• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Uhhh so Fume Knight is kind of A Thing, huh? Seems like another case of NPC summons being a trap.

He's so close to easy? Like I have a good feel for his patterns and I can do his two-sword form v easy. But in flamesword form I either dodge perfectly and fail to make attacks, or make attacks and get punished. Dude just gives zero margin for error.

I'm rocking a battle axe with that big heavy off-the-shoulder swing. I might have to pull a faster weapon out of storage, improve it, and train with it.

It's definitely doable with a slower weapon but I found Fume Knight to be an absolute pushover when using a fast weapon.

A question for you and GreyOcelot: Have you both destroyed all of the healing zones outside the boss area?

Anybody wanna nudge me in the direction of any of the other DLC? I have a lot of the items I think that open up the doors to them, but I don't really remember where any of the shrines are. The only one I did so far was the one in Black Gulch.

Old Iron King
between Shaded Woods and Drangleic Castle
The Rotten

Brakke

Banned
Yeah I stabbed those Nadalia things.

I'm so close to taking down the Fume Knight, which is what makes it tough. I *could* go reshape myself to just disassemble him, but now there's a pride (hubris) about wanting to get him got like I am now.

The big trick is that pulse attack he does. I'm always close to him when it starts and usually my stamina is low so I can't run. So I just have to eat that attack on my shield, which still does a big chunk of damage. Then it takes a couple attack cycles to get a chance to heal it off. Maybe I'll try eating some fire resistance item next time.

It's definitely doable with a slower weapon but I found Fume Knight to be an absolute pushover when using a fast weapon.

A question for you and GreyOcelot: Have you both destroyed all of the healing zones outside the boss area?

yeah, i guess i just haven't gotten the timing down when he switches to the long, burning sword

Maridia

Yeah I stabbed those Nadalia things.

I'm so close to taking down the Fume Knight, which is what makes it tough. I *could* go reshape myself to just disassemble him, but now there's a pride (hubris) about wanting to get him got like I am now.

The big trick is that pulse attack he does. I'm always close to him when it starts and usually my stamina is low so I can't run. So I just have to eat that attack on my shield, which still does a big chunk of damage. Then it takes a couple attack cycles to get a chance to heal it off. Maybe I'll try eating some fire resistance item next time.

I would suggest two-handing your weapon and not using a shield. His AoE attack is unique in that it's comprised of small projectiles instead of a solid pulse; to avoid it you just need to get far enough away that you can safely position yourself between projectiles. You shouldn't be taking any damage from it; you'll need your healing items for when he sticks a delay into his combo attacks.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm doing this 2nd DLC now (Brume Tower?) and I'm realizing now why I hate Dark Souls 2. Did the first Dark Souls ever do this thing where it spawns enemies out of freaking nowhere? I'm wracking my brain and I can't think of anything specifically outside things like ghosts in New Londo which were just able to phase thru walls.

Dark Souls 2 has been doing this since the beginning and it's especially worse in here. You look into a room or area where there are no monsters. Then you go in and BOOM there's 4 monsters. They pop out of the floor. They pop out of the walls. They jump down out of the rafters. It's fucking monsterpalooza where it used to just be a benign looking room with one or two guys in it. It's god damned infuriating. It's cheap encounter design made to make the game trial and error instead of rewarding of patience and thoroughness.

Brakke

Banned
Off the top of my head, Dark Souls had those tree monsters that would stand up behind you sometimes.

Old Iron King zone is pretty clear about when there might be sneaky monsters. They climb up out of piles of ash or they are scattered armor that animates when you get near. The only cheap-o guy I thought was the one that jumps out of the wall.

jb1234

I'm doing this 2nd DLC now (Brume Tower?) and I'm realizing now why I hate Dark Souls 2. Did the first Dark Souls ever do this thing where it spawns enemies out of freaking nowhere? I'm wracking my brain and I can't think of anything specifically outside things like ghosts in New Londo which were just able to phase thru walls.

Dark Souls 2 has been doing this since the beginning and it's especially worse in here. You look into a room or area where there are no monsters. Then you go in and BOOM there's 4 monsters. They pop out of the floor. They pop out of the walls. They jump down out of the rafters. It's fucking monsterpalooza where it used to just be a benign looking room with one or two guys in it. It's god damned infuriating. It's cheap encounter design made to make the game trial and error instead of rewarding of patience and thoroughness.

I'm not sure I'd say that's DS2's problem. Now random clumps of enemies that chase after you when the engine is really only designed for one on one combat? That's definitely a problem with DS2.

The only cheap-o guy I thought was the one that jumps out of the wall.
Yeah, that one really got me seething, especially after all the attempts it took me to get to that point. AFAIK, there's no real visual indication for that guy, and the only reason I survived was because I was being way overcautious due to everything else up to that point.

zsswimmer

I'm digging the Shulva city DLC. Besides Shulva, and the icey place I'm forgetting, is there another city to go to for the DLC? They're challenging but I do like how big the settings are.

Having fun switching between this and Demons Souls. Surprisingly still has some coop and random invasions. I invaded a guy today and caused him to attack one of the NPC merchants at the beginning of the level lol, got him aggro'd , not sure if the NPC stays that way after an invader kills or not. Thought it was pretty funny though cause he kept running into circles and finally I stood behind the npc and let him shoot me with some magic

Kevyt

Having fun switching between this and Demons Souls. Surprisingly still has some coop and random invasions. I invaded a guy today and caused him to attack one of the NPC merchants at the beginning of the level lol, got him aggro'd , not sure if the NPC stays that way after an invader kills or not. Thought it was pretty funny though cause he kept running into circles and finally I stood behind the npc and let him shoot me with some magic

Was that in Demon's Souls?

lol

Merchants and NPC's will stay hostile throughout the whole game... xD

zsswimmer

Yea it was in demon souls, the 2nd level on the world with all the skeletons, that merchant right there lol. He shot him twice and then the merchant helped me during the fight lol, it was such a dick move but hilarous at the same time

And I've gotten invaded about 3 times in the past 15 minutes or so, this is quite awesome I have say

jb1234

I'm digging the Shulva city DLC. Besides Shulva, and the icey place I'm forgetting, is there another city to go to for the DLC? They're challenging but I do like how big the settings are.

There's three DLC locations. Brume Tower is #2. Can't remember if the entrance is at the end of Iron Keep or Black Gulch.

Brakke

Banned
Goddamn yes, bite me, Fume Knight. Bite me forever!

So satisfying.

I think that just about does it for Crown of the Old Iron King (since I have it...) but also im not done with Soul of Nadalia. There's at least one more firey idol but I'm out of stakes... Also there's a pointless bonfire at a dead end at the top? Do I need the thing that lets you into giant memories or something? There's a big smoldering armor set by the bonfire.

I might just go on to the Aerie either way. Want to push my weapons over the top, I remember the Aerie has lots of Crystal Lizards.

Daante

Even though i originally stated that i would not touch this game again (and that it was a solid 7/10, with the DLC 8/10), after i had beat the DLC on PC the first time, i caved in and bought it on PSN to my PS4, cause it was such a good price. Currently quite far into Bloodborne but not liking it as much as i thought i would , i will most likely return to this game once again after i finished Bloodborne.

I am only interested in PVE and NG+, what would you say is a good viable build?

I played a STR build previous with a bit of pyromancy involved (wtich was fine) ,and a all in mage build (witch was useless in the DLC and did not do any dmg to enemies there).

I found this on reddit, comments are appreciated

"40str/40dex quality build, RobFlynnStone, Sacred Oath, 100 agility.

+10 Rapier + Resin + Leo Ring for bosses, +10 Large/Great Club for NPC invaders, bow for Shrine of Amana.

You level strength as well as dexterity up to 40. Both stats have a soft cap there, meaning putting more points in those after that results in significantly diminished returns.

RoB = Ring of Blades (+50 dmg on physical weapons), Flynn's Ring (+50 dmg on physical weapons if your total maximum equip burden is 60 units or less), Stone Ring (+30 poise dmg, so you can stagger enemies easier).

Sacred Oath is a miracle that gives you +50 dmg on physical attacks and +75 physical defense for 60 seconds.

100 agility (affected by leveling adaptability and attunement) results in 12 invincibility frames on dodge rolls and 7 iframes on backsteps (important for evading attacks from mobs and bosses).

Rapier as a thrusting weapon gains a 12.5% dmg bonus on counter attacks (meaning you attack for example a boss during his attack animation or shortly after when he is in the recovery animation) when you use the Leo Ring on top of the 1.4 multiplier the Rapier has to begin with. Great Hammer class weapons have a "pancake" attack on their two-handed R2 attacks which incapacitates NPC invaders, and you can time it so that you hit them again immediately after they stand up from the last pancake.

Bow for Amana should be obvious, I guess. If not: Fuck those spell casters, shoot them with arrows from a distance."

Even though i originally stated that i would not touch this game again (and that it was a solid 7/10, with the DLC 8/10), after i had beat the DLC on PC the first time, i caved in and bought it on PSN to my PS4, cause it was such a good price. Currently quite far into Bloodborne but not liking it as much as i thought i would , i will most likely return to this game once again after i finished Bloodborne.

I played a STR build previous with a bit of pyromancy involved (wtich was fine) ,and a all in mage build (witch was useless in the DLC and did not do any dmg to enemies there).

+10 Rapier + Resin + Leo Ring for bosses, +10 Large/Great Club for NPC invaders, bow for Shrine of Amana.

You level strength as well as dexterity up to 40. Both stats have a soft cap there, meaning putting more points in those after that results in significantly diminished returns.

RoB = Ring of Blades (+50 dmg on physical weapons), Flynn's Ring (+50 dmg on physical weapons if your total maximum equip burden is 60 units or less), Stone Ring (+30 poise dmg, so you can stagger enemies easier).

Sacred Oath is a miracle that gives you +50 dmg on physical attacks and +75 physical defense for 60 seconds.

100 agility (affected by leveling adaptability and attunement) results in 12 invincibility frames on dodge rolls and 7 iframes on backsteps (important for evading attacks from mobs and bosses).

Rapier as a thrusting weapon gains a 12.5% dmg bonus on counter attacks (meaning you attack for example a boss during his attack animation or shortly after when he is in the recovery animation) when you use the Leo Ring on top of the 1.4 multiplier the Rapier has to begin with. Great Hammer class weapons have a "pancake" attack on their two-handed R2 attacks which incapacitates NPC invaders, and you can time it so that you hit them again immediately after they stand up from the last pancake.

Bow for Amana should be obvious, I guess. If not: Fuck those spell casters, shoot them with arrows from a distance."

This is good. I'm restarting and I'll be grabbing the warped sword early on and eventually pairing it with a katana. I just really like the movesets.

I love dex builds, but never thought to use the stone ring.

Holy shit I cannot believe what crazy order of events just happened to me:

So I killed The Dragon (veeeeeeeeeeeeeery long pure melee fight, 11 Estus and 4 Lifegems used) and because I think the
Reaper Lady
is the last boss I decided to wrap things up starting from the Stone Statues.

I decided to unstone the "worst to get to" Stone Statues first so I began with The Black Gulch one. I start from the Black Gulch Mouth bfire and make a run towards the statue. You know how in the middle of the run there is a moment where two Giant Worms come out of the cave walls? I always roll ahead just in time for them to miss me. This time I fumbled and rolled off the cliff to my death...

...or so I thought. I landed on a platform with a white, locked door I've seen some times before! How crazy is that? Of course I could not open the door so I squinted my eyes (no torch) and tried to understand if you can somehow get back up from this stone shelf (you cannot in the same situation in Dragon Aerie for example). I dropped to the right, then to the left and bingo. I can follow up a tunnel to a huge room with... living Giants ?!? How crazy is that! I killed them (I got used to fighting Giants in the Memories) and they drop a Forgotten Key! I check one room and miss the cage elevator and fall to my death. I try to get there once again because I noticed a soul jar in the cage room. I drop to the stone shelf with the white door... and the fucking key opens them! HOW CRAZY IS THAT?

Long story short ---> I got the Havel's set and can wear Havel's Armor + Havel's Leggins + Drangleic Gauntlets + Drangleic Shield and have 48.2% encumberance!!! Need only 4 VIT more and I can replace Drangleic Gauntlets with Havel's!

This game is crazy when you play it without any FAQs. You can be surprised like never before!

Got to unstone all the other statues now (besides the worthless ones in Aldia's Keep and Dragon Aerie for example).Oh and I went back to The Black Gulch and unstoned the statue there... there was a bonfire behind it!

zsswimmer

Holy shit I cannot believe what crazy order of events just happened to me:

So I killed The Dragon (veeeeeeeeeeeeeery long pure melee fight, 11 Estus and 4 Lifegems used) and because I think the
Reaper Lady
is the last boss I decided to wrap things up starting from the Stone Statues.

I decided to unstone the "worst to get to" Stone Statues first so I began with The Black Gulch one. I start from the Black Gulch Mouth bfire and make a run towards the statue. You know how in the middle of the run there is a moment where two Giant Worms come out of the cave walls? I always roll ahead just in time for them to miss me. This time I fumbled and rolled off the cliff to my death...

...or so I thought. I landed on a platform with a white, locked door I've seen some times before! How crazy is that? Of course I could not open the door so I squinted my eyes (no torch) and tried to understand if you can somehow get back up from this stone shelf (you cannot in the same situation in Dragon Aerie for example). I dropped to the right, then to the left and bingo. I can follow up a tunnel to a huge room with... living Giants ?!? How crazy is that! I killed them (I got used to fighting Giants in the Memories) and they drop a Forgotten Key! I check one room and miss the cage elevator and fall to my death. I try to get there once again because I noticed a soul jar in the cage room. I drop to the stone shelf with the white door... and the fucking key opens them! HOW CRAZY IS THAT?

Long story short ---> I got the Havel's set and can wear Havel's Armor + Havel's Leggins + Drangleic Gauntlets + Drangleic Shield and have 48.2% encumberance!!! Need only 4 VIT more and I can replace Drangleic Gauntlets with Havel's!

This game is crazy when you play it without any FAQs. You can be surprised like never before!

Got to unstone all the other statues now (besides the worthless ones in Aldia's Keep and Dragon Aerie for example).Oh and I went back to The Black Gulch and unstoned the statue there... there was a bonfire behind it!

You basically intiated the DLC without knowing, which probably was pretty cool doing so. I couldn't find the place myself so I had to look it up :(

Bossun

I'm in deep shit for this play through, I traded most of mi souls of giant. I have only one left so Vendrick is such a bore. I'd need to summon someone with at least two or three souls so he gets easier...

You basically intiated the DLC without knowing, which probably was pretty cool doing so. I couldn't find the place myself so I had to look it up :(

I just had another OMG moment. After 60 hours of playtime I start to unstone the statues. Lo & behold the one in Sinner's Rise/ Lost Bastille is a guy that turns bosses souls into weapons and spells. And I am right before the final boss, ha.

zsswimmer

I just had another OMG moment. After 60 hours of playtime I start to unstone the statues. Lo & behold the one in Sinner's Rise/ Lost Bastille is a guy that turns bosses souls into weapons and spells. And I am right before the final boss, ha.

Where is that statue person in Lost Bastille? Is it that guy on the 3rd story in a building, above those cages that you can take up and down?

Manu

interesting. the only bosses i've yet to beat are the
throne guardians, nashandra, vendrick, and the scholar. and from DLCs sir alonne and the two pets of the ivory king
. aren't the giant souls from bosses?

Nope.

You can get three Giant souls at the end of each Giant Memory.

And you can get two additional ones by
1. killing the Ancient Dragon and 2. killing the two giants in Black Gulch.

Nope.

You can get three Giant souls at the end of each Giant Memory.

And you can get two additional ones by
1. killing the Ancient Dragon and 2. killing the two giants in Black Gulch.

hmm...i have 3. i must have missed some giant memories then

Manu

hmm...i have 3. i must have missed some giant memories then

My previous post wasn't entirely accurate.

There's three you can get through Memories, two of them are Giant Memories in the Forest of Fallen Giants and the third one is a Dragon Memory you access in the room where you killed Freja.

Then you have the other two I mentioned.

neoemonk

I have the original PC version but the other OT looks dead. I started this game as deprived and basically grinded in Heide's Tower until I could wield the Fire Longsword and have been hacking my way through the game so far. I did cheat a little by looking into Adaptability and pumped that up as well. I wanted to do a no shield play through since I've always turtled in Demon's and Dark Souls. I haven't really found a compelling reason to wear armor at this point in the game although I didn't set out to do a naked run.

So far I've cleared Heide's, the Forest, and deafeated the Ruin Sentinels. I'd like to use magic but as deprived haven't encountered a staff yet. Hope to come across one soon.

Audioboxer

I'm quite similar to this just now except I use a rapier and a warped sword. Warped in right, rapier in left. Warped is awesome with how fast it is, and rapier for dem pokes.

My previous post wasn't entirely accurate.

There's three you can get through Memories, two of them are Giant Memories in the Forest of Fallen Giants and the third one is a Dragon Memory you access in the room where you killed Freja.

Then you have the other two I mentioned.

it's all good. i looked it up and found the two i needed. thanks.

so i just plowed through the last chunk of bosses. got the giant souls, killed
vendrick.
killed
throne guards, nashandra, and aldia. the only bosses i haven't beaten in the game are sir alonne, the ivory king's other two pets that i can't find, and darklurker because i accidentally killed darkdiver grandahl in the shaded ruins
. :( i really want to run through that covenant stuff, but i've already put in a ton of hours running through the entire game and DLC. don't really want to even do NG+ anytime soon to get back there. oh well, i guess that's what i get for blindly solo-ing the majority of the game. it was fun, but not as compelling as bloodborne. i get the issues people have with level design and enemy placement. i'm going to run through demon's next and then hopefully dark souls at some point. though i really don't want to have to break out the ps3 for too long.

vocab

I've been using a rapier +10 and its served me well up (I've just beat the smelter demon). However, I'm looking for a new weapon with a bit of more burst damage for dex builds. Something with good scaling. Any ideas? I never played DS2 before so I don't have any knowledge of loot progression.

Maridia

Alright, just took out the
Burnt Ivory King
. Only thing I have left in the third DLC is
Frigid Outskirts
, which as of now I can't find, and based on what I've heard about it, I'm not sure that I want to find it. We'll see how I feel tomorrow!

For now, off to the Crown of the Sunken King, which, for me, is the last of the DLC areas! It's been a hell of a ride, and I'm sure there's more craziness in store.

Where is that statue person in Lost Bastille? Is it that guy on the 3rd story in a building, above those cages that you can take up and down?

Its in the building in front of Sinners Rise entrance. The statue blocks a bonfire and the bonfire is named after this guy (Straids Cell or something).

Does anyone know if you need the DLC pyromancies for the trophy in Scholar? I only need three more and two are in NG+ and NG++, but if I want to get Outcry I'll need to beat Alonne. And that's pretty damn hard with only pyromancy... my lightning dagger does like 100 damage to him.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Does anyone know if you need the DLC pyromancies for the trophy in Scholar? I only need three more and two are in NG+ and NG++, but if I want to get Outcry I'll need to beat Alonne. And that's pretty damn hard with only pyromancy... my lightning dagger does like 100 damage to him.

Only spells from the vanilla game count towards the achievement.

LiQuid!

Oops, you're right sorry. I was thinking of Dark Souls 1.

Brakke

Banned
Sir Alonne's hit boxes are fucked. I keep clearly rolling away from that impale attack he does, then it warps me to the tip of his sword and then it gets cursed or something and then he ruins me.

Maridia

Sir Alonne's hit boxes are fucked. I keep clearly rolling away from that impale attack he does, then it warps me to the tip of his sword and then it gets cursed or something and then he ruins me.

It's because no matter what part of him hits you or where it connects, you get the same animation of him hoisting you up on his sword. Roll to his right side, rather than his left, and you'll be fine.

Brakke

Banned
This was a classic case of making a post to complain right before turning it off, then deciding to go in for one more, then winning.

:D!

On to the Sunken King!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is it me or is Drangleic Castle a lot harder than the areas that came before it? Anyway I'm a little stuck so could use some guidance on where to go next:

I'm at the bonfire at Drangleic Castle right after you fight the double Dragonrider bosses. I went up the ladder, killed the horse enemy, went out the door, cleared the gargoyle, then opened up the door right underneath him which leads me right back to the same bonfire. Am I missing something here? It looks like a loop that doesn't take me anywhere. Where am I supposed to go?

Brakke

Banned
Somewhere there is a golem. You have to kill something near it so it activates a knob. Then the elevator by the ladder operates.

Top Bottom