• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it is difficult to win a 3 v. 1 in a straight fight. Aggressively taking out the weakest link of the group usually helps, but it is difficult if they stay close.

You know, in my day, way back when in 4-1 PvP, there used to be rules! The phantom would engage, and if you won, you fought the host!

Now I have to go all eye of the Samurai on these losers and take an ashen estus to katana parry them into nothingness just to survive! And then they'll heal, too!

JJD

Can't go wrong with Havel's ring, but if you're just doing a physical build then there's not much point in grabbing any of them until later in the game. Most have high stat requirements and their upgrade materials are really hard to come by.

Yeah, Havel's Ring was guaranteed, but I have no idea about the others.

Pontiff's Eye is useless.

Really? That's a shame, I was hoping for some Bloodborne like abilities.

ramyeon

Yeah, Havel's Ring was guaranteed, but I have no idea about the others.

Really? That's a shame, I was hoping for some Bloodborne like abilities.
It only starts recovering health after a few successive hits in a row - might be good for fast weapons like daggers I suppose. I could never get it to work.

justjim89

How early can I get a decent strength scaling weapon? Started as a herald and focusing mainly on strength , but the best thing I've found so far is a broadsword. Currently scouring the high wall looking for a mace or something.

d00d3n

You know, in my day, way back when in 4-1 PvP, there used to be rules! The phantom would engage, and if you won, you fought the host!

Now I have to go all eye of the Samurai on these losers and take an ashen estus to katana parry them into nothingness just to survive! And then they'll heal, too!

Heh, I feel your pain. The bolded part hurts, but the gank partners have as little estus as you, so it can be a reasonable battle of attrition.

Finished the cathedral, I guess.
The boss was alright. I spent the whole fight with my scythe out, doing running attacks into everything and then rolling away at the speed of sound. Looks like I have to head into the valley next :/

I finished the first area. That poor
red-eyed knight
didn't know what hit him. I just went nuts on him before he could react.
I did the same thing, got all up in his business and knifed his face off. Which was surprising, because they're usually too crazy for that to work. Of course, I immediately died to one of the regular ones after that, so...

Soulflarz

Banned
Oh. No. Haven't been there yet. Sorry.

It's worse than the trolls

Wait
If I use an estus +1 thing on a fire
is it perma or just for that area?
I legit haven't been using this, cause uk, why make the game easier or something
(aka the way it was worded in the item introduction implied it was for that bonfire?)
edit: It's totally for every bonfire and I've been dicking myself over the entire game :lol

Welp

Manu

If I use an estus +1 thing on a fire
is it perma or just for that area?
I legit haven't been using this, cause uk, why make the game easier or something
(aka the way it was worded in the item introduction implied it was for that bonfire?)

It's permanent.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Besides this game just being awesome, I have to commend From on the actually usable keyboard/mouse bindings. Really on point and I haven't been frustrated at all so far. All just makes sense.

jonjonaug

...have you been to I
lly
yet?

Remember the thing guarding it?
TWO UNDER A WELL THAT AGGRO AT ONCE

If you hang back the one on the left will run into a wall and stop. It's still hard because fuck those things, but they're not as bad as the guys in Bloodborne.

Brehs, where can I find the
armor
to help out my boy
Siegward
who's
trapped in the well
?

You need to buy it off of
Patches
or kill him for it. If you haven't run into him yet,
open the main doors on the lower level of the inner building (good idea to kill the giants) and reload the area, he'll be up above somewhere

Edzi

So does the game ever explain the weapon art stuff or does it just expect you to know about it already? I'm assuming it's just special moves that consume magic when two handing, right?

Soulflarz

Banned
If you hang back the one on the left will run into a wall and stop. It's still hard because fuck those things, but they're not as bad as the guys in Bloodborne.

One of the hardest things in Bloodborne, regardless of level.

You can kite them around the rock though with a kirkhammer
I used a level one kirkhammer and jump attacked, backed up, repeated 3m :3
Both are ridiculous because HP doesn't matter- one combo will kill you.

But yeah, these guys have the most disjointed hitboxes I've seen in a souls since the skeleton dogs in 1.

You need to buy it off of
Patches
or kill him for it. If you haven't run into him yet,
open the main doors on the lower level of the inner building (good idea to kill the giants) and reload the area, he'll be up above somewhere

I always miss out on that step of the quest for some reason, lol.

I really wish the tree didn't have the obnoxious first section. It's easy but is really annoying to have to replay when I'm struggling with the main portion. Like Gaping Dragon but you can only damage by hitting a small portion

Main portion of the fight is fun enough but ugh

TheRed

I'm just loving having this game on PC. Looks amazing to me and in motion is just so good. Besides that little plant there on the right :p

25796916454_fbd62432cf_o.png

You can kite them around the rock though with a kirkhammer
I used a level one kirkhammer and jump attacked, backed up, repeated 3m :3
Both are ridiculous because HP doesn't matter- one combo will kill you.

But yeah, these guys have the most disjointed hitboxes I've seen in a souls since the skeleton dogs in 1.

I used the blue elixirs to fade into the dark and sneak up to visceral them. Rakuyo was totally worth it. Now I've got Rakuyo/BoM, Avelyn/Piercing Rifle +10.

Dex build never felt so great.

Aurongel

Is there any reason to use greatswords in this game? Just transfused one using
Abyss Watcher
boss soul and it barely does more damage than my icy Ithyrll sword.

Are the only benefits to boss weapons and greatswords their movesets?

Soulflarz

Banned
Abyss Watcher

I'm also wondering this

I've upgraded them a ton, but ithy's sword is just too OP

Abyss Watcher

I can't speak for all greatswords, but the Fume is still amazing even after it got nerfed.

Made my way up to
Curse Rotted Greatwood
beat it and stopped there. I know how to get to the next area but I'm trying to get to the area under the tower with the
Archer in front of the fire demon and with Seigward
I know you've gotta jump of while on the elevator I just don't know when.

So having played this a bit. This is identical to the last 4 souls games. Nothing has changed except maybe the MP bar? Locale ofcourse. But it's absurd. How can't you not jump up small ledges.
How is the jump mechanism EXACTLY the same?
Why is there no contextualized sword hitting (IE you're trying to hit something and he hits a wall, fking hit so you don't HIT the wall).
No stealth? Why have reverse kills if you can't sneak up on a bitch.
Still no swimming. I get you're in armor and you'll sink. But let me naked up and swim. Though I haven't seen any water yet.

Was is it also so fkin desolate? Again we have this huge city and huge castle of stuff. No life. Why is it always dead?

It's like...add a LITTLE something new to this game.

Let me kick down some of those "blocked off" doors. I'm sad nothing has changed honestly....

It's a great game, but more of the same basically.

Nah, because you miss a ton of illusory walls, or other extremely useful tips!

For me, seeing a whole pile of messages and bloodstains before each part ruins the whole element of surprise, while having messages telling you where everything is puts a damper on exploration. I explore the hell out of every thing, double check things, whack suspicious walls, etc. It does slow the pace of the game down, but also makes it more survival-horror-ish for me.

Then in NG+ or with a fresh character in NG, I read all about the game online, fill in the blanks, do invasions, etc.

Timeaisis

If you want to be cheap
you can get him to follow you back to the elevator shaft where you can make him lunge at you and kill himself

Didn't quite work exactly how you say, but I managed to get him stuck in the doorway to the elevator and shot him with a bow until he died lol. I feel bad for cheesing him, but god damn I have no idea how I'd kill him with melee.

Also, fuck me the bow is good in this game. It almost feels unfair using it.

Soulflarz

Banned
Beat them without cheesing.
Verdict? Easier than bloodborne non cheesed. Both combo you to death instantly, but you *can* glitch these ones. More importantly, if one dies, it stays dead, meaning if you really want to work for it you can kill them both one at a time.

Also- worst hitboxes in awhile?

For me, seeing a whole pile of messages and bloodstains before each part ruins the whole element of surprise, while having messages telling you where everything is puts a damper on exploration. I explore the hell out of every thing, double check things, whack suspicious walls, etc. It does slow the pace of the game down, but also makes it more survival-horror-ish for me.

Then in NG+ or with a fresh character in NG, I read all about the game online, fill in the blanks, do invasions, etc.

Fair enough, different perspectives and all~

Didn't quite work exactly how you say, but I managed to get him stuck in the doorway to the elevator and shot him with a bow until he died lol. I feel bad for cheesing him, but god damn I have no idea how I'd kill him with melee.

Also, fuck me the bow is good in this game. It almost feels unfair using it.

Dodge, stab

iirc he has huge tells and giant gap periods to stab him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom