• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed the game yesterday and played for about 2 hours.
Initial impressions (PC version) as follow, tech stuff first, then gameplay:

- the game looks gorgeous (running it maxed out at 1080p). 8o
- my first time playing a Souls game on PC on 60fps and it feels sooooo weird :D, especially after Bloodborne. Will take some time getting used to all dat smoothness. *bling* :D camera doesn't feel as smooth as Bloodborne, tho (much too "wonky" for my taste).
- had to swap attack buttons (LB -> LT, RB -> RT) on the XB1 controller because the initial config of primary attack on shoulder buttons feels just off, anyone else feel the same way?. :eek:
- game has some sort of a micro micro micro stutter every time it saves/does online. Anyone else experiencing this? it's running off of SSD so dunno what's going on? :/

gameplay wise, oh man... Bloodborne spoiled me. I miss the speed and health replenish mechanic. :(
DS III is noticeably faster than DS I & II, but still I need to shed the Bloodborne mentality.

Also, started as Assassin, going for a DEX build. Is that viable?
It'll be my first time playing a Souls game as primarily a melee (hoping for a no shield, aggressive, fast build). Like I said, Bloodborne spoiled me. :D
All my previous Souls games I was a pyro bro (in Demon's I was a Blessed Mirdan Hammer Knight™).
Is magic / faith really necessary? Anyone finished the game already as a melee?

- had to swap attack buttons (LB -> LT, RB -> RT) on the XB1 controller because the initial config of primary attack on shoulder buttons feels just off, anyone else feel the same way?. :eek:
- game has some sort of a micro micro micro stutter every time it saves/does online. Anyone else experiencing this? it's running off of SSD so dunno what's going on? :/

Yea swap both my block and primary attack to LT and RT respectively. I think quiet a few of us are experiencing the stutter too so hopefully a patch will fix this but apart from that bloody good port I'd say.

Want you guys' opinions on something related to how you play.

My friend is the type who will use whatever guide or anything he can use so he doesn't miss a thing. I personally don't like that route, but I'd be guilty if I didn't Google an NPC to see where I'll find them next because I don't want to miss a quest line, or how hollowing works in this one since I don't understand it yet. Trying to take myself off of that this time though. Do you guys go full guide, completely dark or what?

I'm trying to stay as uninformed as possible. Guides tend to show you the limits of things(how far an area extends, or exactly how many items are in any given place), and finding those for myself is far more enticing than doing everything 'right' the first time through. I can always follow NPC stories on NG+/other characters, but I can only discover a place once.

sappyday

4 hours in and I'm at the
Undead Settlement
. I'm getting strong ass Bloodborne vibes with the locations and enemies. There is also major Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 vibes. It's all a mixture of everything.

I was in the Undead Settlement, and I saw this one NPC
named Siegwad near the elevator. When I saw Siegwad, I felt very nostalgic because Siegmeyer from Dark Souls I was my all time favorite NPC. However, seeing another Knight of Catarina with the same likeness as Siegmeyer worries me. Will Siegwad's personality and journey deviate from Siegmeyer?

I hit the
courtyard full of them
and for the first time in the game, felt like I was in seriously the wrong neighbourhood.
Lol yep I've just gotten there.
What's the easy way to kill these guys? I feel like it's impossible to get past them with any estus flasks left.

Artdayne

I like the game a lot but man sometimes I don't know why I play these games because it seems much of the time I'm playing I'm pissed off. LOL

Some things really bug me like the lock on being crappy sometimes, the camera just f'ing up in general and then some groups of enemies just seem blatantly cheap where they have range, defense, speed and with multiples of these enemies together, a lot of damage. Like people complain about the drowners in the Witcher 3 but there are mobs like that all over the place.

Want you guys' opinions on something related to how you play.

My friend is the type who will use whatever guide or anything he can use so he doesn't miss a thing. I personally don't like that route, but I'd be guilty if I didn't Google an NPC to see where I'll find them next because I don't want to miss a quest line, or how hollowing works in this one since I don't understand it yet. Trying to take myself off of that this time though. Do you guys go full guide, completely dark or what?

for my first time through, I'm playing offline and without looking things up. Maximizes the excitement of exploration and the element of surprise with some mobs. I take it slow, really look around in every nook+cranny, experiment, and yes, hit walls randomly quite a bit. Wouldn't recommend that to a first timer, but I feel like I know the deal with Souls well enough now to do this and it's turning out to be a ton of fun. Then after the first playthrough, I'll read through guides and start hitting up stuff I missed out on before.

i don't think you can go wrong either way, but I'd encourage a fresh offline playthrough for NG for people who've played a couple Souls games before. It livens things up and adds a lot more tension.

I played Dark Souls 1 with guides and calling on help for bosses. but still had a lot of fun. Played demon's souls after DS1 mostly blind aside from being online and looking up some weapon reinforcement guides.

hawk2025

Still haven't found the Praise The Sun gesture.

C'moooon game.

P.S.: People that ask for help the first time they fight a boss are lame. :p

Nose Master

Man FUCK
crystal sage

??? She's like this game's Pinwheel.
Rush her down and go ham, wait for her to reappear after the crystals, repeat. Takes like, three flurries.

Also, boy howdy I am kind of tired of every single
chest in the game being a mimic. I've found roughly one chest that wasn't a mimic out of about 12.

Ferr986

I hope shars are buyable later, still don't know if I should go full DEX or Quality, and trying some weapons would help me decide.

??? She's like this game's Pinwheel.
Rush her down and go ham, wait for her to reappear after the crystals, repeat. Takes like, three flurries.

Also, boy howdy I am kind of tired of every single
chest in the game being a mimic. I've found roughly one chest that wasn't a mimic out of about 12.

you didn't have the section of the fight where she splits into 3 who are all firing bullet curtains of magic at you at once? i went from rushing down her first form to turtling hard and just taking a few slashes when a safe opportunity arose, which was rare.

I beat the first boss on my first try as a Knight. The second form was way easier!

Also, Father G was way more challenging (and fun to fight) as a first boss. I think that took me like 4-5 tries.

Ruff

Ok fuck this game I'm never playing it again

Went to collect an item off of those sitting dead bodies like you see everywhere in some dungeon and the damn body just screamed at me in the loudest ear spiltting screech. I need new pants.

Nose Master

you didn't have the section of the fight where she splits into 3 who are all firing bullet curtains of magic at you at once? i went from rushing down her first form to turtling hard and just taking a few slashes when a safe opportunity arose, which was rare.

Yeah... I popped one of two of the blue ones, than just ran towards the purple one and killed it. If your stamina is decent you can stunlock her with like 8 swings each time she teleports.

Bullza2o

Stupid question but can I play with a friend from Japan using the JP version while I have the NA version? I still have to download it from PSN, but I hope there's no multiplayer region lock on PS4.

joesmokey

I finally beat the third boss. I am terrible at this game.
I didn't realize I should've been attacking the egg sacks on the legs/hand for maximum damage. I saw the ones in the front and the back but didn't see these until I randomly swung. Was going for just the arm and back in phase two the entire time :(. Trying to use the Fireball at all during this fight was infuriating, thanks to the terrible auto lock. Ended up going entirely sword swinging.

Pyromancer is a little too much melee for me for the first part of this so far. Hopefully with
unlocking the NPC
, things will start to get more interesting.

I'm not sure what to do with upgrading/infusing weapons yet. Right now I'm sticking with the basic sword and it's working much better than the terrible axe.

Audioboxer

yep

invasions still blow unfortunately :(

think I've gotten maybe one 1 v 1 so far

I've had quite a few. There's one area where there must be a covenant or something as I was getting invaded like you do in the forest in DS1.

That, or it just felt like that. It was quite a few 1v1s anyway.

twisteh

For anyone who needs to gain a few levels early on, I'd recommend the High Wall of Lothric. Turn left at the first bonfire (the way towards the dragon and the knight after etc) and just run between that bonfire and the second one and you'll gain roughly 1200 souls every 3-4 minutes. Most of it is from the knight and when the dragon kills everyone instantly.

There are probably much better spots, just one I found while rumbling around on my own :p

artsi

For anyone who needs to gain a few levels early on, I'd recommend the High Wall of Lothric. Turn left at the first bonfire (the way towards the dragon and the knight after etc) and just run between that bonfire and the second one and you'll gain roughly 1200 souls every 3-4 minutes. Most of it is from the knight and when the dragon kills everyone instantly.

There are probably much better spots, just one I found while rumbling around on my own :p

I just kept killing the knight next to the second bonfire (downstairs from there) at High Wall, extra souls from selling the loot he's dropping.

Installed the game yesterday and played for about 2 hours.
Initial impressions (PC version) as follow, tech stuff first, then gameplay:

- the game looks gorgeous (running it maxed out at 1080p). 8o
- my first time playing a Souls game on PC on 60fps and it feels sooooo weird :D, especially after Bloodborne. Will take some time getting used to all dat smoothness. *bling* :D camera doesn't feel as smooth as Bloodborne, tho (much too "wonky" for my taste).

gameplay wise, oh man... Bloodborne spoiled me. I miss the speed and health replenish mechanic. :(
DS III is noticeably faster than DS I & II, but still I need to shed the Bloodborne mentality.

Also, started as Assassin, going for a DEX build. Is that viable?
It'll be my first time playing a Souls game as primarily a melee (hoping for a no shield, aggressive, fast build). Like I said, Bloodborne spoiled me. :D
All my previous Souls games I was a pyro bro (in Demon's I was a Blessed Mirdan Hammer Knight™).
Is magic / faith really necessary? Anyone finished the game already as a melee?

dex is totally viable
ive still got my +2 Uchigatana currently and ive killed 3 bosses so far with it
im a spellsword though so i have enchant spells, etc as well

Jinjo

It took me fucking 45 minutes of walking around the tutorial area/firelink shrine before I figured out I had to
warp through the bonfire to the next area.
GG FromSoft. I always get stuck bad in the beginning of these games. Same with Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne lol.

Still deciding whether I should continue with my male Quality Knight or female Herald through the game first. I've never done a full on weapons/heavy armour only build. Might be fun for once.

BTW, if I input the same character creation parameters from my Bloodborne character into Dark Souls 3, do I get the same character? (aside from hair options obviously) I really liked the new male characterI recently created in that game.

Zocano

It took me fucking 45 minutes of walking around the tutorial area/firelink shrine before I figured out I had to
warp through the bonfire to the next area.

GG FromSoft. I always get stuck bad in the beginning of these games. Same with Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne lol.

The firekeeper (lady in black) tells you exactly what to do.

5 red eyes = 5 gank fests.

I guess it wasn't a jp thing.

So what you're telling me is that prioritizing players with summons is a silly idea? Naaaaah. /s

Iceternal

Damn I've only played Bloodborne before and this game is kicking my ass !

Isn't it like twice as hard ?

I beat Orphan of Kos on NG + (it was an achievement for me lol) but I struggle so much on this game ...

And I hate those black snake mutant things ... I feel like the camera isn't good enough to handle them and I often die because I can't see SHIT ! Like I can't even see the enemy move between the black goo or whatever.

anyone else love that the fire keeper is basicly Emerald Herald combined with Maiden in Black?
hey Ice ima give you a little protip
if you kill the undead before it turns you wont have to deal with the black darkness snake thing

Jobbs

Banned
when you enter the fucking
poison swamp fuck fuck place, there's a message on the ground that says "light the three fires".

when I first played that area I was playing in japanese and didn't have the benefit of the message. I spent HOURS in that fucking swamp. I was raging so bad. I knew I lit something but I didn't know why or how many or anything.

BTW you can use the dagger art dash to go fast through the swamp, works on zero mana, wish I had known that the first time

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Stuck in Cathedral. What's the soonest bonfire after Chapel? I just can't make it through the gauntlet.

Any feelings on the scimitar vs twinblades? I feel like I do more damage with a single twinblade while wielding only one, which seems to defeat the purpose.

Zocano

I don't get the hate for
poison swamps. I liked Farron Keep
. Blighttown was just frustrating because of shit-tastic framerate and endless mosquitos.

Any feelings on the scimitar vs twinblades? I feel like I do more damage with a single twinblade while wielding only one, which seems to defeat the purpose.

Yah the dual-wield weapons and their AR rating is weird, unclear, and seemingly useless. I think the best thing they are for are PvP where you can at least stunlock to an extent but PvE is just about pure dps.

co1onel

I hope shars are buyable later, still don't know if I should go full DEX or Quality, and trying some weapons would help me decide.

The undead at Lothric Wall with the black things coming out of them drop titanite shards. You can get the item that allows you to buy them in F
arron Keep

McBryBry

Spoilers post third boss
Crab swamp has me swamped. Three paths, one to a black knight with loot, one to Crystal Sage and one to two greatsword wielders. Not really sure how I got to the not Crystal Sage two while nopeing from crabs.

Jiraiza

I just started using the Uchigatana and I'm really enjoying the "JAPANESE STEEL FOLDED OVER 1000 TIMES" playstyle, surprisingly enough. Think I'll roll with this with Knight armor because of the funny contrast.

And what's with the random mooks being harder than the bosses? Bastards.

Soriku

This game looks quite nice on PS4. I think it's a bit better looking than Bloodborne. It does seem sharper. Also the game runs pretty solidly on the latest patch.

Ferr986

The undead at Lothric Wall with the black things coming out of them drop titanite shards. You can get the item that allows you to buy them in F
arron Keep

That item drops from the black goo guys too?

EDIT: Got it, the item is there. Sorry, just woke up lol I'll keep going.

This game looks quite nice on PS4. I think it's a bit better looking than Bloodborne. It does seem sharper. Also the game runs pretty solidly on the latest patch.

That's because this game doesn't have CA.

Jinjo

The firekeeper (lady in black) tells you exactly what to do.

i eventually figured that out yeah. No need to make me feel even more bad about it. :p
I was looking for an exit the bonfire was physically pointing to or something lol.

Yeah, I overthink sometimes.

forms

I tried fighting the first (tutorial) boss cleanly, not hugging and shielding or fighting him with ranged....I got my ass handed to me. :D

Been a long time since I have played a Souls game seriously, it seems.

Joined Rosario covenant inadvertently, it pissed off one of the NPC in firelink and now they try to kill me. Feelsbadman.

That one pissed me off. She doesn't even say anything so how was I supposed to know what she did.

Also just beat the
Old Demon King
. Really liking the bosses in this game. Also DS2 take notes: that's how you make a fatty boss that's challenging but doesn't rely on extreme tracking, dishonest weapon hit boxes, or bullshit one-hit kills.

Granjinha

Just got to
the road of sacrifices, in the swamp area

REALLY loving it.

Also, i
saved the nun from Carim, forgot her name. The guy guarding her looked really though, happy i didn't have to fight him lol

The game is amazing. <3

Haha well played From...was not expecting a
mimic so early.

That got me too.

Zocano

Guess I'm a bit too overlevelled for watchdogs ):

Getting nothing but nothing. Should I be standing in a certain area or does it not care about general location within the zone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom