• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
BV and NK boss fight spoiler

NhEwf6T.jpg

Its interesting that there is one of these
"humanity creatures", that dont have nameless king hair

Footos22

err
I literally call them NPC invaders in my post

the things I'm confused about
are the possibly randomized NPC names and the weird blue human invader who definitely was not a blue sentinel but was able to fight with the NPC.

If you're in the way of the blue covenant you will automatically summon help when you get invaded.

Auctopus

err
I literally call them NPC invaders in my post

the things I'm confused about
are the possibly randomized NPC names and the weird blue human invader who definitely was not a blue sentinel but was able to fight with the NPC.

Oh, sorry. Wasn't it a
"Mad" invader? Mound-makers?
They can fight on both sides.

bigol

I'm trying pure mage build and it's not as bad as i read. One shotted the first boss, only died twice to the second boss. The fact enemies are faster it's not really a problem if you level up your dexterity and intelligence. Managed to beat
Uchigatana guy at first attempt too.

Still using sorcerer staff upgraded to +3, dexterity 17, intelligence 28. Using soul arrow and great soul arrow.

Enjoying my experiences with the game so far, aside from a catastrophic first attempt at fighting a knight using the steam controller. The right haptic pad for camera control will take some getting used to! My pyromancer did not survive, but luckily the steam controller will live to fight another day (it was a close call). Thinking about it, I suspect it is more button placement than the touchpad itself. I would be interested in hearing how many other people are playing with the steam controller?

Milijango

I'm trying pure mage build and it's not as bad as i read. One shotted the first boss, only died twice to the second boss. The fact enemies are faster it's not really a problem if you level up your dexterity and intelligence. Managed to beat

Still using sorcerer staff upgraded to +3, dexterity 17, intelligence 28. Using soul arrow and great soul arrow.

If you wear the Sage Ring casting speed maxes out at 20 dex.

MegaMelon

So, for someone who's first 'souls' experience was Bloodborne, which I tried to like but ultimately couldn't deal with - would people recommend I try Souls III? I'm interested in the concept of these games, but I ended up finding Bloodborne immensely frustrating and tiresome.

Try Dark Souls 1. Once it clicks you'll love it

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
DIE MOTHERFUCKER DIE

im shaking and let out the biggest sigh of relief lol. Man that fucking fight jesus christ

gonna walk my dogs, I need a break after that lol

Ok, this is starting to piss me off now. Mid game, I
rithyll Dungeon. I have a torch so I'm not taking bleed damage anymore but any time I try to fight one of the mages with a fire poker my health bar shrinks to a centimeter. What's causing that and how do I stop it?

jaaz

Me too, and I mostly agree. Although third (optional?) boss
tree
is very, very difficult using just magic alone, at least ranged magic anyways. You will almost certainly need to use your sword on the boss, which is a bit disappointing if you're trying to play the game full mage.

I wasn't really going for a spellsword build for my sorcerer, but the game almost makes you do it, given the way magic works now.

Rezbit

Well, finished the game, summoned for a couple of bosses but otherwise mostly did it myself. Overall this is definitely an awesome game, deserves to be up there with DS1 and BB.

Mupod

If you're in the way of the blue covenant you will automatically summon help when you get invaded.

I was in Sunbros at that moment. And I'm pretty sure the blue guy came up as 'dark spirit' implying he'd be hostile.

Oh, sorry. Wasn't it a
"Mad" invader? Mound-makers?
They can fight on both sides.

I thought maybe he was one at first but they are a pretty obvious shade of purple. This guy was definitely blue. Now I'm wondering if this game has a 'forest hunter' or bell defender equivalent.

Tenebrous

Just beat Y
horm the
G
iant, and was almost immediately put into another boss battle. I homeward bone'd out, wanting to spend my souls just in case, but now I can't find the fight again.

Respect

Really like the
Ithryll
sword, looks, moveset, attack speed. But I hit harder with the uchi and feel like bleed > frostbite, especially against most NPCs so far.

What exactly is the point in invading? I have never tried it.

Adds another element of challenge, and there is always something better about facing a human controlled opponent than a simple AI. I generally prefer to get invaded to invading.

Speaking of which, finally had my first invasion last night, killed the black phantom, then shortly after was invaded again by a blue phantom in the same area...did I get sin for killing an invading phantom? Or maybe this is a new covenant that I haven't run into yet?

It's weird. Health loss generally results from having unbroken line of sight or standing nearby, even if there's no mist effect / red glow..

So there's nothing I can equip to stop it? I don't think I can even run through this area with such a tiny health bar. Even the first enemy in the game could one shot me like this.

Milijango

So there's nothing I can equip to stop it? I don't think I can even run through this area with such a tiny health bar. Even the first enemy in the game could one shot me like this.

Not that I know of. Just try to dash in and kill them quickly, but only if there's nothing threatening nearby. You'll still lose hp but not much else in the area is hard to kill.

Late Flag

I spent some time yesterday helping people out with the second boss (V
ordt
). It was pretty fun -- got summoned every couple of minutes like clockwork. Still, it was strange how many people had never even attempted the boss on their own. I would guess that about half the time I got summoned, the cutscene would play out. It seems like you would want to at least take a shot at bosses on your own once or twice before summoning.

King_Moc

Banned
rithyll Dungeon. I have a torch so I'm not taking bleed damage anymore but any time I try to fight one of the mages with a fire poker my health bar shrinks to a centimeter. What's causing that and how do I stop it?

When they look at you with red eyes they temporarily decrease your health bar. You have to take them out without giving them much of a chance to see you first.

Max health comes back after maybe 20 seconds.

LogicStep

Man.. I got spoiled in bloodborne with 20 potions. Having just 3-4 at the start and blocking doesn't keep all the damage away, this is much harder. Messing up a Dodge, bye bye big chunk of HP.

Dimmle

Is it fair to say that this game has the best NPC quest lines in the series?

I was bowled over by the second segment of
Seigward's
quest. I've been similarly impressed with other characters but that one really takes the cake as set piece. And I'm only 12 hours in!

Vuze

I think they curse you simply by looking at you lol. Try from behind or far away. But I agree, they are some bothersome minions... one of the reasons why I hate this area.

Speaking of which, I just had to go through the
dungeon
again to reach
Archdragon Peak
(latestest game optional area) and I'm blown away.
So beautiful, such a different tone from the rest of the game. I think this is my favorite area so far and I doubt there will be anything to top it hah.
Unfortunately I lost 150k souls since I totally didn't expect the dragon to spawn out of nowhere basically.
I think I found the one spot where you are suppossed to attack him from - since regular attacks basically deal chip damage - but unfortunately I pressed the wrong button and fell off the cliff LOL.
When I tried to pick up my souls I got slaughtered by a bunch of the minions from behind OvO

Also wtf, some guys on my steam list already put 40h in this since official release.......

Hystzen

I spent some time yesterday helping people out with the second boss (V
ordt
). It was pretty fun -- got summoned every couple of minutes like clockwork. Still, it was strange how many people had never even attempted the boss on their own. I would guess that about half the time I got summoned, the cutscene would play out. It seems like you would want to at least take a shot at bosses on your own once or twice before summoning.

I'm one those who leave a summon sign outside a obvious boss area so I can be summoned and learn the boss moves set without losing souls if die. I do some cooperation then do it on my own after got handle of boss. Always done it since DS1

Are any of the ultra great swords slightly lower on the damage end of the spectrum, but consume less stamina as a consequence. The Drakekeeper Great sword was kind of my go to in DS II and I'm kind of missing it.

knitoe

Fuck.

The Lorian siblings
are kicking my ass. This last time I was going to do it. The char was in the animation for the final death blow when lost connection to server...

Dmax3901

Is it fair to say that this game has the best NPC quest lines in the series?

I was bowled over by the second segment of
Seigward's
quest. I've been similarly impressed with other characters but that one really takes the cake as set piece. And I'm only 12 hours in!

Where does his quest continue?

Mupod

Any tips on the Faron's Keep boss? Wrecking me at the moment and it doesn't help the run to get there is full of enemies.

can't really offer tips because the one time I fought it was as a summon and the game bugged out so that no enemies would do any attacks. They'd just skate around with no animations. Funny but ruined any tension in the fight, I think next time that happens I'll black crystal out.

But if the enemies out front are giving you trouble the
Dickwraiths will actually kill them for you if you wait. And as was already stated you can take the right path or dash through.

Any tips on the Faron's Keep boss? Wrecking me at the moment and it doesn't help the run to get there is full of enemies.

1v1 him, roll more than block, wait for his buddy to pop up, then try to avoid fighting them both. when a THIRD comes, theyll actually start fighting eachother. can even aggro the boss. so just pick at him. when he gets to half health and the fire sword comes out, ignore your sheild even more and just roll roll roll. the attack where he lunges straight at you is nice to punish

as for the enemies before the boss, let the dark wraith looking dudes kill everyone else and get their health down before aggroing

Newman96

can't really offer tips because the one time I fought it was as a summon and the game bugged out so that no enemies would do any attacks. They'd just skate around with no animations. Funny but ruined any tension in the fight, I think next time that happens I'll black crystal out.

But if the enemies out front are giving you trouble the
Dickwraiths will actually kill them for you if you wait. And as was already stated you can take the right path or dash through.

You can sneak by most of those enemies by hugging the right wall.

Cheers guys, that simplifies things a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom