• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

ogbg

guys when I use the ds4 the screen keep rotating like crazy

Help!!!

It sounds like the kind of problem you get when the game recognizes both the DS4 natively and the 360 wrapper version through DS4Windows. Have you tried the setting in DS4Windows which hides the native DS4? It's called like 'exclusive mode' or 'hide controller' or something like that. Its all I can think of.

The last 2-3 hours (Road of Sacrifices/Farron's Keep) have just not been fun for me at all.

World design has plummeted.
Enemy saturation and placement is borderline awful.
Areas are incongruent and uninspired. "Oh, it's Darkroot 2.0. Oh, it's Blighttown 2.0".
Road of Sacrifices, in particular, has the worst colour palette I've seen in a long time.

I've played a lot of Souls in my time, but some of the stuff transpiring before my eyes is just ludicrously difficult/punishing.

The giant fucking crabs.
The naked spaghetti-head things in Farron's Keep that have a grab attack with virtually zero wind-up/tell.
The endless swamp that slows your movement.

These things are fine, don't get me wrong, but I feel as if the designers have taken a page out of DS2's book - a page that should have been burnt and thrown to the wind - and just gone fucking nuts with enemy placement, frequency and the sheer amount of things to make you panic and die. There's so little respite in these two areas. So much running away.

And to compound things, they are more or less devoid of design; big open areas with shit littered about and very few directional cues. These places don't feel like DS3 to me - they don't feel like Lothric. They just feel like From riffing on their prior work. The fan-service and degree of throwback is a bit too much.

And then there's the gameplay coming off of BB. It is an absolute regression for a melee player, I've decided. I mean, I'm still turtling; I'm still circle-strafing. Parrying is way too difficult/risky to just throw into the repertoire every now and then to mix things up. Movesets are fine, to be sure, but they're certainly not on the level of Trick Weapons.

I just need everything to lift considerably from here on. LIFT, SOULS. LIFT!

Nazo

Yo I found and killed
Horace
What do I do now? I wen't back to talk to
Anri
in the
Catacombs
but only a prism stone was left in her place.

Zocano

It is disappointing to see magic in general be less effective. Dark Souls 2 was a ton of fun as a Hexer during the glory days. There was a lot of variety in what you could do and it was viable for every encounter.

From what I hear (have not tested first hand too much) but pure pyromancy is still quite viable in PvE but sorcery is just hilarious.

Syder

Welp this is embarrassing, I died twice to what I'm pretty sure is this game's Pinwheel,
Crystal Sage: I got it down to about 10% health and then when it came back up I went in for the kill but it ended up being a clone, which of course I didn't know about at which point I got barraged from all angles. Second time was just me being greedy.
It's way more tricky than Pinwheel. Don't feel bad, I haven't spoken to anyone that's beat him on the first try.

ElFly

Guys this
crystal
sage boss won't die

We've been hitting on him for ten minutes and he just flinches, but his health doesn't drop

Is he bugged? or there's something we are missing?

Serious question about Yoel that is need to know

Should i gain the 5 free levels from yoel of londor, or is it gonna fuck me over? will i lose, health, souls, ect, with the dark sigils, or is it worth it to get the 5 free levels

I can't decide if there is any value in pumping VIT at all...I just really feel like I want more capacity, but if I can get a Havel's ring, it would probably be all that I need

Anyone got any cool/good STR or Quality weapon suggestions? I'm kind of bored of the Claymore...

The last 2-3 hours (Road of Sacrifices/Farron's Keep) have just not been fun for me at all.

World design has plummeted.
Enemy saturation and placement is borderline awful.
Areas are incongruent and uninspired. "Oh, it's Darkroot 2.0. Oh, it's Blighttown 2.0".
Road of Sacrifices, in particular, has the worst colour palette I've seen in a long time.

I've played a lot of Souls in my time, but some of the stuff transpiring before my eyes is just ludicrously difficult/punishing.

The giant fucking crabs.
The naked spaghetti-head things in Farron's Keep that have a grab attack with virtually zero wind-up/tell.
The endless swamp that slows your movement.

These things are fine, don't get me wrong, but I feel as if the designers have taken a page out of DS2's book - a page that should have been burnt and thrown to the wind - and just gone fucking nuts with enemy placement, frequency and the sheer amount of things to make you panic and die. There's so little respite in these two areas. So much running away.

And to compound things, they are more or less devoid of design; big open areas with shit littered about and very few directional cues. These places don't feel like DS3 to me - they don't feel like Lothric. They just feel like From riffing on their prior work. The fan-service and degree of throwback is a bit too much.

And then there's the gameplay coming off of BB. It is an absolute regression for a melee player, I've decided. I mean, I'm still turtling; I'm still circle-strafing. Parrying is way too difficult/risky to just throw into the repertoire every now and then to mix things up. Movesets are fine, to be sure, but they're certainly not on the level of Trick Weapons.

I just need everything to lift considerably from here on. LIFT, SOULS. LIFT!

The Keep Swamp is definitely a bit meh in terms of design. The Cathedral is great though. Youll say "this is Dark Souls 3" again once you get there.

cavefishes

Neo Member

Should i gain the 5 free levels from yoel of londor, or is it gonna fuck me over? will i lose, health, souls, ect, with the dark sigils, or is it worth it to get the 5 free levels

I
got the 5 "free" levels. Your player character will have a hollowed appearance even when kindled (this seems to be the only actual effect AFAIK), and after you give the Firekeeper a certain item you can pay to get your "humanity" back. I'm at ~SL40 and the cost to get rid of the sigils is almost 70k after taking the 5 free levels. You also need a purging stone. I think it'll be a while before I have enough souls all at once to pay that off unless I grind.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I've been on a crazy luck streak in the past hour. Got
Dark sword, Black knight greatsword, dark leggings,black knight helm and a corvian scythe
. Probably not going to get anything for the rest of the game just to compensate.

Hellix

Ever since I killed High Lord Wolnir, my game keeps crashing (nvidia kernel mode driver stops responding). Seems to happen anytime I am near a bonfire. I don't know what the hell happened, it was playing great, now its unplayable.

I have to imagine that the Estoc will be nerfed. I'm on my 2nd play through (did my first on Xbone) and it staggers the shit out of everything.

ElFly

Now I beat the sage in my world, where it didn't bug.

Do I want the spell or the rapier?

e: checking the rapier maxxed out does as much damage as my fire estoc +3

lol

NZNova

Loving the game so far. WAY BETTER than DS2, haha. Kick is pretty overpowered though, it let me wipe out the
uchigatana guy at Firelink
and the
two guys guarding the entrance to Farron Keep
very easily. Most NPCs seem set up to punish you for holding your shield up and endlessly circling but none of them seem to handle kicks and roll-attack very well.

I think I may be burnt out on souls. I just beat
the big tree thing
and I feel like I'm not as invested as I was with Bloodborne. Does it pick up a bit from here?

Dr. Buni

I think I may be burnt out on souls. I just beat
the big tree thing
and I feel like I'm not as invested as I was with Bloodborne. Does it pick up a bit from here?
I am a little ahead of you, having beaten the boss after the one you mentioned, but I share the feeling. Well, kinda, since I didn't play Bloodborne. I do remember being a lot more into Dark Souls 2 back when it was released... It is not even that Dark Souls 3 is a bad game, in fact, it has been awesome so far, but I am not feeling it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Reposting for new page:

I think I found the next Abandon Thread GIF (if someone wants to GIF it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU52Ipc3oCU

Hahaha, the gormless face is priceless.

What does pyromancy scales with now?

Both Intelligence and Faith.

In the words of Miyazaki: Free things are often the most expensive...

I am a little ahead of you, having beaten the boss after the one you mentioned, but I share the feeling. Well, kinda, since I didn't play Bloodborne. I do remember being a lot more into Dark Souls 2 back when it was released... It is not even that Dark Souls 3 is a bad game, in fact, it has been awesome so far, but I am not feeling it.
Same problem here then I switched classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom