• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes me happy.

WITbulR.png

Am I doing it right?
I beat the first boss and Vordt solo. Got through undead settlement fairly easily, except the bible thumping fat ladies. They were dispatched too though. But then I got to the giant tree boss and even spotting his weak spots easy, my +2 claymore didn't do dick for damage. I had to summon for help 3 times. The first two died incredibly quick but I managed to win with the third partner. I'm wondering if I went at him too early or something, or maybe I should have taken the path opposite the boss door first.

Keep in mind, destroying one of his bulb growths will cause a huge amount of damage, even though every individual hit you land doesn't do much. He enters phase 2 if you destroy his front part. Try attacking his periphery parts and not necessarily his stomach at first. I think you can manage to attack his right thigh or right front arm/branch -- some of the parts are invincible/covered until phase 2. The periphery parts "explode" for massive damage after less damage than his front -- took my +2 Longsword about 4-5 hits on each, so you can kind of get a head-start on damage prior to phase 2 in the chamber below. Even in phase 2, probably target his periphery parts first. Right thigh, right front arm/branch, rear left arm/branch, and his back side. I find that most problems come from trying to attack in the front too eagerly, when you could be getting easy, big damage on his periphery parts. If you see a bulb like the ones on his front, it very likely can be destroyed, and with much less damage. EDIT: Also, try going after additional parts while he's in his post-explosion stun state. I've managed to stunlock him to death this way if you can coordinate with the other players and attack separate parts at the same time.

Used this tactic and Sunbro-assisted like 15 times on this boss. Believe I only failed 5 times, and not of my own fault (summoner would die).

Afrocious

I just made it to my 3rd boss,
The Curse-Ridden Greatwood
. I so far have found 1 Estus Shard. Anyone know if I've missed out on any items? I figured now would be a good time to backtrack.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Seventh boss
High Lord Wolnir
down. Was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was once it figured out what to do given I thought that area was a big difficulty spike.

So I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be going next. I beat (early-ish game still I think)
the big tree blob thing in the Undead Settlement and found Siegward.
Not sure what to do next. Oh and was there anything else in that area with the
big flame miniboss where Seigward helps you kill it besides a couple rings (Flynn and the Stamina one)?

Veggy

So I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be going next. I beat (early-ish game still I think)
the big tree blob thing in the Undead Settlement and found Siegward.
Not sure what to do next. Oh and was there anything else in that area with the
big flame miniboss where Seigward helps you kill it besides a couple rings (Flynn and the Stamina one)?

The tower near that flame miniboss, take the escalator down

GD Wolnir and the whole damn catacombs. Damn, quite a difficulty spike. The run back is annoying. Wish you could just run up to him from the lower bonfire. I wonder if you can shoot the bridge down with a bow from the bottom? Hmm.

saturnine

the purple covenant is a bit of a crapshoot

7/10 invasions I get ganked. it's not really fun and it's going to take forever to reach max rank...

granted, when it works, it's beautiful. had a 3vs3 brawl with three mad phantoms on one side, that was hilariously messy.

DedValve

Banned
I feel so mad that I didn't use the soul of the second boss to get that awesome frost bitten mace. I don't think this ring does any noticeable healing :(

Edit: how does drawing out true strength work?

ymgve

GD Wolnir and the whole damn catacombs. Damn, quite a difficulty spike. The run back is annoying. Wish you could just run up to him from the lower bonfire. I wonder if you can shoot the bridge down with a bow from the bottom? Hmm.

You do know you can open the gate next to the skeleton pile, right? Then running to the boss is a matter of dodging the skeleton ball, running through the tunnel, across the bridge and you're there in no time

Boogdud

Nope, tried it. Thankfully I killed that puke on my second try.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I just made it to my 3rd boss,
The Curse-Ridden Greatwood
. I so far have found 1 Estus Shard. Anyone know if I've missed out on any items? I figured now would be a good time to backtrack.

I found it hilarious Miyazaki designed the boss,
Curse Ridden Greatwood with his main weakness being sacks in the pelvic and ass region. IIRC Greatwood is an optional boss fight.

Probably mid game spoilers. I just beat
The Abyss and his Watchers
I'd like to know if I missed anything around these two areas as well.

Ok, I'm giving up for now.
Wolnir
is a bastard as is the run back to him, can't be bothered

Where are you guys running to him from? Once you open the gate next to the bridge, it's only a 50 second sprint to the Boss from the bonfire.

The Boss himself is annoying though, he's taken me out about six times, so I'm going to give up for now and try again tommorow.

Dereck

If they are looking at you and their lantern is glowing red you are losing HP. Knock them on their backs to halt the curse.
If I kill them by hitting them in the front, does the curse not go away? Because I did that and the curse didn't go away until I died.

Alright, all achievements obtained on Steam.
Second time, after the platinum on PS4.

Time to take a break and wait on information for all equipment in the game so I can get/farm everything.

Man, this game is intense. I can only play in short bursts, it gets my heart pumping too much... lol.

It'll do that for a while, then eventually your entire body adjusts and the only thing you know is an empty, hollow feeling.

The first boss in any Dark Souls always makes me think I'm going to have a heart attack, then I bite it a few times and I'm right back to my usual, steady "go fuck yourself" heart rate.

Stiler

Haven't had much time to get through the game yet, still in Lotrhic.

Is it just me or are these Lotrhic Knights a PITFA? They seem way harder than the Black Knights from previous souls games.

Try to block an attack and they throw like 3 quick-succession shield bashes that leave me winded and open , two hits and I'm dead.

Meanwhile someone told me to kick and it'd open a riposte, I tried this and kicking does jack all to them.

Can someone tell me,

Is there a bonfire anywhere near the big armored guy with wings on his armor? Having to fight the knight + all the axe guys, have 6k souls and really don't want to lose them).

I say in this early stage of the game I've already lost about 15k souls thanks to those damn knights.

Xeteh

Lothric and Lorian can suck my balls.
What a fun/frustrating fight,
I've never been so depressed by seeing a second phase.

Dmax3901

So I asked this last night but never got an answer.

I've just killed (mid-game boss)
Pontiff Sulyvahn
and arrived at
Anor Londo
. To get there I had to run past some archers and have no idea if I'm supposed to be here yet or if I missed some other route.

Any tips?

jett

D-Member
Contraption does not move.

Well I'm certainly annoyed now. I'm at the
Cathedral, near a covenant bonfire.
What the shit am I supposed to do here.

BTW I think this area is the first time I've really felt a Souls-like difficulty in this game. I've lost like 20k souls just dying several times. :p

Any mercenary tips? I got the kitana, but still like the starting spellswords or whatever they're called... Starting with a spin, then l2, followed with strong attack seems pretty good.... Any tips are appreciated

saturnine

Haven't had much time to get through the game yet, still in Lotrhic.

Is it just me or are these Lotrhic Knights a PITFA? They seem way harder than the Black Knights from previous souls games.

Try to block an attack and they throw like 3 quick-succession shield bashes that leave me winded and open , two hits and I'm dead.

Meanwhile someone told me to kick and it'd open a riposte, I tried this and kicking does jack all to them.

Can someone tell me,

Is there a bonfire anywhere near the big armored guy with wings on his armor? Having to fight the knight + all the axe guys, have 6k souls and really don't want to lose them).

I say in this early stage of the game I've already lost about 15k souls thanks to those damn knights.
You need to be aggressive against them. They stagger really easily. Wait for an opening, combo them, and make sure you have enough stamina left to roll back and put some distance between you and them. Rince, repeat. For the tower shield dudes, try backstabbing them after they attack, otherwise they'll backward bash you. Don't bother kicking, you'll get hit instead most of the time.
There's a shortcut after the winged fat dude, to the right when you get to the big stairs.

Veggy

So I asked this last night but never got an answer.

I've just killed (mid-game boss)
Pontiff Sulyvahn
and arrived at
Anor Londo
. To get there I had to run past some archers and have no idea if I'm supposed to be here yet or if I missed some other route.

Any tips?

You are on the right track

Zocano

is the Black Knight Greatsword any good in this game ?

Eeeh, I wish it had a thrusting move with it cause it's pretty much just a not-as-good Greatsword. The "special" moveset doesn't seem that great.

The greataxe is pretty sweet tho

Chorazin

I feel so mad that I didn't use the soul of the second boss to get that awesome frost bitten mace. I don't think this ring does any noticeable healing :(

Edit: how does drawing out true strength work?

Once you do it, you'll look more and more undead every time you die, basically becoming a Hollow from the prior games. Every 5 times you die (I think it's 5) you can get another level "free" after you get five levels...stuff happens. If you don't reverse the effects before you beat the game you get an ending pertaining to your condition....

Big Brett

So it's the freakin' weekend. What's everyone thinking of the game now that it's been out a few days? Better than two? Best yet? Good in its own right?

I think this game for me personally made me realize I prefer the methodical style of combat in Souls than in Bloodborne. Even though I always play dex builds, 3 not excluded, I like to have the buffs of shields, and also the knowledge that I can block if I want to.

Soulflarz

Banned
So it's the freakin' weekend. What's everyone thinking of the game now that it's been out a few days? Better than two? Best yet? Good in its own right?

I think this game for me personally made me realize I prefer the methodical style of combat in Souls than in Bloodborne. Even though I always play dex builds, 3 not excluded, I like to have the buffs of shields, and also the knowledge that I can block if I want to.

ds1>bb>ds3>ds2

demon wherever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom