• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Nope, just a ring that keeps you from gaining Souls.

-_______-

Seriously? One of the major things people complain about and they left it in? I figured with Bloodborne going back to levels determining summons they conceded that Soul Memory was a terrible idea.

What is the actual benefit to Soul Memory? As far as I can tell the only thing it does is prevent me from playing with my friends who are the same level as me.

Bm19o3s.png

Come on, From. You aren't Capcom.

Beaulieu

how is the DLC implemented in this game ?

are these separate chapters from the main game or are they implemented in the world and ill come across them during my walkthrough ?

never played DS2 but loved DS1 btw.

Shiokazu

going to grab the game today, hope to find some gaffers around. I already decided the name of my character. going to be Amaterasu so, if you bump with any on dx11 version, leave a comment on my profile saying hello! i'll do the same.

good luck out there and take care, wouldn't want to see you guys turn hollow.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haha dat title!

Nice OT man!

KarmaCow

how is the DLC implemented in this game ?

are these separate chapters from the main game or are they implemented in the world and ill come across them during my walkthrough ?

never played DS2 but loved DS1 btw.

There are teleports to the new areas tucked away in areas you will have visited before if you played the game. They are pretty much impossible to miss on a fresh playthrough unless you like avoiding things.

I strongly disagree. I completely and utterly steamrolled BB boss fights. Most on the first try, and nearly all without having to bother learning what they actually do. There's only two (both optional) that make me actually consider what they're doing and what their movesets are. As long as you have enough HP, they can't really kill you because you get 20 of the healing item, and how much you heal for scales with your max HP.

Yeah, those enemies are horrible. It's a combination of it being grab, and it being an insta-kill. Just complete BS.

have any videos of you steamrolling every boss in BB on the first try?

Sanctuary

I call shenanigans on this. I faces blood starved beast 3 times and was only grabbed once due to my error. I want proof of hitbox issues because so far I've seen none.

I've killed him around eight times now due to new characters, and every time I've fought him except once, I died at least one time and it was always because of that grab, and I always expected it. If you are in melee range you cannot dodge it. Even when you dodge to the side it acts like a grab from Dark Souls 2 in that you have to have dodged before the animation starts or you're grabbed. You can *sometimes* parry it with the gun at a distance, but that too seems very random.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
OP looks wonderfull, great job.

Missed the DLC so there's enough to look forward to, but at the same time, I really don't want to put down $40 again...
And yet, i'm excited for Scholar of the First Sin. Which is weird, since i've had quite a lot of issues with Dark Souls II.
Still got all the achievements, though. And while Demon's Souls the strongest all-rounder, DSII might just be my favorite Souls game. Sometimes.
It's a bit incoherent but man, I do love Drangleic, and especially Majuala. Incredible atmosphere.

I just hope they've improved the hitboxes a bit.

Respect

-_______-

Seriously? One of the major things people complain about and they left it in? I figured with Bloodborne going back to levels determining summons they conceded that Soul Memory was a terrible idea.

What is the actual benefit to Soul Memory? As far as I can tell the only thing it does is prevent me from playing with my friends who are the same level as me.

I think it was implemented to prevent lvl SL 1 characters who are getting top gear and invading low level players, which wasn't even that big of deal...I got ganked a few times by those types in DaS 1, but it wasn't that common for me.

The cost to prevent it was far too high. Soul Memory is terrible and I wish it would have never been conceived. Ruined PvP for me, once I started getting into fast rolling havel mages constantly my time was done. Had soul memory not existed I probably would have played the game for another month easily and would have picked up the DLCs. Don't like having to give up a ring slot, but it is better than nothing I suppose.

I still don't know why soul memory could not just be ignored in NG+/beyond and only SL would be used from that point forward. Baffles me still.

Neoweee

I don't have videos, and it wasn't every boss, nor did I ever claim it was. Most if the required ones, though. Get vitality. Use one of the completely broken weapons. Abuse terrain. I know there's plenty of people that had the same experience.

After two playthroughs I still don't know what some bosses even do. Vitality is the best it has ever been, and most players that are struggling simply do not have enough, and aren't using the Tonitrus.

Are you accusing me of lying or something?

collige

Banned
What's the verdict on the new enemy placements? That's the only feature that's tempting me to double dip right now.

Derpyduck

Banned

The guy streaming last week did exactly what he said. Hell, he even easily beat bosses without fighting them the way they were designed to be fought. BB isn't all that difficult after you level up a bit. I'm having more issues with groups of regular mobs than I am with bosses.

Neoweee

The guy streaming last week did exactly what he said. Hell, he even easily beat bosses without fighting them the way they were designed to be fought. BB isn't all that difficult after you level up a bit. I'm having more issues with groups of regular mobs than I am with bosses.

Yup. In my first play through, I died more to crows and dogs than all bosses combined.

Seriously, making your healing scale with Max HP is bonkers, and makes pumping vitality insanely useful.

People moan about Dark Souls 2 fights, but I feel like I actually had to learn them, and that my build changed how I should fight them. That was't the case in the other games in the series, where I could just block everything, or heal through attacks, or use Iron Flesh. When I am playing a caster, bosses actually try to cover the distance so I can't just kite them forever.

There's a lot of great boss fights in Dark Souls 2, but people use the 7 or 8 of the 40 to paint it all as a bunch of repetitive human fights.

Mogwai

Yup. In my first play through, I died more to crows and dogs than all bosses combined.

Seriously, making your healing scale with Max HP is bonkers, and makes pumping vitality insanely useful.

Add the %HP scaling runes and the tank build is ready.

Shinjica

I think it was implemented to prevent lvl SL 1 characters who are getting top gear and invading low level players, which wasn't even that big of deal...I got ganked a few times by those types in DaS 1, but it wasn't that common for me.

The cost to prevent it was far too high. Soul Memory is terrible and I wish it would have never been conceived. Ruined PvP for me, once I started getting into fast rolling havel mages constantly my time was done. Had soul memory not existed I probably would have played the game for another month easily and would have picked up the DLCs. Don't like having to give up a ring slot, but it is better than nothing I suppose.

I still don't know why soul memory could not just be ignored in NG+/beyond and only SL would be used from that point forward. Baffles me still.

People complained about the PVP in Dark Souls so they make some change, like the fact that you cannot purchase cracked red orbs in NG

Respect

People complained about the PVP in Dark Souls so they make some change, like the fact that you cannot purchase cracked red orbs in NG

Now that you mention it, I will have to join the invasion cult from that little gnome. Would rather be a police bro, but that costs souls which I won't be getting...lame.

Unless was that changed? I know it used to cost souls to buy the item for the blue bros to invade, but the red bros had an item with unlimited use for invasions.

Mogwai

The only good thing about Soul Memory is the fact that DS2 is jam-packed with Soul Vessels. At least that give people a little incentive to start a new character.

A perfect case of two minus equals plus.

Shinjica

Now that you mention it, I will have to join the invasion cult from that little gnome. Would rather be a police bro, but that costs souls which I won't be getting...lame.

Unless was that changed? I know it used to cost souls to buy the item for the blue bros to invade, but the red bros had an item with unlimited use for invasions.

In dark souls 2 the item that you can use for invade other an unlimited time dont exist, only in the first game.

People moan about Dark Souls 2 fights, but I feel like I actually had to learn them, and that my build changed how I should fight them. That was't the case in the other games in the series, where I could just block everything, or heal through attacks, or use Iron Flesh. When I am playing a caster, bosses actually try to cover the distance so I can't just kite them forever.

There's a lot of great boss fights in Dark Souls 2, but people use the 7 or 8 of the 40 to paint it all as a bunch of repetitive human fights.

I feel like this is just one of those things people have different experiences with. Most of the boss fights for me in DS2 were just as you mentioned, I beat them on the first try and they weren't very difficult (aside from a few). I struggled more with the initial three giant knight encounter in Heides Tower of Flame then I did any of the bosses in the game. It definitely had the weakest bosses in the series for me, primarily from a design/inspirational point of view. Haven't played the DLC though and I've heard fantastic things about that.

Soul Memory was put in the game to combat twinkers? That was such a non-issue outside of a few odd invasions when I first started the game. Sucks that something so small can ruin an entire multiplayer experience.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Blood-Starved Beast grab says hi. You cannot dodge it if you're in melee range. You have to actually be dodging before it even initiates. I guess you aren't actually talking so much about mechanics as you are how it actually looks on screen, but Bloodborne has the worst hitbox issues so far of the four Souls games. Considering how bad they were in Dark Souls 2, that's saying a lot.

Did we play the same game?

There are teleports to the new areas tucked away in areas you will have visited before if you played the game. They are pretty much impossible to miss on a fresh playthrough unless you like avoiding things.

Would you consider it ok to do the various DLC as your playing the campaign though or wait till the end?

So I'm guessing there's no steam store page yet as to keep the extremely minor (or non existent?) PC graphical upgrades hidden until right before release?

borborygmus

* I read somewhere (in a previous thread maybe) that the hitboxes and animations would not be improved in the upcoming re-release of the game. What's the latest word on this?

* Are there any impressions about the new enemy placement that I could read?

Thanks.

Buburibon

So I'm guessing there's no steam store page yet as to keep the extremely minor (or non existent?) PC graphical upgrades hidden until right before release?

They're definitely not eager to show off the "upgrades." That's for sure. ;-) But yeah, I don't think there will be any substantial upgrades to speak of, unfortunately.

I've killed him around eight times now due to new characters, and every time I've fought him except once, I died at least one time and it was always because of that grab, and I always expected it. If you are in melee range you cannot dodge it. Even when you dodge to the side it acts like a grab from Dark Souls 2 in that you have to have dodged before the animation starts or you're grabbed. You can *sometimes* parry it with the gun at a distance, but that too seems very random.

grab is so easy to avoid. your game must be broken

VinFTW

Put about 300 hours into this game on pc. 3 different characters, ng++++++

Stil gonna get this just to have it for my ps4 and start fresh and play through cooping with my bro.

I'm curious though, how does this run on xb1?

Kapow

Is this game not available digitally on PS4 or something? Can't find it on the store and nothing comes up through a google search either...

Zophar

So odd that people are downplaying twinkers. Ganking and minmaxing twinkers were huge sore spots in DeS and DkS1. Some weird revisionism going on here. Soul Memory probably wasn't the best solution, but to say it wasn't a problem is a little silly.

Honestly the worst part of the predecessors was that you could level up so much further than necessary, and having PVP tied to level meant the community adopting a courtesy level cap. The better solution would have been to put in a hard level cap. It would have encouraged respeccing and unique builds better than Soul Memory has.

Top Bottom