• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberLevi

Are people upgrading their base weapons as soon as they get titanite, or waiting for something better? I've been holding on to my titanite and wondering about this. Not even at the second boss though.

Longsword is a really reliable weapon early on and even into mid-game. Attuning it with whatever works for your build is also an excellent move. I didn't drop my Fire Longsword until about 5 boss fights in, and only because I found an objectively stronger straight sword to buff up.

Also, yeah. Titanite Shards are plentiful as hell. As I'm typing this I have 33 and have used up 24.

Man, the Farron Greatsword is so good.

Great for mobs.

Great for single guys, generally knights.

Gets around most shields.

Wrecks dudes in PvP since you whip out the L1 moveset and they shit themselves.

I heard you want a weapon that lets you go under 70% of the attacks in the game like you don't give a fuck, and poise tank the rest.

Man, this game.

Good lord I'm fighting
that big ass tree
and my weapon is hardly doing any damage whatsoever. I feel like I should have a better weapon by now or something.

The warts blow up once you hit them enough and do quite a bit of damage. I thought the same. It's just a different mindset kind of boss.

Good lord I'm fighting
that big ass tree
and my weapon is hardly doing any damage whatsoever. I feel like I should have a better weapon by now or something.

Are you not hitting its weak points? Aim for
the testicles and its arms, both are not covered in bark

bigmac996

Are people upgrading their base weapons as soon as they get titanite, or waiting for something better? I've been holding on to my titanite and wondering about this. Not even at the second boss though.

Yes use regular titanite shards when you can. By around mid game I'd accumulated over 60 without trying. Also, you can buy them from the merchant in firelink after a certain point in the beginning. So yeah, don't be afraid of using em up.

RedSwirl

Longsword is a really reliable weapon early on and even into mid-game. Attuning it with whatever works for your build is also an excellent move. I didn't drop my Fire Longsword until about 5 boss fights in, and only because I found an objectively stronger straight sword to buff up.

Also, yeah. Titanite Shards are plentiful as hell. As I'm typing this I have 33 and have used up 24.

Mercenary

Dex

Fire infusion gem

Mupod

Good lord I'm fighting
that big ass tree

shouldn't matter.
It's kind of a gimmick fight, he takes huge chunks of damage as you destroy the pustules. I easily killed it with a +2 lothric knight sword. I got summoned for it a lot and I did notice it's one of those bosses that is actually harder with summons, way more hp.

Grisby

Finally got a weapon that looks cool and does more damage than my
Claymore
. It's that
ice looking thing/illy
something. Might be keeping it for a while.

The fight with the
fatty knight
and the
fire demon
was awesome. Killed it relatively easily but it was still cool. On to the next section of the game below the
elevator
One of my notes made it to 101 xD
I have not gotten a single like yet, which is strange. I always get one or two on launch days.

Korosenai

Man, the Farron Greatsword is so good.

Great for mobs.

Great for single guys, generally knights.

Gets around most shields.

Wrecks dudes in PvP since you whip out the L1 moveset and they shit themselves.

I heard you want a weapon that lets you go under 70% of the attacks in the game like you don't give a fuck, and poise tank the rest.

Man, this game.

I'm regretting my dexterity build after seeing all of these great strength weapons. I always go strength but figured i'd switch it up for this game... and i'm getting wrecked online. No poise, no power, it sucks.

Manu

I'm regretting my dexterity build after seeing all of these great strength weapons. I always go strength but figured i'd switch it up for this game... and i'm getting wrecked online. No poise, no power, it sucks.

Farron Greatsword is a Dex weapon though? The STR version is
Artorias' Greatwsord.

Just beat P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
. What an asshole.
His attacks weren't that bad, but the fucking second phase phantom :|. And then when I finally managed to knock it out, he started summoning another. Somehow I damaged him juuuust enough so that, right as his main body went to lunge at me for the killing blow, my upswing hit him instead and won the fight for me. The Boreal Valley's been pretty great otherwise.

That fight was not too bad because of his summon move. I was able to kill it in 3 hits so I would take it out while he was summoning it and get a couple free hits in at the same time. He's probably a boss who would be massively harder on NG+ though.

UberLevi

Mercenary

Dex

Fire infusion gem

If going with a dex build, a Sharp Gem will improve Dexterity scaling on a weapon at the very slight expense of base damage. Using it on something like a Katana or Rapier will work wonders. If I'm not mistaken, you can find one relatively early on.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
BASTARD DIED

so, can you parry him? Like hell I was risking it, but yeah

I'm impressed. That fucker took me 4 hours to take down.

He would wreck me in the second phase for the longest time until I figured out to stay as close to him as humanly possible. Backing off just a smidge would = dead for me.

Grisby

I really like the game, but I'm waiting for it to hit me with some heavy DS lore. There have been a few surprises here and there, but since is the last game I'm expecting something big.

Fun stuff, but it hasn't totally gripped me yet. Have to give it more time.

Also, DS3 has the weakest hub world music by far. It's not bad, but it's kind of unremarkable.

Are there any other dual wielding swords besides those that come with Mercenary by default?

Edit: Maybe I can use one handed swords in each hand... didn't think about that until just now. :p

Had my first freeze in
Undead Settlement
as I was waiting to invade someone. Had to open the task manager and close the game manually. Invasions have been nothing but bad luck for me.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm impressed. That fucker took me 4 hours to take down.

He would wreck me in the second phase for the longest time until I figured out to stay as close to him as humanly possible. Backing off just a smidge would = dead for me.

Well, hes weak to dark I think? I used that second stage.

Not like it matters, I had a few vials left.
Didn't block the entire fight, just dodge through everything. Every other timing mess-up, flask it, until you get too low and have to use two at once. As for distance from him, I didn't care, because again, rolling through everything makes it a nonissue.

But yeah, not that bad of a fight, maybe 20m on him?

BizzyBum

I turned on adapative v-sync in the nvidia cp and my game still has screen tearing. Anyone else?

Also DOF looks like shit in this game. Much better off.

Hypron

Are there any other dual wielding swords besides those that come with Mercenary by default?

Edit: Maybe I can use one handed swords in each hand... didn't think about that until just now. :p

Yup there are quite a few dual wielding swords.

Well, hes weak to dark I think? I used that second stage.

Not like it matters, I had a few vials left.
Didn't block the entire fight, just dodge through everything. Every other timing mess-up, flask it, until you get too low and have to use two at once. As for distance from him, I didn't care, because again, rolling through everything makes it a nonissue.

But yeah, not that bad of a fight, maybe 20m on him?

Yeah, he does a lot of damage but he's not bad apart from that. He telegraphs his attacks quite clearly.

For some reason, I absolutely love dodging the thunderstrike attack, it feels great haha.

I think you actually want the phantom alive for that fight. His poise seems to be much lower when it's active.
That sounds like crazy talk. I could barely do anything with the constant attacks being flung at me.
That fight was not too bad because of his summon move. I was able to kill it in 3 hits so I would take it out while he was summoning it and get a couple free hits in at the same time. He's probably a boss who would be massively harder on NG+ though.
I think it took me...5 or 6 hits to kill it. Which was doable in one bar of stamina, but conditions aren't always ideal in battle and for some reason I kept choking and hitting up and making my character kick instead >_>

ryan13ts

Anyone that invades other another person's game, and then automatically runs into a group of enemies and tries to get them to do your work for you is a coward and the definition of what's wrong with pvp in Souls games.

Just throwing that out there.

TEH-CJ

Banned
FUCK DANCER FUCK!!!!!!!!! Inch of health left and one shots everyone!!! Fuck you from and your cheap bullshit!!!

Thinking of trading this in.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever it is, it's terrible. It makes quick motions like swinging a sword seem like they're only animated with three frames or something.

Just like Bloodborne, it's a bit worse in DS3 though. I finished Bloodborne on PS4 and I'm currently playing DS3 on PC and it's a million times more enjoyable, one's great but a choppy mess, the other's great and buttery smooth. I really wish I was oblivious like so many seem to be but sadly I'm not, so had PS4 been my only option I would have skipped the game entirely and I'm sorry for anyone who is affected by it and has no other option but to suffer through it or not play at all.

Really impressed with the game (PC version) so far. The surround mixing works (was bugged for me in DkSII), loving the music. The combat feels good, faster and smoother like 1's, and the dodges feel responsive.

Logash

Can any one explain the whole Hallow level and Dark sigil thing because no matter how many times I read this thing I don't get it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
FUCK DANCER FUCK!!!!!!!!! Inch of health left and one shots everyone!!! Fuck you from and your cheap bullshit!!!

Thinking of trading this in.

I had a 1% wipe on her like an hour before I got her, and a 10%, 20%, 30% etc. It's a hard boss but completely doable.

Soulflarz

Banned
Whens my point of no return to pick my ending?
Before Lothric or Right after? Meaning, can I still talk to the firelink girl at that point and not be initiating the ending?

Thanks!

also, dont use illy, use long sword +10

...illy is harder to upgrade and ls+10 is slightly better
just got ls+10 to make sure I was dumb for using illy
...so yeah :/

bbd23

I love walking into enemies that basically force you to parry them. getting some good practice in with this uchigatana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom