• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJRB

Gold Member
I suppose it's harder to judge from a stream, but it looks great to me. I did notice some tearing for sure, though.

You can't really judge tearing [or framerate for that matter] from a livestream, my friend. Even if Kenny is streaming in full 1080p 60fps and max bitrate it's still a matter of connection and stuff.

JeTmAn81

Anyone know if this is a regular thing?

Oh man I hope it is. The pointless slog through the same enemies just to get a chance to try the boss again was my #1 complaint about the first game. It's the reason I never beat Gwyn. I just couldn't stomach another three minute run past those knights only to get two-shotted once again.

Jobbs

Banned
Oh man I hope it is. The pointless slog through the same enemies just to get a chance to try the boss again was my #1 complaint about the first game. It's the reason I never beat Gwyn. I just couldn't stomach another three minute run past those knights only to get two-shotted once again.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I disagree. I don't think a game should be designed around convenience in every way. Losing to the boss should have some consequence. You should have to walk back, thinking about hwat you did and what you'll do next time.

JeTmAn81

Maybe I'm crazy, but I disagree. I don't think a game should be designed around convenience in every way. Losing to the boss should have some consequence. You should have to walk back, thinking about hwat you did and what you'll do next time.

I'm not going to get into another argument about it, but I think I will always feel that game design which forces you to repeat something you've already proven you know how to do is bad game design.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It's a sad fact, but there's just too much disdain for the game from the people who either A)Watched the streams, B) Played it. I haven't seen this much doom and gloom personally, for a title like this in a really, really long time. Everywhere I go anymore, it's just negative comment on top of negative comment...And I have to go back and search for it, but pretty sure I saw a chat screenshot of IGN editors (on Twitter), where one of them said that DSII was like Robocop 2014.

The bigger shame for me, is that I am in absolutely love with everything I've seen from the game. But yeah. I am convinced that this will go down as a very disappointing game for most people.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Think of AotA. You had have The Lord Vessel to do the DLC, right? Did the ability to warp negate the need for any of the shortcuts?
A few of those, yes. What's the point of the elevator that leads from the Abyss (near where you rescue
Sif
) to the forest? I've never used it, ever. Of course, the elevator inside the township is very useful, and the one in the royal woods leading directly to Artorias's boss room is also essential, so I do agree shortcuts can be useful, for boss runs at least.

Also Ken hacked his Ps3 for unlimited souls so i would think that would screw with the games performance.
WTF... why

ironcreed

Banned
You can't really judge tearing [or framerate for that matter] from a livestream, my friend. Even if Kenny is streaming in full 1080p 60fps and max bitrate it's still a matter of connection and stuff.

Yeah, I have taken that into account. I'm just saying that it seemed to run smoother on the 360. The guy streaming even said it himself. But it looks fine and is nothing like Blight Town. I dealt with that, so this will not be a problem.

I'm not going to get into another argument about it, but I think I will always feel that game design which forces you to repeat something you've already proven you know how to do is bad game design.
But what if they are asking you to beat the level AND the boss, how have you proven yourself? You don't set the goal posts, the devs do.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
If that's actually true (I've heard conflicting reports about when things go up on PSN) I'll be up at 3am EST buying the fuckin thing.

NEVER FORGET
skidsx5upyd5vsc5.gif

eot

Banned
A few of those, yes. What's the point of the elevator that leads from the Abyss (near where you rescue
Sif
) to the forest? I've never used it, ever. Of course, the elevator inside the township is very useful, and the one in the royal woods leading directly to Artorias's boss room is also essential, so I do agree shortcuts can be useful, for boss runs at least.

I always use that elevator, it means you don't get shot in the back by the bloathead mage when you try to get to Manus. If you're trying to set up RTSR he's especially annoying.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
NEVER FORGET
skidsx5upyd5vsc5.gif
Hahahaha, never forget indeed. Stayed up all night for this shit...

I always use that elevator, it means you don't get shot in the back by the bloathead mage when you try to get to Manus. If you're trying to set up RTSR he's especially annoying.
RTSR?
Ah well, I just drop down to where
Alvina
appeared and took out that bloathead mage from behind. Seems much faster than your method. :p

Sign me up for this too. I could get stuck on a boss for an hour and I'd probably still keep trying, but if I have to jump through hoops and loops every time I fail, it gets tedious and I feel like quitting.

That said, with Dark Souls, I summoned Phantoms for help after the second try on most boss fights. :D

Randam

I'm on mobile and it automatically shows a pic of the video, i now know the name of the boss.. While that isn't much of a spoiler I'd still like to be able to avoid such things in here.

okay, that sucks.
sry.

I saw it on an other forum and just had to watch this shitty boss fight.
I want to avoid spoilers myself.

and headshaking at all those guys, who want a bonfire in front of boss fog-gates..

Since i haven't watched streams i can't tell you for sure, but pepole keep saying that the game feels a lot easier compared to the previous ones and (spoiler about Lordvessel)
you can respec at least 3 times

Common sense dictates that each successive sequel will get easier and easier the more accustomed you are to the formula. Whether the game is easy or hard is an opinion I could only accept from someone new to the series who hasn't been playing Dark Souls for weeks leading up to this. If a Dark Souls vet tells me "this shit's easy", well, no shit.

Ultrabum

I'm on mobile and it automatically shows a pic of the video, i now know the name of the boss.. While that isn't much of a spoiler I'd still like to be able to avoid such things in here.

Also on mobile, same thing happened.

:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

ironcreed

Banned
I'm thinking it's mainly a stream thing. I'm checking 360 footage and PS3 footage and the framerate seems pretty consistent between the two versions. The guy did say it was smoother on the 360, though. Take that as you will, but I think I'll be more than fine with it on PS3.

MoxManiac

So excited for tuesday. I haven't really read or looked at dark souls 2 stuff much, and i didn't get to play in the beta, so it will be a fresh experience going in.

Brohan

RandamHow704287 said:
okay, that sucks.
sry.

I saw it on an other forum and just had to watch this shitty boss fight.
I want to avoid spoilers myself.

and headshaking at all those guys, who want a bonfire in front of boss fog-gates..

No problem :).

And Yeah..I don't really understand why people would want a bonfire right before a Boss fight.. However there was a bonfire right before the first boss in the Dark Souls DLC aswell, so it's not a first.

Ferr986

No problem :).

And Yeah..I don't really understand why people would want a bonfire right before a Boss fight.. However there was a bonfire right before the first boss in the Dark Souls DLC aswell, so it's not a first.

Also right before the Centipede Demon.

I'm watching ENB's lore videos on youtube all day in order to get ready. I had no idea how much story was in DS1. It's like I played the whole game half asleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom