• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisOne

Is this at all like Demon's Souls where you get the boss' soul when you kill it and then can either cash it in or use it to make a weapon later?

Also, how does the death system work? I die and permanently lose health or what?

Oh man. I haven't felt this joyfully disorientated in a game since Dark Souls 1. The environment progression is all over the place. I have no fucking clue where this game is taking me.

Tell me about it. I just killed the
Abyss Watchers
after the Tree, and feel like I skipped a whole bunch in between. Time to double back.

Audioboxer

Is this at all like Demon's Souls where you get the boss' soul when you kill it and then can either cash it in or use it to make a weapon later?

Also, how does the death system work? I die and permanently lose health or what?

Yes boss Souls make weapons and items. If you die you lose some health if embered and your Souls drop. A second death without recovering Souls means they're lost forever.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Yea, that's what it's like. The embers seem pretty plentiful to me so far so dying isn't as much of a penalty as it was in the other games.

J-Skee

Okay, I feel incredibly stupid. Where do you go after you get the to Firelink Shrine? I've been running around in circles for the past hour.

In general for souls games, do you get better weapons via loot or do you have to buy them? I think In Bloodborne I stuck with the Cleaver and then bought the hammer if I remember correctly.

Mandelbo

1. Yes, but you need to find an item early on that lets you make boss weapons.
2. If you beat a boss or use an ember, you enter ember mode, which gives you about 30% more HP. If you die in ember mode you lose the HP buff, but no more health loss on subsequent deaths.

sn00zer

welp
Cf4P4SkWIAAb2A1.jpg

1. Yes, but you need to find an item early on that lets you make boss weapons.
2. If you beat a boss or use an ember, you enter ember mode, which gives you about 30% more HP. If you die in ember mode you lose the HP buff, but no more health loss on subsequent deaths.

What is said item?

ThisOne

Yes boss Souls make weapons and items. If you die you lose some health if embered and your Souls drop. A second death without recovering Souls means they're lost forever.
Wait, so did I get a soul for beating the tutorial boss? I didn't notice anything...

As a side note, I started the game as a Mercenary with the scimitar. When I dual wield them, L2 uses the weapon skill or art or whatever, right? It seemed so weak so I'm not sure if there's a "proper" way to use that or not.

wamberz1

Just beat
vordt
, Took me 6 tries, I must be rusty. Also I'm kind of starting to getting sick of the whole "roll at the last minute and abuse I-frames, attack, repeat" boss fights...

Any tips for the Pyromancer? I'm enjoying the fusion of long-range with the fireball spell and close-range with the axe, but non-existent armour and limited Estus Flasks means I'm getting my ass whipped pretty hard at times.

My only real experience with this series is Bloodborne which I loved to bits, so I want to play a similar style if possible. Did I pick the right class or should I consider a different one before I invest too much time into it?

jonjonaug

So I beat the (mid game semi-hidden optional boss spoilers)
Old Demon King. That fight was like the Stray Demon on steroids, good god.

Okay today at GameStop, as one employee was ringing up my copy, the other employee (who could've been the manager, not sure tho) said that one of the DS III DLC expansions would be coming late this year and the second DLC after Christmas. He also said one of them would be huge, like the size of the full game (or a full game).

My question is, is that something already known on GAF, or could they have been just sayin' stuff?

I actually had a GS employee tell me the same thing regarding the map size and lengh of one of the DLC's. He said it would be bigger than the main game. Not sure if it's true, or just something they were told to say for some extra season pass sales.

OVDRobo

Wait, so did I get a soul for beating the tutorial boss? I didn't notice anything...

As a side note, I started the game as a Mercenary with the scimitar. When I dual wield them, L2 uses the weapon skill or art or whatever, right? It seemed so weak so I'm not sure if there's a "proper" way to use that or not.

Hit strong attack (R2) after hitting L2.

KevinG

What class should I choose? I'm usually a Leeeeeeeerrrrroooooooyyyyyy Jeeeeeeeeeeeennnnkkkiiiiiinnnssss kind of player, but this is Dark Souls.

I've finished Bloodborne and DLC, but this is my first Souls experience.

Tenebrous

Finally got that fucker
Sulyvahn. Swapped out Fire Claymore +5 for Sharp Claymore +5, and that extra little bit of damage got me through (with 3 charges to spare).
Don't think I've encountered a harder Souls boss, but I've not played II yet.

AmyS

I actually had a GS employee tell me the same thing regarding the map size and lengh of one of the DLC's. He said it would be bigger than the main game. Not sure if it's true, or just something they were told to say for some extra season pass sales.

Heh, yeah it seems they were told to say that for extra season pass sales.

I'm in Lake County, Illinois, btw (far north Chicago suburbs).

Just beat
Wolnir
in Carthus.
Had to upgrade some janky club I had to do real damage/deal with the skellymen, but it went by really fast once I realized starting on the sword hand made things way easier.
I really like
the valley
after.

I want to explore the few sections of the area I missed, but there's
skelewheels and that firesage thing
and that's just nope.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's made even better when you realise it's not just a backdrop but part of the actual game world.

So when I'm at the Firelink Shrine, that's obviously Lorthric Castle in the distance yea?

So early game stuff,
I let the dude out of the prison and he gave me something to give to a woman below. I figured it was the one who gave me the banner but the dialogue is just the same as before. Is she not the one he meant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom