• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I have a couple questions. I'm 8 hours in, so take that as you will when it comes to spoilers:

1. Is there a soul magic trainer that isn't
the pilgrim?
If yes, can you
find them before the fight with the giant tree?
2. Without spoiling anything,
will "finding my true strength" with the pilgrim screw me over?
3. Does the
faith lady's protector show up at Firelink anywhere?

Thanks!

Very curious about 2 & 3 myself.

Also, from what point in the game can I respec? Quality build here, looking to respec full DEX.

Impulsor

Any opinions on the great Axe?

I have the Butcher Knife but meh. I think I might enjoy the greataxe.

And for greatsowrds or ultra greatswords, what should I aim for now that FUME has been nerfed.

aravuus

Holy shit do the enemies in
Irithyll
hit hard or what the fuck

At 23 VIG, one hit from their combos can easily take ~40% off my HP

I'd love to summon people, but it's 11am in Finland so not too many are playing right now, I think

Yes
Kinda
Yes

So
you're saying I can find a soul trainer in the areas prior to the fight with the giant tree boss?

That means I really have to think about what I could have missed. I feel like I explored everything.

Edit: Also the
faith lady's protector is currently in firelink then?
Again I feel like I looked everywhere for him.

jaekeem

Irithyll

I'd love to summon people, but it's 11am in Finland so not too many are playing right now, I think

yea they hurt real bad

Banzai

Anyone find a 100% physical shield with the "Weapon skill" art? Feels like that combined with the sidestep-dagger would be awesome...

aravuus

Also, from what point in the game can I respec? Quality build here, looking to respec full DEX.

Gotta
talk to a covenant person
in
Cathedral of the Deep
to respec. It's maybe a third into the game.

It was a bit annoying to find in my opinion, so I'll give you a hint right away:
check out the rafters.

Tevious

WTF is going on with that giant archer guy up on that tower in the
Settlement
area?
First, he was killing all the enemies in the area, then all of sudden he started shooting at me. Lost a bunch of souls cause I didn't expect him to switch sides!

aravuus

WTF is going on with that giant archer guy up on that tower in the
Settlement
area?
First, he was killing all the enemies in the area, then all of sudden he started shooting at me. Lost a bunch of souls cause I didn't expect him to switch sides!

He's just shooting anyone who's in the area.
Go talk to him and maybe he'll be a bit nicer towards you in the future. Might even be helpful.

Burt

Anyone find a 100% physical shield with the "Weapon skill" art? Feels like that combined with the sidestep-dagger would be awesome...
I picked up a Stone Parma medium shield that covers that. Watchdog Covenant rank 2 also has it covered with a great shield.

Styles

Irithyll

Yeah, there is definitely a difficult spike in that area.

And holy shit, *normal enemy spoilers*
I love how one of the enemies in that area is modeled/referenced after the Gaping Dragon. They were a PAIN to kill though; Much harder than most of the bosses I've fought so far.

I think there is one in
High Wall, Silver Eagle Kite Shield? In the same general area with the big guy with the halberd/axe.

There is an NPC you find in the "settlement" area of the game, soon after 2nd boss, that gives you free levels based on certain criteria. But be warned, there may be some consequences in taking these free levels..

meanspartan

Dark Souls noob here, only experience in the franchise is that I beat Bloodborne a year ago.

Is the Bloodborne "style" viable here? I made a marauder, have been ignoring my shield in favor of dual wielding, and am rolling to avoid damage the way I learned in Bloodborne. It's working in this starting area but not sure if it will permanently.

105.Will

The
Pilgrim
just died at firelink. I have some suspicions on who might have killed him but boy am I happy I'm not a
sorcerer

MilkBeard

Put 6 hours in. Damn, this is great.
Vordt
was pretty tough, but it was all about learning the patterns.

This new area looks really amazing. Kind of like Hemwick Charnel Lane. The really cool thing about it, is that there's so much design here, and there are all these little sound effects and little touches that make the place really atmospheric. Great level design here.

Just got to (Big time spoilers for midgame)
Irithyll Dungeon. Holy crap I was not expecting that. Between that, Hellfire Tauros Demon and the Stone Stray Demon I am loving all of the throwbacks!
I'm so hyped for this game right now.

Also,
went into Sulyvahn's fight with two jolly cooperators and still barely made it out. I know these bosses may be easy to read sometimes, but it seems like they never let up. I'm still having a rough time of things. I'm level 40 now. Am I where I should be, because I feel like I'm taking a shit ton of damage from every enemy.

MilkBeard

Dark Souls noob here, only experience in the franchise is that I beat Bloodborne a year ago.

Is the Bloodborne "style" viable here? I made a marauder, have been ignoring my shield in favor of dual wielding, and am rolling to avoid damage the way I learned in Bloodborne. It's working in this starting area but not sure if it will permanently.

It absolutely is. Souls games have always been viable through rolling, and DSIII has more of the quick natured design elements from Bloodborne. There are some moments where it might be a good idea to block, but you can get through most bosses through perfectly timed dodges.

Tevious

He's just shooting anyone who's in the area.
Go talk to him and maybe he'll be a bit nicer towards you in the future. Might even be helpful.

I swear, he was not shooting at me before. I could stand right there where all the arrows are, even after he killed all the enemies and he'd do nothing to me. He was a nice help and then he turned on me... that bastard!

There's an NPC in the short bridge/wall area between the high wall and undead settlement. Accept his help and go talk to him in the shrine. He'll let you level up for free every x death.

Small warning, though: the free levels will make you ugly as fuck.

My plan is to just wear a helm that covers my face. Problem solved!

meanspartan

It absolutely is. Souls games have always been viable through rolling, and DSIII has more of the quick natured design elements from Bloodborne. There are some moments where it might be a good idea to block, but you can get through most bosses through perfectly timed dodges.

Awesome, thanks!

Quick follow up, when I do have the shield equipped, I don't really know when I'm "supposed to" block as opposed to just dodge. Is there any tips as to this?

GavinGT

Banned
Some guy just invaded me while I was working my way through a level. He instantly started destroying me. I was down to a shred of health but managed to trick him and break his line of sight temporarily. I dropped down into a secret area and hid behind a column. He furiously searched the area, every so often losing bits of health (I could see his name pop up when this happened). I left and made dinner, came back, and he was still at it. It must have been 20 minutes. He was down to a pixel of health left and he finally checked my hiding spot. He dropped down, temporarily stunned from the fall, and I slashed him once to finish him off.

Auctopus

In (area)
Smouldering Lake
I just found a Pyromancy Tome on (NPC)
The corpse of Quelana and it has some nice lore relating to the player of DS1

Also,
went into Sulyvahn's fight with two jolly cooperators and still barely made it out. I know these bosses may be easy to read sometimes, but it seems like they never let up. I'm still having a rough time of things. I'm level 40 now. Am I where I should be, because I feel like I'm taking a shit ton of damage from every enemy.

I found throughout my playthrough that enemies do way more damage than previous entries. Also my stamina drains like mad and I even have the chloranthy ring.

HAHA FINALLY DID IT! [Late game optional boss spoiler]

lcmq7pc.png

aravuus

I swear, he was not shooting at me before. I could stand right there where all the arrows are, even after he killed all the enemies and he'd do nothing to me. He was a nice help and then he turned on me... that bastard!

Maybe he just didn't notice you lol

My plan is to just wear a helm that covers my face. Problem solved!

Heh, same as me. Thankfully the fallen knight set covers my face and looks really fucking cool!

I found throughout my playthrough that enemies do way more damage than previous entries. Also my stamina drains like mad and I even have the chloranthy ring.

Glad to know it's not just me! I have Cloranthy too, and it still isn't fast enough. Any advice on damage mitigation? It's just crazy how many enemies take off what seems like almost half my bar with one hit. I have about 17 Vig at the moment.

Mendrox

The Dark Sigil gives you the third ending, if you have finished Anris questline. But you are not allowed to cure the curse. You still have to stay hollow too and finish the questline or else you won't get the amazing third ending

Where do you get the torch?? I need it for those bugs but don't have it=(

Buy it from the old lady.

MilkBeard

Awesome, thanks!

Quick follow up, when I do have the shield equipped, I don't really know when I'm "supposed to" block as opposed to just dodge. Is there any tips as to this?

You just gotta go by feel. Some people turtle through the whole game, just shield up, and picking away. I used to do this, but after playing Bloodborne, the quick natured and aggressive style is much more exciting.

If you just absolutely can't dodge an attack for whatever reason, then it might be a good idea to try using a shield to help mitigate the damage. Basically, one of the simple tactics is to circle strafe with a shield up while you start to recognize the attack patterns of an enemy. Most attacks are dodgeable though.

GorillaJu

Hey guys I have a couple questions. I'm 8 hours in, so take that as you will when it comes to spoilers:

1. Is there a soul magic trainer that isn't
the pilgrim?
If yes, can you
find them before the fight with the giant tree?
2. Without spoiling anything,
will "finding my true strength" with the pilgrim screw me over?
3. Does the
faith lady's protector show up at Firelink anywhere?

Thanks!

1. Yes, yes if you skip that boss
2. Yes there is a consequence, no it doesn't break your game
3. Yes

Sane_Man

I've been using the blue sentinels covenant most of the game and I've never been called in. I'm not sure how I'm ever gonna get the platinum at this rate. Am I doing something wrong? You just have the covenant equipped right and you should get called in to kill invaders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom