• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypron

How can I tell the difference between NPC summons and regular people?

Regular people tend to have stupid names haha. NPC summon signs never move around either.

On the JP version it was super easy 'cause the NPC summons had names written in Japanese whereas players had name written in the roman alphabet.

So I'm attempting to do a pretty full on Int build for sorcery, but it's becoming clear that I'm going to need to melee quite a bit as well. I'm still using the Mail Breaker that I started with. Anyone have some good suggestions for a melee weapon I can find fairly early that will work well with an Int build and not require a ton of investment in str/dex?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Regular people tend to have stupid names haha. NPC summon signs never move around either.

On the JP version it was super easy 'cause the NPC summons had names written in Kanji whereas players had name written in the roman alphabet.
Yeah... it becomes harder to tell when people have legitimate names. There hasn't been a Solaire-type character yet that I've found.

So, infusions.

Looking at my Uchigatana now, making it Sharp just gives it better dex scaling with no major drawbacks (just loses a tiny bit of base damage).

But considering I'm going with a pyro build and will pump points into int/fth/att and won't have much dex until late game would it be better to use something like fire for now? The downside to that in the previous games was running into enemies with resistances which I assume is still a problem.

And then iirc, infused weapons would only go to +5 whereas base weapons would go to +10? Is that the case in 3?

I really like to know everything before I go ahead with this stuff in Souls games lol.

Who want's some stats?

So, I decided to grind out 30 Wolf Blood Swordgrass offline. To preface this, I started this grind at a high enough level that I could kill the enemies and run back to the bonfire to reset them in a rough average of ~10-15 seconds and rinse and repeat. I also started with 5 Swordgrass already in my inventory from item collection and some random drops I got from enemies on my first run through areas, so I'm actually grinding 25 of them. My Luck stat is at 40 and I am using the Gold Covetous Ring, though I didn't use any gold coins or the like.

Time: Took me about 3 and a half hours
Souls: I went from ~3000 to ~4400000
Black Bug Pellet: 23 drops
Titanite Shard: 153 drops
Rotten Ghru Dagger: 13 drops
Rotten Ghru Spear: 35 drops
Ghru Rotshield: 43 drops

I forget if there were other drops. To be honest I went on automatic mode while listening to podcasts during the grind. In the end, though, I suppose it was totally worth the SPOILER stuff of SPOILERS I got from grinding Swordgrass for the SPOILERS. Seriously don't click that if you don't want some hardcore spoilers.

ON TO THE CONCORD KEPT WHATEVER COVENANT BULLSHIT GRIND!

Uh...oookay... The D
eacons
, what a lame boss fight. On to the Catacombs..hopefully It'll get the bad taste outta my mouth. (Dont tell me)

KorrZ

3 bosses down, so far only 1 death to Vordt. The regular hard enemies are kicking my ass more than the bosses so far (damn you red eye knight).

I think I may be burnt out on souls. I just beat
the big tree thing
and I feel like I'm not as invested as I was with Bloodborne. Does it pick up a bit from here?

Late game is reportedly unbelievably awesome so stick with it.

I have been loving every second. When the game was first announced I groaned from burnout, but after starting, I am now hooked.

sn00zer

Man, I am just not feeling this like I was Bloodborne. Something just feels "off" compared to Bloodborne combat. Feels less buttery if that makes sense. And the parry system I straight up just do not get.

Dr. Buni

Same problem here then I switched classes.
Usually I go for spears or rapiers, but this time I am rocking that huge mace from the
second
boss. Kinda nice.
3 bosses down, so far only 1 death to Vordt. The regular hard enemies are kicking my ass more than the bosses so far (damn you red eye knight).
I lost at least thrice to each boss, except the first one, who I killed on my first try. That being said, Dark Souls/2 bosses were far harder to me, but the fact I played both games a lot before might have a role on I finding the DS3 bosses easier overall.

Get'sMad

so like did they just get rid of the
skeleton enemy spawns
in the
Wolnir
fight completely? I fought him one last time in the Japanese version a couple of days ago when the game went to 1.03 and now on the NA version and didn't get any both times.

finalflame

What I think is mid-game-ish spoilers/question:

In Irythil dungeons, how do I counter the crazy ladies that reduce your entire health bar and carry the branding irons? I've been able to take one at a time, but the area with two in close quarters is messing me up.

GavinGT

Banned
so like did they just get rid of the
skeleton enemy spawns
in the
Wolnir
fight completely? I fought him one last time in the Japanese version a couple of days ago when the game went to 1.03 and now on the NA version and didn't get any both times.

That'd be great if true. Such a BS boss fight.

Soulflarz

Banned
"Supreme Weapon Reinforcement
Reinforce any weapon to the highest level."

...glitched :/

Got a +5 illy straight sword, nothing.

edit: it prob wants a +10 standard wep

Corpekata

Banned
How can I tell the difference between NPC summons and regular people?

Typically by their names or summon sign placement. They might be a little off to the ways of the usual spots for players (often right at boss doors or at a close bonfire).

Their names will also often be Adjective Name or Name of The Place, though some RPer types have those types of names too.

Sephzilla

Just want to chime in and say that the entire C
athedral of the Deep
area is quite possibly some of the best level design From has put out for any Soulsborne game, in my opinion. It's a fairly lengthy level that feels massive and is intricate and so well put together that it only needs to use
bonfires in order to work (
3 if you include the out of the way covenant bonfire
). Not to rag on Dark Souls 2 but this area kind of made me remember why I didn't like Dark Souls 2's level design as much, if this was DS2 I feel like it would have been more linear with two more bonfires added in as checkpoints. The boss at the end was a tad underwhelming but overall this is one of my favorite areas in the franchise.

UberLevi

YO. JUST ENTERED
SMOULDERING LAKE

This place is straight up insane. Got my ass handed to me midway through the fight with
Old Demon King
. Any tips for getting past that
giant worm
?

EDIT: Nevermind, managed to cheese it.

Man, I am just not feeling this like I was Bloodborne. Something just feels "off" compared to Bloodborne combat. Feels less buttery if that makes sense. And the parry system I straight up just do not get.

That's what's bugging me. I haven't played a souls game since Bloodborne so i forgot what the combat difference was. Bloodborne simply felt smoother. I do love the variety though but I'm just waiting for it to click like every soulsborne game has (even DS2).

attacked the dragon on the wall with bow and...
Is he supposed to just bail? inside the place he was at is just an axe that seems kind of mediocre or at least it has no scaling(also a trap that got me >.> )

Nazo

I've been all over The D
emon Ruins
and I still can't find
Anri
. Could some one be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

shanafan

Been working on Iudex, the first boss. I can do this, get him to phase 2 and working on a strat.

Anyways, my sword is at 16/55 durability. How can I repair it?

finalflame

They're different games cut from the same cloth. Dark Souls combat is more deliberate and calculated, requires more precision, and generally feels more robust. Bloodborne was dumbed down closer to the ARPG side of combat, while keeping its Souls roots.

You shouldn't really be comparing the two. While similar, they are distinct.

Dr. Buni

Just want to chime in and say that the entire C
athedral of the Deep
area is quite possibly some of the best level design From has put out for any Soulsborne game, in my opinion. It's a fairly lengthy level that feels massive and is intricate and so well put together that it only needs to use
bonfires in order to work (
3 if you include the out of the way covenant bonfire
). Not to rag on Dark Souls 2 but this area kind of made me remember why I didn't like Dark Souls 2's level design as much, if this was DS2 I feel like it would have been more linear with two more bonfires added in as checkpoints. The boss at the end was a tad underwhelming but overall this is one of my favorite areas in the franchise.
It is fun to shittalk DS2, but that game was actually far less linear than DS3 is proving to be.

pa22word

Christ this game is a cakewalk on str. I thought on my first run it was just dex being op that made my run through the game so fast, but I am bulldozing everything right now with my +3 dark sword. Sullyvahn even folded like a chair in front of me without much of a fight...

Once I get my vit high enough to make it workable I can't wait to try out that cathedral knight greatsword I picked up earlier. Should make those asshole knights in lothric much more easy to deal with.

Sephzilla

It is fun to shittalk DS2, but that game was actually far less linear than DS3 is proving to be.

So far I'm prone to disagree. Dark Souls 2 felt painfully linear to me and Dark Souls 3 feels less linear so far, or it's at least giving me a good illusion of freedom. I'm a decent ways into the game and some options are starting to open up in terms of paths. I'm not going truly determine how linear I feel DS3 is until I get a ways into my second play-through though, because even Dark Souls 1 felt a bit linear to me my first time through.

Just reached sacrificial path or whatever its called.
Games great.
2 deaths to 1st boss
8 to the 2nd
0 to the tree.
Really my only complaint is i cant find any new armor.
I just got one new set in like 5 hours of play

MilkBeard

I think he was talking level design, not overall. The level design in DS2 is very, very linear, despite the game allowing you to choose a different order that you can tackle each area.

Vena

It is currently physically impossible for me to fight the blue Lothric Knight at the High Wall as the moment I engage him, my frame rate drops to single digits. Any one have any idea what may be causing this? (PC)

Schwabby

Neo Member
What platform are most people playing this on? I need to choose between xbone and ps4. I prefer xbone, and don't have a pc, but did love blood borne on ps4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom