• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

impact

Banned
Old hero dead. Fuuuuuuuuck 4-2 it's by far the hardest section for me in the soul series. I doubt anything will come close. I only have about two or three areas left.

5-2 is way harder depending on your WT

But mostly because of the way Demons handled water. What a troll

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
YO, hexes just DESTROY those dragon shrine mothefuckers. That was so satisfying after hating the zone on my melee tank character!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How good is Dark Weapon buff compared to Magic Weapon and its derivatives.

Leveled up my character to use it, 10 INT to 16 INT.

They all buff the weapons in exactly the same way (50 damage, no scaling, 30% additional innate elemental damage). Meaning if you want to maximize it, you should infuse your weapon with Dark.

Ultimately, it comes down to what kind of damage you want to deal and Dark isn't bad as far as that's concerned.

AJLma

Well,
Ancient Dragon
will be the first challenge in a Souls game that I'll bow out of until they patch it. This shit is garbage. Anyone know a way to cheese this guy?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Try to stay in front of him to bait the line fire breath. Attack his claws a few times when he does. If he doesn't take the bait, immediately high-tail it to his tail.

Well,
Ancient Dragon
will be the first challenge in a Souls game that I'll bow out of until they patch it. This shit is garbage. Anyone know a way to cheese this guy?

I stayed in front of him to lure out his front flame breath and then attacked. Sprint hard and far as soon as you see his wings start to beat as that's when he will fly up.

R1CHO

Well,
Ancient Dragon

I don't understand the complains with that guy, why would they patch it?

1) Not a required boss, only reason is a boss it's because the player wants to attack it.

2) He's big as a fucking house, that's a lot of life, you have to be patience.

3) He's powerful but slow, you have to do 3 things in the fight, bait, attack and run. It's very safe to attack him, he only has one dangerous attack.

http://youtu.be/PehXn69SU8U

How good is Dark Weapon buff compared to Magic Weapon and its derivatives.

Leveled up my character to use it, 10 INT to 16 INT.

They all buff the weapons in exactly the same way (50 damage, no scaling, 30% additional innate elemental damage). Meaning if you want to maximize it, you should infuse your weapon with Dark.

Ultimately, it comes down to what kind of damage you want to deal and Dark isn't bad as far as that's concerned.

Actually, from what the wiki says it seems that Resonant Weapon is the most powerful buff. All the other buffs add 50 damage + 30% like you said, but Resonant Weapon adds 50 damage + 50%.

The only drawback is that it costs 2000 (or maybe 5000) souls to cast it each time. The damage is so worth it though.

Zushin

Well,
Ancient Dragon

Gower's Ring of Protection - if you're going to be hit by his fire breath, make sure your back is facing him and you will absorb all the damage (max 5 times). Can only get the ring in NG+ though.

R1CHO

Gower's Ring of Protection - if you're going to be hit by his fire breath, make sure your back is facing him and you will absorb all the damage (max 5 times). Can only get the ring in NG+ though.

You can also use Bonfire Ascetic.

Gestahl

Well,
Ancient Dragon

As someone who finally got the pattern down after the fifth-sixth attempt, bowing out is probably the right decision. What a boring, nothing fight.

Also saw two people back to back get instantly melted by the Prowling Magus today. Even if they ascetic'd the bonfire it still feels baffling to me

Zafir

As someone who finally got the pattern down after the fifth-sixth attempt, bowing out is probably the right decision. What a boring, nothing fight.

Also saw two people back to back get instantly melted by the Prowling Magus today. Even if they ascetic'd the bonfire it still feels baffling to me
Yeah I farmed sunbro medals from that boss since it was quick/easy, and a good few I came across died straight away.

didamangi

Well,
Ancient Dragon

Bait and switch, basically you'll want him only to do his front fire attack and his aoe attack, there's a video on youtube detailing this.

I recommend you use no armor, equip the stamina recovery ring, the dragon ring, the Blossom Kite Shield and attack him 2 handed with your weapon of choice or your spells. Just be patient and you'll beat him.

R1CHO

It's weird, I also thought it was one of the easiest fights, but I guess their lighting attack can hurt quite a bit.

I bonfire ascetic that fight twice for the items and for the npc quest, and always was very fast and painless.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oops I fucked up, forgot to kill
the duo where nashandra spawns before killing the giant
. now I have to fight all at the same time sigh

Zafir

oops I fucked up, forgot to kill
the duo where nashandra spawns before killing the giant
. now I have to fight all at the same time sigh
Yeah I didn't realise that was going to happen so I did the first boss and was looking round the area after killing them. Then suddenly the boss spawned and I was like wtf. xD

Rhaknar

can coop phantoms pick up items you leave on the ground?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Undead Purgatory via Huntsman's Copse
Is losing insane amount of souls and dying many many times normal to progress through this section?

If you're careful, and time it right so that you don't lose all your stamina and can still dodge attacks if necessary, you can sprint from the bonfire to the fog gate relatively quickly. You'll have a train of those tall dudes chasing you across the bridge, but you can jump either left or right just at the end of the bridge to the platforms the enemies can't reach you on. From there most of the enemies will retreat--if any stick around you can use ranged attacks to get rid of them.

Rhaknar

You could simply warp out of there if you'd like.

did it first try with the npc summons anyway. so thats the game finished with a second character, although I liked this sor better, I might try the stuff I missed this time

mikeybass

Neo Member
Iron Keep spoilers ahead

Meeting the Pursuer again made me realise how much I spammed summons and ballistas the first time around. Stuck on that guy for two days!

Cyborg

Well,
Ancient Dragon

Follow his tail (look at his shadow) stay always on the left side of de shadow. :) Two hits on his leg, then he will try to hit you with his tail, two hits on his tail. His flys up then you follow the tail (like I said)

elfinke

So I see enchanted katanas are the weapon du jour at the moment at Iron Keep. Immensely frustrating, as their range is significantly longer than it appears. What makes e encounters so frustrating are all the spells I launch that hit, with animation and all on my end, only to cause no damage. The fun quickly disappears in these moments :/

Mistel

Banned
Iron Keep spoilers ahead

Meeting the Pursuer again made me realise how much I spammed summons and ballistas the first time around. Stuck on that guy for two days!
That pursuer is optional but try strike damage.
So I see enchanted katanas are the weapon du jour at the moment at Iron Keep. Immensely frustrating, as their range is significantly longer than it appears. What makes e encounters so frustrating are all the spells I launch that hit, with animation and all on my end, only to cause no damage. The fun quickly disappears in these moments :/
They do have a bit of phantom range not the only thing to either.

It was at the throne dudes. We killed one and we were working on the other when he retreated and banished us,
Maybe something he forgot to do and wanted to homebone out of the fight? Maybe wanted to summon Benhart and forgot, or he was doing Nashandra too and wasn't prepared for the fight?

Being a dick is also a valid reason, but just trying to think of ways to give benefit of the doubt (I would've messaged you to say sorry in such an occasion though!)

Iron Keep spoilers ahead

I actually found him pretty manageable this time. Keep to his shield side and roll past when he attacks. You can usually only get one hit it before he recovers. Takes a while.

I have a strenght build and am currently at
Drangleic Castle
, still using the homunculous mace for one-hand weapon plus shield. Served me well until now, especially against armored dudes of which there are a ton and skeletons. Just beat the
Dragonriders
and was doing good damage.
For crowd control I'm using the Zweihander, there are stronger swords like the greatsword or Mastodon but the weight/damage compromise seems better to me with the Zweihander. Should I replace any of these?

Edit: Damn, I just realized that I never ran into the Pursuer again after running away from him during the first encounter in the
forest of fallen giants
. WTF?

jns

Do you guys get mad if you are invaded and killed by a naked character with a poison whip?

No way! I love invaders like that (and I used to have a bunch of toons in DS1 that I would do exactly the same thing).

if people want to find/use the most powerful weapons and spells and stunlock me while wearing the perfect armor, then go right ahead. It doesn't faze me at all, but I alwayd have much more fun with invaders who at least try to think a little further outside the box--even if that means they are trolling for tears.

i can honestly say that the most fun I had invading in DS1 was at SL30 with my maneater mildred toon in Anor Londo. I got smashed more times than not, but had a ton of fun.

Mistel

Banned
For crowd control I'm using the Zweihander, there are stronger swords like the greatsword or Mastodon but the weight/damage compromise seems better to me with the Zweihander. Should I replace any of these?
Try the mastodon, kings ultra greatsword, and pursuer ultra great sword. The Zwei itself is fine to use for the whole game.

Temidien

Neo Member
Why would someone banish you just before helping them finish off a boss? Just to be a dick or do they benefit from that?

I've had this happen to me numerous times before the host steps through the fog gate (most often before
Skeleton Lords
, which can be pretty frustrating considering the long trek to them from bonfire).

Garcia

I stayed in front of him to lure out his front flame breath and then attacked. Sprint hard and far as soon as you see his wings start to beat as that's when he will fly up.

This is exactly the Ancient Dragon's weak point. Once you discover it, the battle becomes just a matter of patience rather than good luck.

The battle goes from extremely hard to super easy after you learn how predictable his frontal flame attack can be.

Lord Phol

Got all the
Primal
Bonfires and think I'm pretty close to completing the game. I've tried a bunch of weapons, but I have to say the Greatsword has been a fine ally thought-out most of the game. It's just so destructive and versatile, even saved me from an invasion or two.

eot

Banned
This is exactly the Ancient Dragon's weak point. Once you discover it, the battle becomes just a matter of patience rather than good luck.

The battle goes from extremely hard to super easy after you learn how predictable his frontal flame attack can be.

The problem is that one time out of twenty he'll fly off in a direction instead of flying straight up and you'll get roasted. It seemed like RNG to me, but maybe there's a way to be 100% consistent with baiting the right attacks.

Run to fog door, kite them back for a bit, and then go for the fog door again.

I tried that that for a while but it wasn't really working with the two by the door. Eventually I realized I could get one to fall off the side and after that it was a piece of cake

The king is tall as fuck

HoosTrax

I tried that that for a while but it wasn't really working with the two by the door. Eventually I realized I could get one to fall off the side and after that it was a piece of cake

The king is tall as fuck
His armor is big as fuck as well. Luckily, the version you get is shrunken down to a size that is wearable for a normal-sized undead person instead of a tall-as-fuck undead person.

NEO0MJ

I've been trying to farm
Ruin Sentinel Armor
Even with Jester helm, Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +1, Prisoner's Tatters and a rusted coin I barely get anything. How long does the effect of a rusted coins last anyways?

HoosTrax

Anyone get their t-shirts from that Qwertee DS/DS2 sale yet? I think mine shipped on the 8th, but I haven't gotten it yet, so I'm curious as to how the print quality will be.

Oh yeah, where's a good place to do sunbro coop? Probably should have started earlier since I've wanted to get Sunlight Spear for a while. My SM is 1.3m-ish

garath

So if you respec, does that just push you back to your original "class" stats or do you go deprived 6 in every category?

Thinking about a respec to a mage class in NG but I started Bandit so I wouldn't have the ideal starting point for that (obviously it won't be too bad but still).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom