• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa22word

So far I'm prone to disagree. Dark Souls 2 felt painfully linear to me and Dark Souls 3 feels less linear so far, or it's at least giving me a good illusion of freedom. I'm a decent ways into the game and some options are starting to open up in terms of paths. I'm not going truly determine how linear I feel DS3 is until I get a ways into my second play-through though, because even Dark Souls 1 felt a bit linear to me my first time through.
*spits out coffee*

You have to be joking here. Ds3 is whithout a doubt the most linear game in the series by far.

Sephzilla

I think he was talking level design, not overall. The level design in DS2 is very, very linear, despite the game allowing you to choose a different order that you can tackle each area.

Also, yeah this. The specific individual levels in DS2 were incredibly linear compared to DS1 and (so far) DS3

*spits out coffee*

You have to be joking here. Ds3 is whithout a doubt the most linear game in the series by far.

World design? Sure, maybe. Level design? Hell no.

Just want to chime in and say that the entire C
athedral of the Deep
area is quite possibly some of the best level design From has put out for any Soulsborne game, in my opinion. It's a fairly lengthy level that feels massive and is intricate and so well put together that it only needs to use
bonfires in order to work (
3 if you include the out of the way covenant bonfire
). Not to rag on Dark Souls 2 but this area kind of made me remember why I didn't like Dark Souls 2's level design as much, if this was DS2 I feel like it would have been more linear with two more bonfires added in as checkpoints. The boss at the end was a tad underwhelming but overall this is one of my favorite areas in the franchise.
Couldnt agree more.
It is fun to shittalk DS2, but that game was actually far less linear than DS3 is proving to be.
In terms of choosing where you want to go first, sure. But individuals level design wise its not even close. Like we're talking worlds apart. And TBH ill take being railroaded a bit in trade for greatly designed levels.

Dark Souls 2 let you go wherever you wanted pretty quickly but the levels themselves were meh to okay.

CamelCloud

how do I pick my ending when I have the requirements for the secret one and the item for the other two?

This I honestly don't know. I could choose
between summoning the fire keeper and linking the fire. If you give here the Fire Keeper's Eyes from the dark Firelink Shrine and tell her you want a dark world, maybe it will have an impact?

Ha ha ha ha, holy shit. Either I've somehow steadily gotten worse over time like some sort of sufferer of Git Gud Disease or playing this is vastly different than playing Bloodborne or DS2 because I played DS2 2 days ago just dicking around and messing about with no trouble.

But the first boss has killed me 10 times and I'm having trouble reading his delayed attacks. Like, his wind-up is SO big that I dodge way early almost every time and then when he puffs up I can't see shit captain and can't tell when he's going to attack unless it's a super obvious grab.

I mean, shit, I'm not the best player in the world and my reflexes are about as good as a dead jaguar's and I'm used to banging my head up against a wall like I did in Bloodborne but holy crap, I've watched like 5 streams have literally no issue with this dude and kill him first try but he's giving me such difficulty I wanna submit myself to the Weapon X program to enhance my reaction time.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
If you want answers you need to provide what souls you mean and what your build / playstyle is like.
First 4 bosses down, and I'm strength build. I'm guessing there's really no wrong choice with these, but I'd rather not miss out on a baller weapon because I chose a ring instead.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm as far as the H
alfway Fortres
s bonfire. My verdict on the game so far is that it's fucking awesome. Went back to spend all my souls (need to patch up my equip load and dexterity), but going through my rounds at Firelink noticed that the dude in the throne lets you create boss soul weapons. Only like... there's multiple possibilities now? It's kind of blowing my mind, but I dunno what's good and what isn't, as a general rule of thumb. I've got the first two boss souls and I'm building strength. Don't need a full breakdown, but some nudging would be appreciated.

Just beat the (early game boss)
giant tree
. It was a really fun fight. Took a couple tries, but after I learned it's patterns it went down pretty easily. I guess
it's bark was worse than it's bite

;)

Manu

YESSSSS I KILLED THE FUCKER

I was trying to kill him with
Artorias' greatsword
, but the moveset is too slow for this boss. I changed back to my starter Battle Axe +6 and got him on my first try.

Well, first after the probably dozens of times I died.

Why did I even tried a different weapon in the first place? Battle Axe is bae.

Ogawa-san

Getting teleported from
Aldrich
to the dancer boss, dying and then coming out clueless of where the hell you fight it again is so weird. Am I supposed to recognize the room I was before it started?

Any tips for getting past that
giant worm
?
I just hid behind a small rock behind where the worm spawns, it's safe and the ballista bolts will hit the worm until it dies. Not sure how it goes if you have befriended the giant that fires the ballista, though.

finalflame

I'm in the
Irithyll dungeon
and am having a hard time figuring out how to kill the
maidens that hold the branding iron and have a light that takes down your health bar.
How do you counter that? Or do you just have to kill them quick enough?

What I assume are mid-game spoilers above.

Sephzilla

Couldnt agree more.

In terms of choosing where you want to go first, sure. But individuals level design wise its not even close. Like we're talking worlds apart. And TBH ill take being railroaded a bit in trade for greatly designed levels.

Dark Souls 2 let you go wherever you wanted pretty quickly but the levels themselves were meh to okay.

Same here, honestly. I'd take a more linear world with great individual levels over a more open world with really linear levels. And lets be honest, we're never going to get the magical mix of level design and openness that Demons Souls gave us.

Get'sMad

Couldnt agree more.

yeah it's pathing/progression is def more akin to BB but I don't really mind that....also you can still
access one of the final areas of the game from the first area if you know what youre doing.

Hmm, Pyromancy is pretty cool. Using Fire Surge to try it out in invasions and it's actually not bad at punishing heals and keeping pressure on opponents

Sephzilla

The secret best part of Dark Souls is helping other people beat the bosses.

Feels good man.

tumblr_ma0hfnqyvV1r0ufjso1_500.png

Sullichin

What the hell. I'm summoned for
Abyss Walkers
and I backstabbed him right when
he's about to go into the second phase. It did some damage to his second form, but then he just died immediately.
lol

Soulflarz

Banned
Was that A
ncient
D
ragon
(not the boss) supposed to be super janky?

I just slashed it for like 5m to kill it, easy.

This I honestly don't know. I could choose
between summoning the fire keeper and linking the fire. If you give here the Fire Keeper's Eyes from the dark Firelink Shrine and tell her you want a dark world, maybe it will have an impact?
back up my save, got it :p

Is anyone experiencing some stuttering when picking up items on PC?

Yeppp

Yup

And just using the menu stuff in general

Also

NPC spoiler in the second major area (I think????)

A knight from Catarina????

How in the fuck is that place still... well existing?

I don't know what's going on anymore (not that I knew before). Is this like a prequel to Dark Souls II where we're closer to the era of Dark Souls and some kingdoms still exist or something?

If there are actually answers don't tell me, but if people don't know I would love to hear their ideas and theory.

Moonlight

Banned
Just beat the (early game boss)
giant tree
. It was a really fun fight. Took a couple tries, but after I learned it's patterns it went down pretty easily. I guess
it's bark was worse than it's bite

;)
The hardest part of the fight was
just figuring out the final pustule. Felt so good chaining together every single weakpoint and blowing it up in like thirty seconds.

Ogawa-san

I'm in the
Irithyll dungeon
and am having a hard time figuring out how to kill the
maidens that hold the branding iron and have a light that takes down your health bar.
How do you counter that? Or do you just have to kill them quick enough?

What I assume are mid-game spoilers above.
They're like those singing enemies in BB, if you have line of sight you'll be affected. So get in range, kill them fast and try not to rage at having all of your health wasted.

And there's a good chance you'll die from full health if you get hit and don't get up fast enough.

Yep, no matter what resolution or preset, and I've tried everything that's been suggested around. Looks like only an official patch will fix it. Really annoying.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Fourth boss,
Crystal Sages
down. That was the hardest one for me so far, but still not too bad. Took six or seven tries.

Did a lot of exploring in that and the prior area this evening before finding that boss.

Lots of folks reporting it. I think it is PC only. Wonder what is causing it considering consoles are PC-like and not nearly as technically powerful.

I wonder if it was introduced with 1.03 because I don't remember anyone reporting it when all the streamers were playing on 1.01 pre-launch.

The hardest part of the fight was
just figuring out the final pustule. Felt so good chaining together every single weakpoint and blowing it up in like thirty seconds.

I couldn't find the last one so I just ended up hitting the arm after I broke one of them. Ended up working out pretty well. I was still hitting the damn thing because I couldn't believe I ended up killing it so fast after so many tries, lol.

UberLevi

Is the
Carthus Bloodring
worth using?

Also, finally beat that fucker
Knight Slayer Tsorig
and got the
Fume Ultra Greatsword
Black Iron Greatshield
, and ring that he drops. Dude was harder than the majority of bosses I've fought up to this point.

N° 2048

Just stared. Already getting destroyed. Have to take a break ha
First boss'
second form wrecks me
. I can't even beat the
beast in the optional
path at the start.

I suck.

Jack-Nicholson.gif

Manu

So this is what my boss death counter looks like right now:

Iudex Gundyr
: 0
Vordt of the Boreal Valley
Curse-rotted Greatwood
: 2
Crystal Sage
: 4
Deacons of the Deep
Abyss Watchers
: 1
High Lord Wolnir
: 4
Pontiff Suhlyvan
: HAHAHA OH WOW

The difficulty spike is real.

jonjonaug

Very late game spoilers: When I see things like this or this it's like, where would we even go from here? This game gets so incredibly over the top near the end and I love it. The DLC levels went above and beyond in previous games, but I don't see how we can top what's already in the game.

It feels like this really is the end of Souls as a franchise, or at least the Dark Souls line of games. Maybe we'll get that future-y spinoff Miyazaki talked about once.

Zaventem

Mine arrived today, man it's so rare a game makes me this excited. Don't know what i would do if they give up on this style of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom