• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caim

Oddly it seems like there's currently no walkthroughs on YouTube that don't use pyromancy on those Lothric knights. I've yet to witness someone beating them through melee, and I certainly can't.

I'm using Knight and I just 2-hand my longsword and do the battle art that guard breaks and they are usually dead before the stagger wears off.

Zocano

Armor set becomes buyable if you bring the ashes to the Handmaid.

And the weapon drops. 100% drop.

Thats how I got them.

I think it's silly that they let you buy her armor set rather than making it exclusive through the quest line. Oh well.

k1t4j

That L2-R1 is also a parry it easier to parry with that then a shield

I thought the L2 + R1 was just a super fast attack, and the parry was L2 + R2. The parry is still somewhat hard for me to pull off but I am nothing if a patient man :).

These weapon arts make finding different weapons a joy and excitement to try out and see what they do.

KidB

Are there any estus shards in the early areas? Went through the tutorial area and High Wall and haven't found any. Not sure if I missed or not.
I just finished High Wall, there is one Estus shard in the area above the plaza with the fat winged knight. It's inside a room with a halberd wielding enemy, two great axe wielders and some dogs.

Despera

Banned
So I got an e-mail from Amazon stating they couldn't deliver my collector's edition ( even though they confirmed shipping it yesterday)... and that I'm getting a refund since they can't send a replacement order.

Time to contact customer service I guess. fucking hell

Edit:

eFrPUTn.jpg

wait what the fuck!!

EnthronedReaper

Neo Member
Lol really? They're fucking fun to parry practice. Stop watching scrub streams. Focus on oroboro and vaatividya on yt to up your soulsbro game

EDIT: This was in response to someone mentioning no one taking on the Knights head on

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I don't know about common but I personally completely agree with you. I felt like me beating the mutated form of the tutorial boss was more brute force/luck and not thought-out strategy. The camera can't handle it and the patterns seemed to be a bit ridiculous to try to read with how much crap is going on at once.

I didn't really have a problem with it at the tutorial boss. Probably due to his relatively low health, plus the wide arena meant I could retreat and approach at my leisure without too much camera wonkiness. The mutator on the rooftop is the one that's really making me question the design.

I guess it will just take more practice to learn to read the attacks.

Sullichin

Oddly it seems like there's currently no walkthroughs on YouTube that don't use pyromancy on those Lothric knights. I've yet to witness someone beating them through melee, and I certainly can't.

Lol no conspiracy there. They are definitely tough, but you can get them on easy farm status once you get used to them.

They can be parried, backstabbed, and their guard can be broken and left open for a visceral attack.

Just found
Flynn's
Ring. I see it makes a bit more sense how it works now. I liked it in DS2, but this seems fairer.

This area is SO big, it has to be one of the biggest in any Souls games, it's so sprawling, I feel like I've explored every path that isn't a locked door, yet I know there's still parts I've missed. A bit of platforming on the rooftops, amazing level design and the best Souls town yet imo. Gorgeous.

Are there any estus shards in the early areas? Went through the tutorial area and High Wall and haven't found any. Not sure if I missed or not.
I'm up to the
tree
boss in U
ndead
S
ettlement
and I've got 7 estus (if I have 0 blue estus). So I think that's 3 or 4 shards I've found?

Parrying seems a lot harder than it used to be. I can't get the window down at all.
Seems to me that it's intentional. On the off-chance the outside world is taking longer than normal to load when warping to Fire Link, the fog appears in order to cut back on loading screen times. I'm thinking that FROM expects the outside world to load and the fog to clear by the time the player spawns and walks over there. What's your reasoning behind saying it's a bug?

From what I've seen, it takes much longer to load than anything in the game; generally a 10+ second wait from the bonfire. Considering what it's loading (the rest of the area) it just doesn't make any sense, especially when compared to other areas that are far more intensive (both in size and fidelity).

I didn't really have a problem with it at the tutorial boss. Probably due to his relatively low health, plus the wide arena meant I could retreat and approach at my leisure without too much camera wonkiness. The mutator on the rooftop is the one that's really making me question the design.

I guess it will just take more practice to learn to read the attacks.

It wasn't so much a direct problem but my annoyance at the fact that I felt like the only real option was to stay FAR away and not even try to dodge and/or learn the actual pattern. Kind of muscle-ing instead of learning. The rooftop one I fire-bombed the shit out of it. He was apparently quite weak to fire.

BouncyFrag

I only just started and beat the tutorial boss. I almost wet myself when
he transformed.
The soundtrack for the fight was great.

KAOz

Short bus special
I got ripped off by the crow.

dropped sieglebrau, quit, restart, no solaire armor and its still asking for pump a rum.

....the problem is that you quit out. Probably lost the armor that way.

It works differently now. Just leave the item. Then pick the new one up directly.

No quitting or restarting needed ever.

Dubz

I'm using Knight and I just 2-hand my longsword and do the battle art that guard breaks and they are usually dead before the stagger wears off.
Thanks for this. I was about to chuck my controller against the wall last night😂

Well it needs like 10s to disappear if you stand already right beside it on PC. That's way too long considering all other areas in the game don't block you off like that.

I've been playing on PS4, so there may be differences, but I've had it to where the fog has disappeared as I've walked over there. I've also had it disappear after I've stayed there for a while.

neoism

I ran around in there for way too long

A hint for what is referring to with
extinguishing the fires
it's talking about those
little shrines on those mounds with the stairs

Not a story spoiler. More like "don't waste an hour running around that godforsaken swamp" spoiler

lol i stayed their for like 5 hours... ive got ocd with having to get every item i see...

dat mothafuckin big crib...😖

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

The challenge with them is that their attacks are incredibly fast despite their size, so they can easily interrupt your attacks. Fortunately, they also stagger when you hit them, so that balances things out. I find them hard to get a backstab on, but I'm finding it fun to try to stay at the right distance and get a few pokes in at the right time. It seems like a sensible evolution from DS1's black knight duels where I'd just constantly circle strafe until there was an opportunity to backstab.

I really should be using them to practice parrying and weapon arts.

Roussow

(serious location and side quest spoiler, around 18 hours in)

WE IN THERE, BABY, WE IN THERE.
I could tell by the architecture that it was Anor Londo I was inhabiting, but damn that official Anor Londo title card gave me chills. Also holy fuck at the scene in the old Gwyndolyn boss room, I'm so fucking ready to embrace that darkness, son. Lothric going to be Oolacile as fuck once I've had my way with it.

(Spoilers for what's in Firelink beyond that door that requires the 20,000 Soul key to open).

So we've got our Crow for this game! If it's not too spoilery to ask, what exactly does the crow want, I cross referenced all my accumulated items with the two lines the crow was saying, and I couldn't find an item that he'd accept, if I haven't yet come across anything that would clue me in then don't worry, but if not, I'd like to know how to use the crow. Also -- did anyone try to use the "curl up" gesture and wait in the nest for a minute or two? I was almost confident that would have worked.

Second Lord of Cinder boss spoiler (or possibly third I guess, unsure on how linear this progression is yet) Oh and spoilers for a few preceding bosses, too.

I'm so glad we got some overt Demon's Souls call backs, to be fair I was getting some Latria vibes from the Dungeon, but fucking Stormruler!? that's amazing. Awkwardly I didn't realize you could charge the attack to get it to work, so I homewarded out of that boss two or three times until I worked out the trick, at first I thought I'd have to put out that giant lordvessel looking fire-bowl, or stop the Mages outside from keeping it lit, I really thought the gimmick might have been to un-ember the giant somehow. Regardless, not super difficult, but tonnes of fun, which is something I could say for a lot of the bosses so far, I haven't had a ton of trouble -- perhaps my UGS build is just far too strong for a lot of these foes. even the gimmicky fights are thrilling, the gigantic skeleton in the Abyss(?) was a better Nito (at least in terms of incorporating Skeleton mobs), the Decon(s) were an iteration on heavy mob fights like the Royal Rat Vanguard and Celestial Emissary, even more fun than Phalanx. It was impressive on it's scale, I really was caught off guard when I saw how many enemies were in that room -- I knew I'd face a boss, but the scale of it was astounding. Even the Crystal Sage you could see as an evolution of Pinwheel in some respects.

Just a general thought, the load times are fucking great on PS4, even improved over post-patch Bloodborne, almost on par with Scholar of the First Sin, really impressed with this.

Sullichin

Yeah I figured. I think I might have missed that shield.

It's a random drop from the knights.

They can drop their whole armor set, embers, titanite shards, regular shield, greatshield, sword, spear (depending on which one they're using)...

So many drops from one enemy type. And they're fun to fight. Worth farming for a bit after the Vordt bonfire.

Oh boy oh boy do I love my claymore. I'm 14 hours in and I have just started to appreciate the weapon special stance it has. I'm bad at kicking, so the guard-break with massive range is very nice. The weapon can be a bit slow, but it has great range, great damage and the heavy attack has a nice stagger that stops small to medium enemies in their tracks.

But I have a question about weapon infusions, from cleric perspective.
Lightning infusion or blessed weapon infusion? Which would be better assuming I intend to focus on faith (as opposed to str, dex or int). I want to deal as much damage as possible with my hits.

....the problem is that you quit out. Probably lost the armor that way.

It works differently now. Just leave the item. Then pick the new one up directly.

No quitting or restarting needed ever.
Glad I read this!

I also like that a homeward bone gives you the option to go to Firelink now too. It's little things like this that just make the experience so much better.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Man, it's going to be such a pain in the ass to platinum this with so many spells locked behind quest lines and covenants.

Yup, and especially since the NPC questlines in this one are super intricate compared to the previous games.

Zocano

I would like to go to
Londor
in the DLC...

I get the feeling they did a lot of set up with little pay off in the actual game. Seems like the exact place to tie up the majority of the loose ends of this game's particular lore.

zma1013

Yup, and especially since the NPC questlines in this one are super intricate compared to the previous games.

Oh god, are you telling me they are even more complicated now? Am I going to have to once again Google that a character went back to an area which I have zero reason to go back to again nor do I have any way to know that said character would go there?

The section in the Undead Settlement with
Siegfried of Catarina and that fire demon was pretty damn awesome.
Loving the game so far. This area also feels bigger than I thought it would be.

I would like to go to
Londor
in the DLC...

I get the feeling they did a lot of set up with little pay off in the actual game. Seems like the exact place to tie up the majority of the loose ends of this game's particular lore.

From the opening cinematic it seems Londor , is on the other side of
anor londo
. Perhaps the
Undead asylum
, the purging stone item description says its the
land of hollows

Burt

They fixed (Callback to an old location)
Lost Izalith!
So many cool little hangovers, and I found an unmarked illusory wall with some badass gear behind it on ym own to boot. Feels good

Zeliard

The challenge with them is that their attacks are incredibly fast despite their size, so they can easily interrupt your attacks. Fortunately, they also stagger when you hit them, so that balances things out. I find them hard to get a backstab on, but I'm finding it fun to try to stay at the right distance and get a few pokes in at the right time. It seems like a sensible evolution from DS1's black knight duels where I'd just constantly circle strafe until there was an opportunity to backstab.

I really should be using them to practice parrying and weapon arts.

It's a random drop from the knights.

They can drop their whole armor set, embers, titanite shards, regular shield, greatshield, sword, spear (depending on which one they're using)...

So many drops from one enemy type. And they're fun to fight. Worth farming for a bit after the Vordt bonfire.

It's also something you can conveniently do while waiting for someone to summon you for that boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom