• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Someone help me decide on a weapon to upgrade. I'm going str build knight, torn between long sword, claymore, and
irithyll straight sword
. Also, do you get fire longsword early? I'm level 26.

The one I've spoilered can carry you for a bit. Takes special upgrade stones though IIRC.

There is a lot of straight sword and GS types to try out.

Wow some of those trophies seem really missable even compared to past DS games. Is there a guide to show you what order to do things without spoiling?

pupcoffee

I still can't believe how after introducing the beautiful city of Lothric
the game has since dumped me into the middle of buttfuck nowhere for what feels like 1/3 of the game.

The ground I've been covering looks like meaningless background from any high-point. What the fuck am I even doing there? I'm loving this, by the way. Will the rest of the game take place on one of those snowy mountains I saw during the tutorial?

Gotta say, though, that I've experienced a radical shift in environment since going underground, which is nice but also kinda sad. I was enjoying the Settlement/Forest/Swamp/Cathedral because it all felt like one huge place. And now lol Demon Ruins.

Audioboxer

Wow some of those trophies seem really missable even compared to past DS games. Is there a guide to show you what order to do things without spoiling?

Probably, but just save it for NG+ (if you can be bothered). The NPC questlines seem complex and it'll be cool to see what you figure out yourself.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

You have to go to at least NG++ anyway so it's not a big deal. So nothing is really missable in that sense, you have plenty of chances to get what you need to get.

GavinGT

Banned
Someone help me decide on a weapon to upgrade. I'm going str build knight, torn between long sword, claymore, and irithyll straight sword. Also, do you get fire longsword early? I'm level 26.

FWIW, I'm loving my +3 Claymore. It feels pretty fast for a Greatsword.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is there really no bonfire inside the
cathdral of the deep
? took me ages to finally get to the actual door, even with the shortcut (I eventually died) it still takes ages and now I get in and see a
huge fucking giant
and no bonfire >_>

edit: oof theres another shortcut directly to the first
cathedral
bonfire, thank god lol

What drops a "demon soul"? Somehow the weapons for that showed up in my boss weapon list after defeating the
Stray Demon
, but I don't think I ever got the soul itself.
I did get the Stray Demon's Soul though of course

Brohan

Keep getting invaded in the road of sacrifices, hiding from one as we speak.

Camouflage is awesome in this game Xd.
He must have ran past me a dozen times.

Edit: the guy doesn't give up either, he must have been looking for me for a solid 10 minutes now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
By now, plenty of people should've beaten the game including optional stuff...

WHAT THINK YOU OF DARK SOULS III

E92 M3

Can someone please help me getting this item? It's a late game (
Lothric castle
) area with picture spoil-tagged

7C4IXaE.jpg

Auctopus

Maybe have a separate thread for this? Lore/criticisms/praise etc.

It's the best Dark Souls. The bosses don't feel as iconic and 1 will always be my favourite but 3 is just so consistent and great.

Can someone please help me getting this item? It's a late game (
Lothric castle
) area with picture spoil-tagged

7C4IXaE.jpg

Can you not get it from
following the route round the roof with the gargoyles?

aravuus

Not sure I get the
jailer's
(?) attack in the
Irithyll Dungeon
. The one that lowers your max HP.
Is it some sort of a fog or smoke that does it? Cause some seem to appear around them when they do it, but the range is insane and there's no indication as to where you will take damage and where you won't. I was standing like 30 meters away from one and my max HP dropped super low.

Brohan

The guy has actually been breaking stuff in my vicinity.
Can't believe i haven't been found yet haha.

I feel guilty but I am having too much fun.

GorillaJu

Not sure I get the
jailer's
(?) attack in the
Irithyll Dungeon
. The one that lowers your max HP.
Is it some sort of a fog or smoke that does it? Cause some seem to appear around them when they do it, but the range is insane and there's no indication as to where you will take damage and where you won't. I was standing like 30 meters away from one and my max HP dropped super low.

If they are looking at you and their lantern is glowing red you are losing HP. Knock them on their backs to halt the curse.

Finally got to play last night!!!

Started deprived and fuuuuuuuuuuuuck it was tough

Actually... First boss isnt THAT horrible its just you have to approach the fight different since you are so weak

He definitely has a pattern and strategy but his movset was delightfully brutal and robust

More in a bit

E92 M3

Maybe have a separate thread for this? Lore/criticisms/praise etc.

It's the best Dark Souls. The bosses don't feel as iconic and 1 will always be my favourite but 3 is just so consistent and great.

Can you not get it from
following the route round the roof with the gargoyles?

Do you mean from the boss arena? I tried to find a route and couldn't figure it out. Might be missing something obvious lol

drotahorror

Been out a day and plenty of people should've beaten it by now? I'm playing it like it's the last game I'll ever play and I haven't beaten it. I just got to
Anor Londo

I'm surprised FromSoftware were able to pull of the 'gets more difficult as you progress' thing. I'm actually taking a break. These last couple of zones have been brutal for me.

vladisaac

I started the game yesterday (played 2 hours) on my underspecs laptop -the game runs at 40fps in low- and the game feels so great (minus the nausea due to motion sickness)!

I never played with Pyromancy in others Dark Souls, so I decided to start with this class. It will take quite some time before I am used to how reactive/agressive/fast the ennemies are.
The melancholy atmosphere, the amazement when arriving in front of a panorama, the horror-esque elements (erk, those black things are creepy)... the series continue to shine in the Art department.

A shame that I am stuck at work right now, as I am quite excited to continue exploring the world of Lothric!

noomi

Alright.... so I finally had about an hour yesterday to sit down and play. Love this shit.

Beat the first boss, and made the
katana guy
fall of the ledge somehow.... weird.

Anyways... having played Bloodborne I feel pretty good about DS3 but I do have some questions....

I don't think I'm using the shield properly, am I supposed to be able to block attacks from a boss with it? It seems I just get hit right through it and am unable to stop any incoming attacks.

Also, I am having a really hard time trying to parry lol. I guess I need the perfect timing to stop an attack and then just hit back with a normal (r1) attack?

Finally is there a move/combo list somewhere I can check out, I feel like I'm missing out on so much. I just realized yesterday I can two hand a sword for even stronger attacks :eek:

pupcoffee

I hope Bloodborne 2 or whatever's next doesn't have this much fan service. It's a minor thing but the only fan service that's actually felt good so far is
finding a Black Knight.

Alright.... so I finally had about an hour yesterday to sit down and play. Love this shit.

Beat the first boss, and made the
katana guy
fall of the ledge somehow.... weird.

Anyways... having played Bloodborne I feel pretty good about DS3 but I do have some questions....

I don't think I'm using the shield properly, am I supposed to be able to block attacks from a boss with it? It seems I just get hit right through it and am unable to stop any incoming attacks.

Also, I am having a really hard time trying to parry lol. I guess I need the perfect timing to stop an attack and then just hit back with a normal (r1) attack?

Shields have a Damage reduction rating. Basically look at its stats. If physical reduction isnt 100 then you are taking damage every time you block a hit. Its just reduced by the percentage listed (50%ish for the starting shields)

noomi

Shields have a Damage reduction rating. Basically look at its stats. If physical reduction isnt 100 then you are taking damage every time you block a hit. Its just reduced by the percentage listed (50%ish for the starting shields)

So the starting shield only mitigates 50% of incoming damage when I block.

I see, that makes sense, thank you for explaining. I need to get better at viewing weapon/items stats... it a bit overwhelming to look at all those numbers in my inventory screen and not knowing what they do exactly.

Auctopus

Do you mean from the boss arena? I tried to find a route and couldn't figure it out. Might be missing something obvious lol

No. Have you found the path
from the Grand Archives that leads you out on to the roof with the stone gargoyle fights?

Edit:
It's around the same floor as where you kill the Crystal Sage.

pupcoffee

It's not even fan service, it's all there for lore reasons and to tie up the story

That's what makes the
Black Knight
work as a nostalgic call-back. But I mean there's silly stuff like
the onion knight umming and ahhing, hidden slaughtered mushroom enemies and stuff that's there because it became a meme after Dark Souls 1.

So the starting shield only mitigates 50% of incoming damage when I block.

I see, that makes sense, thank you for explaining. I need to get better at viewing weapon/items stats... it a bit overwhelming to look at all those numbers in my inventory screen and not knowing what they do exactly.

Snag the Leather Shield at the first Vendor

Itll get you by for the time being with 85% reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom