• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIN90

Can somebody tell me the name of [something in Firelink Shrine]
the crows? Looks like it's not Snuggly like in DS1.
I want to look it up in the wiki.

Stranger11

Neo Member
Also that
Katana undead
near the shrine how the hell are you suppose to beat that thing ?

First post so I shall take the opportunity to thank you all for your help and eternal knowledge thus far in my DS3 adventure.

As for killing this guy,
I found that if you lure him towards the shrine entrance, he can't enter. But will in fact try and hit you, wait for the attack and dive in. Easy kill - if a little cowardice.

bitoriginal

Ahh, I feel like Dark Souls is back. Loved the first, but didn't really enjoy 2 or Bloodborne.

Decided to go Deprived for my first character, and made him really ragged, skinny and old for a bit of change to the usual characters. That crystal lizard thing in the first area took me about an hour to kill, and then the Master posed even more of a challenge. Still haven't found any armour that doesn't slow me right down.

So right now, I'm rocking a knights helmet and the Masters legs and gloves. I actually feel like this dude...

berserk41.jpg

Mandelbo

Can I make One tiny Nitpick?

WHy did they kill the Binoculars/Crossbow combo!

You can take any actions while in binoculars now and crossbows force you to load every bolt... whats the incentive to use them? They dont seem to be superior to longbows in anyway now

If you two hand the crossbow and press L1, you can still zoom in - I believe you could in DS2 as well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this game made me hate
trees
lakes
, and now
priests

Mupod

Some weird shit happened to me in a swampy area last night. The place with the
giant enemy crabs.
Was wondering if someone could explain wtf happened.

I was exploring for a bit, and started to turn back to the bonfire as enemy encounters had whittled my estus down to nothing and I'd grabbed a lot of loot.
Suddenly I get an NPC invade warning message and some dark spirit with what I now know is a Xanthous crown starts chasing me around. I made it back to the bonfire but I pretty much had no chance against this enemy because I had no healing left and he was dodging everything. I think his name was ludwig von wolf?

I revive and go ember again so that I can trigger the salty runback. Eventually it happens and I get invaded by another Xanthous NPC, but this one's name was different. Yellowfinger something or other. I go to seek him out and INVADED BY DARK SPIRIT pops up, this time by a name that was obviously belonging to a player. I headed back up to the hill by the bonfire to try and find them, and off in the distance I can see the red NPC (?) and a blue-ish player dark spirit. It definitely wasn't a blue sentinel but it wasn't a purple guy either. I assumed he was hostile so I observed for a bit. He walks forward and starts fighting the NPC but seems to be losing - I'd fought one before and I knew those NPC invaders could heal to full so I decided to get in there and try to kill it while it was weakened. I get in there and get some stabs in but suddenly one of those fucking crabs crashes the party and kills all of us - however I got the last hit on the NPC which gave me some drops including the Xanthous crown.

So...what was going on there? How did I get
double invaded? Was the blue guy part of a covenant?

Novocaine

Can't believe I've never used a Pyromancer in a Souls game before. He kicks ass!

Love cheesing the tough enemies with fire balls. Plus he's handy with a sword too.

Great for n00bs like myself.

I've killed so many bosses throughout the series by using Iron Flesh and mashing attack. It's kind of ridiculous how many times you can get away with that.

Bloodborne must have really stuck with me because I'm finding it hard to shake the muscle memory. I'm trying to dodge around attacks and quick counter but I roll instead, I'm hitting enemies immediately after I get hit for no reason, I keep forgetting to hold my shield up... I knew going back to traditional Souls combat would be an adjustment and no doubt it'll come back to me, but I can't help but feel like this is a step backwards. I'm also finding the new meter completely pointless.

DSmalls84

Does anyone have a rough stat distribution for a Knight quality build? So far all of my points have gone to Vigor, Endurance, Strength and Dex. Are points in vitality needed? I would like to use some larger weapons eventually but I'm using the Deep axe for now.

Bloodborne must have really stuck with me because I'm finding it hard to shake the muscle memory. I'm trying to dodge around attacks and quick counter but I roll instead, I'm hitting enemies immediately after I get hit for no reason, I keep forgetting to hold my shield up... I knew going back to traditional Souls combat would be an adjustment and no doubt it'll come back to me, but I can't help but feel like this is a step backwards. I'm also finding the new meter completely pointless.

Thats a shame because its an amazing mechanical addition

You have to give the new systems in this game time and practice

Jyrii

Banned
So last night I found the
Pilgrim
in Fire Link Shrine, the guy who offers to
draw out your true strength
lying death in his usual spot.
Is this because I did not let hem do his thing?

I think Vaatividya said that:

if you let him draw your true strength 5 times, he will die of excitement and a new npc will spawn nearby. Don't know what has happened if you didn't let him do that.

How far along in the game is that? Just beat crystal sage.

Pretty sure you missed it (like I did).

Sharp is what you want. Boosts Dex Scaling

Youll need the coal to unlock it though

I have the coal and sharp gem, but I'm afraid to use it on my uchi because it looks like sharp gems are rare and I might prefer to use it on another sword. Anyone have a recommendation? Trying not to look up all the katanas on the wiki yet.

Auctopus

I was exploring for a bit, and started to turn back to the bonfire as enemy encounters had whittled my estus down to nothing and I'd grabbed a lot of loot.
Suddenly I get an NPC invade warning message and some dark spirit with what I now know is a Xanthous crown starts chasing me around. I made it back to the bonfire but I pretty much had no chance against this enemy because I had no healing left and he was dodging everything. I think his name was ludwig von wolf?

I revive and go ember again so that I can trigger the salty runback. Eventually it happens and I get invaded by another Xanthous NPC, but this one's name was different. Yellowfinger something or other. I go to seek him out and INVADED BY DARK SPIRIT pops up, this time by a name that was obviously belonging to a player. I headed back up to the hill by the bonfire to try and find them, and off in the distance I can see the red NPC (?) and a blue-ish player dark spirit. It definitely wasn't a blue sentinel but it wasn't a purple guy either. I assumed he was hostile so I observed for a bit. He walks forward and starts fighting the NPC but seems to be losing - I'd fought one before and I knew those NPC invaders could heal to full so I decided to get in there and try to kill it while it was weakened. I get in there and get some stabs in but suddenly one of those fucking crabs crashes the party and kills all of us - however I got the last hit on the NPC which gave me some drops including the Xanthous crown.

So...what was going on there? How did I get
double invaded? Was the blue guy part of a covenant?

I don't know if you're new to Souls or not but there are
NPC invaders.

PvP in this game can be hilarious. I deliberately summoned two purple phantoms just to make things chaotic and then a red phantom invaded me on top of that. It was a free for all brawl :D

Pretty sure you missed it (like I did).

I have the coal and sharp gem, but I'm afraid to use it on my uchi because it looks like sharp gems are rare and I might prefer to use it on another sword. Anyone have a recommendation? Trying not to look up all the katanas on the wiki yet.

Oh man

So many great Dex options

I would grab the Great Scythe, Estoc, and a few others and play around with the move sets and specials

Mupod

Does anyone have a rough stat distribution for a Knight quality build? So far all of my points have gone to Vigor, Endurance, Strength and Dex. Are points in vitality needed? I would like to use some larger weapons eventually but I'm using the Deep axe for now.

I put a few points into Vigor because rings have weight and I'd like to have enough equip load to carry a bow around just in case. But I also like my Lothric Knight cosplay and that's so heavy I can't wear rings anyways. Equip load ring pls game.

I stopped myself at 19 because in every Souls game I always put way too many points in that stat and end up gimping my other stats. Poise doesn't seem to do shit anyways so I might as well start using lighter armor. Need to find a set I like the look of though.

So, for someone who's first 'souls' experience was Bloodborne, which I tried to like but ultimately couldn't deal with - would people recommend I try Souls III? I'm interested in the concept of these games, but I ended up finding Bloodborne immensely frustrating and tiresome.

ys45

First post so I shall take the opportunity to thank you all for your help and eternal knowledge thus far in my DS3 adventure.

As for killing this guy,
I found that if you lure him towards the shrine entrance, he can't enter. But will in fact try and hit you, wait for the attack and dive in. Easy kill - if a little cowardice.

Thanks for the tip and welcome to Neogaf :)

I was trying to parry him yesterday but I am so bad at parrying , I managed to parry him one time and it only removed a sliver of his life bar .
So I think I'm gonna try your trick tonight or I heard you can make him fall to his death near the cliff

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I really have no idea how to parry, should I go to the effort of learning or use a shield that will allow weapon arts?

Audioboxer

Basically it's cosmetic. Yuria will abandon you if you do it though. If you haven't met her don't worry about it.

I have but she seems sketchy and I had it spoilered for me by a friend
she triggers one ending
. I don't want
that ending
first playthrough so I'm worried being hollow will cause it. Well I suppose it wouldn't really matter, I'm doing NG++ anyway.

I need to plow in 90k souls to do it so it's a big investment for me mid-game.

aravuus

Is there any point in
healing the hollow
? Just stops further
hollowing I guess?

Looks like
being hollow/having the dark sign or whatever it was in your inventory that you got from the free level up dude unlocks a new possible ending too
. Don't know anything else about it.

Auctopus

So, for someone who's first 'souls' experience was Bloodborne, which I tried to like but ultimately couldn't deal with - would people recommend I try Souls III? I'm interested in the concept of these games, but I ended up finding Bloodborne immensely frustrating and tiresome.

Souls is slower paced and less forgiving (despite being a bit easier than Bloodborne) so I probably wouldn't recommened it.

FUCKING P
OINTIFF

Toughest boss besides one, imo.

Audioboxer

Looks like
being hollow/having the dark sign or whatever it was in your inventory that you got from the free level up dude unlocks a new possible ending too
. Don't know anything else about it.

It does but I don't know exactly how it works.

DSmalls84

I put a few points into Vigor because rings have weight and I'd like to have enough equip load to carry a bow around just in case. But I also like my Lothric Knight cosplay and that's so heavy I can't wear rings anyways. Equip load ring pls game.

I stopped myself at 19 because in every Souls game I always put way too many points in that stat and end up gimping my other stats. Poise doesn't seem to do shit anyways so I might as well start using lighter armor. Need to find a set I like the look of though.

Does anyone know what the soft caps for stats are?

Mupod

I don't know if you're new to Souls or not but there are
NPC invaders.

err
I literally call them NPC invaders in my post

the things I'm confused about
are the possibly randomized NPC names and the weird blue human invader who definitely was not a blue sentinel but was able to fight with the NPC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom