• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lock on in this game is particularly terrible for some reason. Amount of times I got hit because game arbirarely decided that enemy isn't in my sight when he was and I totally saw him coming...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
SO! The Claymore that you find quite early in the High Walls.

Good enough weapon to max out and carry a player all the way through to the end?

GavinGT

Banned
Hi guys, was hoping you could help me. I'm loving the game. I picked the Pyromancer class because I liked the idea of fusing spells with Bloodborne-esque agility and close-quarters combat.

However, I can never shake the sense that I'm doing something wrong in this game. Obviously I'll keep putting points in Faith and Intelligence to improve my spells, but the main area I want to focus on is my one-handed weapons, as I see the spells as an alternative option, really.

Where else should I be putting points? Vigor, Endurance, and Strength? I'm not quite sure. Bloodborne is my favourite one of these games, so ideally I'd like to play it similarly to that - albeit with a bit of spell casting thrown in for variety.

Should I start again, or can I mould my character into what I want over time?

(I'm almost done with the second boss by the way, if it helps.)

THANKS!

Vigor, Endurance, and Strength will see you through for a while. Lots of Faith and Intelligence early on is probably a bad idea, and besides the Pyro's already pretty well off in that department. You'll eventually want to invest in Vitality as well, if only to help your equip load. You might also find that you need at least some Dex in order to equip a weapon you really like. You really have to spread your points around more in DS3 than we're used to from previous games.

Zocano

Faith merchant questline spoiler:
She suddenly disappeared, so I went out exploring and the dude with the big hammer who was protecting her was hostile to me saying she's dead. How??

You didn't pay attention to the things she said when you gave her tomes?

Lock on in this game is particularly terrible for some reason. Amount of times I got hit because game arbirarely decided that enemy isn't in my sight when he was and I totally saw him coming...

Yeah, the range of the lock-on is bad. I'm not sure if it's been reduced or if it's the same as in DS1 (I haven't played 2), but even if it's the latter, it's still a problem, as enemies are far faster in DS3, so they can close the distance between you much quicker. You need to be able to lock onto them from further away.

Vigor, Endurance, and Strength will see you through for a while. You'll eventually want to invest in Vitality as well, if only to help your equip load. You might also find that you need at least some Dex in order to equip a weapon you really like. You really have to spread your points around more in DS3 than we're used to from previous games.

That's brilliant, thank you so much for the response! I was worried that by playing this way I'd be spreading myself too thin across the various attributes, but it seems, like you say, that's natural in this game.

Lyng

So finally found the solution to my black screen crashes. If others have these issues make sure you increase your virtual memory to above 2000 and run the game in administrative mode.

So beat the
frost doggy
and the tutorial boss. What amazes me the most is the combat. I have never tried a more rewarding combat system in an rpg. When ever I die I know its because I messed up or didnt calculate my swing correctly.
I can certainly see where Day9 is coming from when calling this one of the most fair games ever made.

Footos22

Managed to beat
Vordt
on my own. Quite proud of myself. Even though it took me quite a few attempts.

I beat him second time would of had him first but went in there with 0 estus and still almost beat him.

his breath attack takes so long you can pretty much wipe him out from behind when he does it lol

where is the claymore on the high wall?

I found my first mimic. that fucker was first chest I found too lol im using that axe atm seems pretty powerful for that stage of the game.

I'm a pyromancer, which means I can't really be spending level ups on STR or DEX, as I already have to juggle FAI, INT, VIG, and END. I found an Axe near the start of the game that doesn't scale, which dealt great damage at the time, but is starting to drop off, even after reinforcing a few times. Even when I look at infusing weapons, nothing else I have seems to be as good.

I'm now at the
Road of Sacrifices
; when will I get a better weapon? I know my choices are extremely limited with 12 STR and 8 DEX, but as I said, I can't invest many levels ups in them. My FAI and INT are both 20, is it not possible to infuse weapons so they scale with those instead?

Sorry to repost this, but I really am getting a bit tired of this axe. On top of it starting to feel a bit underpowered, it's also got terrible range. I know I'm not going to be getting amazing weapons with a pyromancer build, but surely I'm not stuck with this same axe for the rest of the game. For those of you who are going for a spellcaster build, what weapons do you use, and how are you infusing them (if at all)?

Quick question: Is there a reason I can't infuse the Battle Axe or the Mace with the Heavy Gem / Strength scaling? Am I missing something or is it not possible at all?

jaekeem

boss spoilers for mid game I think
beat dancer on first try! :D

yhorm fight was a disappointment. why did they make him into such a boring gimmick? it doesn't even take skill. his entire moveset is so slow/telegraphed

Mandelbo

I don't think you have a choice.
You have to eventually place the ashes on all the thrones to go to the last boss, IIRC.

Ah, alright then.

Looking around for the D
ark Sword
now, since someone posted its moveset in the import OT and it looked cool

Mendrox

boss spoilers for mid game I think
beat dancer on first try! :D

yhorm fight was a disappointment. why did they make him into such a boring gimmick? it doesn't even take skill. his entire moveset is so slow/telegraphed

Your second mentioned boss has a special cutscene and story line if you have done a certain NPC questline. Makes the boss fight 100% better just for story reasons.

what should I do differently

How about mentioning what your spoiler tags could contain? e.g. mid game boss spoilers

brainslug

So, the areas of this game are really damn huge. So many paths, so easy to get lost.

I love it.

Just beat D
eacons of the Deep
, pretty cool fight, although I'm not really a fan of
mob bosses

Corpekata

Banned
Where's the Pyromancer trainer? I'm not a pyro so not a big deal but I've got a scroll already so feeling like I might have missed them.

GavinGT

Banned
Sorry to repost this, but I really am getting a bit tired of this axe. On top of it starting to feel a bit underpowered, it's also got terrible range. I know I'm not going to be getting amazing weapons with a pyromancer build, but surely I'm not stuck with this same axe for the rest of the game. For those of you who are going for a spellcaster build, what weapons do you use, and how are you infusing them (if at all)?

I just checked my level 67 guy. He has 3 weapons that scale with either Int or Faith. The nearest one is 2 areas away from you (assuming you take the right path):

This one is maybe 8 hours away but it's got B Faith scaling (wiki has an error that shows no faith scaling, but trust me it's a B):

Jinjo

Put some levels into dex and faith until you can one-hand a long sword or katana. Then infuse it into fire/magic/lightning or dark whatever you prefer. I think fire scales well with both faith and int.

Craydays

Neo Member
Guys, need your advice on leveling Knight.

I tried Herald and Pyromancer before choosing the Knight. Liked how Herald can additionally heal himself using miracle. Harassing enemies with fireballs as Pyromancer felt quite handy too (however, I think I may use bow instead of magic).

So, I want to develop my Knight beyond straightforward shield/sword master. Considering my observations on named classes and you experience what you may recommend?

It's my first DS game.

I tried Herald and Pyromancer before choosing the Knight. Liked how Herald can additionally heal himself using miracle. Harassing enemies with fireballs as Pyromancer felt quite handy too (however, I think I may use bow instead of magic).

So, I want to develop my Knight beyond straightforward shield/sword master. Considering my observations on named classes and you experience what you may recommend?

It's my first DS game.

Your class matters little in the long run, all miracles, pyromancies and spells can be obtained within the game, as can most armor sets and weapons.

co1onel

It's my first DS game.

Don't put too much thought into the starting class. You can evolve your character into whatever you want as you level up and find new equipment.

Any weapon can carry you to the end.

You can..
but it will make a NPC questline over.

Yeah. Killed her and took her ashes and katana. I guess I'll keep the dark sigil for NG+.

It's strange how the game wants you to get rid of it though. Where's the balance to it? What's the give and take? Cus right now I'm really regretting healing the dark sigil sign.

Jobbs

Banned
Finally found a new faith catalyst.. Saint tree bellvine.

What's the point though? It has the same art as my chime, worse scaling, and a lower spell buff rating... Yet it also has a higher faith requirement. Is there something I'm missing?

aravuus

Seriously, a jump scare? Picked up a random item in the
Irithyll Dungeon
and this loud fucking screaming noise plays

Kinda obnoxious

No idea what I'm doing here though, I'm not nearly done with the upper area

e: ookay lol, I see what the theme of this area is

pupcoffee

So, the areas of this game are really damn huge. So many paths, so easy to get lost.

I love it.

Just beat D
eacons of the Deep
, pretty cool fight, although I'm not really a fan of
mob bosses

These sorts of fights feel more like unique events than bosses. From could've made some of the enemy attacks more threatening, maybe show off some of the game's
more powerful spells.

sobaka770

Banned
The starting weapon for assassin is really strong vs most early game enemies, especially those knights. So fast. I suppose it's worth to make a raw weapon before investing lots of points into stats?

After finding the 100% phys block shield
Kite shield can be found on Lothric Wall early on by breaking the barrels above the blacksmith area with big undead and dogs, on the opposite end of the room from which the guy ambushes you.
, it makes the early game rather easy, even though that second boss woes...

Audioboxer

Man there's just soo many cool weapons, and armour, but I've got more weapons than I have armour sets just now.

Definitely back to Fashion Souls 3.0. Nice change from BB. Sure many have similar movesets, but it's all about looking good.

Puppen

Banned
Someone help me decide on a weapon to upgrade. I'm going str build knight, torn between long sword, claymore, and irithyll straight sword. Also, do you get fire longsword early? I'm level 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom