• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Where do I get
the key to the door in the sewer with rats?

There are ashes near the white tree the giant throws spears at. Explore that area. If you
talked to the giant and got his branch, or chose it as your gift, he won't hurt you.
Give those ashes to the handmaiden and she'll sell you the key to that door for 1500 souls. However if you're trying to go unhollow, that's not how you do it unless I'm unaware. Velka
is there to forgive you for going down the dark path so you can still get the good ending instead of the alternate one.
She doesn't prevent you from going hollow.

To stop hollowing
you need to use a purging stone to reverse it and lower your curse meter to 0 (it's the counter underneath your level on the player stat screen.
Check your inventory in the key items section.
For every dark sigil you have in there, you gain 5 curse points per death. 15+ curse points you go hollow. Yoel gives you one dark sigil for every time you took a free level from him.
Then to prevent yourself from re-hollowing upon death
you need the fire keeper to remove the dark sigils. You can pay her souls to do this. She gains the ability to do this after you hand her the soul of a fire keeper, which is found in the tower at firelink shrine (unlocked with the 20,000 soul key)

Purging stones
are eventually available from the handmaiden for 4500 though I'm not sure where the ashes are for that because I always just kill the NPC for her ashes. If
Yuria of Londor
isn't in your firelink (because
Yoel died before you took 5 dark sigils
), then I'm sure her ashes are somewhere in the world. The first Pur. St. item dropped in the world is located in
Profane Capital
, in a poison pit with the Sadako/centipede monsters.

sora87

Deacons of the Deep
boss in cleansing chapel is just straight up annoying, not even hard just fucking annoying.

GulAtiCa

All rings, +1, +2 and there one +3

damn, wow. Hopefully all rings can be gotten without online. Like if you get a ring via doing 500 successful invasions, hopefully there is an alternative way to get it that requires more time. (Like how Dark Souls 2 handled the big covenant spells that could be gotten in NG++)

Manu

Well, plenty inactive, but 20?
prob 18ish played

checked common route
2 areas+2 optional areas are left, and the final area obviously

short souls.

Whoa. I'm almost at 14 hours and I've only defeated 7 bosses so far. And I haven't even died that much except for the boss I'm currently stuck on.

Did you do all character quests? That's impressive.

Quikies83

Might be a dumb question but how the hell do I equip covenant items? I have the way of blue cloth and a few others but can't perform any actions on the item.
Help!!

GorillaJu

damn, wow. Hopefully all rings can be gotten without online. Like if you get a ring via doing 500 successful invasions, hopefully there is an alternative way to get it that requires more time. (Like how Dark Souls 2 handled the big covenant spells that could be gotten in NG++)

There are two covenants that require 30 successful invasions for trophy/achievement purposes, one that requires 30 successful coop completions, one that requires 30 successful invader kills (host protections), and two that require 10 successful invasions.

However all of them are doable by farming creatures that drop those covenant items with a very low drop rate. I did most of them through their proper routes but one of them was getting too hard to finish so I farmed those. Took about 90 minutes to get all 30 items I needed with 4 +item discovery gear slots on.

UberLevi

Might be a dumb question but how the hell do I equip covenant items? I have the way of blue cloth and a few others but can't perform any actions on the item.
Help!!

Right side of inventory, next to armor and rings there is an individual socket for Covenant items to be slotted. The one you have slotted determines your current affiliation.

GulAtiCa

There are two covenants that require 30 successful invasions for trophy/achievement purposes, one that requires 30 successful coop completions, one that requires 30 successful invader kills (host protections), and two that require 10 successful invasions.

However all of them are doable by farming creatures that drop those covenant items with a very low drop rate. I did most of them through their proper routes but one of them was getting too hard to finish so I farmed those. Took about 90 minutes to get all 30 items I needed with 4 +item discovery gear slots on.

That's great to know. Thanks! :)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is there a bonfire that's close to the tower in the Undead Settlement? I'm sick of having to run over the bridge and dodge the big vase-throwing guys on my way back to try those bosses.

Quikies83

It's on the right side of the equipment screen in like a big diamond shape (I think).

Right side of inventory, next to armor and rings there is an individual socket for Covenant items to be slotted. The one you have slotted determines your current affiliation.

Equipment screen, to the right of your quick bar slots. It's an isolated open inventory slot.
Thanks a lot guys. Totally missed this

Soulflarz

Banned
Whoa. I'm almost at 14 hours and I've only defeated 7 bosses so far. And I haven't even died that much except for the boss I'm currently stuck on.

Did you do all character quests? That's impressive.

Eh, messed up one

Or rather, got the ending where she gets mad at me for joining a diff covenent, besides that, yes.
I'm on the secret ending route

It'll probably be 25hr-30hr total time, but again, plenty of that will be inactive

like right now-- I'm preparing the ultimate strat to beat dark souls 3
Which I'll write up when it's done in 4m 30s!

Hystzen

So how long till someone retextures the Fallen Knight Set to make it look more like Kylo Ren. Wearing this and with my Zweilhander feel like Ren

Is there a bonfire that's close to the tower in the Undead Settlement? I'm sick of having to run over the bridge and dodge the big vase-throwing guys on my way back to try those bosses.

yes, but you have to kill
the frosty knight
in the lower floor on the tower
the bonfire is
just outside of the last door

Eyothrie

Sure wish I understood the point of reversing being hollow. It must be expensive for a reason. Im looking at 45,000+ souls to do it at lvl 34

Soulflarz

Banned
Hi guys just past the
alligator
fuck before I
rithyll
and boy fuck I
rythill its a real asshole.

This is why I straight up refused to die in Illy whatsoever

Those things legit creeped me out so I didn't want anything to do with them again.

i love the game, but is anyone else finding it too easy? maybe is cause i just came off platying scholar of the first sin.

This x100.
I didn't play Scholar though.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
yes, but you have to kill
the frosty knight
in the lower floor on the tower
the bonfire is
just outside of the last door

Bollox, that thing is owning me. His attacks are relentless with ridiculous range, I can't seem to block or avoid them.

UberLevi

Just fought a boss in co-op as a phantom and for some reason it had no animations and was incapable of attacking us. Felt really cheesy just smacking at it for a minute until it died.

Soulflarz

Banned
Okay, so heres my method to beat Dark Souls 3™ when you're feeling down.

The first thing you need to do is boil some nice hot water, let it get to 205 degree F, then comes the fun part.

You want to take your french press out, and pour a lot of Metropolis Redline Espresso grind into it. Fill it with water, wait 4.5m. Enjoy responsibility.

This strategy has gotten me through so many games on sleep loss, I'm sure it applies to Dark Souls III as well, and as such, I figured someone here might enjoy the tip!

Carlius

Banned
very dissapointed with the
watchers of the abyss
boss. considering it was like a
tribute to Artorias
, i was sad it was too easy.

Eyothrie

That doesn't reverse your hollowing. Read my post at the top of this page.

youre right. I guess I worded my statement wrong. I've already used the purging stone to reverse hollowing. But it comes right back if I die since I have 5 of the dark sigils in my inventory. Spending the 45,000+ souls will apparently remove the dark sigils from my inventory, and dying after that won't cause hollowing. I'm just trying to understand the point of spending 45,000+ souls to do this. Must be a good reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom