• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
oops, editing for potential spoilers

edit:

Hate to ask for help, as I prefer not seeing spoilers or being directed through the game... but......

I'm not really sure what I need to be doing now.

I defeated what I assume are the 4 old ones, because I've embraced 4 great souls and explored every accessible area to its end. NPCs acknowledge this and the most I can gather is that I need to 'go to the castle'... Hm, well, which castle? I've been through two or three already.

I figured I'd go back to the areas with the large doors, but messages imply I need to wear a ring, symbol of the king I suppose. I don't have such a thing.

Clearly I've overlooked something, but what that thing is, I don't know.

BadWolf

Hate to ask for help, as I prefer not seeing spoilers or being directed through the game... but......

I'm not really sure what I need to be doing now.

I defeated what I assume are the 4 old ones, because I've embraced 4 great souls and explored every accessible area to its end. NPCs acknowledge this and the most I can gather is that I need to 'go to the castle'... Hm, well, which castle? I've been through two or three already.

I figured I'd go back to the areas with the large doors, but messages imply I need to wear a ring, symbol of the king I suppose. I don't have such a thing.

Clearly I've overlooked something, but what that thing is, I don't know.

Have you tried the Shaded Woods?

There is a door there that requires you to have enough powerful souls, if you have them then it will open.

Go back to the shaded woods and go through the left exit (opposite the fog). There, keep killing the enemies and keep moving forward until you get to what seems to be a dead end. A bit to your left, there will be a poorly visible path with another undead on it. Kill it, keep following that road and it will become clear eventually

Thank ya, I'll head there now!

R1CHO

I'm basing everything on my own experimentation with these, so I might be wrong and others might correct me. It's just that in my experience, the boost in attack from the priest's chime was more significant than the tiny cast speed boost from the starter chime.
If you're unsure about miracles or hexes, here's my experience on it as a player who used miracles for the majority of the game (50 fth, 5 int. both versions of lightning spear and sunlight spear + lightning defender's greatsword +5) and later switched over to hexes:

They're both really good. Pumping up faith to 50 allows you to use the best miracle chime in the game by far (Dragon's Chime), as it has the highest base damage, an S scaling in lightning and incredibly high casting speed. If you spend an hour or two in the
sunbro
covenant, you also get sunlight spear (requires more faith, but you can decrease the requirement with a certain spice item), which is basically a boss killer. These offensive miracles hurt like hell and they practically have infinite range if you aim with binoculars. However, they do have incredibly limited uses, so you can't solely rely on them and the sunlight spear has 3-4 uses, which is why it's best kept apart for bosses. Most enemies will still take 2-3 hits from your great lightning spear (GLS) and you'll probably only be able to carry 9-10 of these for a while. It's also quite a bit slower than hexes, but really, the infinite range makes up for that.

If you're going for Hexes, you could basically stop pumping points into faith and intelligence at 30 and concentrate on other stats afterwards, as from that point on you're going to encounter severely diminishing returns. It has some great spells like Dark Orb and Great Resonant Soul (GRS), but the former is short range and usually won't hit an enemy outside of lock-on range, while the latter costs 500 souls per cast. Spells such as GRS also take in 2 attunement slots, whereas all three miracle spears only require a single slot. The spells are also bound to two different weapon types, namely chimes or staffs, meaning that you're either going to have to carry two different "best" items or a single one that can cast both in expense for lower damage. But enough negative talk and onto the positive stuff...

Hexes are pretty insanely strong. I use a sunset staff and a chime of want for my hexes as those tend to be the best possible weapons for hexes when fully upgraded. Dark Orb does comparable damage to a GLS and has more than twice the uses. GRS does more damage than a sunlight spear and has three times the uses. Both spells cast in a significantly shorter time than the aforementioned miracle spells and Dark Orb actually staggers a lot of enemies, letting you bombard them with your insane amount of spell uses (you can get up to 70+) without them even being able to get near you. A lot of enemies and bosses seem to be non-resistant or even weak against dark spells, so they rarely survive long enough to GRS or Dark Orb spamming. Dark Fog + Bat staff is almost OP in PVP as it instantly poisons the opposition (the damage seems to be higher than regular poison) and it's incredibly difficult to dodge the fog, meaning all you have to do is keep up the pressure and be careful and they're done for within seconds. It also gives you tons of options, as you can experiment with both sorceries and miracles to a lesser extent. If you enter a certain covenant, namely
Pilgrims of Dark
, you mget a ring that increases your hex damage in trade for tiny amounts of health. Hexes actually make it possible to clear entire levels with spells alone, without having to rely on melee combat. I'd say it's potentially more powerful than miracles, but it also asks more of the player in return.

Thanks mate! Very interesting. I think I will continue the faith path and later make a respec to try the other stuff.

I really want to check sunlight spear, I need another 12 medals or something like that.

HoosTrax

I'm basing everything on my own experimentation with these, so I might be wrong and others might correct me. It's just that in my experience, the boost in attack from the priest's chime was more significant than the tiny cast speed boost from the starter chime.
If you're unsure about miracles or hexes, here's my experience on it as a player who used miracles for the majority of the game (50 fth, 5 int. both versions of lightning spear and sunlight spear + lightning defender's greatsword +5) and later switched over to hexes:

They're both really good. Pumping up faith to 50 allows you to use the best miracle chime in the game by far (Dragon's Chime), as it has the highest base damage, an S scaling in lightning and incredibly high casting speed. If you spend an hour or two in the
sunbro
covenant, you also get sunlight spear (requires more faith, but you can decrease the requirement with a certain spice item), which is basically a boss killer. These offensive miracles hurt like hell and they practically have infinite range if you aim with binoculars. However, they do have incredibly limited uses, so you can't solely rely on them and the sunlight spear has 3-4 uses, which is why it's best kept apart for bosses. Most enemies will still take 2-3 hits from your great lightning spear (GLS) and you'll probably only be able to carry 9-10 of these for a while. It's also quite a bit slower than hexes, but really, the infinite range makes up for that.

If you're going for Hexes, you could basically stop pumping points into faith and intelligence at 30 and concentrate on other stats afterwards, as from that point on you're going to encounter severely diminishing returns. It has some great spells like Dark Orb and Great Resonant Soul (GRS), but the former is short range and usually won't hit an enemy outside of lock-on range, while the latter costs 500 souls per cast. Spells such as GRS also take in 2 attunement slots, whereas all three miracle spears only require a single slot. The spells are also bound to two different weapon types, namely chimes or staffs, meaning that you're either going to have to carry two different "best" items or a single one that can cast both in expense for lower damage. But enough negative talk and onto the positive stuff...

Hexes are pretty insanely strong. I use a sunset staff and a chime of want for my hexes as those tend to be the best possible weapons for hexes when fully upgraded. Dark Orb does comparable damage to a GLS and has more than twice the uses. GRS does more damage than a sunlight spear and has three times the uses. Both spells cast in a significantly shorter time than the aforementioned miracle spells and Dark Orb actually staggers a lot of enemies, letting you bombard them with your insane amount of spell uses (you can get up to 70+) without them even being able to get near you. A lot of enemies and bosses seem to be non-resistant or even weak against dark spells, so they rarely survive long enough to GRS or Dark Orb spamming. Dark Fog + Bat staff is almost OP in PVP as it instantly poisons the opposition (the damage seems to be higher than regular poison) and it's incredibly difficult to dodge the fog, meaning all you have to do is keep up the pressure and be careful and they're done for within seconds. It also gives you tons of options, as you can experiment with both sorceries and miracles to a lesser extent. If you enter a certain covenant, namely
Pilgrims of Dark
, you get a ring that increases your hex damage in trade for tiny amounts of health. Hexes actually make it possible to clear entire levels with spells alone, without having to rely on melee combat. I'd say it's potentially more powerful than miracles, but it also asks more of the player in return.
For PVE, I think Miracles (Lightning Spear line) along with Dragon Chime work pretty well. I used to run with a mix of Sunlight Spear, GLS, and regular LS until I acquired enough copies of GLS with subsequent playthroughs to make that my bread-and-butter attack. Able to one or two shot the vast majority of enemies in the game, with certain exceptions, like Black Leydia Witches. They also make short work of most bosses with the exception of Duke's Dear Freja.

Honestly, it got to the point where it felt so OP to just run though levels spamming a lightning spear at each enemy from range that I consciously un-attuned all of my LS spells to try other builds, none of which have been as efficient so far.

I've found the problem with my faith/strength build is that so much of what's useful for PvE is useless for PvP. I mean you're never going to hit anyone decent with the faith spears.

edit: I haven't got wrath of the gods yet though, so I don't know how effective that is.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think lightning spears could be viable if you were a KB+M user.

Too bad KB+M sucks for all the other controls.

HoosTrax

I've found the problem with my faith/strength build is that so much of what's useful for PvE is useless for PvP. I mean you're never going to hit anyone decent with the faith spears.
Yep, even with Chaos hood + Clear Bluestone Ring +2 + Dragon Chime, the cast time is still much too slow for a spell that's non-homing to boot.

There's a red NPC invader at the bottom of
Majula sewer shaft
who likes to spam Sunlight Spear, and fighting him will give you some perspective as to how easy it is to dodge the cast if you see and/or hear it coming.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I'm still a little confused, is it possible to get the Monastery Scimitar before NG+, with a bonfire ascetic?

I needs it

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I've finally started messing around with dual wielding/power stance. I've used dual Bastard Swords and Flame Sword/Heide Sword for a fire/lightning combo. Is there anything in particular I need to know aside from stamina management? Are there better dual movesets anyone can recommend? Black Steel Katana looks like it would be great. Also, are there I-frames for the dual attack with LT?

I used an Ascetic in the Shaded Ruins to get the Southern whatever Band +2. Did it, but it was tough going.

I'm worried about NG+ now. Also, fuck Aldia's keep. That hallway is causing me some real pain. Wasn't that bad when I rolled on the XB but oh, this run on PC...

HoosTrax

I used an Ascetic in the Shaded Ruins to get the Southern whatever Band +2. Did it, but it was tough going.

I'm worried about NG+ now. Also, fuck Aldia's keep. That hallway is causing me some real pain. Wasn't that bad when I rolled on the XB but oh, this run on PC...
The hallway that can be bypassed?

HoosTrax

The whole thing? All doors are open, all cages busted.
Seems to me like it's a much less painful experience to get the key from the cage in the left room (where the hidden bonfire is), and then open the right room. Kill the two dragon acolytes. That just leaves the one cyclops ogre behind the stationary ogre, and he can't hit you through the doorway anyway. You can get to the boss door by bypassing the ogre overlooking the hall.

edit: I haven't got wrath of the gods yet though, so I don't know how effective that is.
The underlying issue with faith builds is that the casting time for anything takes fucking ages. And lightning spears are really easy to dodge to the point the only useful PvP use they have is in bellbros if the person isn't noticing you

The trick is to get a weapon that does a lot of lightning damage and hurt with that. I have defender great sword +5 with lightning. Unless the person decides to never attack you and just dodges everything you do, get good with it and the timing. Nobody expects a good thrust in PVP trust me.

Yep, even with Chaos hood + Clear Bluestone Ring +2 + Dragon Chime, the cast time is still much too slow for a spell that's non-homing to boot.

There's a red NPC invader at the bottom of
Majula sewer shaft
who likes to spam Sunlight Spear, and fighting him will give you some perspective as to how easy it is to dodge the cast if you see and/or hear it coming.

Yeah. Don't know why FROM decided to make cast times for these so long while mages cast their hexes/spells within a second no matter the strength. Kind of nerfs spears for pvp though they are very useful for PvE and co-op

Haunted

Ah, so that's why
i could randomly open the door when i couldnt before.

How does it define
'strong enough?' Level, souls? Does that mean that lvl 1 runs are impossible?
Either you bring the four great souls or have 1 million soul memory.

NEO0MJ

So, how do you open the locked door in
the crystal mines, near the house of spiders and just before that pit with tiny sharp rocks. It says that I don't have enough strength.

Also, is there any way to boost luck byond using Jester helm, Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +1, Prisoner's Tatters and a rusted coin?

z1ggy

I don´t know you guys, but the Looking Glass Knight fight was for me the best fight i ever had in a Souls game. The summon thing was an excellent design idea.

Seems to me like it's a much less painful experience to get the key from the cage in the left room (where the hidden bonfire is), and then open the right room. Kill the two dragon acolytes. That just leaves the one cyclops ogre behind the stationary ogre, and he can't hit you through the doorway anyway. You can get to the boss door by bypassing the ogre overlooking the hall.

I've got the key, I just end up getting knocked around whenever I make a move for it. I'll get through, I was more venting that I got nailed for 94k yesterday. Acceptable losses though...a few rounds fighting Velstadt and I'll get it back.

HoosTrax

the crystal mines, near the house of spiders and just before that pit with tiny sharp rocks. It says that I don't have enough strength.
That door is opened in a fashion that you would think all wooden doors, locked or otherwise, in games could be opened in, but alas developers tend to put unnecessary and non-sensical restrictions in.

(am I being too cryptic?)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Llellwyn set is pretty damn nice looking but Alonne Captain set is still my main. Oh, the Syan set is nice as well albeit too heavy for my taste. I farmed all 3 and was relatively successful, used an Ascetic for Alonne though.

Am I missing out on anything by never using effigies and running around completely hollowed at all times? The HP penalty doesn't seem that significant once you get the
ring of binding
and I haven't felt the need to summon so far, though I'm still fairly early in the game
(just beat the ruin sentinels in bastile)
so I imagine and that could change...

Just doesn't really seem worth burning through such rare items at this stage when death happens fairly regularly anyway.

Mistel

Banned

Also, is there any way to boost luck byond using Jester helm, Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +1, Prisoner's Tatters and a rusted coin?
You need the brightstone key or the Tseldora den key for that door I believe. The watch dragon parma boosts item discovery.

Am I missing out on anything by never using effigies and running around completely hollowed at all times? The HP penalty doesn't seem that significant once you get the
ring of binding
and I haven't felt the need to summon so far, though I'm still fairly early in the game

Just doesn't really seem worth burning through such rare items at this stage when death happens fairly regularly anyway.

I believe it goes with bonuses to your damage and stuff. Though personally it's up to you to decide. The main use, outside of aesthetics, is that you can summon people in co-op though you can technically regain humanity by helping someone with a boss.

Yeah, I'm actually really loving it as well. I know some people have had complaints about it, but I love it.

I like that unlike DS1 this game is not as restricting with which way they force you to go. Aka I won't die if I decide to go one way over the other.

AJLma

Turns out some simple fire defense stacking is enough to make
Ancient Dragon
a piece of cake, on NG anyway.

Now for
Vendrick

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
ring of binding

You can restore your humanity by doing coop. I'm never hollow for long and never use my effigies.

Yeah, I'm actually really loving it as well. I know some people have had complaints about it, but I love it.

The amount and variety of locations is really impressive and most of them look really good.
I wasn't sold on it at first but it has won me over, the last couple of places I've been to looked fantastic, great atmosphere.
Unlike the first game where some areas towards the end where pretty bland this one just keeps getting better and I find myself looking forward to see what's next.
It's shame they dropped the ball with the bosses but I really can't complain about the environments and enemy variety.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
its killing me that my tank has the warlock mask and my sorc doesnt, it really is. why cant you just use the item box to transfer items between characters, diablo style :(

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Turns out some simple fire defense stacking is enough to make
Ancient Dragon
a piece of cake, on NG anyway.

Now for
Vendrick

I think Alonne Captain set has the highest fire defense when fully upgraded. That, a small orange burr and a flame quartz ring should do the trick. I'm speaking for myself mostly cuz I'm gonna meet him soon!

ring of binding

There are a few NPC questlines that require you to summon the NPC for bosses (and have them survive the fight). If you want all the armour sets and to see all the story events, that's certainly a reason to go human.

Effigies are farmable, they don't stay rare for long if you farm enemies that drop them (even without using ascetics). Unless you're popping them like candy, somewhere in NG+ you will probably be leaving them behind if you farm because your inventory is full. And as Sinatar said above, a successful co-op session will regain your humanity, so that'a always free.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
FUCK OFF FROM

killed the chariot but a stupid skeleton killed me and it didnt count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom