• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitor711

Something similar happened to me as well, killed Mytha and died a few seconds later from poison and it didn't count.

Feels bad man :(

In DkS I once had a boss fall off a platform after killing me, to its inevitable doom, and the game counted it.

I miss stuff like that.

Schwartzwold

Neo Member
Hey NeoGaf! I just started the game a few days ago on PC for the first time and I was hoping for a little advice.

Here are my character's current stats:

Name: Huge Slut. (Originally, I was going to make a dexterity based female character with absurd proportions. Instead, I made an old guy who is supposed to be a paladin. I wish I could change the name now...)

Soul Level: 44
Vgr: 15
End: 15
Vit: 10
Atn: 4
Str: 20
Dex: 10
Adp: 10
Int: 3
Fth: 14

I am using the starting armor for the knight class, a Morning Star +5 and a Silver Eagle Kite Shield +0.

I am aiming for a strength/faith build, aka a paladin. I really like blunt weapons like the morning star and I hope to find a huge hammer or something. I want to of course cast miracles too, and be able to buff myself or my weapon. I was going to level up ATN or faith some more next.

I did Things Betwixt, then went to the Forest of The Fallen Giants and beat the last Giant. I then immediately killed the Pursuer. Now I am at Lost Bastille via the crow after the Pursuer. I just beat the Ruin Sentinels.

I beat Pursuer at around level 22 and then I dumped a bunch of points into leveling up. I just hit 44 after beating the Ruin Sentinels and dumping more points into leveling up. Do you think I'm leveling up too fast?

I did that in the first Dark Souls and Demon's Souls because it was the only safe way to "bank" my souls I guess.

I am aiming for a strength/faith build, aka a paladin. I really like blunt weapons like the morning star and I hope to find a huge hammer or something. I want to of course cast miracles too, and be able to buff myself or my weapon.

I know heavy armor sucks in this game, but I would like to be decked out in full plate with a strong shield.

I am moving on in the Lost Bastille now. Any tips?

Thanks!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just did this last night, I'm not sure how that would even work.

Did you, uh, literally beat a dead horse after you wrecked the chariot?

it works like any boss with adds works, you kill the boss but the adds kill you, so the boss death doesnt trigger even tho it vanishes (you dont get the victory screen/soul)

anyway, now that I killed
darklurker
and
undead chariot
, I think im ready to upgrade my hood with all my twinkling (since I give up on the warlock mask) and move on to NG+. I really cba with
Vendrick
, much less
Ancient Dragon

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Do you think I'm leveling up too fast?

I am moving on in the Lost Bastille now. Any tips?

There's no such thing as levelling up too fast in this game, due in part to soul memory (if you don't level up, you're still potentially progressing through tiers of online matchmaking based on the souls you've earned). Sounds like you're doing fine anyway. There's a couple of "strike" weapons to be found in lost bastille.

Edit: If you're finding yourself doing ok with your adp at 10, then all's good, but I don't think I could play the game without it being closer to 20, at least. The first souls I earned on my new character went straight into adp to make dodge rolling feel right.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So who else thinks the Emerald Herald is moe as fuck?

Bearer of the curse. I will always be at your side.
Until hope has fully withered…

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh

Toxi

Banned
So who else thinks the Emerald Herald is moe as fuck?
Well, she is a ripoff of the most moe Souls character ever.

tumblr_mcb9bbtGpp1qe3gjno1_500.gif

Does anybody have any tips for parrying? I was actually pretty good at parrying in DS1, and got to the point where I would successfully parry more often than not. (All the hours farming Darkwraiths paid off, I think.)

I just can't seem to get the timing down in DS2, though.

Edit: If you're finding yourself doing ok with your adp at 10, then all's good, but I don't think I could play the game without it being closer to 20, at least. The first souls I earned on my new character went straight into adp to make dodge rolling feel right.

Can you describe what dodge rolling will feel like at higher adaptability levels?
I try to avoid dodging now because it usually doesn't work.

Schwartzwold

Neo Member
There's no such thing as levelling up too fast in this game, due in part to soul memory (if you don't level up, you're still potentially progressing through tiers of online matchmaking based on the souls you've earned). Sounds like you're doing fine anyway. There's a couple of "strike" weapons to be found in lost bastille.

Yeah, I'm okay so far with 10 ADP. I just died to some weirdos and their stupid bell. I just wanted to get the items in that area!

Mistel

Banned
Nope.
Last saw Pate at the place before the Iron Keep where he gave me his set and last I saw Crieghton was at the shaded woods.
All will come to an end soon then in brightstone.
Does anybody have any tips for parrying? I was actually pretty good at parrying in DS1, and got to the point where I would successfully parry more often than not. (All the hours farming Darkwraiths paid off, I think.)

I just can't seem to get the timing down in DS2, though.
Raise adaptability or use a monastery scimitar.

H2Yo

I was in the Throne of Want and standing outside the fog gate. I summoned two helpers but realised they were NPCS so I used the black stone to banish them. The first went smoothly, but as I was banishing the second I was killed by Dark Magic and yet there were no enemies?!?! Any ideas?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Can you describe what dodge rolling will feel like at higher adaptability levels?
I try to avoid dodging now because it usually doesn't work.

I don't know exactly what the tipping point is, but when you raise your adp (or attunement) to get your agility up nearer 100, you can actually roll through attacks like you could in previous souls games. Too low and I'm taking damage at the start or end of a roll when I feel like I shouldn't be. Like I said, I feel so strongly about it that, for my new character, all my early souls went straight into adp to bring it up to an even 20, and I chose the explorer starting class to get the highest starting adp as well.

Mistel

Banned
I was in the Throne of Want and standing outside the fog gate. I summoned two helpers but realised they were NPCS so I used the black stone to banish them. The first went smoothly, but as I was banishing the second I was killed by Dark Magic and yet there were no enemies?!?! Any ideas?
There's an invisible phantom glitch I believe.
Thanks. I've got 25 adaptability. Is that enough to make a noticeable difference in the parry window?
It's a bit iffy in that respect as there is no concrete evidence but it will improve shield up speed which should make it easier I don't think it actually affects the window. For that you'd want a buckler, target shield or a monastery scimitar.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes it is possible but it is not a guaranteed drop. I see your going the way of the rolling parry I hope?
I'm not super clear on how that works, but I think so. I have a very parry-heavy playstyle.
It's a bit iffy in that respect as there is no concrete evidence but it will improve shield up speed which should make it easier I don't think it actually affects the window. For that you'd want a buckler, target shield or a monastery scimitar.
don't forget parrying dagger :p

Mistel

Banned
I'm not super clear on how that works, but I think so. I have a very parry-heavy playstyle.
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjF71-lMD5Y
Sorry for the musical choices of the uploader but it's with everyone's favorite monastery scimitar. Insta parry means you can do this.
With some practice you can pull it of consistently. Or if you don't like that the monastery scimitar has insta parry more or less you press the button and you parry.

Mistel

Banned
How often does the blacksmith restock titanite?
He will as you progress through the game you are best off getting to harvest valley for Chloanne who will sell infinite amounts after a certain point. Steelworkers in the area will also provide you with shards.

eot

Banned
The mad laugh of the bellkeeper dwarf makes a lot of sense after you've been in that covenant for a while. Never thought ganking would be that much fun!

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So, for DkS1 I used windowed mode with a borderless program, but with DkS2 it's giving me a small white border. So, I went on to dsfix. That worked fine, but now I'm stuck with black bars. (My monitor is 1680x1050) Also, the other bad thing about running it in windowed is the max resolution option the game gives me is 1600x900. Is it possible to eliminate the black bars?

edit: And of course now I'm just getting a white screen on launch when using dsfix. I found another borderless program that works, sucks that the resolution is lower, though. :/

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Why 1:45 is that the quickest for one of the earlier games?

Nope, just a reasonable time I'm givin' out. Anything more than 5 minutes would be huge and probably involve changing the route in some way. Even 3 minutes would be significant.

Garcia

Man, I'm trying to caestus solo the 3 Ruin Sentinels and the last 2 keep kicking my ass with their completely random plunging attack. The time it takes for them to jump and hit the ground is totally arbitrary and it fucks with my own synching; first time it was 1 second, then a fraction of a second and then half a second, wtf?

The first sentinel is gone in a matter of seconds. I bring the 2nd one down to 1/3 of his health in no time but as soon as I hit the ground to fight both, one of them decides to plunge attack and I keep doing the incorrect timing.

It doesn't help that I'm pretty much screwed because one hit = insta-death.

I'm sure I'll get it tonight (I've tried 3 times already) but man, it's the first time I've seen a boss throwing a randomly timed attack.

Holy shit, sorcery turned out to be devastating against
Darklurker
. Killed it on my third try and I've been trying to beat it for a while now with a STR build. Crystal Soul Spear just crushed its ass.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Holy shit, sorcery turned out to be devastating against
Darklurker
. Killed it on my third try and I've been trying to beat it for a while now with a STR build. Crystal Soul Spear just crushed its ass.

Ironically, Hexes destroyed him, I was afraid dark spells would be useless against it

Sober

After almost 48 hours I finished Dark Souls 2. As in I saw the ending. But I'm still missing a bunch of stuff like NPCs I didn't meet and apparently bosses I didn't fight. Should I just keep going and stumbling around?

Levyne

Banned
After almost 48 hours I finished Dark Souls 2. As in I saw the ending. But I'm still missing a bunch of stuff like NPCs I didn't meet and apparently bosses I didn't fight. Should I just keep going and stumbling around?

Yeah, that's what I like about this game, I got to the final boss without a guide (except for some help because I was lost at the Giant parts) and then use the wiki or some help to wrap up missed stuff before NG+. Glad this one has the "post game" built in.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How is that "all bosses". He skips like half of them. All the ones that are skippable.

Ropaire

Banned
In Iron Keep, in the first large open area I was able to use a lockstone and made a small pool of water...what's it do...?

Standing in it heals you and being wet temporarily raises your fire defense dramatically, assisting you in collecting those treasures on the molten lava platforms (in tandem with other fire defenses).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom