• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit.

Just checked Amazon and noticed I accidentally used my old shipping address. Glad I caught that or I would've been a salty bastard come Tuesday with my knight statue 1000 miles away.

KNnbSfB.gif

Jobbs

Banned
To people who have it on ps3: Does the dualshock 4 work with it?

Also: Does anyone know what time this'll come available on the PSN store? I'm liable to double dip on PS3 alone if it went up early enough...

ironcreed

Banned
So I've been playing since yesterday and I put in about 10 hours. Here's my two cents regarding the everlasting casul talk:

Warping doesn't really detract from the world. There are definitely some areas that are straight forward (in terms of progression, not exploration), but the overall design is still intricate and interconnected. Hell, I probably spent over an hour exploring one certain area and I'm sure I still missed tons of stuff over there.
It seems like the game is also a lot less linear than DkS1. You constantly stumble over new branching paths and areas.

I found two respec items, but I didn't use them yet. I'm not entirely sure, but I think you lose all souls if you use it on the spot. There's definitely some sort of penalty unless you bring the item to a specific NPC or location.

Life gems are fairly rare drops, but you can buy the smallest life gem from a vendor in unlimited supplies, just like it was the case with Patches in Demon's Souls. Personally, I just use Estus and the stuff I find in the world and healing feels a lot more limited than in previous games.

And yes, it's still hard ;)

Sounds good. Demon's and Dark Souls have their little intricacies that make them both different in their own ways and it sounds like it will be much the same here. Just a fine tuning and building on the system with some new little perks.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Lighting a bonfire looks beautiful

I can't wait til we have a high quality gif of that... It's now one of my favorite visual effects. I wish there was a bonfire we could light infinitely!

Btw the original lighting is sill there in certain areas. Lighting up dark areas with a torch still looks amazing.

Servbot24

Banned

Also: Does anyone know what time this'll come available on the PSN store? I'm liable to double dip on PS3 alone if it went up early enough...

That reminds me Ive been meaning to pick up a PS4 controller. Will definitely do so Tuesday if it works.

slash3584

AFAIK it'll become available at 12:01 PST

-Ryn

Banned
Anyone here going to a midnight release for this game? The Gamestop around here isn't doing one but I doubt that is universal.

gdt

Did you email Amazon support? They fixed it for me. I've heard people have had success chatting with support as well.

Ehh just cancelled it. Its really strange and never happened to me before. I don't care about steelbooks or anything like that so its no biggie. I'll just run out Tuesday morning after the gym and get it :).

Anyone here going to a midnight release for this game? The Gamestop around here isn't doing one but I doubt that is universal.

I hope stores have midnight launches for Dark souls II because i have been hearing stores will only be open for Titanfall.

slash3584

If that's actually true (I've heard conflicting reports about when things go up on PSN) I'll be up at 3am EST buying the fuckin thing.

Well it'll be 8:00am over here and I'll probably be on my way to work. I hope the PS+ auto download thing works so when I come home I can play without waiting.

Voror

Well, getting this Tuesday. Never played the first game so I hope I'll be alright in terms of understanding things.

Raide

Well, getting this Tuesday. Never played the first game so I hope I'll be alright in terms of understanding things.

Treat every room with caution. Also, just because you have played for a few hours, don't let your guard down and sprint through previous room. :D

-Ryn

Banned

From what I've heard the story is fairly self contained. Aside from some nods and fanservice there shouldn't be anything you'll be missing.
I might be wrong though. Just going off of other posts.

Jobbs

Banned

I imagine some of the advice in this classic image applies to DS2 as well:

Dark+Souls+tips+for+beginners.+i+ve+found+this+pic+some_7ce406_4772421.jpg

BTW, I was looking at this just now, and it says poise can get you killed? when does that ever happen?

derwalde

Oh yeah, I see what you mean. You're probably going to end up on the US side, if you purchase the game in the US store. I guess we'll have to wait and see, if FROM's server are good enough for cross region play.

you gave me the answer i didnt want to hear ;-(. well i dont know anymore. i dont want to wait till friday but furthermore i dont want to have laggy online gameplay...

Voror

prepare to die

Treat every room with caution. Also, just because you have played for a few hours, don't let your guard down and sprint through previous room. :D

From what I've heard the story is fairly self contained. Aside from some nods and fanservice there shouldn't be anything you'll be missing.
I might be wrong though. Just going off of other posts.

The game is supposed to be easier to pick up as ds1.

I imagine most of the advice in this classic image applies to DS2 as well:

Haha, thank you I'll keep all this in mind. The one thing I did always hear was not to rush forward with encounters but to be methodical on approaching them rather than mashing buttons, which is reflected a bit in that image.

Nintyb

Banned

You'll be fine. Just try not to get too frustrated and take your time exploring areas. It will take a minute to get adjusted to the sometimes unforgiving difficulty but it's very rewarding once you do.

Steez

you gave me the answer i didnt want to hear ;-(. well i dont know anymore. i dont want to wait till friday but furthermore i dont want to have laggy online gameplay...

I live in Germany and own the Chinese version of Demon's Souls (which means that I'm restricted to Asian servers) and lag was never a big issue.

Believe!

ironcreed

Banned
The Ken guy who was streaming the 360 version is now doing a PS3 run. The framerate is noticeably worse and he even mentioned it himself. The 360 version looked like butter for the most part. Oh well, I guess it will have to do.

UnrealEck

I think we should ask Namco to put together a small gameplay video of the PC version. I'm sure everyone wants to see how it looks.

Ghazi

Do you guys think the Black Armor Edition will stay pre-order only or will be floating around a while after launch like most LE games?

I have a pre-order down for it, but I'm iffy about which platform to pick right now on consoles, alonside various worries about the game from the downgrades and stuff. So, at this point, I kinda want to wait to hear how it is and read the DF analysis.

ZeroRay

So bad framerate or horrendous tearing? Damn FROM.

Demon's Souls somehow still manages to be their most polished game (after 9 patches).

ironcreed

Banned
Do you guys think the Black Armor Edition will stay pre-order only or will be floating around a while after launch like most LE games?

I have a pre-order down for it, but I'm iffy about which platform to pick right now on consoles, alonside various worries about the game from the downgrades and stuff. So, at this point, I kinda want to wait to hear how it is and read the DF analysis.

I'll probably end up double dipping on the 360 version before it's over. The PS3 version looks fine, but it seems to run noticeably better on the 360 based on what I'm watching. I'll wait to see for myself after I get it on PS3.

Brohan

The Ken guy who was streaming the 360 version is now doing a PS3 run. The framerate is noticeably worse and he even mentioned it himself. The 360 version looked like butter for the most part. Oh well, I guess it will have to do.

Guess it's the same story as Dragons Dogma then.. Better framerate on the 360 but awful tearing, worse framerate on ps3 but no tearing.

Would choose the ps3 version because i hate tearing more than i do framerate dips.

eot

Banned
I imagine some of the advice in this classic image applies to DS2 as well:

BTW, I was looking at this just now, and it says poise can get you killed? when does that ever happen?

Keeps you out of stun animations which have iframes, so you can potentially get hit more.

ironcreed

Banned
Guess it's the same story as Dragons Dogma then.. Better framerate on the 360 but awful tearing, worse framerate on ps3 but no tearing.

Would choose the ps3 version i hate tearing more than i do framerate dips.

The tearing is not too bad. It only happens on occasion from what I have seen and it actually kind of looks a bit sharper on the 360 as well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

You can eat attacks with high-poise with no reaction from you. However, just because you're able to eat attacks from high-poise DOESN'T mean you aren't damaged from the attack.

-Ryn

Banned

I got the CE for the 360 since I like the controller and most of my friends are on there. I don't have a PC at the moment otherwise I would definitely be double dipping.
I don't think the Black Armor Edition will stay preorder only though. They'll probably have left overs for a while.

Brohan

The tearing is not too bad. It only happens on occasion from what I have seen and it actually kind of looks a bit sharper on the 360 as well.

Guess everyone experiences it in a different way, i've heard from multiple people that the tearing on the 360 version is horrible, as for the resolution i have no idea but I doubt it would be a substantial difference.

ironcreed

Banned
Guess everyone experiences it in a different way, ive heard from multiple people that the tearing on the 360 version is horrible, as for resolution i have no idea but I doubt it would be a substantiële difference.

I suppose it's harder to judge from a stream, but it looks great to me. I did notice some tearing for sure, though.

Ghazi

I'll probably end up double dipping on the 360 version before it's over. The PS3 version looks fine, but it seems to run noticeably better on the 360 based on what I'm watching. I'll wait to see for myself after I get it on PS3.

I got the CE for the 360 since I like the controller and most of my friends are on there. I don't have a PC at the moment otherwise I would definitely be double dipping.
I don't think the Black Armor Edition will stay preorder only though. They'll probably have left overs for a while.
I was just hoping it wouldn't run terribly, performance wise. Sounds like it does run well though. Most of my friends are on the 360 so that's my first choice. I'll probably stick with my pre-order, thanks guys!

Brohan

I suppose it's harder to judge from a stream, but it looks great to me. I did notice some tearing for sure, though.

It's pretty hard to make any decent conclusions from streams, but if i play a game long enough i kind of get used to sub par framerates but i'll always notice tearing. That's just me personally though, someone else might experience it the other way around.

Looking back at Dark Souls on ps3 though, which didn't exactly have good or stable framerates either, i got used to it to the point i didn't really notice it anymore (except for Blight town obviously lol).

Oh man.
6uHFm.png

I was able to deal with it in Dks. But as long as there is no btown like frame rates I'll be fine, I guess.
Will just 2ble dip for the next gen versions. Pretty sure it's gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom