• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artdayne

I really don't think it gets that challenging towards the end either. Only a couple truly challenging bosses and there's nobody frustrating (sort of).

I'd say the game is harder than Bloodborne and arguably Dark Souls 1 from my experience as well, outside of O&S.

Lore prediction

Ok, so I think I'm really fucking dense and it took like 9 hours for it to sink in.

We're basically in the same location of Dark Souls 1. I saw a glimpse of the mountain side and the city on it, thats Anor Londo. Thinking back the fucking demon flying monkeys should have given it away

is ranged build viable in this game? I wanted to make an archer type of character. I enjoy my knight class and its been pretty fun so far. Tank type build with knight shield. Pretty much ran through most bosses so far but i have just started the game (only 3 bosses down so far).

Wow, I just died cause one of the big lady enemies weapon, clipped through a wall and hit me and I fell off a catwalk and died.

One of the few instances I can honestly call bullshit. I didn't die cause I was playing bad, but cause the enemy ignored the rules of the game...

souls jank is a thing.

i just had a darkwraith warp up a hill mid-attack and smack me in the face.

not to mention the countless times enemies just warp through a barrier i wouldn't normally be able to cross.

Alchemist

Bloodborne spoiled me being able to carry 20+ vials.. I legit can't get past the first area because of these stupid knights. No sidestep either is massive change.

I've only just beat
Crystal Sage
, but while I'm enjoying this more than Dark Souls II, I'm find it to be the easiest game in the series so far, Bloodborne included.

I'm not sure if it's because it's genuinely easier, or the formula has just become so familiar that it's easy to see through all of FROM's tricks that would otherwise get the better of someone new to the franchise.

Still having a blast though.

I've only just beat
Crystal Sage
, but while I'm enjoying this more than Dark Souls II, I'm find it to be the easiest game in the series so far, Bloodborne included.

I'm not sure if it's because it's genuinely easier, or the formula has just become so familiar that it's easy to see through all of FROM's tricks that would otherwise get the better of someone new to the franchise.

Lol...you haven't seen nothing yet.

I've only just beat
Crystal Sage

The hardest game in the entire series is.....which ever one you choose to play first :p

jaekeem

And I think I'm finished with my first run now.

[Endgame/post game spoilers]

I must've jammed out on Nameless King because I just about got through that phase of the fight on the first attempt, mainly because Gundyr's Halberd caused stagger on him twice for punishment time, so that was nice.
Especially as the Storm King phase beat me down a few times, in fact the first of which involved me walking in thinking "cooooool" at the whole scenario and then just getting one shotted immediately which was kinda funny.
Loved both phases of the fight in general though, a great way to finish my run and the area itself was one of my favourites.
I liked how the dragon boss was like a set piece, there's been more than enough humanoid foes between this entry, DS2 and bloodborne for me to appreciate the more diverse boss encounters.

Champion Gundyr was the boss that kicked the crap out of me the most, he has my respect, heck that's why I went for his halberd in the first place.

I'm already hankering to get file 2 underway and use my beloved Great Scythe this time around.

yea

the hip thrusts and kicks...wheh

I've only just beat
Crystal Sage

shit will get real eventually...esp if u do the optional bosses

finalflame

it gives extra i-frames? i thought it was just making them invisible, but they were still just as vulnerable.

ran into a few who apparently thought using it is the best strat in the universe and smacked em down.

I think the sister-ring to it gives extra i-frames, but don't recall exactly the description right now.

The hardest game in the entire series is.....which ever one you choose to play first :p

That's how I feel, too. I've played all 3 Dark Souls games at this point, I think I've got a good grasp of the mechanics and what not. While I am certainly finding this game easier (to the early point I'm at, at least) I would put most of that on familiarity of the series.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Pointiff Sulyvahn
almost gave me a goddamn heart attack. Had him down to one hit and he just went ham for like 15 seconds.

Kolx

7 bosses down so far. 3 of them are complete shit. This is really disappointing since I expected From to put some effort into making a great lineup of bosses in the last Dark Souls game and having 3 shitty bosses in the first 7 is not a good sign. Does it get better from here on?

Soulflarz

Banned
Lore prediction

Ok, so I think I'm really fucking dense and it took like 9 hours for it to sink in.

We're basically in the same location of Dark Souls 1. I saw a glimpse of the mountain side and the city on it, thats Anor Londo. Thinking back the fucking demon flying monkeys should have given it away

:lol

Skii

Just beat the Rotten Greatwood boss in Undead Settlement.

I can now use boss souls to make weapons. Is the Greatsword that can be made from the rotted greatwood soul any good? Or are the early boss souls awful for weapons?

ElFly

Holy shit these pyroknights in
Irythil of the boreal valley
don't fuck around.

They can hit me with
without line of sight...or a huge distance away...and while close up they aren't that dangerous, I've fucked up a couple of times enough to get grabbed and pwned

jesus

Ogawa-san

Holy shit these pyroknights in
Irythil of the boreal valley
don't fuck around.

They can hit me with
without line of sight...or a huge distance away...and while close up they aren't that dangerous, I've fucked up a couple of times enough to get grabbed and pwned

jesus
One of those attacks followed me all the way back to DS2.

Citadel

So it's my understanding that Dark Souls 3 (PC) is capped at 60fps. I have a 144hz monitor - is there any settings I should change or tweak to compensate, or should I just leave everything as is? I get some stuttering here and there, but generally my game is pretty smooth - i was just curious if any 144hz users had any tips or if there's anything that can be done. Thanks!

The Lamp

I'm about to start the game. Any tips on choosing a class? How is magic in this game compared to others? I've always wanted to be more of a magic class but it seems like the other DS games made it really hard to be a fun mage.

So the Claymore is really starting to bore me

Any suggestions on cool/interesting STR or Quality weapons?

Is the Dark Sword good? It looks really cool

haha found
the alligator
again!
If I kill him the first time, does he not reappear?

Killed it! Spoiler for tricks in the fight
Wow, if you can arrow it in the mouth when it charges, it will sit upright for a few seconds. Also, I think there is a way to stun it briefly by hitting it in the side, but I'm not sure the exact mechanics.

Auctopus

Undead Settlement boss is fucking shit.

I've been sunbroing there a fair bit (probably beat him about 8 times now) and it's really grown on me, once you notice where all the seeds/eggs are, it really changes up the fight.

Just beat
Crystal Mage and Stray Demon
where should I go next?

Cathedral Deep
or
through big stone door
?

Cathedral of the Deep
, it'll help what comes after the
Big Stone Door
flow better.

The tree
? When you
fall stay through the ground stay behind him and attack the sacks behind him. Then go for the front afterwards. Keep your distance. When you get the front sacks fhen attack the arm.

Yeah I just hate bosses that do stupid area attacks and this one is bad for it lol

Was gonna wait for a sale but I have not the patience.

Two questions while I download, if you don't mind:

1. Interested in your assessment as to the following concepts: hopelessness, bleakness, coldness, darkness, etc. How's the game in this department, talking of atmosphere, tone & vibe? I'm sure it's not "cheery" or anything, but it seems a bit brighter and softer than I was hoping. Tell me this is not a valid concern, please.

2. Has anyone tried playing without a HUD? Possible or impossible? (I've always found it rather close to impossible because you need to see your health bar. Same story here, I assume, but figured I'd ask.)

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom