• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Tarkus

Thanks a lot!

I noticed that smith's daughter also sells them but in a limited supply.

I killed another Armored Knight Boss (#876234 in the game...) and finally met Vendrick. Huh. Interesting.
Her supply becomes unlimited once you reach a certain milestone.
You just have to beat the queen, not turn over to ng+

Dresden

Is it worse than it seems? Cause it seems awful. Is there just no more bonfires in there? I've gone what I feel is pretty far into the "Dragon's Whatever" area of that place, into a place with spiky floors and those invisible/ghost guys chasing me and a lady shooting Dark Orbs at me from above and I can't take it anymore. There's so many enemies and they are really annoying to kill as a hexer.

Yeah, the DLC is very unforgiving for casters. They messed up there.

There's one inside the pyramid but it does take some searching - you're very close to it if you got to the spiky floors, make sure you look up at ceilings for switches and stuff.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Yeah, the DLC is very unforgiving for casters. They messed up there.

There's one inside the pyramid but it does take some searching - you're very close to it if you got to the spiky floors, make sure you look up at ceilings for switches and stuff.

It's really hard for me to explore in there with the ghost guys. I guess they have tombs somewhere that I can destroy to make them vulnerable like the first pair I killed, but I haven't been able to find them yet. Most of my exploration down there has been via suicide runs just to grab what I can before I leave yet another bloodstain. That place has been VERY punishing. I've gotten so far past the point where I want to slowly/methodically clear it like I do with the rest of the game. I just want it to be over with. It's not fun. It has actually killed all momentum I had playing the game over the last two days.

ed: you know, I think the WORST part about this is that these enemies are literally a sliver of HP away from dying after 3 Dark Orb casts or 3 of Fire Longsword swings. That sliver of HP they have left is enough to require ONE more hit from each method of attack, which sounds like so little, but it's such a pain in the ass. I've tried every combination of rings I have to push my int/weapon damage high enough to kill them in 3 orbs or 3 swings, but it's not possible. Maybe I could go reinforce a different weapon up to +10 and come back with something higher damage. That fire longsword has been the only melee weapon I've used since I got it and it's been fine for everything else

Tarkus

It's really hard for me to explore in there with the ghost guys. I guess they have tombs somewhere that I can destroy to make them vulnerable like the first pair I killed, but I haven't been able to find them yet. Most of my exploration down there has been via suicide runs just to grab what I can before I leave yet another bloodstain. That place has been VERY punishing. I've gotten so far past the point where I want to slowly/methodically clear it like I do with the rest of the game. I just want it to be over with. It's not fun. It has actually killed all momentum I had playing the game over the last two days.

ed: you know, I think the WORST part about this is that these enemies are literally a sliver of HP away from dying after 3 Dark Orb casts or 3 of Fire Longsword swings. That sliver of HP they have left is enough to require ONE more hit from each method of attack, which sounds like so little, but it's such a pain in the ass. I've tried every combination of rings I have to push my int/weapon damage high enough to kill them in 3 orbs or 3 swings, but it's not possible. Maybe I could go reinforce a different weapon up to +10 and come back with something higher damage. That fire longsword has been the only melee weapon I've used since I got it and it's been fine for everything else
If you've got some Soul Vessels, it's really nothing to respec to get through the DLC and then respec back to hexer. You should have at least 10 by this point.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Ok I'm making progress in Shulva now. I've at least found the 2nd bonfire which will make my suicide runs into Dragon's Sanctum faster.

I went and made a +10 magic mace and it's a slower attack, but it only takes 3 swings or 1 backstab and enemies in here die now, which is great compared to 4 swings or 2 crits.

This area is actually really cool with all these puzzle-y switches. I just wish I wasn't having so much difficulty with the bevy of enemies.

Manu

This area is actually really cool with all these puzzle-y switches. I just wish I wasn't having so much difficulty with the bevy of enemies.

c6249_ORIG-jack_nicholson_nodding.gif

zsswimmer

Was loving this Winter based DLC until I got to The Old Chaos. Even with 2 summons most of the time we don't even make it to the boss itself. Any particular tactics for this one? Like good weapons or whatever. Seems like such a cheap boss

Manu

Was loving this Winter based DLC until I got to The Old Chaos. Even with 2 summons most of the time we don't even make it to the boss itself. Any particular tactics for this one? Like good weapons or whatever. Seems like such a cheap boss

You're not supposed to tackle that fight until you're released the Loyce Knights that are scattered through the map.

There's four in total (or was it five?), they'll help you during the boss battle.

zsswimmer

You're not supposed to tackle that fight until you're released the Loyce Knights that are scattered through the map.

There's four in total (or was it five?), they'll help you during the boss battle.

Oh I didnt realize that, I saw one knight fighting with me and wondered who it was, that makes sense though. How do you release them? I didnt even know I had freed the one guy who did join in.

Manu

Oh I didnt realize that, I saw one knight fighting with me and wondered who it was, that makes sense though. How do you release them? I didnt even know I had freed the one guy who did join in.

You just have to find them. If there was one already fighting with you it's because at some point you stumbled upon one of them, sitting in a chair behind a locked door, and he bowed to you before disappearing. Now you just need to do the same for the rest of them.

Ugh... I just killed my first NPC in a Souls game since Mephistopheles in Demon's. The guy in Undead Crypt warned me about "not lighting the fire" but I wanted to see his reaction when I come to him with a torch. And it happend. Luckily I bought some stuff from him before he attacked me (Ring of Thorns +1 and something else). Hoepfully his role is very minor in this game...

Brakke

Banned
He's a NPC summon and he sells some stuff but he's not a Big Deal.

I vaguely remember this game having some mechanic where dead NPCs leave tombstones *somewhere* that you can go to to use their services after they're dead? But I never killed anyone on accident so I don't really know how that works...

Ugh... I just killed my first NPC in a Souls game since Mephistopheles in Demon's. The guy in Undead Crypt warned me about "not lighting the fire" but I wanted to see his reaction when I come to him with a torch. And it happend. Luckily I bought some stuff from him before he attacked me (Ring of Thorns +1 and something else). Hoepfully his role is very minor in this game...

I vaguely remember this game having some mechanic where dead NPCs leave tombstones *somewhere* that you can go to to use their services after they're dead? But I never killed anyone on accident so I don't really know how that works...

About eight hours later (I think) a tombstone should appear where they would normally be standing. It costs souls every time to speak with them but as far as I know you can basically treat them like a normal NPC despite them being dead.

LiQuid!

I finally lit the first bonfire in Dragon's Sanctum (over the spiky floor rooms) and I honest to god just felt my blood pressure drop 20 points. I don't know how that would have even been possible to do without making half dozen suicide runs to the large room with all the ghost armors that you need to break to make those fucks tangible.

This has been almost a full week on on-again, off-again, white knuckle, maximum frustration gaming trying to crack the nut that is this god damned DLC. I've lost at least 200k souls in this place so far.

I really hope the rest of the DLCs aren't as annoying as this place.

Yeah that's exactly what happens. You pay a fee to the tombstone and then you can still buy stuff. Not sure if that's ubiquitous among all NPCs though

I finally lit the first bonfire in Dragon's Sanctum (over the spiky floor rooms) and I honest to god just felt my blood pressure drop 20 points. I don't know how that would have even been possible to do without making half dozen suicide runs to the large room with all the ghost armors that you need to break to make those fucks tangible.

This has been almost a full week on on-again, off-again, white knuckle, maximum frustration gaming trying to crack the nut that is this god damned DLC. I've lost at least 200k souls in this place so far.

I really hope the rest of the DLCs aren't as annoying as this place.

Crazy how everyone struggles in different parts of the game. The first time I ran through there I wasn't really feeling it either. I just baited the ghosts in and out of that room. If you can get them to fall down on the first level it makes it a lot easier. That and some of them won't chase you out. It's really just a matter of enemy management, patience and a bit of luck. Oh, and having some form of range attack helps.

I can't think of any particular place that is of a similar fashion that would give you as much trouble off hand. Hopefully not as I hate seeing you guys on here getting frustrated at the game. I don't have any problems with hardly any bosses or areas in this game anymore. But I attribute that to the 150+ hours on SotFS on X1 and 525+ on 360.

The game doesn't have to end when you kill Nash.

Yes, i know that :) But i heard something about being able to choose
not to sit on the throne
. Can i make that choice if i never enter the DLC areas? Or have i been misinformed?

Edit: I should probably have prefaced this by saying that i did finish DS2 a couple of times on the ps3 but i never got the DLC because i was waiting for the inevitable GOTY version.

Throne Room boss battle is the best boss fight in this game so far, holy shit.

1) The approach is amazing... like wow. Incredible atmosphere.
2) The lore is amazing - bottom of The Drangleic Castle, two defenders of the Throne, closed behing King's Gate.
3) They look amazing, really now, even better than Veldstadt.
4) Lightning enhancement meaning no turtling.
5) They raise each other (tested) after being killed. (allows for a cheap kill during the raising animation if you have Great Magic Weapon + tons of Stamina ;P (tested, ha!))
6) They attack relentlessly most of the time both at the same time meaning you eat not 3 but 6 combo hits (ROLL MOTHERFUCKER!)
7) You can roll back and fall down... tested
8) You can roll to the side and fall down, also tested

Best boss battle since The Pursuer, holy fucking shit. My heart was racing all the time. I did it and now I recognize this area from ... game's outro that I saw on YT years ago. Yeah, lol.
The statues will rise and form a bridge etc.

:bow Form Software :bow

Dresden

Yes, i know that :) But i heard something about being able to choose
not to sit on the throne
. Can i make that choice if i never enter the DLC areas? Or have i been misinformed?

Edit: I should probably have prefaced this by saying that i did finish DS2 a couple of times on the ps3 but i never got the DLC because i was waiting for the inevitable GOTY version.

To get the new ending you have to either
leave Nashandra alive until the dlc are done, or just burn an ascetic to refresh the fight.

LiQuid!

Crazy how everyone struggles in different parts of the game. The first time I ran through there I wasn't really feeling it either. I just baited the ghosts in and out of that room. If you can get them to fall down on the first level it makes it a lot easier. That and some of them won't chase you out. It's really just a matter of enemy management, patience and a bit of luck. Oh, and having some form of range attack helps.

I can't think of any particular place that is of a similar fashion that would give you as much trouble off hand. Hopefully not as I hate seeing you guys on here getting frustrated at the game. I don't have any problems with hardly any bosses or areas in this game anymore. But I attribute that to the 150+ hours on SotFS on X1 and 525+ on 360.

To be fair, I might be being a bit melodramatic. Up until this DLC this game has by and large been vastly less challenging than Dark Souls 1, and to have such a drastic spike in difficulty is kind of jarring. In hindsight I'm not sure I'd say this place has been much more difficult than say my first trip thru Blighttown, or trying to pass the snipers in Anor Londo. It has been fun and rewarding to explore.

I just beat the first boss in here, who happened to take practically zero damage from my hexes, so yay, yet another way the class I decided to play the entire game as getting fucked by design decisions, but whatever, I had enough summon help that I was able to pass it in a few tries.

jb1234

To be fair, I might be being a bit melodramatic. Up until this DLC this game has by and large been vastly less challenging than Dark Souls 1, and to have such a drastic spike in difficulty is kind of jarring. In hindsight I'm not sure I'd say this place has been much more difficult than say my first trip thru Blighttown, or trying to pass the snipers in Anor Londo. It has been fun and rewarding to explore.

I just beat the first boss in here, who happened to take practically zero damage from my hexes, so yay, yet another way the class I decided to play the entire game as getting fucked by design decisions, but whatever, I had enough summon help that I was able to pass it in a few tries.

I don't know. After bashing my head repeatedly against the bosses in DLC #2 and #3 last night, I think it's time for me to move on. I can't beat them and I'm just not having fun.

LiQuid!

Are you doing it solo or summoning? I actually don't think it would have been possible for me to solo the two bosses i just killed. They simply had too much health and my attacks were doing such little damage.

edit: hey, so having just beat that dragon. I notice that there's an entire bonfire that I missed in Shulva proper (the third one), so I know there's places there I haven't explored yet, so I might come back later. Sometime in the last week, my travel menu has started showing blank-ish spaces for all the areas and specific bonfires that I haven't been to yet. Anybody know what caused this?

jb1234

Are you doing it solo or summoning? I actually don't think it would have been possible for me to solo the two bosses i just killed. They simply had too much health and my attacks were doing such little damage.

I gave in last night and tried summoning for the first time in the series. It didn't particularly help. The NPCs don't have a lot of health and it buffs up the bosses even more. I might have better luck with actual players helping me out but I don't know.

I might try DLC #1 first before giving in. I was having crash issues with it before.

Sometime in the last week, my travel menu has started showing blank-ish spaces for all the areas and specific bonfires that I haven't been to yet. Anybody know what caused this?

It happens when you talk to Nashandra in the castle for the first time. I'm not sure why, though. It's sorta random.

LiQuid!

I wonder if I hadn't summoned 2 NPCs and 1 player for Sinh if I wouldn't have been doing such pitiful damage to him. I guess I should have tried it a few times solo before I started summoning to compare if nothing else.

Brakke

Banned
The Iron Hallway is a fucking nightmare. Literal gauntlet goddamn.

I've been summoned in a couple times and that's frustrating. Other players always bring in the two NPCs, too. Bros. you're just making the boss tougher for two clowns who won't pull their weight...

Fuck Soul Memory.

I am currently in my first playthrough. Besides the DLC, I have the Giant memories left, Vendrick and the last boss. I have 2,083,323 of Soul Memory. I practically never see summon signs anymore. I am trying to go up in rank in the Sun covenant and it is frustrating.

Does anyone have any tips for me ?

LiQuid!

Fuck Soul Memory.

I am currently in my first playthrough. Besides the DLC, I have the Giant memories left, Vendrick and the last boss. I have 2,083,323 of Soul Memory. I practically never see summon signs anymore. I am trying to go up in rank in the Sun covenant and it is frustrating.

After I killed Sinh I threw down summon sign and killed him 2 more times as a sunbro and got summoned pretty quick. So I'd say try DLC bosses maybe?

MUnited83

For you.
To get the new ending you have to either
leave Nashandra alive until the dlc are done, or just burn an ascetic to refresh the fight.

I don't think is correct, is it?
You just have to find Aldia three times and then defeat Vendrick with the giant souls. You don't even need to enter any of the dlcs.

Although doing the dlcs before makes a lot more sense lore-wise.

NinjaBoiX

So I'm after the Covetous Gold Serpents Ring so I can try and snag a Black Steel Katana in the Iron Keep. I've just watched a YouTube video that was specifically marked as "Scholar of the First Sin" and it seemed to imply you can get it as a gift for spending so many Souls from the merchant near the start. Is that true?

I know you can get it later in the level too but if I can get it here all the better.

Also, does item discovery stack? I currently have the jesters hat on and am using rusted coins but to no avail!

Edit: GOT IT!

npPIo.gif

Draper

So Bloodborne has been platinum'd, and I'm currently burnt out on The Witcher...thinking about picking this up.

Blah, I'm crazy indecisive.

Tarkus

Also, does item discovery stack? I currently have the jesters hat on and am using rusted coins but to no avail!

Edit: GOT IT!
Some people say it does and some say it doesn't; no one really knows. All anyone can provide you with is anecdotal evidence. I read a reddit post once where a guy tried every combination of item discovery gear and statistically analyze the results. IIRC, there wasn't much difference between the combos of gear but he was flawed in his analysis.

Personally, I haven't seen the difference in wearing one piece of item discovery gear/coin vs multiple pieces. My opinion: item discovery gear doesn't stack

Bossun

So after doing the sunken king and defeating Sinh, I'm now doing the iron king, and all I wanna say is fuck those new DLC areas. They did a pretty awesome job on the original game, with the enemies placement and all, but the new areas are just like "let's put 6 enemies close together and let you deal with it" This is so frustrating...

gogosox82

So is there a better sword than this?
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Arced+Sword

I have a str/dex build going on, and I was using the bastard sword +10 for a long time.. until I came upon this gem. can I do better?

Curved Dragon Greatsword. Its basically the Arced Sword but better. But its a late game weapon and it uses petrified dragon bones.

Have any of you managed to get an Ice Rapier in that last DLC ? I have the gold ring equipped but have not gotten one yet. :/

Just got to that place the other day and already have 2 of them. Think your just unlucky. They usually drop pretty frequently from my experience.

Fuck Soul Memory.

Use the agape ring? The ring will collect all of the souls so your sm won't go up but you also won't get any souls either so there's that.

Got my Blacksteel Katana eventually, got it up to +8, snagged a sweet Alonne Knight armour set, 'twas a good Souls day!

Nice. You should up your vit though. 10 is quite low. I'm usually around 20-30.

So after doing the sunken king and defeating Sinh, I'm now doing the iron king, and all I wanna say is fuck those new DLC areas. They did a pretty awesome job on the original game, with the enemies placement and all, but the new areas are just like "let's put 6 enemies close together and let you deal with it" This is so frustrating...

If you didn't like the sunken king did this, then you are going to hate the other two dlcs because they do it more frequently and its more annoying because the enemies do so much damage ( like getting 2 shot on 1400 hp build on ng).

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hey guys, so i just started the first dark souls as a wanderer class.

What are the skills to focus on leveling? My research has told me VIT, DEX, and to a lesser degree END and STR are the best? Any other advice?

Hey guys, so i just started the first dark souls as a wanderer class.

What are the skills to focus on leveling? My research has told me VIT, DEX, and to a lesser degree END and STR are the best? Any other advice?

ADP which will result in increasing your AGL aka increasing iframes during rolling.

LiQuid!

Your "class" doesn't dictate what you should be leveling. It's just a guideline to start you off and your set of starting gear. Level up whatever you want. If you want to cast some spells, level some INT and attunement. If you're playing a melee focused character focus on either STR or DEX depending on which type of weaponry you prefer and/or need to meet usage requirements. Then get a healthy HP and stamina pool.

My first Dark Souls character was a melee character that focused on DEX weapons, but by NG+ I had STR and DEX both at 40 and switched around between about a half dozen different weapons depending on the situation.

Brakke

Banned
Holy shit finally beat the DLC smelter demon rematch. What a nightmare that little zone is. The summons are a trap! Don't give that boss any extra health...

Brakke

Banned
Uhhh so Fume Knight is kind of A Thing, huh? Seems like another case of NPC summons being a trap.

He's so close to easy? Like I have a good feel for his patterns and I can do his two-sword form v easy. But in flamesword form I either dodge perfectly and fail to make attacks, or make attacks and get punished. Dude just gives zero margin for error.

I'm rocking a battle axe with that big heavy off-the-shoulder swing. I might have to pull a faster weapon out of storage, improve it, and train with it.

LiQuid!

Anybody wanna nudge me in the direction of any of the other DLC? I have a lot of the items I think that open up the doors to them, but I don't really remember where any of the shrines are. The only one I did so far was the one in Black Gulch.

Uhhh so Fume Knight is kind of A Thing, huh? Seems like another case of NPC summons being a trap.

He's so close to easy? Like I have a good feel for his patterns and I can do his two-sword form v easy. But in flamesword form I either dodge perfectly and fail to make attacks, or make attacks and get punished. Dude just gives zero margin for error.

I'm rocking a battle axe with that big heavy off-the-shoulder swing. I might have to pull a faster weapon out of storage, improve it, and train with it.

this is where i'm kind of at with him at this point. i'm two-handing a dragon tooth. it may just be too slow. leaves me way too vulnerable

Top Bottom