• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Going Swordsman as well to start with dual wielding right off the bat. I plan on using dual weapons for the entire game.

Afrodium

Banned
Planning on being a Deprived like I did in the first game but if I redeem that pre-order slip will I automatically start with an armory? Would kind of ruin the appeal of going from rags to riches so to speak.

Also, how big is the game going by the streams? Lot of smaller areas or what?

Nah, there will be a code in the box you can redeem to download the armor. Just don't redeem the code and you can start naked and deprived.

Going Swordsman as well to start with dual wielding right off the bat. I plan on using dual weapons for the entire game.

Woooo same here. Finally decided on it today after much debating.

Fuck ya duel wielding!

Starburst_Stream.gif

Navy Bean

As much as I'm looking forward to DS2, I have a sudden urge to play Demon's Souls again. I loved Dark Souls and all, but Demon's Souls is in my top three from last gen. Has anyone played it recently? Does it hold up?

Jobbs

Banned
As much as I'm looking forward to DS2, I have a sudden urge to play Demon's Souls again. I loved Dark Souls and all, but Demon's Souls is in my top three from last gen. Has anyone played it recently? Does it hold up?

I played Demon's some time after already playing Dark. I liked it, but I didn't like it as much. That's just a taste thing, I guess, but I prefered the singular world of Dark over the nexus and levels system of Demon's. Moreover, while the game looks and feels and moves quite similar to Dark, it's noticeably less refined in its presentation, particularly when it comes to animations. This took some getting used to and for me it's always hard taking a step back.

Toxi

Banned
Woooo same here. Finally decided on it today after much debating.

Fuck ya duel wielding!

Starburst_Stream.gif
I'll be two-handing a real undead's weapon.
black_knight_great_sword_150_with_blur_by_alo81-d6ervga.gif

Demon's Souls definitely holds up. There are a few annoying things like equip burden and world tendency, but the level design is so carefully constructed that it's still entrancing.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Mother of god! Are there many different twin blades?
Just that one, it's kind of a gimmick weapon like whips

Edit -
Nvm there are several, but their damage is very low (many hits/long animation) and pvp viability is highly questionable

Jobbs

Banned
What stats scale for it? Str, dex, quality?

I have no idea, but I've been just assuming that it's got str and dex requirements. It'll scale by dex, and maybe by str, but whether or not it scales much by str I think it'll require some str because it simply *looks* like it requires some str, and From is pretty good about stuff like that.

Did they get rid of whips or potentially even make them useful?

Nah, there will be a code in the box you can redeem to download the armor. Just don't redeem the code and you can start naked and deprived.
Heh, good. Just seems like a terrible way to play the game and very close to cheating.

Navy Bean

I played Demon's some time after already playing Dark. I liked it, but I didn't like it as much. That's just a taste thing, I guess, but I prefered the singular world of Dark over the nexus and levels system of Demon's. Moreover, while the game looks and feels and moves quite similar to Dark, it's noticeably less refined in its presentation, particularly when it comes to animations. This took some getting used to and for me it's always hard taking a step back.

Yeah, it could be rose colored glasses, but I liked the worlds/levels/bosses better in Demon's Souls. On topic, I have purposely avoided any spoilers on bosses as they really are the best part of these games for me - just having that oh shit how the hell am I gonna kill this thing moment is awesome. The Adjudicator and Capra Demon both kicked my ass repeatedly.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Jesus christ they introduced my favorite weapon of all time. Please be viable in PvP or I'm done for. No way I will use anything else.

PSO Stag Cutlery
Jedi Academy Dual Saber

Stefan™;103672172 said:
I know which weapon I'll be using come Friday next week..

FRIDAY NEXT WEEK

FRIDAY

Seems like an eternity

You know what is best?

PC, mods...
LIGHTSABERS

2AdEPT

These changes personally all sound like care bear shit. They don't want players running into more experienced players at all. I could understand the twinking at low levels but if you are past say level 40 that souls level bs should go away. I want to be to invade anyone in my soul level not just other pvp players.
On one hand I'm hearing you don't want to troll noobs, and stick to your 120 range target, but in the next breath you don't want to "divide the community" which would ensure you have access to the weakest? I doubt very much that you will not get enough action with these parameters, and if you and a noob are the only two guys on, you will probably get paired despite these limitations; thats how it appeared to work for me when pickings were sparse in the last two games, I could be wrong. Lets hope there is enough to go around as these parameters will encourage more to play online. The only fear I have is not enough hosts/summons, and scaring people away is all experienced griefers are going to accomplish if parameters like this are ignored. As much as I would like punishing people into my way of thinking, and FROM seems to know where the boundaries for this rest, going overboard and getting killed in cheap or unfair ways likely does not help "the community."
What's the limitation aorund being invaded? In other words, what's to stop someone from just being relentlessly invaded over and over and never able to progress thorugh the game until they unplug the internet cord?
Wiser words - slow clap - (inside joke for the Canadian gaffers)
The game should be tailored/balanced to accommodate all play styles. I think if I wanted to tank and take hits, I should be able to withstand quite a few blows, especially when wearing super heavy physical resistant equipment. I worked and suffered to get that equipment, I should be rewarded, not punished. That just isn't usually the case (again, especially on new game+ cycles) and I find that disappointing and frustrating. The game should offer post game challenges in different ways, not by arbitrarily increasing base values. I want SOME sense of reward/power after my 100+ hour investment and between both games I've never received it.
A part of me agrees 100% and I often want to gain advantage for my efforts by getting "awesome" gear that is going to be better than everyone else....yet rewarding skill of the player, rather than rewarding the person who has grinded or logged the most hours is what separates souls from Skyrim for example. I crafted daggers to get money, money bought me potion ingredients, potions increased my crafting, and I had Dragonbone armour within a few hours of the start of the game, and could basically press x to win with bows on any dragon, all of whom were the same shape and colour and whom had ridiculously small move-sets. Think I killed 7 dragons and did a few thief quests, as that required a different skill, but thats about as far as I made it Skyrim...10-15 hours tops. I still suck at Souls games, even after 2500 hours, but I keep playing as I know I will get better eventually from practice and improved skills.

I am probably going to ask for this for my birthday... Or buy it with whatever birthday money I get.

However I passed on the previous two games due to lack of time and the fact that hard games have never been my thing.

But I do want to give it a fair chance.

Is there any how to dark souls for dummies guides or videos out there?
Lots of good advice already in thread, but dont get discouraged, dont care if you die, embrace death as a learning point, take a break and come back with a new strategy; the only thing that kills a playthrough is the definition of insanity. You can get huge help from summons like myself, who love helping new players who would otherwise quit, but my advice is to forgo help from people like me and the wikis as much as possible. This game rewards like no other if you keep at it and succeed on your own. That said if you feel like a rage quit, summon some help, learn how the summon deals with stuff, and carry on. The first thing I noticed when I needed help to beat bosses was that the summon would brazenly go right up to the face of the enemy and either block or dodge their attacks...bosses often have tells that will indicated what is coming. Learn these and roll to victory achieved!

Lame as hell that Amazon Canada is expecting to have my copy delivered March 19th at the earliest...is it because I preordered late, or does Amazon Canada just suck like that?

Edit: Oh yeah, I chose standard shipping... Oh well :'(
change up that shipping option and send an e-mail saying you want this day one as it is a new release you can get elsewhere? BTW congrats on your hockey win agaisnt us Americans and your well deserved ice hockey gold medal.
I AM Canadian.
I draw stupid comics about me and my friends in MS Paint. It's not my best but I've come to like this style.

NIce!

On one hand I'm hearing you don't want to troll noobs, and stick to your 120 range target, but in the next breath you don't want to "divide the community" which would ensure you have access to the weakest? I doubt very much that you will not get enough action with these parameters, and if you and a noob are the only two guys on, you will probably get paired despite these limitations; thats how it appeared to work for me when pickings were sparse in the last two games, I could be wrong. Lets hope there is enough to go around as these parameters will encourage more to play online. The only fear I have is not enough hosts/summons, and scaring people away is all experienced griefers are going to accomplish if parameters like this are ignored. As much as I would like punishing people into my way of thinking, and FROM seems to know where the boundaries for this rest, going overboard and getting killed in cheap or unfair ways likely does not help "the community."

Yeah it was mostly reactionary. It was just a change I wasn't prepared for that scared me a bit.

Even with the red sign soapstone? That will just hurt legit PvP, if true.

I think The Red Sign Soapstone is free from all these things made to punish invaders. I hope Red Soap Stones can be visible by people even after they defeat an area boss. I hated having to let certain bosses live just so I could get pvp in.

Also nobody else thinks they are going a bit overboard? Invaders have less health, can trigger a guardian to help them fight off invaders and now can get a health penalty for losing?

Jobbs

Banned
I think The Red Sign Soapstone is free from all these things made to punish invaders. I hope Red Soap Stones can be visible by people even after they defeat an area boss. I hated having to let certain bosses live just so I could get pvp in.

Also nobody else thinks they are going a bit overboard? Invaders have less health, can trigger a guardian to help them fight off invaders and now can get a health penalty for losing?

No. If you have a game where you can be invaded at any time by hostile players when you're playing single player, you damn well better have restrictions in place to keep life reasonable for people who are just trying to play the game, otherwise those people will unplug their cords and you'll definitely only be able to invade other pvpers.

I don't think From's vision of the game is that twinked out PVP experts should be ganking the shit out of hapless victims who stand absolutely no chance of fighting back. I don't really think that's what they want at all. And why would they? What fun is that?

This is first and foremost a single player experience with a lot of PVE. For most people, that is. They can't sacrifice all of this just to entertain a relatively niche group of gankers and griefers.

I haven't read his work, but some GIS pics I've seen look nice, and I'd love seeing a non-Western take on cyberpunk.

600full-tsutomu-nihei.jpg
A BLAME game with oppressive atmosphere, survival aspects (like limited resources) and high difficulty would be amazing. Especially if the environments had that dirty look from the old Silent Hills to 'em.

You should read the manga if you like the artwork.

Shinjica

No. If you have a game where you can be invaded at any time by hostile players when you're playing single player, you damn well better have restrictions in place to keep life reasonable for people who are just trying to play the game, otherwise those people will unplug their cords and you'll definitely only be able to invade other pvpers.

I don't think From's vision of the game is that twinked out PVP experts should be ganking the shit out of hapless victims who stand absolutely no chance of fighting back. I don't really think that's what they want at all. And why would they? What fun is that?

This is first and foremost a single player experience with a lot of PVE. For most people, that is. They can't sacrifice all of this just to entertain a relatively niche group of gankers and griefers.

YOu're right about that but for my opinion the idea FROm implemented in this game, the total souls counter, will really make difficult to find people for invasion.

phierce

So who else is going with Swordsman? I've been set on dual wielding since it was announced. Not to mention that longcoat. So fine.
I'm about 90% sure I'm going Swordsman, but that other 10% is weighing heavy. Least I have a few more days to figure it out.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm about 90% sure I'm going Swordsman, but that other 10% is weighing heavy. Least I have a few more days to figure it out.

If it helps you, Swordsman has high caster stats compared to other non-sorc non-cleric classes. It and deprived have the highest of any, with 18 combined points each.

In the case of the swordsman, those points are slanted towards INT. So if you plan to dabble in INT at some point, swordsman is a fine choice. If you know you aren't, then it's sub-optimal.

This 1000x. I also hope that this and the health loss encourage more sign placement for duels. The near constant invasions at the Oolacile Township bonfire are annoying. Sucks that those people can't see a sign that has nothing to do with the boss, but its impossible refuel estus/magic without reloading or leaving the area. Then you have spent a half an hour finding a populated server again, or whatever the game does when you drop a sign/ use an orb.

I think all the restrictions are fine for maybe the first 40 levels then after that just leave it as it was. I like the Way of the Blue Guild idea but dislike the fact that they still reduce the invaders health even if it's a two one one. This is gonna make invaders be a lot more devious and use monsters more than before.

I'm fine with the Way of the Blue, the health reduction if you lose an invasion etc. Not crazy about the soul level skill group thing unless it only matches you with those people first then matches you with others if there isn't a better match.

"Ganking" was only ever an issue in the first couple dozen of levels.

Also anyone know if those Dual bladed weapons will be strength or dex based?

Jobbs

Banned
I think all the restrictions are fine for maybe the first 40 levels then after that just leave it as it was. I like the Way of the Blue Guild idea but dislike the fact that they still reduce the invaders health even if it's a two one one. This is gonna make invaders be a lot more devious and use monsters more than before.

I'm fine with the Way of the Blue, the health reduction if you lose an invasion etc. Not crazy about the soul level skill group thing unless it only matches you with those people first then matches you with others if there isn't a better match.

"Ganking" was only ever an issue in the first couple dozen of levels.

With what you propose, people will have a balanced game until they hit level 40, at which piont every few steps some tweaked out god will appear in their game and kill them. Trust me, for the average person just wanting to play the game, this only has to happen a few times before they unplug. Maybe even once. You can't just "not go human" to avoid invasions this time. This is the choice From made, so the restrictions are required.

In your scenario everyone over 40 would be unplugged or pvpers.

With what you propose, people will have a balanced game until they hit level 40, at which piont every few steps some tweaked out god will appear in their game and kill them. Trust me, for the average person just wanting to play the game, this only has to happen a few times before they unplug. Maybe even once. You can't just "not go human" to avoid invasions this time. This is the choice From made, so the restrictions are required.

I keep forgetting people can be invaded while hollow now. Yeah I guess this is the balance that needs to be made.

To those complaining about the restrictions on the invasion aspect of PVP, are they forgetting that the Blue Sentinels and the Bloods will have their own PVP arenas where they can duel to their hearts content?

To those complaining about the restrictions on the invasion aspect of PVP, are they forgetting that the Blue Sentinels and the Bloods will have their own PVP arenas where they can duel to their hearts content?

I hope they are done well and stay active. When I played on 360 they arena wasn't out yet. Buy the time I built my PC and jumped on there it was completely dead and I never found a single match.

Shinjica

Why not simply keep half the system implemented in Dark Souls 2?

I mean only that you fist invade people who invade the most, then people in human form and at least people in hollow form.

A balanced system that let everyone happy. Plus now even armor have stats restriction so the possibility of low gank/grief are near 0

Invasion are fun because you try to kill the host. With my mage i get inisible until he get past me and then attack. With arena you cannot do funny thing.

Ellite25

So who else is going with Swordsman? I've been set on dual wielding since it was announced. Not to mention that longcoat. So fine.

I think I'm going to go Swordsman. In DeS and DaS I was always the lumbering guy with heavy armor. I wanna switch it up and go more nimble this time. Dual wielding with no shield will force me to do that. Should be a fun change of pace and a new challenge.

I hope they are done well and stay active. When I played on 360 they arena wasn't out yet. Buy the time I built my PC and jumped on there it was completely dead and I never found a single match.

The DS1 arena was dead because the P2P connection sucked and they picked a 150 soul level as the ideal level when everyone was already specced to 120.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom