• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

taybul

Welp this is embarrassing, I died twice to what I'm pretty sure is this game's Pinwheel,
Crystal Sage: I got it down to about 10% health and then when it came back up I went in for the kill but it ended up being a clone, which of course I didn't know about at which point I got barraged from all angles. Second time was just me being greedy.

I think im on my 5 th playthrough now including sl1, i'm really started to get annoyed by how annoying large the areas are now, i takes forever to get all the essential items

GorillaJu

Are there any build primers? Don't want to waste 10 hours on a shit build.

Get your vitality up to 20, even 25. After that, concentrate on STR or DEX depending on your build. For every 2 or 3 points in STR or DEX throw one back into Vitality and Endurance so your HP and Stamina bars keep growing. If you find yourself unable to roll effectively because gear is weighing you down, put some points into the weight stat, sorry I can't remember the English name for it. If you're an STR build, infuse your weapon with a heavy gem, if you're DEX, infuse it with Sharp. Eventually when you're getting to ~level 100 you'll be able to hit the soft cap of 40 in both STR and DEX, at which point you should re-infuse your weapon with a refined gem.

Only put points in INT or FTH to meet item requirements, unless you're going for a hybrid build or caster build in which case good luck because they're shit until end game. Concentrate on one of the two offensive stats intil one of them hits 40, then work on the other one. ATTN is really useless for most builds but is key for casters. It's another one along with Luck that you can safely ignore as a fighter type character.

ogbg

very dissapointed with the
watchers of the abyss
boss. considering it was like a
tribute to Artorias
, i was sad it was too easy.

Yeah I feel like they kind of messed that one up. It could have been so epic but
his damage resist and poise are just too low.
It can be quite hard with certain weapons though

Soulflarz

Banned
Okay, so heres my method to beat Dark Souls 3™ when you're feeling down.

The first thing you need to do is boil some nice hot water, let it get to 205 degree F, then comes the fun part.

You want to take your french press out, and pour a lot of Metropolis Redline Espresso grind into it. Fill it with water, wait 4.5m. Enjoy responsibility.

This strategy has gotten me through so many games on sleep loss, I'm sure it applies to Dark Souls III as well, and as such, I figured someone here might enjoy the tip!

Works, one shotted O
cieros

Didn't even do one full bar of my health
pathetic worm

I like it a lot too but it can be tough when it's often 1v3.

Most definitely. This game is probably the hardest to fight 3v1 because of how fast Estus healing is. At least in Bloodborne you had the heal parries to counteract the fast vials. Here its git gud or get rekt everytime.

I think im on my 5 th playthrough now including sl1, i'm really started to get annoyed by how annoying large the areas are now, i takes forever to get all the essential items

I could see this being annoying in later playthroughs. But you cant really call it a bad thing. The level design is God tier. Im not gonna complain going through each multiple times,

GorillaJu

Yeah I feel like they kind of messed that one up. It could have been so epic but
his damage resist and poise are just too low.
It can be quite hard with certain weapons though

It was epic for me because I played through first time with a weapon that does no poise dmg and I split my stat distribution too much so my damage was shit.

That boss was pretty fucking hard first playthrough and I had to learn all his moves and animations because I could never interrupt him. Second time through I played with a weapon that does proper poise dmg and I pooped on him. You can even keep him permanently immobile by abusing charged R2 on weapons that send human enemies flying into the air.

I could see this being annoying in later playthroughs. But you cant really call it a bad thing. The level design is God tier. Im not gonna complain going through each multiple times,

Yeah i dont think its a bad thing necessarily, personally i'd rather them prioritize the first playthrough experience above all else.

Most definitely. This game is probably the hardest to fight 3v1 because of how fast Estus healing is. At least in Bloodborne you had the heal parries to counteract the fast vials. Here its git gud or get rekt everytime.

Healing is a part of pvp now imo, when you kill a phantom as an invader you get 1 Estus back.
It does make things tougher on invasions, especially in 3v1 fights.
2v1 is the sweet spot I feel, I love trying to split up host and phantom, using items and gestures (honestly) to pull one of them out and of course, hiding behind enemies in the level

Zocano

I abused the shit out of enemy mobs as much as possible. No reason to fight 1v3 head on.

UberLevi

Beat a boss right after the host died but before I was sent back to my world. Wonder if that counts for them or if they need to fight again. I got the souls at least.

ogbg

It was epic for me because I played through first time with a weapon that does no poise dmg and I split my stat distribution too much so my damage was shit.

That boss was pretty fucking hard first playthrough and I had to learn all his moves and animations because I could never interrupt him. Second time through I played with a weapon that does proper poise dmg and I pooped on him. You can even keep him permanently immobile by abusing charged R2 on weapons that send human enemies flying into the air.

Exactly. That's the problem. With the thief knife I had to be super careful and it was fun. I think it took me like 12 minutes, lol

EDIT: No, that was another boss that took me 12 minutes. Still took a while though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is loser clearing not in this one?

Femto.

I'd appreciate it if these were answered with just a Yes or No.

1) Are there any NPCs I should not "recruit" that could totally screw me over?

2) Is there a set of requirements to obtain a "true ending" like in Bloodborne?

Thanks in advanced.

Ppl were saying Faith isnt viable but im making great use out of it. The heal spells make it really hard to die in PVE(I still do tho lol) and in PVP the poise you can apply while casting offensive miracles is great for baiting people into damage.

I abused the shit out of enemy mobs as much as possible. No reason to fight 1v3 head on.
Youre doing it right.
Healing is a part of pvp now imo, when you kill a phantom as an invader you get 1 Estus back.
2v1 is the sweet spot I feel, I love trying to split up host and phantom, using items and gestures (honestly) to pull one of them out and of course, hiding behind enemies in the level

In random invades its always been a part of it hah. But duels are a different story I think. But yeah using the environment to your advantage is the best thing about invasions in these games. Nothing more fun than luring a host into a death hole lol.

Yeah i dont think its a bad thing necessarily, personally i'd rather them prioritize the first playthrough experience above all else.

Agreed.

Zeliard

You can also chuck some Undead Hunter Charms at them. They're the equivalent of Lloyd's Talisman from before. They interrupt and temporarily disable estus flask healing on targets.

Mid game spoiler:
Irithyll Dungeon
is one of the spookier Souls locations. I was clenching my cheeks something serious that whole time I was in there.

GorillaJu

Thanks in advanced.

1) no

2) no

Carlius

Banned
i cant summon two people for the life of me...unsable to sumnomon always comes up on second one. are ppl being summoned that fast?

psychotron

I'm taking my time with the game so I'm only at the first area after the shrine. I managed to kill everyone in several areas. Got the bonfire after the
dragon attack still with no deaths. Killed everyone else along the way but that fat bastard knight put a hurting on me. I had a sliver of health left after that, so I desperately wanted a bonfire or shortcut. After surveying the area I finally found an elevator that leads to a shortcut door!! Awesome, right? Nope. Killed enemy guarding the doorway, walked onto the elevator
and was ambushed. Then I died on my way back, losing 6,000 souls. Fuck!!! I managed to open it after that but I have hardly any souls. Guess I'll farm for a bit to offset my loss.

GorillaJu

Ppl were saying Faith isnt viable but im making great use out of it. The heal spells make it really hard to die in PVE(I still do tho lol) and in PVP the poise you can apply while casting offensive miracles is great for baiting people into damage.

Youre doing it right.

In random invades its always been a part of it hah. But duels are a different story I think. But yeah using the environment to your advantage is the best thing about invasions in these games. Nothing more fun than luring a host into a death hole lol.

Agreed.

Heals are great and useful. It's the offensive spells that are garbo.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Gawd. Too many of these enemies feel like these guys were sitting back and thinking "Fuck, we're out of ideas on how to make these guys difficult. . .Oh I know. Poise for days and no recovery on attacks! Genius! Pro level design!"

Zocano

Mid game spoiler:
Irithyll Dungeon
is one of the spookier Souls locations. I was clenching my cheeks something serious that whole time I was in there.

I wish it was darker. I really like how dark Latria is and that specific area you mention is a bit too... bright.

Thanks in advanced.
Is no
and #2
Is Yes

I got to the area with the
Crystal Sage
boss and I feel like the difficulty has really spiked up a bit. Especially those big fast fuckers with the cross on their back, and the giant
crabs
. Does it just keep getting even harder from here ?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Crystal Sage
boss and I feel like the difficulty has really spiked up a bit. Especially those big fast fuckers with the cross on their back, and the giant
crabs

Mostly just cheaper.

Heals are great and useful. It's the offensive spells that are garbo.

In comparison to Dark Souls 1 and pre patch Dark Souls 2 yes definitely. But I'm starting to think From never intended for Faith to be really offensive in nature. It seems they just want it to be supplemental to your build.

Im having no trouble implementin Lightning Spear with my Raw Straight Sword. But I can see how someone would have trouble if they planned on going around throwing nothing but lightning spears.

Crystal Sage
crabs

I'm not too far ahead of you, but yes. Each area has 1 or 2 mob types that are intense battles.

Although, that is until you learn to fight them. For example, Crabs look tough, but once you figure them out they are one of the easiest things to take down.

Just casually wandering around and the Crystal Sage boss fight starts. Did not look like a boss room lol.

Won first try though, element of surprise doesn't work on me ;)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
No loser clearing.
That's so funny, it makes DSII loser clearing a failed experiment or something. Maybe they should make it a toggleable option.

In comparison to Dark Souls 1 and pre patch Dark Souls 2 yes definitely. But I'm starting to think From never intended for Faith to be really offensive in nature. It seems they just want it to be supplemental to your build.

Im having no trouble implementin Lightning Spear with my Raw Straight Sword. But I can see how someone would have trouble if they planned on going around throwing nothing but lightning spears.

It is disappointing to see magic in general be less effective. Dark Souls 2 was a ton of fun as a Hexer during the glory days. There was a lot of variety in what you could do and it was viable for every encounter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom