• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

Thanks! Yeah you can make some hefty builds if you're not casting. My current build has the following stats:

SL 150 Bandit
51 VIG
51 END
13 VIT
2 ATN
16 STR
15 DEX
40 ADP
1 INT
14 FTH

Base stats required to use my weapons (Drakekeeper's Sword, Great Scythe and Sea Bow) and 14 faith to use a spiced down Resonant Weapon. Very powerful with very little investment in the usual offensive stats. Having heaps of HP, stamina and agility is great in all situations.

Do you go super light with that VIT or so heavy it doesn't matter? I wouldn't need this much ADP though (22 is fine), so I can use it to pump my VIT if I want and still keep high END.

That made me really excited to try new things, can't wait to get home!

Though the excitement definitely goes away a little when I remember that this is only interesting and fun because I'm making it so, Soul Memory makes thinking about builds under a certain level cap pointless.

I hope they fix this shit.

HoosTrax

So here's a strange one.

Everytime someone connects to my game co-op or pvp, whatever. My spotify volume drops to 15% in the default windows mixer. Anyone else get this issue?
1) Go into the Windows volume mixer. (Or Sound section of Control Panel)
2) Go to the last tab "Communications".
3) For "When Windows detects communications activity:", toggle it to "Do Nothing"

Dark Souls 2 doesn't use built-in VOIP, but the Steam client does have it's own VOIP.

Do you go super light with that VIT or so heavy it doesn't matter? I wouldn't need this much ADP though (22 is fine), so I can use it to pump my VIT if I want and still keep high END.

Though the excitement definitely goes away a little when I remember that this is only interesting and fun because I'm making it so, Soul Memory makes thinking about builds under a certain level cap pointless.

I have the Third Dragon Ring and none of my equipment is that heavy. I'm also shooting for ~70% equip load so that gives me a fair amount of room.

Armour is mainly for fashion in my book anyway, currently using this setup:
screenshot_2014_05_06_00_42_14_by_realghostvids-d7h8f4a.jpg

Vengarl's Head
Faraam Chest
Alva Gauntlets
Alva Leggings

A good balance of light/medium and heavy. Looks awesome and the defense is pretty great as well.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So guys, which ENB/WhateverPostProcessing do you recommend? I've seen shots that show sexy glowy lava and the like.

Ferrio

Banned
Great post! I'll definitely do a respec with that in mind then! How much do I need to two hand the Curved Dragon Greatsword (don't care about one handing it at all)? I'll try this along with the Washing Pole and Darkdrift. Can you still use item buffs on raw weapons? If so, I'll probably put all those remaining points into VGR/VIT instead of INT. But I didn't think about reducing the Crystal Magic Weapon requirements, that definitely seems very useful for PVP.

2handed Curved Dragon Greatsword is an amazing weapon, as was all the curved greatswords. You'll need 20 str/17 Dex to two hand it. I had a lightning+5 one, and I'd cast great magic weapon on it (which I reduced to a 10 int requirement).

Byshop

Do I have to beat this guy or can I go somewhere else? He's kicking my ass and I don't know where to get a human effigy.

If you're hollowed, just drop a summon sign near the last giant and help someone else beat him to get your humanity back. The Pursuer is really easy to beat when you have more than one person because those ballista will take off like half his health. Just watch out for friendly fire.

Gbraga

I have the Third Dragon Ring and none of my equipment is that heavy. I'm also shooting for ~70% equip load so that gives me a fair amount of room.

Vengarl's Head
Faraam Chest
Alva Gauntlets
Alva Leggings

A good balance of light/medium and heavy. Looks awesome and the defense is pretty great as well.

You can use all that and still keep a decent roll with that VIT? I guess I really didn't need more than 35 VIT points then, haha.

I choose my equipment based on looks and equip load too, so I should be fine.

Again, thanks a lot, that will make my build a lot more fun. Considering if I should put some points into INT.

You look good, btw :D

Is the requirement for two handing 50%? 75%?

2handed Curved Dragon Greatsword is an amazing weapon, as was all the curved greatswords. You'll need 20 str/17 Dex to two hand it. I had a lightning+5 one, and I'd cast great magic weapon on it (which I reduced to a 10 int requirement).

Thank you! :D

It really is awesome, I love using it, the moveset is a lot of fun!

Does reducing the requirements also reduce the buff?

Byshop

So here's a strange one.

Everytime someone connects to my game co-op or pvp, whatever. My spotify volume drops to 15% in the default windows mixer. Anyone else get this issue?

That may be the Windows setting that's designed to drop the volume of your speakers when you get a VOIP call. You can disable it through "Sound" in the Control Panel under the "Communications" tab.

UrbanRats

How come sometimes the "use" command is grayed out on the white soapstone?
Yes, i am online.
No, i don't have it already down somewhere else.

Usually after i have just being summoned.

ElFly

Do I have to beat this guy or can I go somewhere else? He's kicking my ass and I don't know where to get a human effigy.

Write down a summon sign outside the pursuer boss and you will sooner or later learn to defeat him

Alternatively you can go to heide and eventually reach the same area pursuer is guarding.

Respect

It is amazing how little foresight there was with Soul Memory, and how they couldn't see that it would completely ruin co-op/pvp. I am fine with it in NG, but anything NG+ and beyond should just be SL.

I enjoy the pvp quite a bit in DS2, but now just seeing mostly havel mages with the blue bro invasions, its so boring that after about 30 minutes I just switch it off and go back to DSI or DeS.

Booshka

screenshot_2014_05_06_00_42_14_by_realghostvids-d7h8f4a.jpg

Vengarl's Head
Faraam Chest
Alva Gauntlets
Alva Leggings

In that case, may I suggest lowering END a little to get your equip load to sub 50%. The stamina regen of sub 50% is worth the levels in Vit, more than the extra END in my opinion.

There are other ways you can go from Majula.

The forest of the giants that you went to is only one of the ways to continue on from Majula. The Pursuer is an additional optional boss.

From Majula there's the path to the keep with the statue holding the lever; blocked.
There's a path leading to the contraption and stairwell. I thought the old female merchant sold an item for the contraption but she's gone, so blocked.
I've ran through the forest of Giants again and I don't see any other paths.

Ferrio

Banned
Thank you! :D

It really is awesome, I love using it, the moveset is a lot of fun!

Does reducing the requirements also reduce the buff?

Don't believe so see no reason why it would. Never really payed attention to the numbers though.

2 handing increases your str requirement by 1.5x. So 20x1.5 = 30.

ElFly

How come sometimes the "use" command is grayed out on the white soapstone?
Yes, i am online.
No, i don't have it already down somewhere else.

Usually after i have just being summoned.

You cannot be summoned if you are in the process of being invaded. That also means using the soap.

Also, some areas restrict soap, notably Belfry (mostly cause you will be invaded) and some parts of Pharros, and after a certain boss late game.

Finally, the online on pc has been wonky.

UrbanRats

^^^ Yeah forgot to say i wasn't being invaded of course. ( i waited quite a bit and no invasion messages appeared, plus there were no fog gates blocking me as usual when invaded)

You aren't in a valid area to place the sign down.

Well that can't be, it because it's usually in front of the fog gate for a boss, exactly where i just put it and have been summoned before.
I wonder if there is a cool down or maybe a bug, since it resets when i exit and enter the game.

Seriously, just parry his first attack way back near the fog door, he will be stunned for a few seconds, and then run as fast as you can and fire the ballista into him. Dead in one hit. It's much easier than you would think. Sometimes takes a few tries just because the ballista will miss, but the parry is actually really easy, surprisingly.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I wish Mahou Shoujo Braga-tan would fit the character limit :/

I feel like 50~60 is still fine, but more than 60 already feels weird.

Cool, thanks. I respecced and got my weight to around 55-ish, less when I'm wielding a lighter weapon like the barbed club. Dumped the extra points into attunement and faith to try some miracles :)

AngryMoth

Hmmm think may have run into a bug. Can't find Cale in either of the 2 locations I'm aware of where you can speak to him. Haven't checked on him since he moved to Majula so no idea what happened. Annoying because I need him to complete a late game side quest.

eot

Banned
From Majula there's the path to the keep with the statue holding the lever; blocked.
There's a path leading to the contraption and stairwell. I thought the old female merchant sold an item for the contraption but she's gone, so blocked.

The female merchant in FoFG probably went back to Majula if you talked to her enough times. As for the passage with the contraption, you can still go that way even if you can't activate it. There's a thing you can pull to open the gate at the end of the stairwell.

Gbraga

So I see Katanas are not great for dual wielding.. what weapons would be good candidates for viable dual wielding?

They're actually pretty good, both for PVE and PVP, a single katana is a bit lacking, but the power stance moveset is great.

Vaporak

You don't need to interact with the contraption, there's more to that area than just the contraption.

Compared to Dark Souls, there's just so much I have yet to figure out in this game, which is exciting.

- Like what the heck the
old man in a wheelchair who I keep seeing in random, dark locations actually does

-
What the random Milfs-of-Nito I keep finding (that disappear after interacting with them in a burst of gold light) are for, including the one that was locked up in Drangleic Castle
. I wonder if
the large fire that I can pray to (that presently does nothing) might have a function once I find them all

- How to
interact with the fallen giants that have turned into trees

Hopefully it won't be too hard to figure out on my own.

je_ssi e

I'm getting one-shot by the monsters inside the sewers before
The Lost Sinner
. NG+
Have you tried
baiting them into the elevator pit?
They tend to overshoot their attacks. Though, you have to play ring around the rosie with them for a bit. And, it gets more fun with two of them. Aha.

I usually didn't take any hits from them doing that.

The enemies a little further down are way more scary to me. I so hate running into those.

Edit: Beaten! :p

Stet

Banned
Have you tried
baiting them into the elevator pit?
They tend to overshoot their attacks. Though, you have to play ring around the rosie with them for a bit. And, it gets more fun with two of them. Aha.

I usually didn't take any hits from them doing that.

The enemies a little further down are way more scary to me. I so hate running into those.

Edit: Beaten! :p

Yeah, those little mummies are bullshit. I don't even understand what their attack logically does at a distance.

Gbraga

It is amazing how little foresight there was with Soul Memory, and how they couldn't see that it would completely ruin co-op/pvp. I am fine with it in NG, but anything NG+ and beyond should just be SL.

I enjoy the pvp quite a bit in DS2, but now just seeing mostly havel mages with the blue bro invasions, its so boring that after about 30 minutes I just switch it off and go back to DSI or DeS.

It's really a shame and I honestly hope they change it, the netcode is really good this time for matchmaking, so it sucks that the game systems make PVP uninteresting.

Ancient Dragon
is just stupid, giving up on him.

There's a certain ring that was pretty much made for this fight, I didn't know until I went to the wiki after beating him (I always do this after I beat a boss to see what their soul can produce), but if it's half as good as it sounds, I definitely recommend getting it to fight him. Someone should put Ring required ahead before his room.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. I really have to pay more attention in this game. I didn't know you could fire the ballistas. I thought they only fired by a trap setting off a trap and I totally missed the lever down the stairwell, even though I've been there multiple times.

Grief.exe

Compared to Dark Souls, there's just so much I have yet to figure out in this game, which is exciting.

- Like what the heck the
old man I keep seeing in random, dark locations actually does

He is in a few locations, keep running into him and he will have more respect for you.

Black Gulch, Drangleic Castle, and Shaded Ruins

-
What the random Milfs-of-Nito I keep finding (that disappear after interacting with them in a burst of gold light) are for, including the one that was locked up in Drangleic Castle
. I wonder if
the large fire that I can pray to (that presently does nothing) might have a function once I find them all

One is before the Demon of Song boss and if you look closely before she disappears she is quite ugly. I believe she turns into the Demon of Song.

The other one was trapped by the queen in the castle and she returns to the Shrine.

Have no idea what the large fire is, but seems to be the polar opposite of the Shrine of Winter. Fire vs Dark. Burning Human Statues vs Serpents.

Shrine of Amana was probably constructed by King Vendrick, while the Queen probably constructed the Shrine of Winter. The reasons for this will become obvious later.

Talk to the Milfanito in the house and at the Shrine of Fire after you freed the Milanito in the castle and defeated the Demon of Song.

- How to

That was one of my big questions as I worked my way through the game the first time. Keep in in your mind as you progress, will be a clue later down the line.

je_ssi e

Ancient Dragon
is just stupid, giving up on him.
I had more trouble with
Vendrick.
Which is kind of dumb, because he's pretty slow. But, it was hard for me to get any tells for how many swings he was going to do. So my first few runs.. *splat*

Anyways... I wanted that last giant soul to destroy the shit out of him. The Ancient Dragon
is pretty easy to cheese. The enemies on the way are waaay more trouble imo.

I think he sometimes pulls random bullshit, but I
was able to just sit between his two back legs and swung on his left foot until he went for a stomp, switched to the right foot: repeat. Sometimes he got up to shoot fire between his legs so you move outta the way, then do the first bit again when he settles back down.

He never once got up to fly for me when I did that.
I think I read somewhere you have to do 1000dmg per leg for him not to fly, but I dunno how true that is. It could be true. I was doing at least that.

Zom

Banned
Tried to see what the hype about the monastery scimitar was. Farmed it and tested it. It´s kinda stupid how broken this weapon is. Even parrying spells is easy with that thing.

Oooooh I want that scimitar, sadly I havent even begin with ng+.

He is in a few locations, keep running into him and he will have more respect for you.

Black Gulch, Drangleic Castle, and Shaded Ruins
Looks like I might make a quick return to
Drangleic Castle
, then. I've only found half of the bonfires there, after all.
One is before the Demon of Song boss and if you look closely before she disappears she is quite ugly. I believe she turns into the Demon of Song.

The other one was trapped by the queen in the castle and she returns to the Shrine.

Have no idea what the large fire is, but seems to be the polar opposite of the Shrine of Winter. Fire vs Dark. Burning Human Statues vs Serpents.

Shrine of Amana was probably constructed by King Vendrick, while the Queen probably constructed the Shrine of Winter. The reasons for this will become obvious later.
Ooh, that makes sense. I guess I found all of them, then, so I might go back and speak to all of them and see if they have any new dialogue.
That was one of my big questions as I worked my way through the game the first time. Keep in in your mind as you progress, will be a clue later down the line.
I shan't forget it.

Thanks for the spoiler-free lore explanations. :)

Sid

In NG, I beat him with
4 Souls of a Giant and a Mastodon Halberd +10. Actually, I just kept to his left leg (your right) which he always kind of keeps to the front, so if you walk/push into him from that side, kind of between his legs, I noticed that he'll almost always swing his sword the same way and never even come close to hitting you. I just kept walking into him and hitting after his attack and beat him without a problem, although it's a kind of a long and tedious fight. The annoying thing is that he likes to jump away from you from time to time so you have to readjust.

Anyway, I'm plowing through NG+ much easier than I expected. Beat
Sinner
and
The Rotten
on my first try. Died a bunch of times like an idiot against
Freja
, even managed to kill her while a stray spider jumped from the side and killed me at the same time, so I had to do it all over again. Raw Mastodon Halberd +10 still does the job nicely although am I crazy or does the halberd degrade much faster in NG+? I don't know what's the case, tougher enemies or maybe the Raw upgrade, but I'm not really hitting many more times yet sometimes the durability chips away significantly faster. It's like the game registers hitting through walls or the floor and sometimes it doesn't.

How many
souls of a giant do you have? You'll want five, really. Then don't bother with magic at all for the fight, much easier to melee. Keep trying to get behind him. always roll to his left (your right) and you'll avoid all his attacks. And don't get greedy, one or two swipes at a time ;)

Do you have the Giant Souls?

For melee is pretty easy, just move around his legs and whack away after his swings.

If you are melee you can simply stand behind him an whack him to death I did it with a mastodon greatsword. Have you got all the giant souls?
I killed him earlier by using the same strategy but thx anyways.

Panda Rin

just finished up my first playthrough. I recently played the first DS, and I wasn't able to do much messaging or co-oping. Being able to do so this time around changed the game completely. Hella fun.

HoosTrax

Welp, time to start up NG++ to get the last three spells needed to 100% achievements. I think Amana made me rage just as much on NG+ as it did on NG. Also, I had a harder time with the Chariot than I did in NG for some reason, but that may have been due to try to do the boss fight while tired at 1am. Other than that, I had a way easier time.

- Like what the heck the
old man in a wheelchair who I keep seeing in random, dark locations actually does

-
. I wonder if

- How to

There are 3 Milfanitos, you can pray at at the Shrine and turn human if you are out of effegies.

Keep the trees in mind, you will interact at some point.

didamangi

So yeah, I don't have the skills to beat the optional Dar
klurk
er with my high strength med dex halberd build, tried ~10 times and failed, a few times I was close and only 10% left on the boss's health before dying.

With no
effigy
left, I resign to the fact that I have to respec for a spell build to beat this boss. I check my inventory, great lightning spear seems okay, so I respec to hybrid strength/faith/dex build and whaddaya know, grandma gives me 6x
effigies
, just my luck!

Never used a spell in DS before other than pyromancy so I test it out a few times, seems pretty straightforward.

I devised a plan to launch a great lightning spear on my left hand when I can, with a fire halberd on the right for melee attacks. I composed myself and went to fight him/her again and....
6-7 lightning spear later she's dead and I don't even have to heal?
Wut?

aeolist

Banned
About to jump in this weekend, pretty much a noob. Opinions on best starting class (non-Sorcerer)? I was thinking knight or swordsman....is dual wielding worth it? (did read the OP with the tips)
cleric is really good

miracles are great and the mace you start with is one of the best weapons in the game for PvE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom