• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"connection to steam interrupted, returning to the main menu"

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

repeater

Just started yesterday. My first Souls game after having gotten in on the series with Bloodborne, and I feel like I have a lot of practice to do here. It will take quite a while getting used to dodging and healing slower. First boss took me about 8 tries which is scary since all the pre-release talk had been about how easy that boss looked to Souls veterans.

Anyway, here is a TOTAL noob question: I rolled a pyromancer, but how do I cast my fireball? I've equipped the pyromancy in the top slot, and (I think?) I have changed my right hand weapon to the casting hand -- but all that comes out with R1 and R2 are regular punches.

It's a shame people hardly seem to invade but there isn't a huuuuge incentive to do so.

From has been really harsh to invaders for the past few games. It keeps getting harder and more restrictive while co-op largely remains game-breakingly easy.

I seriously wish I could play with my friends without removing 90% of the game's challenge.

Zafir

is there really no bonfire inside the
cathdral of the deep
? took me ages to finally get to the actual door, even with the shortcut (I eventually died) it still takes ages and now I get in and see a
huge fucking giant
and no bonfire >_>

edit: oof theres another shortcut directly to the first
cathedral
bonfire, thank god lol

That area has LOADS of shortcuts. It's crazy how elaborate that place is. :p

E92 M3

No. Have you found the path
from the Grand Archives that leads you out on to the roof with the stone gargoyle fights?

Yes, I did, but how can that path lead all the way back to the other side across the bridge? They are different areas. The picture I showed is all the way left to the
two dragons that were guarding the door.

Are you kidding? It's a constant bloodbath here, I'm invading constantly and always have red buddies. 3v4 all day.

PS4 or Xbox? Also, what level? Seems to be very hard to get opponents on Xbox.

120v

started lastnight with a Pyromancer, got rekt hard. started a new character as a knight and crawled my way to the second bonfire at the wall of lothric

i don't think i've bombed this much out of the gate in a Souls game before. should've brushed up on my skills leading up to this.... game does not dick around. not that i really expected otherwise though

I had more trouble with the
Blue shard/crystal beast in the starting area
than I did with the first boss. First boss was down on the first attempt but I must have died 6 times on the other guy. o.o

Vuze

Undead S
ettlement
question.
How do I get on this building? There is some loot and a suspicious looking
cage
up there I want to explore but I just can't find the right spot to access it.

http://i.imgur.com/IgTvjSC.png

E: Nvm, got it. Drop down on to the pathway under the bridge. And I also found a new bonfire lol

Just started yesterday. My first Souls game after having gotten in on the series with Bloodborne, and I feel like I have a lot of practice to do here. It will take quite a while getting used to dodging and healing slower. First boss took me about 8 tries which is scary since all the pre-release talk had been about how easy that boss looked to Souls veterans.

Anyway, here is a TOTAL noob question: I rolled a pyromancer, but how do I cast my fireball? I've equipped the pyromancy in the top slot, and (I think?) I have changed my right hand weapon to the casting hand -- but all that comes out with R1 and R2 are regular punches.

Thats odd

You should just need to equip the pyromancy flame in the right hand and cast... You out of FP?

So the starting shield only mitigates 50% of incoming damage when I block.

I see, that makes sense, thank you for explaining. I need to get better at viewing weapon/items stats... it a bit overwhelming to look at all those numbers in my inventory screen and not knowing what they do exactly.

Stop using a shield. Seriously Noomi, learn to dodge roll, you will excel.

By now, plenty of people should've beaten the game including optional stuff...

WHAT THINK YOU OF DARK SOULS III

I'm nearing the end of my playthrough and I think it has a chance to be know as the best dark souls game.

The game never has any bad parts and most of the game is superb,the level design in particular is amazing.

Combat is fast and fun (I have been playing a knight) Just like bloodborne and humanoid bosses are a huge step up from the other 2 dark souls games.

That being said It seems the game is kind of short? I mean anything coming off dark souls 2 with the dlc will seem short.

After I beat it I will have to sit down and think about how I feel about the game as a whole but as it stands right now the game is amazing and a worthy successor to DS1.

d00d3n

So the starting shield only mitigates 50% of incoming damage when I block.

I see, that makes sense, thank you for explaining. I need to get better at viewing weapon/items stats... it a bit overwhelming to look at all those numbers in my inventory screen and not knowing what they do exactly.

There is a 100% physical blocking shield in the first post-tutorial area btw.
Go inside the building instead of continuing to climb down after climbing down the ladder from the roof with the mutating enemy

GorillaJu

Yes, I did, but how can that path lead all the way back to the other side across the bridge? They are different areas. The picture I showed is all the way left to the

PS4, I'm level 105

silva1991

Is it much better to make luck weapon(and stacking that with both gold serpent ring and
crystal mage
sword) for covenant items farming?

oh and I don't know where
Patches
go fir that gold coin

GorillaJu

Is it much better to make luck weapon(and stacking that with both gold serpent ring and crystal mage sword) for covenant items farming?

Symbol of avarice, gold serpent, Crystal rapier in off hand, lots of rusted coins and you don't need much in luck stat. That's 360 discovery even with only 10 luck.

Zocano

PS4, I'm level 105

Well, yah, no shit you'll be getting a lot of invading then. Most people are doing their pvp focus around SL 100.

I'm referring to actual progression invasions. Invading low level, wrecking lowbies. Anything not in the SL100 range at the "hot spots" is dry as hell and it's a shame.

And the window for the watchdogs is tiny. Just playing casually and leveling up and I outleveled the avg player levels so didn't get any invading done whatsoever.

I had a bunch of fun invading around SL20 in undead settlement but it was almost always 1v3 and frustrating.

aravuus

Lost my souls permanently for the first time

Fuck me, gotta get through this
giant. Weird how I can't seem to dodge his attacks, even though it has the same model and whatever than the one in CotD. Could dodge that one easily.

repeater

Thats odd

You should just need to equip the pyromancy flame in the right hand and cast... You out of FP?
Thanks for your answer. My guess is I must have screwed something up in equipping my right hand, I'll have to do a deep dive in the menus when I play tonight. :)

silva1991

Symbol of avarice, gold serpent, Crystal rapier in off hand, lots of rusted coins and you don't need much in luck stat. That's 360 discovery even with only 10 luck.

Oh I just realized that after 5 playthrougs I still don't have Symbol of avarice

where can I get it? pleas don't tell me it's a very random drop from the chests :(

I had more trouble with the
Blue shard/crystal beast in the starting area
than I did with the first boss. First boss was down on the first attempt but I must have died 6 times on the other guy. o.o

I have no idea how you can even die to that first thing, barring you picking depraved...

Cob32

Is that where
there's red eye knights standing? I think you need to drop down from the area outside Dragonslayer armour boss

GorillaJu

Well, yah, no shit you'll be getting a lot of invading then. Most people are doing their pvp focus around SL 100.

I'm referring to actual progression invasions. Invading low level, wrecking lowbies. Anything not in the SL100 range at the "hot spots" is dry as hell and it's a shame.

And the window for the watchdogs is tiny. Just playing casually and leveling up and I outleveled the avg player levels so didn't get any invading done whatsoever.

I had a bunch of fun invading around SL20 in undead settlement but it was almost always 1v3 and frustrating.
Well you didn't specify low level invading. I think most people want to get their build set up before they start PVPing.

The zones you can get proper fights in are kind of limited. But the Watchdog zone is pretty active with NG+ people at lvl 100. I can't go 10 seconds without getting an auto invade as an Aldrich Faithful.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Cathedral of the Deep
was my favorite zone so far. I am TERRIFIED of these
giants
guys, Im not sure what to do with them.
I raised some walls
but not sure why >_>

I cn actually go deeper down to where the second (hell, third) shortcut was, but clearly theres something going on with these
giants

Ehh, I'm getting invaded quite a lot at SL 40 or so. I'm on PC though so maybe it's a bit different. None has bested me yet! (Sometimes it's simply because I have more flasks than an invader gets lol)

Brohan

Almost went 1/1 on
crystal sage
, the boss had like 5% health left and I was sure i was going to beat him but then i got pretty much one shotted.

Ferr986

I hope Bloodborne 2 or whatever's next doesn't have this much fan service. It's a minor thing but the only fan service that's actually felt good so far is
finding a Black Knight.

I kind of agree that there's too much DS1 fan-service. I'm still early but
I have already see Catalina and Astora NPCs, and the Black Knight too (a BK theret makes no sense yet IMO), let alone Andre being in the hub for some reason.

Sane_Man

I feel genuinely guilty invading and killing people but I need to platinum :(

Do I lose my souls if I die as an invader? Also will my sin level be mega high now? I can't find a way to check it. Do I just go to the guy in the sewers to reset my sin?

Oh I just realized that after 5 playthrougs I still don't have Symbol of avarice

where can I get it? pleas don't tell me it's a very random drop from the chests :(

It is.
But if you're lucky, you may find it on the ground where you previously killed a mimic.
For example I killed what I think is all mimics in the game (at least those I saw) and when I went to the one in Lothric Castle below Sunbro's statue well afterwards, it was waiting for me as a shiny.

GorillaJu

Buy a bunch of undead charms (an ash early game near the bonfire between
crystal sage and cathedral
unlocks them if you don't have them available), then hit a mimic. Throw an undead charm to put it to sleep, then hit it again. Every time it goes to sleep it has a chance to drop the symbol. Also, it's said that if you got every mimic possible, the last one you got will have dropped it but you have to return to its location to pick it up. Likely
Lothric castle, near Dragonslayer armor.

Auctopus

Oh, sorry. I wasn't 100% sure where the item was.

Thanks for your answer. My guess is I must have screwed something up in equipping my right hand, I'll have to do a deep dive in the menus when I play tonight. :)
When you hit the right dpad (or left depending on where you equipped it) it should show the "flame" where the axe was. If there is nothing there you will punch, if the flame is there and the blue bar under your health isn't empty you should cast. It take a little while on start up before the flame comes out.

GorillaJu

I feel genuinely guilty invading and killing people but I need to platinum :(

Do I lose my souls if I die as an invader? Also will my sin level be mega high now? I can't find a way to check it. Do I just go to the guy in the sewers to reset my sin?

You can lose souls if you invade as a purple or red. Invading as a blue (auto invade) doesn't make you lose souls. In not sure what sin even does in DS3

Cob32

Yeah, that's what I've been trying but no luck :( Can't find where. Any ideas what the item is?

Did you try from
the platform the white dragon is sitting on? Also not too sure I remember seeing the drop path to it but didn't bother going down to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom