• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring back the b-team!!!

How in the hell can dark souls 2 online work flawlessly but I can't summon one fucking person in 45 minutes of trying and now I have to hate to work....

Come on from come on

Its probably you. That or all the signs youre getting are being picked up by someone else. The connections have been great for me so far.

vac

Neo Member
alright this tree is triggering me

Tactics I used - killed on 2nd try
Just stay close to it and circle round it, staying near it's rear in true dark souls fashion. Ignore the other enemies. Roll away when it lifts ass in the air and keep a bit more distance. Don't stop circling it. When you feel comfortable slash at the various "spores" located on body/hands/feet - don't lock on to boss when trying to hit spores, it fucks up your aim. Hope this helps

tcrunch

Oh and while i'm here I could use a directional pointer, late game (I assume) spoilers.

So I've got these two dragons squatting near an exterior bonfire at Lothric castle making things permanently toasty, I can't for the life of me figure out where to go to bypass this.
All other areas I've found since seem to have been optional, I hope the answer here isn't slowly arrow both dragons to death.

Wait till they are throwing their heads up/in a kind of roaring animation, then run past them and go right. If you explore in there you will find a way to get rid of them melee.

If they set you on fire it's not a huge problem, but don't try to run, use rolls to get past the staggering effect of the fire on the ground.

OVDRobo

Finally got some time to play for real after doing chores basically all day. Beat the first real boss (V
ordt of the Boreal Valley
) and headed to the next area. I think I explored everything I could in the first area, the only thing I know I didn't do was fight the Blue-caped knight at the top of the stairs. Is he hiding goodies and if so are they worth it? A bit scared to fight him because he looks scary!

I am a bit worried I might be spreading myself too thin. I wanted to go full DEX at first, started as Deprived. But the first shield I found with 100% physical res requires 18 STR, so I'm pumping towards that now. And if I want to wear anything nice I'll need more VIT (I think that's the equip load stat right?), and I already got VIG to 18 for some HP... Maybe I'll turn into a quality character, not necessarily intentionally, but it would be nice to be able to play with all melee weapons and try them out. What did you guys start out with focusing on (except for some HP which I assume everyone raises the first few levels)?

I started out with the intention of making a quality character. My personal advice is to ignore vit (equip load) stat for now and stick to one lighter weapon and shield combo. Armor doesn't seem to make a huge difference, particularly in the later sections of the game, so you may as well get used to dodging now.

Tenebrous

Pontiff Sulyvahn
is no joke. My attacks
are hitting for 130/140 and he has a shitload of HP, so when phase 2 lands... Eek!

What's this fucker weak to? Is my
fire weapon
holding me back? I just
him to about 25% before running out of Estus. I'm not good enough to dodge this guy for a clean kill.

Sarcasm

Bring back the b-team!!!

How in the hell can dark souls 2 online work flawlessly but I can't summon one fucking person in 45 minutes of trying and now I have to hate to work....

Come on from come on

Its probably you. That or all the signs youre getting are being picked up by someone else. The connections have been great for me so far.

Plus probably the fact that there are more people that own/play DS3 than DS2.

Hypron

So, how are the auto-summon covenants (F
aithfuls of Aldrich
, W
atchdogs of Farron
, B
lades of the Darkmoon
, B
lue Sentinels
) working now that the game is available worldwide?

I never got summoned on the JP version using those, whereas white soapstone worked perfectly.

Audioboxer

I started out with the intention of making a quality character. My personal advice is to ignore vit (equip load) stat for now and stick to one lighter weapon and shield. Armor doesn't seem to make a huge difference, particularly in the later sections of the game, so you may as well get used to dodging now.

I've just found some heavy armour fairly early in that's beautiful. Fashion Souls needs Vit.

AmyS

Okay today at GameStop, as one employee was ringing up my copy, the other employee (who could've been the manager, not sure tho) said that one of the DS III DLC expansions would be coming late this year and the second DLC after Christmas. He also said one of them would be huge, like the size of the full game (or a full game).

My question is, is that something already known on GAF, or could they have been just sayin' stuff?

Logash

First time playing a mage in Dark Souls. Any tips? I'm not really into PvP and I'm not quite sure what stats to focus on and what stats so ignore.

twisteh

Upgraded my weapon but now Im above 70% weight which i dont want right? Quite new to Souls so not sure if upgrading weapon makes it heavier :/

Thewonandonly

Plus probably the fact that there are more people that own/play DS3 than DS2.
Well I'm preety far so I'm preety sure my summon signs arnt getting taken away. And my connection is set on strict and I can't for the life of me change it, but it works fine in every game I have ever played. Even the battleborne beta where people said they were waiting for 30 minutes I would find a match in 5. So idk

Drop down immediately to the right on the bridge you cross to get toasted, then head left. Don't drop down any further. The path leads inside after a few enemies.

you have to sprint and drop off the side of the bridge and before the dragons start flaming.

The bridge, drop down.

Wait till they are throwing their heads up/in a kind of roaring animation, then run past them and go right. If you explore in there you will find a way to get rid of them melee.

If they set you on fire it's not a huge problem, but don't try to run, use rolls to get past the staggering effect of the fire on the ground.

You want to know the worst thing about this?
I have already been down there (twice for items on either side!) yet somehow I missed whatever path you guys are on about. I just ended up taking the route that looped back round.
Well thanks, these new glasses of mine must be faulty.

OVDRobo

I've just found some heavy armour fairly early in that's beautiful. Fashion Souls needs Vit.

Yeah. Maybe I'm too practical. I used a longsword, a kite shield and a set of armor I found in the third area for the entirety of the game.

I'm not big on the whole knight in shining armor look so a lot of the stuff I prefer fashion-wise doesn't weigh that much anyway.

Nazo

Can some one point me in the directionon how to use heavy gems?
Andre
doesn't have the option to infuse it.

Really wan't to turn this claymore into more of a strength weapon.

Cob32

What's this fucker weak to? Is my
fire weapon
holding me back? I just
him to about 25% before running out of Estus. I'm not good enough to dodge this guy for a clean kill.

i think you can block this guy weaker attacks with a shield. Also at the start of the second phase try to time your strongest attack to attack the shadow as soon as it comes out. I found that helped a bit.

Mandelbo

Okay today at GameStop, as one employee was ringing up my copy, the other employee (who could've been the manager, not sure tho) said that one of the DS III DLC expansions would be coming late this year and the second DLC after Christmas. He also said one of them would be huge, like the size of the full game (or a full game).

My question is, is that something already known on GAF, or could they have been just sayin' stuff?

afaik the only info that's been released about the expansions is that they're planned. He's making it up.

Zocano

Andre

You need to find a coal (like embers from Dark Souls 1; unlock new infusions/upgrade paths) that lets you use the heavy gem.

JMY86

Andre

You have to find the correct Coal to allow him to infuse Heavy.

Kerned

Banned
I feel like an idiot but I have no idea where I am supposed to go from
Firelink
. There are two locked gates, but I just don't see anything else. I assume I am missing something painfully obvious.

Santiako

Andre

You'll find some Embers along the way, each one opens a few infusion options.

Firelink
. There are two locked gates, but I just don't see anything else. I assume I am missing something painfully obvious.

Warp from bonfire.

bickieditches

Neo Member
Ok, without giving me any details or extra spoilers (so literally just a yes or no) can someone reply to this answering if it makes sense lore-wise that this is the last Dark Souls? If that's even possible?

vocab

Firelink

No it's not obvious.

Just travel to the next location via bonfire. DUH

yatesl

The resins in this game are INCREDIBLY short, unless I'm missing something. Went to fight the
tree
boss, figured "Oh yeah, buff my weapon with fire and here we go".

Two swings later and it disappears.

sobaka770

Banned
alright this tree is triggering me

Yeah died a bunch of times on this bugger.

Some tips:
1st phase: you can end it prematurely if you attack belly first, the boss will fall with about 70% health left. If you find the undead annoying you might want to do that. Otherwise left arm and leg spores can bring the health down to about 50% overall before the pit opens but they alse remain vulnerable in phase 2.

2nd phase: the key word is extreme patience. The tree has poor reach and going into it's belly is usually a suicide since the arm hits hard. Stay away from it and bait out the two attacks that reliably allow you to get some easy damage on its arm. If you didn't hit it's right arm and leg yet, you can carefully do so.

The most patient tactic is to wait for it's sweeping attack. The tree telgraphs it by putting its new hand in front of itslef and then doing a sweeping motion with all the branches. After this attack the tree will always take a break and land its hand behind its back where you can attack it 3-4 times. You can kill the boss just by baiting this easy to dodge attack.

If you want to speed up the process I suggest taking some damage when it starts raining blobs and hit its arm 3-4 times (!!! Roll back as doing so will trigger a powerful retaliation).

If you make it to the phase where is starts to stand up on its two legs and slam, you can do massive damage if you hit the sacs.

I died on this boss a bunch of times but I think it's a great wake-up call for Bloodborne players.

A question (Spoilers for beginning of game):
In the Undead Settlement there was a room accessible through the hole in the floor with some kind of cauldron with Estus. I drank it but didn't notice any effect. Am I missing something?

Sblargh

Banned
I am a victim of crashes near the bonfires. :(
I don't even need to use them. Sometimes it crashes by just being near a bonfire.

pupcoffee

Oh man. I haven't felt this joyfully disorientated in a game since Dark Souls 1. The environment progression is all over the place. I have no fucking clue where this game is taking me.

Audioboxer

Yeah. Maybe I'm too practical. I used a longsword, a kite shield and a set of armor I found in the third area for the entirety of the game.

I'm not big on the whole knight in shining armor look so a lot of the stuff I prefer fashion-wise doesn't weigh that much anyway.

This armour ain't shiny :p
Fallen Knight

Nazo

Thanks for the very quick response guys! Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for some coals. Hopefully they're not to far away.

Hypron

Yeah died a bunch of times on this bugger.

Some tips:
1st phase: you can end it prematurely if you attack belly first, the boss will fall with about 70% health left. If you find the undead annoying you might want to do that. Otherwise left arm and leg spores can bring the health down to about 50% overall before the pit opens but they alse remain vulnerable in phase 2.

2nd phase: the key word is extreme patience. The tree has poor reach and going into it's belly is usually a suicide since the arm hits hard. Stay away from it and bait out the two attacks that reliably allow you to get some easy damage on its arm. If you didn't hit it's right arm and leg yet, you can carefully do so.

The most patient tactic is to wait for it's sweeping attack. The tree telgraphs it by putting its new hand in front of itslef and then doing a sweeping motion with all the branches. After this attack the tree will always take a break and land its hand behind its back where you can attack it 3-4 times. You can kill the boss just by baiting this easy to dodge attack.

If you want to speed up the process I suggest taking some damage when it starts raining blobs and hit its arm 3-4 times (!!! Roll back as doing so will trigger a powerful retaliation).

If you make it to the phase where is starts to stand up on its two legs and slam, you can do massive damage if you hit the sacs.

I died on this boss a bunch of times but I think it's a great wake-up call for Bloodborne players.

In the Undead Settlement there was a room accessible through the hole in the floor with some kind of cauldron with Estus. I drank it but didn't notice any effect. Am I missing something?

If you have a dexterity or hybrid dex/str build you can also get a bow to attack the weak points from far away.

Santiako

It's estus soup, it's just a free heal.

no way to get the Estoc in the game other than starting as an assassin?

You can get every starting weapon and armour in the game.

Tenebrous

i think you can block this guy weaker attacks with a shield. Also at the start of the second phase try to time your strongest attack to attack the shadow as soon as it comes out. I found that helped a bit.

I've been trying that but my damage is so low that
I can't kill him before he puts another one (or two) up.

tcrunch

Liquid sunbro does the body good, mmmmmmmmmm-mmm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom