• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a sad fact, but there's just too much disdain for the game from the people who either A)Watched the streams, B) Played it. I haven't seen this much doom and gloom personally, for a title like this in a really, really long time. Everywhere I go anymore, it's just negative comment on top of negative comment...And I have to go back and search for it, but pretty sure I saw a chat screenshot of IGN editors (on Twitter), where one of them said that DSII was like Robocop 2014.

The bigger shame for me, is that I am in absolutely love with everything I've seen from the game. But yeah. I am convinced that this will go down as a very disappointing game for most people.

What disdain? /v/ hates everything, including Dark Souls. Most people have been happy with the game, streamers enjoyed it, people all enjoyed it. Who is NOT enjoying it?

ironcreed

Banned
What disdain? /v/ hates everything, including Dark Souls. Most people have been happy with the game, streamers enjoyed it, people all enjoyed it. Who is NOT enjoying it?

Seriously. Other than some griping about the lighting, I have not seen any disdain. Most who even have it seem to be enjoying a pure Souls experience.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
A few of those, yes. What's the point of the elevator that leads from the Abyss (near where you rescue
Sif
) to the forest? I've never used it, ever.

The path from Oolacile Township bonfire to Manus via the lift is the quickest way with the least enemy encounters.

How does warping negate that...?

Launch is near. Very excited. I hope the music is good. I wanted the Black Armored Edition for the soundtrack more than anything else.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Reddit, GameFAQs, hell the spoiler thread here. I mean, I am in utter love with everything I saw from the game. This is not the spoiler thread, so I can't say much but I'll say that the negavity on the stream gameplay is everywhere. The majority opinion from what I've seen, is that the game is a dud and that FROM phoned it in.

Note that this isn't my opinion. I just got the call from my gamestore about my Black Armored edition and I can't wait for it. The areas, and bosses I have seen have exceeded my wildest expectations. I was in utter awe and couldn't tear my eyes away from the stream. But all I read everywhere is how boring it looks, how dull the graphics are, how unimaginative the bosses are, etc. List goes on and on and on.

The fact is, people are really, really down on the game. Didn't one of our mods post an opinion from a friend of his/her about how vapid and awful the game was? This is going to be an extremely divisive game. I fear that the people who will enjoy it, will be the minority.

InFamy

Neo Member
Man the wait for this game is going to be unbearable. I was going to pre-order it yesterday but for the first time in the 8 years I lived in this crappy neighborhood I got robbed on my way to bus stop. Ah well my birthday is pretty soon so it won't be that far off haha

Man the wait for this game is going to be unbearable. I was going to pre-order it yesterday but for the first time in the 8 years I got robbed on my way to bus stop. Ah well my birthday is pretty soon so it won't be that far off haha.

That's terrible. :(

Deitus

Reddit, GameFAQs, hell the spoiler thread here. I mean, I am in utter love with everything I saw from the game. This is not the spoiler thread, so I can't say much but I'll say that the negavity on the stream gameplay is everywhere. The majority opinion from what I've seen, is that the game is a dud and that FROM phoned it in.

Note that this isn't my opinion. I just got the call from my gamestore about my Black Armored edition and I can't wait for it. The areas, and bosses I have seen have exceeded my wildest expectations. I was in utter awe and couldn't tear my eyes away from the stream. But all I read everywhere is how boring it looks, how dull the graphics are, how unimaginative the bosses are, etc. List goes on and on and on.

The fact is, people are really, really down on the game. Didn't one of our mods post an opinion from a friend of his/her about how vapid and awful the game was?

I don't think it's anywhere near the majority of people. I think the people complaining about the game happen to just be more vocal.

It's a bit soon to be determining public opinion on a game that only a relative few have even played. We'll have a better picture when the game comes out and more people can actually judge it for themselves.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
That's bad because...? That was arguably
the best boss battle of the generation!
I wouldn't say that original statement is entirely accurate in the first place. They may have tried, but if they did then they missed what made the Artorias fight good. What they added were more
humanoid bosses, but none have the tension and well thought out moveset that Artorias has.

Further descriptive spoilers:
many have movesets you would expect a regular mob to have (like a black knight for instance) + maybe an additional gimmick

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I don't think it's anywhere near the majority of people. I think the people complaining about the game happen to just be more vocal.

It's a bit soon to be determining public opinion on a game that only a relative few have even played. We'll have a better picture when the game comes out and more people can actually judge it for themselves.

I need to find it again, but I saw someone on Twitter post a DOTA2 chat with IGN editors with one of them saying something like Dark Souls 2= Robocop 2014. I really don't think it's a vocal minority. I saw a Kotaku editor tweet another reviewer playing DSII about how he should just play Titanfall instead. Pretty sure the game is going to get savaged in reviews.

InFamy

Neo Member
That's terrible. :(

Yeah they got my phone too and told me to stay away from the projects :/. My mother said I should file a police report and I might get my money back. But man that empty feeling I felt when it first happened must be what it feels like when a hollow lose souls lol.

Zeliard

I wouldn't say that original statement is entirely accurate in the first place. They may have tried, but if they did then they missed what made the Artorias fight good. What they added were more
humanoid bosses, but none have the tension and well thought out moveset that Artorias has.

many have movesets you would expect a regular mob to have (like a black knight for instance) + maybe an additional gimmick

:(

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Have you played it?

Deitus

I need to find it again, but I saw someone on Twitter post a DOTA2 chat with IGN editors with one of them saying something like Dark Souls 2= Robocop 2014. I really don't think it's a vocal minority.

Well, IGN editors are by definition a vocal minority. But beyond that, I don't put a lot of stock in their opinions.

Fhtagn

I need to find it again, but I saw someone on Twitter post a DOTA2 chat with IGN editors with one of them saying something like Dark Souls 2= Robocop 2014. I really don't think it's a vocal minority.

I have seen nothing but the opposite from people I trust. IGN gave Godhand a 3.0 so...

I need to find it again, but I saw someone on Twitter post a DOTA2 chat with IGN editors with one of them saying something like Dark Souls 2= Robocop 2014. I really don't think it's a vocal minority. I saw a Kotaku editor tweet another reviewer playing DSII about how he should just play Titanfall instead. Pretty sure the game is going to get savaged in reviews.

if IGN and Kotaku don't like it that only further proves it's greatness.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

lol game journalists

So swordsman is not just a dual wield class right? I assume they will be able to use some of the best swords in the game.

What would be the best battlemage class?

FROM should have just put the damn game on PS4/XBO. I'm sick of worrying about performance issues in their console games. I'll still love it, just kind of a wet towel.

FROM should have just put the damn game on PS4/XBO. I'm sick of worrying about performance issues in their console games. I'll still love it, just kind of a wet towel.

a majority of the souls fanbase (me atleast :D ) would not be able to play it at this point and from would not make as much money

krakov

The path from Oolacile Township bonfire to Manus via the lift is the quickest way with the least enemy encounters.

How does warping negate that...?

Running from the bonfire is faster and there are pretty much zero encounters either way. We were discussing the importance of shortcuts with warping enabled. This one I'd say is not very important, or even completely useless.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So swordsman is not just a dual wield class right? I assume they will be able to use some of the best swords in the game.

I find leveling magic-related attributes to be really boring/annoying... so personally I would begin with the class most pre-spec'd for casting and then level myself into the melee and armor.

a majority of the souls fanbase (me atleast :D ) would not be able to play it at this point and from would not make as much money

Six million PS4's out there and hardly anything to play
(don't ban me, I'm just saying)
they could have dropped it on us right now in the post-launch drought and probably cleaned up.

The fact is, people are really, really down on the game. Didn't one of our mods post an opinion from a friend of his/her about how vapid and awful the game was? This is going to be an extremely divisive game. I fear that the people who will enjoy it, will be the minority.

I guess we'e seeing different sides. Reddit is in full circle jerk mode about how amazing the game is, /v/ is /v/, and gamefaqs is gamefaqs and either blind priase or blind hate.

Facism

Watching 2 people fuck isn't as good as being part of the fuck. Once you get balls-deep into dark souls 2 you'll be fighting to keep your spurts of excitement from gushing out into this thread.

I hope :) lol

RK9039

No, it just starts of with two weapons to dual wield. If you want you can use a shield with a Swordsman. And no, weapons don't have a class requirement. As long as you meet the stat requirement, you can use those weapons.

Typically people like going with Dex/Intelligence, although that was because of the casting speed which came with Dex (but that is no longer the case in DkS2). You can pretty much start off with any class to make your battlemage, but the Sorcerer is the easiest choice. I would personally go with Warrior ---> Strength+Int.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So Dark Souls 2 is pulling a Lords of Shadows 2?
KuGsj.gif

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Running from the bonfire is faster and there are pretty much zero encounters either way. We were discussing the importance of shortcuts with warping enabled. This one I'd say is not very important, or even completely useless.

I have to disagree. Having just been there not two hours ago, I can assure you that the path I mentioned is quicker and has less encounters than going from the Dungeon Bonfire.

sixghost

The classes aren't so much actual classes, they just give you a starting point for stats and some basic gear that fits the class style. Any class can become a dual wielding character and any class can become a wizard.

Deitus

Any class can use the best swords in the game. Starting class doesn't matter as much as you might think.

The two things you need to consider when picking a class:

1) Starting equipment. Pick a class that has equipment you need early on, to make the early parts of the game easier. Eventually, you get get all sorts of equipment for all types of playstyles. But early on, you will have little more than your starting equipment. If your playstyle requires weapons with long reach, but you only have a dagger, you might be in for a rough time.

2) Wasted stats. If you plan on playing purely in melee, a class that has a lot of points in magic is not going to be the best choice. Similarly, if you don't need a lot of STR or DEX, you probably would avoid the class with a lot of points in these.

As for your question about Battlemage, any class could probably do it, but I would guess Swordsman and Sorcerer would be your best choices. Swordsman has decent starting intelligence, and is already equipped for sword combat. But I'm not sure how long it takes before you gain access to spellcasting. Sorcerer on the other hand has the ability to cast spells right off the bat, but his only melee weapon is a dagger I believe. It probably won't take too long to find a workable short sword at least.

oroboros

I'm not going to get into another argument about it, but I think I will always feel that game design which forces you to repeat something you've already proven you know how to do is bad game design.

Haha, all Super Mario Bros games are bad game design.

Ellite25

if IGN and Kotaku don't like it that only further proves it's greatness.
Dark Souls is a divisive game in general. People that love it really love it and those that don't really don't like it. There are people at IGN that love the series and there are people at IGN that I know hate Dark Souls (probably the majority) but I'm sure they arent touching this game. Hopefully the reviews will be coming from the people that actually enjoy the games.

Odrion

Banned

Hmm, maybe I should cancel my preorder.

sixghost

Dark Souls is a divisive game in general. People that love it really love it and those that do t really don't like it. There are people at IGN that I know hate Dark Souls (probably the majority) but I'm sure they arent touching this game. Hopefully the reviews will be coming from the people that actually enjoy the games.

I think there are going to be more negative reactions than Demon's or Dark Souls because neither of those games were as high profile as Dark Souls 2. There's going to be more people giving the game a shot that ignored the first two games.

Odrion

Banned
I think when journalists compare the game to Robocop 2014, that comparison is coming from people who loved the two other soul games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom