• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

noomi

Stop using a shield. Seriously Noomi, learn to dodge roll, you will excel.

Just be prepared to get good at it.

Enemies are tough and chain attacks/close distance quickly

You really have to be clever and on your toes in this game!!!

Hah, but but but!

That's how I defeated the first boss, fucking rolled all over the place and tried to get behind him.

FAST AS A MOFO!

There is a 100% physical blocking shield in the first post-tutorial area btw.
Go inside the building instead of continuing to climb down after climbing down the ladder from the roof with the mutating enemy

Snag the Leather Shield at the first Vendor

Itll get you by for the time being with 85% reduction

Thanks for the tips guys, haven't even gotten there yet so I'll keep an eye open for these vendors. Literally beat the first boss, and had to call it quits. Will try and squeeze in another hour tonight... hopefully :p

Zeliard

I think I've spent literally half or more of my time so far invading, putting down summon signs, or entering another game as a Blue Sentinel. Too much fun.

A lot of it certainly has to do with the game being so new, but it's all instant, especially invading. I lay down my red stone and invade a few seconds later, every time.

Invasions are rough, though, haha. 1v3 virtually every time. Exhilarating, though! It's also fun to trick and lure their friendly phantoms into areas with enemies, especially in the
Road of Sacrifices with the giant crabs and wooden stake guys.
I've only had one laggy mess of a PvP match with cross-region enabled.

Does feel a bit odd invading when I'm wearing my Blue Sentinel ring, but I like to think it balances my karma out. :p I do help people out a lot more than I invade in these games, ultimately.

GorillaJu

*shrug*

It killed me numerous times. Even one shotted me as a knight. I guess I am just not as skilled as ole Hentailover. :eek:

Don't fall for his tricks. It's not an easy mob just take it really slowly, dodge aggressively to the sides and only hit it once or twice max before backing off. If it staggers walk up to it for a visceral.

Menthuss

I have no idea how you can even die to that first thing, barring you picking depraved...

I died like 10 times to him :p. Being depraved and having a useless shield probably didn't help.
His
1st phase was easy peasy but the 2nd constantly screwed me over. I always seem to have issues with keeping track of the movements of non-humanoid bosses though.

GorillaJu

I think I've spent literally half or more of my time so far invading, putting down summon signs, or entering another game as a Blue Sentinel. Too much fun.

A lot of it certainly has to do with the game being so new, but it's all instant, especially invading. I lay down my red stone and invade a few seconds later, every time.

Invasions are rough, though, haha. 1v3 virtually every time. Exhilirating, though! It's also fun to trick and lure their friendly phantoms into areas with enemies, especially in the

Does feel a bit odd invading when I'm wearing my Blue Sentinel ring, but I like to think it balances my karma out. :p I do help people out a lot more than I invade in these games, ultimately.

Don't feel bad. These dudes summon too much help, all those spirits upset the balance of worlds! You're keeping the equilibrium of the universe.

Don't fall for his tricks. It's not an easy mob just take it really slowly, dodge aggressively to the sides and only hit it once or twice max before backing off. If it staggers walk up to it for a visceral.

Yeah once I stopped trying to be reckless and took it slow I got him :)

Thanks for the tips though! Just found it funny that I died to that guy so many times and then the boss was a cake walk lol.

noomi

Is this something I will gain access to later? I would love to try and summon some people into my world to play with and help me defeat bosses.

Zeliard

Is this something I will gain access to later? I would love to try and summon some people into my world to play with and help me defeat bosses.

You can do that very early on. You just need to be in Ember (or Lord of Cinder form, whatever they call it) and then activate the white signs you see on the ground.

Blue Sentinel is something different. That allows you to enter someone else's game to help them as a Blue Phantom when they're being invaded.

Invasions are rough, though, haha. 1v3 virtually every time. Exhilarating, though! It's also fun to trick and lure their friendly phantoms into areas with enemies, especially in the

I can't get summoned as a blue sentinel for the life of me. I'm getting invaded plenty though.

*shrug*

It killed me numerous times. Even one shotted me as a knight. I guess I am just not as skilled as ole Hentailover. :eek:

Git gud scrub /s

It's less that I am bragging and more that I am disappointed. I saw the sign "turn back" and was like "OMG, here goes, classic super difficult early enemy! My frist death coming. And it ended up
being a massively predictable and slow lizard that is completely useless as long as you strafe to the right

I died like 10 times to him :p. Being depraved and having a useless shield probably didn't help.
His
1st phase was easy peasy but the 2nd constantly screwed me over. I always seem to have issues with keeping track of the movements of non-humanoid bosses though.

I was talking about
lizard. Boss itself could kill somebody, it caught me of guard and I used all my estus as a result

But yeah, depraved would have way more trouble with either.

pupcoffee

Stumbling upon
curse-frogs while trudging very slowly through the swamp
has to be the worst thing that'll happen to me in this game. Pure, instant nightmare fuel. But I get the feeling
being cursed doesn't halve your health this time :(

Anyone knows whether there is some secret in the first real area?

With all the statues and the candles? When you go right, at the end you see some statue on a carpet.
Anything you can do there?

Only 7 hours in but on a mechanical level this game is infinitely much better than dark souls 2 was.

Enemies don't 360 degree track spin mid animation (so you can actually use your movement to side step attacks instead of having to roll for everything) , so far hitboxes have always behaved exactly like I expect them to based on enemy animations and the learning curve is much much much smoother than in older souls games.

The combat feels very smooth and responsive, I never feel like I'm fighting input lag or animation delays.

The world design is nice too so far: it feels coherent, shortcuts make sense, I'm able to see other areas of the game that I've already been to or am about to go to and their locations make sense. It feels (so far, I've only killed 3 main bosses aside from the tutorial boss) like a coherent and much more believable world compared to DS2's nonsensical mess.

10/10 game so far

silva1991

It is.
But if you're lucky, you may find it on the ground where you previously killed a mimic.
For example I killed what I think is all mimics in the game (at least those I saw) and when I went to the one in Lothric Castle below Sunbro's statue well afterwards, it was waiting for me as a shiny.

Will try to kill them all. it sucks tho because there way too many in this game

Buy a bunch of undead charms (an ash early game near the bonfire between
crystal sage and cathedral
unlocks them if you don't have them available), then hit a mimic. Throw an undead charm to put it to sleep, then hit it again. Every time it goes to sleep it has a chance to drop the symbol. Also, it's said that if you got every mimic possible, the last one you got will have dropped it but you have to return to its location to pick it up. Likely
Lothric castle, near Dragonslayer armor.

Undead charm? don't you mean Lloyd's Talisman? I don't recall any item with that name.

thanx both of you, I'll try both ways.

Por favor, anyone?

From the Curse-Rotted Greatwood boss fight, head down the large set of stairs, and then go up the next set of stairs you see on the right. You'll come across one of the large enemies carrying a pot, who has his back to you. After him is an area where enemies will throw firebombs at you from above (be careful; there are explosive barrels around). If you run to the left in that area, you'll come across a stone bridge. You can drop down from the edge of the stone bridge to a ledge below. Follow it inside to a bonfire, and continue on, and you can climb the building. The pyromancer is at the top.

GorillaJu

Will try to kill them all. it sucks tho because there way too many in this game

Undead charm? don't you mean Lloyd's Talisman? I don't recall any item with that name.

thanx both of you, I'll try both ways.

I think they're called Undesd charms in DS3. They definitely are in Japanese!

Yay third boss down
(the tree)
, that was the first one I died against, but only once :p

I appreciated that it was a more creative design.

Lost to
Vordt of the Boreal Valley
after several tries, then I realized jolly cooperation would be the smart thing to do and was able to easily take him down them. Funny I found dodging his attacks in the second form easier than his first. The Lothric Knights that patrol the area before his chamber are still a bitch to fight and I dearly hope I do not have to meet them ever again.

Anywho I do have a question: I ran into a dude who was locked in a prison cell in Lothric did I miss a key somewhere? I searched around Lothric but have not found one.

So is there any way to see how the equipment your about to buy compares to what you currently have equipped? Like an easy way to see oh these gloves arent as good as the ones i have etc.

I can tell I am too used to Bloodborne. I keep going in for strikes after getting hit expecting some of my life to come back. Also I should stop using a shield seeing as I never bother trying to parry and only use it when I have someone shooting arrows at me. But...I love the look of a shield.

I am in love with this game though. Performance is a little nasty in spots on the PS4 but for the most part it's on par with BB and I can deal with it. I can tell you that I will double dip immediately whenever I buy a new PC. Just a fantastic game so far and it can look VERY pretty when it wants to.

Bummed out that I have a busy weekend out of town but when I get back I will dive in.

Lost to
after several tries, then I realized jolly cooperation would be the smart thing to do and was able to easily take him down them. Funny I found dodging his attacks in the second form easier than his first. The Lothric Knights that patrol the area before his chamber are still a bitch to fight and I dearly hope I do not have to meet them ever again.

Anywho I do have a question: I ran into a dude who was locked in a prison cell in Lothric did I miss a key somewhere? I searched around Lothric but have not found one.

Its in that
Kitchen part. There is a dog guarding it.

Question about the guy meeting there:

He asks me to give some ring to Loretta or someone like that. Where is she? I only found her bone in the Undead Village.

DukeBobby

(Early item, weapon, and boss spoilers) Just killed the
Curse-Rotted Greatwood
and got the
Transposing Kiln

I can't decide between the
Hollowslayer Greatsword
and
Arstor's Spear
. Are any of these worth using or should I just stick with the Uchigatana? (I'm a dex player, of course).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im not done with it yet, but I think I can safely say
Cathedral of the Deep
is one of the best zones in any Souls games to date. Fantastic level design

Zeliard

I can't get summoned as a blue sentinel for the life of me. I'm getting invaded plenty though.

Probably a dumb question but are you sure you're wearing the Blue Sentinel sigil and not the Way of Blue one? :p Easy mistake to make.

Being summoned as a Blue definitely isn't as speedy as regular summoning or invading, but I've been having decent success with it.

Also remember that you need to be both within soul level range of the host as well as upgraded weapon range. Beyond that I think it's just a matchmaking thing. I do have matchmaking attempts that occasionally fail for whatever reason. Unrestricting those matchmaking blocks in the options might help.

ogbg

(Early item, weapon, and boss spoilers) Just killed the
Curse-Rotted Greatwood
and got the
Transposing Kiln

I can't decide between the
Hollowslayer Greatsword
and
Arstor's Spear
. Are any of these worth using or should I just stick with the Uchigatana? (I'm a dex player, of course).

On my first playthrough I used
Hollowslayer Greatsword
for the first half or 2/3 of the game. It's good.

pupcoffee

Cathedral of the Deep

I found it to be quite the mind-fuck while playing past my bed time, too tired to think straight.

But does
it, err, lead to anywhere?

I can tell I am too used to Bloodborne. I keep going in for strikes after getting hit expecting some of my life to come back. Also I should stop using a shield seeing as I never bother trying to parry and only use it when I have someone shooting arrows at me. But...I love the look of a shield.

I am in love with this game though. Performance is a little nasty in spots on the PS4 but for the most part it's on par with BB and I can deal with it. I can tell you that I will double dip immediately whenever I buy a new PC. Just a fantastic game so far and it can look VERY pretty when it wants to.

Bummed out that I have a busy weekend out of town but when I get back I will dive in.
I'm having the same issue except its from being overly aggressive when I'm fighting rather than conservative and remembering I have a shield to depend on.

Its in that
Kitchen part. There is a dog guarding it.
Thanks a bunch!

Casanova

Lost to

There is a key down in a cellar after taking out the lone knight. The lone knight is located down the ladder from the rooftops where the transforming blob undead guy is. You'll have to go through three skeletor dogs and tall lanky undead guys who hit pretty hard.

In the kitchen, down some stairs - as mentioned above.
Hope that helps :/

Probably a dumb question but are you sure you're wearing the Blue Sentinel sigil and not the Way of Blue one? :p Easy mistake to make.

Being summoned as a Blue definitely isn't as speedy as regular summoning or invading, but I've been having decent success with it.

Also remember that you need to be both within soul level range of the host as well as upgraded weapon range. Beyond that I think it's just a matchmaking thing. I do have matchmaking attempts that occasionally fail for whatever reason. Unrestricting those matchmaking blocks in the options might help.

No I definitely have the blue sentinels on :D. I'm soul level 43 and my weapons only +3. Whats the weapon upgrade range limiter?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so wheres the equip load ring?

not gonna spoiler tag that, every souls game has it come on

Mandelbo

So the starting shield only mitigates 50% of incoming damage when I block.

I see, that makes sense, thank you for explaining. I need to get better at viewing weapon/items stats... it a bit overwhelming to look at all those numbers in my inventory screen and not knowing what they do exactly.

Be sure to look at the shield's stability rating, too. The higher the stability, the less stamina you use when an attack hits the shield. If your stamina is depleted when blocking, your guard gets broken and you're left open for attacks.

Bluenoser

There's nothing quite like going through a Souls game for the first time. Never knowing if you are going the right way, and wondering if the path you saw but didn't go down has some great loot. The area I'm in now is huge, and seems like there are a dozen different ways you can go through it. Very overwhelming. Not sure how anyone can say this game is linear.

Few things I don't like though.
Enemies - even scrub ones, behave like stone statues when they have you cornered. Usually you can roll into them and they will move slightly so you can roll again to get out of a tight corner, but enemies in this game must have an amazing center of gravity because they won't budge. I died several times before I remembered this.

Really hard to upgrade your weapon early on. Titanite shards are around, but scarce, and you need more per upgrade level than in past games. Maybe this is by design, and I would be overpowered if I had more, but it also doesn't allow me to try different weapons, which kinda sucks.
I got 2 vendors in Firelink, and neither sell these, even after upgrading the merchant with the ash item.

And of course the framerate+frame pacing. I'm really jealous of PC players being able to play smoothly, while the PS4 version is a stutter-y mess. On a technical level, From was not at the top of their game here and I feel Bloodborne was much more polished. In addition to FPS issues, I also noticed texture streaming delays, and entire backgrounds rendered in N64 type quality, and I'm not talking far away places, but backgrounds that you can easily see just by moving your camera to look over the castle wall in the first area.

Still enjoying though- can't wait to dig back in after work.

pupcoffee

Cathedral of the Deep

Halfway through that stage I noticed the
rafters
and wondered if the game would
take me up there.. such a nice moment when I reached the high window/entrance and realised what I was looking at.

His

Trick is

Stay away and run in during first phase

Do the opposite on the second. I stayed clued to his backside and dodgerolled when he jumped. Piece of cake

sobaka770

Banned
Quoting myself.

Anyone?

You can buy a better shield from the vendor if you want, also find my previous post to get an even better one early on. Assassin for me was quite an easy class, your rapier is really good versus most mobs. Maybe being a Pyromancer is much easier but first area should be clearable by pretty much every class. Any specific question?

So the starting shield only mitigates 50% of incoming damage when I block.

I see, that makes sense, thank you for explaining. I need to get better at viewing weapon/items stats... it a bit overwhelming to look at all those numbers in my inventory screen and not knowing what they do exactly.

It's really quite ridiculous this many souls games in they haven't implemented a stat change indicator. They have the red for negative, blue for positive thing, but it couldn't be that hard to show +- numbers as well.

PC people...

I'm on the fence here, I posted in the PC performance thread and it sounds like my specs will run this just fine.

I see a lot of people talking about crashes near bonfires and things like that.

Should I pick this up? I loved Dark Souls 1 and Demon Souls.

Are the performance problems that bad?

eXistor

Beat
Crystal sage
on my second attempt.

Feels good man.

I almost had him first try, but in the end it took me close to 10 more tries. The first 90% of his health were so easy and then BAM!
Ranged attacks from all sides.
. I do blame myself for not noticing
the real Sage sooner, which is actually really obvious

I sometimes want to try a different class but man.....that Knight armor just looks so good. Once I beat the game I will try a different one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom