and humanity, helped a lot even on the more challenging runs.

I do wonder how it'll work with the mechanic being changed. So much hype!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Like:
Is it good!?

Combat feels good, a bit slower than DkS. There are more roll variations now. For example my character still isn't fatrolling at 60% ish equip burden, he's still doing a mid roll.
Do you mean just aiming a bow? It's the same as before. I'm a dex character and a mere +3 shortbow has helped me out on several occasions. Or is there manual spell aiming now as well? If so, can't comment on that. Not going for magic this run.
It was more difficult in the beginning than at my current point in the game. I rolled a swordsman, who only has 4 VIT, so I had to focus on upping vit quite a bit to get to decent health. I figure there's one boss early on that'll give people trouble.
Seems like the souls required per level have decreased a lot. 24 hours in with some exploring, I'm already at SL 81

Current stats:
VIG: 28
END: 16
VIT: 10
DEX: 30
ADP: 22
10 fucking STR

128 deaths

The game continues to be awesome and consistently fun. I will say though that I haven't played through any 'iconic' areas like Sen's yet.

spliced

The downgrade in visuals is such a massive adjustment I don't know how I'll get used to the new look...No wait I haven't been watching DS2 stuff so I have no idea what it looks like. Blind playthrough wins again!

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
While I'm not fond of the new invasion mechanic I was ok with all the other changes. But the disappearing enemys are the dumbest thing From changed. Who would benefit from such shit?

krakov

From experience with other games your ping will be bigger than 300 ms which is pretty bad.

Living in Sweden I rarely experience noteworthy lag in Dark Souls. Australia is always bad, US can be laggy but everything else is usually fine.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
If it's the one you mentioned yesterday you should see this and have a laugh.

Very much spoilers ** **

Yeah I knew you could do that, but I neve bothered since
you have to get him in the right position and firing it up takes a lot of time. It does WAY more damage than I thought though.

This guy made it look easy, definitely trying it next run.

Beating this guy felt incredibly good

Sarcasm

If I get this does the region matter? I live in Taiwan and my ps3 is NA account with NA dark souls but I got Japanese players mainly (mostly cheaters). More so when I was gifted the pc version. Still JP players mainly.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
wow.

you need
50 points in VIT for 1500 HP
in dark souls 1. :O
Note that he had this game's equivalent of the FaP ring equipped as well as the fact that every stat other than vigor also raises health and he had over 100 levels worth of those.

-Ryn

Banned
Woooo same here. Finally decided on it today after much debating.

Fuck ya duel wielding!

Starburst_Stream.gif
My man!

I was really disappointed that dual wielding wasn't very viable in Dark Souls so when I heard that they were actually dedicating a class and style to it I knew immediately that I would be dual wielding the whole game. It's going to be awesome once I get the hang of it. Luckily I don't use a shield that often anyway.

OT but that fight is one of my favorite fights in anime. Loved SAO and was really excited to hear about another season coming out.

lol you will get the wanderer set and you will like it.

I've actually recently started a new game in DaS with a friend who wanted to see what it was about (and also to prepare for DS2) and I went with wanderer this time around solely for the longcoat. He has never played an RPG besides the original Legend of Zelda so I was surprised that he wanted to give this a go. Started out rough but we are currently taking on Seath and should beat the game by monday. Assuming everything goes according to plan anyway.

Dual wielding parry and counterattack

Dual wielding running attack, which apparently hits with both weapons (in the source video I heard two consecutive hits when this animation plays)

I definitely want to try some dual wielding.
Thanks that was awesome to watch. Despite the worries over the look of the game (a day 1 patch would be really cool) I'm still extremely hyped for this game. 2 more sleeps to go.

Essay

Note that he had this game's equivalent of the FaP ring equipped as well as the fact that every stat other than vigor also raises health and he had over 100 levels worth of those.

Oh right, he might have had that ring on.

Regarding other stats
boosting HP, reports are coming in that it's 2HP per non-VIG stat up to VIG 20, 1HP until VIG 50 and then ???

EDIT: That's compared to
+30/20/5 HP for level of VIG I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom