• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

R1CHO

huh, so there's no reason not to infuse then? I guess the scaling is a little bit worse

The problem is the split of damage type against multiple resistances on enemies. Simple example *

Imagine that an enemy has 100 points of defense against physical damage and 100 points against fire.

Regular+10 Sword will hit for 225-100=125 damage

Fire +10 Sword will hit for 157-100 + 157-100 = 114 damage

So, the optimal thing is to use an elemental weapon against an enemy weak against that elemental, and when in doubt, just use the normal +10.

You also have to take in to account that the scaling of the weapon changes when infusing, that can be good or bad depending on your stats.

* I don't thing the numbers are this simple, as in damage is directly attack-defense, it's just an example

TnK

Just lost almost 80k souls, first time I lost such an amount. it was a little over two level ups.

Did you fight the Pursuer? If yes there's a nest in the area after the boss fight that takes you to a new area. You can also go back to Majula and enter the underground sewer on the right of the bonfire. There should be a rope you can pull to open the gate into a new area.
Didn't fight the pursuer yet, no.
If you're talking about the Soldier's Rest bonfire, that area is indeed a dead end for now. If you've beaten the first boss of the game, use the key you got to open doors you couldn't before. You can also go back to Majula and go through the stone archway to the right of the big Mansion and cat's house (I think).
What are all the doors that I can open? I forgot all the other doors tbh...

At least now I know I finished the area at least lol.

UrbanRats

I also vote for the complete removal of Soul Memory.

I want to keep doing low level Co-op. Help people out to clear early bosses and levels, enjoy my most favorite aspect of the game without having to constantly start a new character that will only be effective for a certain amount of time until he meets a dreaded Soul Level cap that limits my interaction with newbies.

It's really detracting as a mechanic. Stick it to SL alone and let people have all the fun they want.

It's really stupid that one (un)practical solution for PC users who want to permanently do Co-op involves constantly backing up and deleting their save file as soon as SM gets too high.

Couldn't agree more.

I never coop'd in previous games, but i just found out with DkS2 that being summoned is just about the most fun part of the game, for me... it's sad when you get cut off of an area, even though you're not really more powerful than you were before.

HoosTrax

Would have been funny if Pursuer gets so fed up with you and chasing you across the length of Drangleic to make you atone for whatever sins you've committed, that it eventually culminates in a Belfry Gargoyle-esque fight with six of them. You basically end up having to summon two people and it turns into a epic nine-way fight.

Or a Royal Rat Vanguard-esque fight with a few dozen tiny Pursuers rushing and poking you to death.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Didn't fight the pursuer yet, no.

What are all the doors that I can open? I forgot all the other doors tbh...

At least now I know I finished the area at least lol.

Look for doors that are wooden with a metal grid on them, they're kind of orange, I think. I believe if you go up the stairs in the room with the second bonfire in the area, you'll find one of these doors. There should be at least one more of these doors in the area down the ladder from the bonfire.

ElFly

Does the blacksmith restock his items?

They only become unlimited as you advance through the game. I think it only happens at the end of the game, but the stone selling girl will increase her stock once you make it to iron keep, and by that point you unlock another blacksmith with a separate stock.

huh, so there's no reason not to infuse then? I guess the scaling is a little bit worse
I imagine that the reason that it's not a 50/50 split is because it has to go through two defenses - physical and elemental - reducing the total damage. Also, if you're going pure str/dex, infusing the weapon does lower the str/dex scaling.
edit: I should have refreshed the page. Looks like this was already covered.

lunlunqq

For soul memory, since they created this new system to prevent people ganking newbies, how about make the SM limitation only apply to Dark/Grey invastions and leave the co-op the same as the previous games (SL matching only). I think that would the game somewhat better.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yo you dont need belbros for chunks at all, the BS lady sells infinite for 6k a pop at endgame

got all my gear +10 now including staff and shield. except my head because I havent decided which to use. im still hoping to manage to get my warlock mask from my tank to my sorc via some bro phantom bro helping me

Gattsu25

Banned
For soul memory, since they created this new system to prevent people ganking newbies, how about make the SM limitation only apply to Dark/Grey invastions and leave the co-op the same as the previous games (SL matching only). I think that would the game somewhat better.
Are we sure that is the sole reason why they introduced it? What is SM if working exactly as intended?

georly

Without spoiling anything for me, can someone answer me with a simple yes or no?

I found
drangleic castle
. I still have other paths to go down. I still can't
open the doors that require the symbol of the king.
I defeated
the lost sinner, the butcher guy in the poison area, and the iron keep boss.
I'm currently also able to get to
brightstone cove tesladora.

My question is: Can I/Should I go into
drangleic castle
? I get vibes that I shouldnt be going in there yet.

HoosTrax

Without spoiling anything for me, can someone answer me with a simple yes or no?

I found
drangleic castle
I defeated

drangleic castle
No.

Gattsu25

Banned

I found
drangleic castle
I defeated

drangleic castle

Your choice.

No problem going in.

Hey guys, 50 hours in almost, and just got to the Iron Keep. Am I bad at Dark Souls?

To be fair, I'm in the Covenant of Champions, and I've done a lot of exploring. I also seem to have stumbled upon areas that I really shouldn't have been in early in the game, and spent a lot of time beating my head against them.

Haunted

I found
drangleic castle
I defeated

drangleic castle
If you want to follow the traditional progression,
Brightstone Cove Tseldora
comes before
Drangleic Castle
- but since you were able to
open the door of the Shrine of Winter
, it means you're strong enough to enter
Drangleic Castle
and the path to the endgame as well. :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
When I go through an area so many times that enemies stop spawning, I feel like a moron. I feel like they activated easy baby-mode for me. Personally I wish you had to grind an incredible amount to lose enemies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You mean destroying all chances of a stable PVP community forming?

Yeah I guess, it's totally working.

Ghost23

So I am very close to getting my DS4 to work. My devices and printers section says both wireless controller (DS4) and Xbox 360 controller for Windows. It's not working yet, but is it because when I click the controllers link on the Xinput mapper it says both virtual HID device and 360 controller? How do I disable the HID device? I have hide DS4 controller check marked already.

Uthred

I also vote for the complete removal of Soul Memory.

I want to keep doing low level Co-op. Help people out to clear early bosses and levels, enjoy my most favorite aspect of the game without having to constantly start a new character that will only be effective for a certain amount of time until he meets a dreaded Soul Level cap that limits my interaction with newbies.

It's really detracting as a mechanic. Stick it to SL alone and let people have all the fun they want.

It's really stupid that one (un)practical solution for PC users who want to permanently do Co-op involves constantly backing up and deleting their save file as soon as SM gets too high.

SL alone has its own problems, most of which SM works to alleviate. I do think SM should be tweaked so its based on souls spent rather than total souls accrued. That way if you want to have a character just for co-op you can just not spend souls. Or even just add in the ability to "freeze" your SM, when its frozen you dont earn souls or only earn souls up to X amount. Personally even with the problems the current implementation has I think SM is superior to SL,

So I killed the
Pursuer in Iron Keep
, only to get killed by one of the archers from outside before collecting the ring. Fuck this shit.

HoosTrax

When I go through an area so many times that enemies stop spawning, I feel like a moron. I feel like they activated easy baby-mode for me. Personally I wish you had to grind an incredible amount to lose enemies.
Heh, I feel you. I kind of felt embarrassed when I caused Amana Shrine's second bonfire section to despawn on not one, but two playthroughs.

Oh, so
The Rotton
has an insta-gib attack? Well that's stupid. Is there really anyway to avoid his exploding attack? I've rolled back as soon as I see the animation and it's not working.

Lucy was pretty useless when I took her in. By useless, I mean literally just stood there and got pummeled. Maybe attack 5 times. No need to bring her in if I've already used her 3 times, right?

Got a Applied Mathmatics/Differential Equations Final in ~4 hours.

Screw Euler, Gauss, and Simpson. I want to play Dark Souls!

fuck diff eq.

good luck

yo you dont need belbros for chunks at all, the BS lady sells infinite for 6k a pop at endgame

but where is the fun in that?

It really seems now people are just rushing the gate, especially for Luna. It's pretty lame. Fuck if I'm going to find you now, I'm just going to wait at the gate.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
SON OF A BITCH

the second mob that can drop
Warlocks Mask
(besides the phantom in Huntsman Copse) also didnt drop it, of course! and it doesnt respawn...because fuck me thats why.

ok guys, please explain exactly how the ascetics work. if I pop one in 1 bonfire, does it affect just the area around that bonfire, or the entire zone that bonfire is in?

like, this npc is near the last bonfire in shrine of amana, right before going into undead crypt. if I pop a ascetic, will that buff the entire shrine of amana?

georly

If you want to follow the traditional progression,
Brightstone Cove Tseldora
comes before
Drangleic Castle
- but since you were able to
open the door of the Shrine of Winter
, it means you're strong enough to enter
Drangleic Castle
and the path to the endgame as well. :)

Ah, so that's why
i could randomly open the door when i couldnt before.

How does it define
'strong enough?' Level, souls? Does that mean that lvl 1 runs are impossible?

Also, I just wanted to say that the shorter loading times and better framerate of the PC version has really made this game WAY more playable. I think the massive boring loading times on PS3 really detracted from the experience.

HoosTrax

Oh, so
The Rotton
has an insta-gib attack? Well that's stupid. Is there really anyway to avoid his exploding attack? I've rolled back as soon as I see the animation and it's not working.
It has a surprising range, kind of like Smelter Demon's AOE move after he plunges his sword into the ground. On the other hand, it is blockable, so Dark resistant shields like Rebel's or Transgressor's can be helpful.

Lucy was pretty useless when I took her in. By useless, I mean literally just stood there and got pummeled. Maybe attack 5 times. No need to bring her in if I've already used her 3 times, right?
Funny thing is, people recommend farming this boss for Lucatiel's achievement and I found out the same thing you did -- she just get hammered by him. I had to use the Red Eye ring to make it through with her alive.

georly

Funny thing is, people recommend farming this boss for Lucatiel's achievement and I found out the same thing you did -- she just get hammered by him. I had to use the Red Eye ring to make it through with her alive.

How does one get her achievement? I've had her fight and survive 4 boss fights now, what else do I have to do?

HildyB

Hey guys, 50 hours in almost, and just got to the Iron Keep. Am I bad at Dark Souls?

To be fair, I'm in the Covenant of Champions, and I've done a lot of exploring. I also seem to have stumbled upon areas that I really shouldn't have been in early in the game, and spent a lot of time beating my head against them.

Sounds about right. There are a ton of walkthroughs, but those can ruin the fun of exploration and accomplishment. If you need specific tips or hints, you have us! Just tell us where you are, what you want or need, and we will guide you.

*Jump ahead, treasure below.*

HoosTrax

How does one get her achievement? I've had her fight and survive 4 boss fights now, what else do I have to do?
Talk to her in each of the places her appears and she makes a final appearance at Aldia Shrine, next to the initial bonfire. If and only if you have met the requirements, you'll unlock the achievement (and get her swag).

As long as she survived 3 boss fights, then yes.

awesome, to hell with her then. I'll bring some SunBros then instead.

It has a surprising range, kind of like Smelter Demon's AOE move after he plunges his sword into the ground. On the other hand, it is blockable, so Dark resistant shields like Rebel's or Transgressor's can be helpful.

I'll have to check the dark damage, figured it was something like that. Thanks. I had him down to like 15% before getting instagibbed. So that was annoying.

Probably would have had him if a) the guy I summoned didn't immediately die and b) Lucy didn't turn into a meat puppet.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

Speak to her at every location, then finally at
Aldia's Keep
. One of her speaking locations (
Black Gulch
) is easy to miss.

Speak to her at every location, then finally at
Aldia's Keep
. One of her speaking locations (
Black Gulch
) is easy to miss.
If I spoke to her at the final location without doing her quest, am I out of luck now that she's gone from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom