• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
DS3 has been incredible yet I quit DS1 after 8 hours (mostly due to the port being dreadful) and I never played DS2. I think I'll definitely grab DS2 if it hits around £10 in the next sale, at least it's a solid port.

Sarcasm

So I still like the early ones over this but this is good game though. Cheesy amount of mobs and mobs not having stamina constraints like you type thing.

Best thing for me is unlocking shortcuts and getting my messages rated!

Was gonna wait for a sale but I have not the patience.

Two questions while I download, if you don't mind:

1. Interested in your assessment as to the following concepts: hopelessness, bleakness, coldness, darkness, etc. How's the game in this department, talking of atmosphere, tone & vibe? I'm sure it's not "cheery" or anything, but it seems a bit brighter and softer than I was hoping. Tell me this is not a valid concern, please.

2. Has anyone tried playing without a HUD? Possible or impossible? (I've always found it rather close to impossible because you need to see your health bar. Same story here, I assume, but figured I'd ask.)

Thanks.

Your second question is you can have both worlds. Set to auto in non-combat it hides. In combat it shows up.

DS3 has been incredible yet I quit DS1 after 8 hours (mostly due to the port being dreadful) and I never played DS2. I think I'll definitely grab DS2 if it hits around £10 in the next sale, at least it's a solid port.

I do not recommend DS2. If DS1 is on PC its not to bad, especially at 60FPS using dsfix.

DS2 (vanilla) was a lot of fun, though I think something will be lost without the online element (which I imagine is pretty barren post-DS3).

Just keep in mind that Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 2: Scholars of the First Sin are wholly distinct games. The latter changed up some core things, like enemy placement; it's essentially a harder "director's cut" version.
Does your equip load matter beyond the 30/70? Like if I have 50 instead of 65

In terms of movement, I don't think so. But there are some item(s?) that make equip load matter a bit.

Well, after biting the bullet and buying it and playing it a while, I love it. Feels like good ole Dark Souls 1 round 2.
The True Dark Souls 2 begins here.

Just finished the
Cursed Rotten tree
and I'm loving it. I couldn't bring myself to slog through Dark souls 2 regular and Scholar of the First Sin (own both on steam), but after giving this go I love it again. From came through.

Even with the game resetting my settings (for lighting back to high) and crashing at the bonfire(s) until I remember to turn it back, (yeah I got auto detect off), I still love it. Just like platinum'ing the PS3 version of Dark Souls 1 with Blighttown FPS, I don't care, I love it regardless.

Dark Souls 2 looked amazing and ran like a dream, but I just couldn't do it no matter how many times I tried.

DS3 is awesome.

Sarcasm

Does your equip load matter beyond the 30/70? Like if I have 50 instead of 65

download24j4f.png

Mcdohl

1. Interested in your assessment as to the following concepts: hopelessness, bleakness, coldness, darkness, etc. How's the game in this department, talking of atmosphere, tone & vibe? I'm sure it's not "cheery" or anything, but it seems a bit brighter and softer than I was hoping. Tell me this is not a valid concern, please.

2. Has anyone tried playing without a HUD? Possible or impossible? (I've always found it rather close to impossible because you need to see your health bar. Same story here, I assume, but figured I'd ask.)

Thanks.

1. There's more sunlight, but the overall tone still feels classic Soulsborne. IMO, this is not a valid concern. Art direction is top notch as usual. Monster designs are still intimidating and scary, and locales still transmit that sense of hopelessness and desolation the series is famous for.

DeaDPo0L84

I'm having issues joining my wife's game. I know what items to use for coop and have played with other players. I am higher level but my understanding is as long a we set a password then level difference shouldn't matter. Is there anyone else experiencing this?

I'm having issues joining my wife's game. I know what items to use for coop and have played with other players. I am higher level but my understanding is as long a we set a password then level difference shouldn't matter. Is there anyone else experiencing this?

I hear there are problems on the wall(I had problems too), are you trying to connect there?

Aurongel

Bought a new DAC for my PC so I can enjoy music/games with higher quality audio at amplified volumes.

"Boy, this game sounds great loud!"

Reach a certain dungeon and pick up a certain item.

"FFFFFUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKIN NOPE!!!"

Made me jump across my room lol. Those who've played it know what I'm talking about.

Thanks.
Berserk
thats what this game and its enemies remind me of
so yea pleasant dreams

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I do not recommend DS2. If DS1 is on PC its not to bad, especially at 60FPS using dsfix.

I had DSFix but even with it the frame rate seemed to shit the bed on boss fights, dropping down to 30fps. I even tried setting it to 900p internal with everything off and it was the same, I just couldn't be bothered with it. If I could get it running at a stable 60fps I wouldn't be against finishing it.

Dommel

The fight against the
Fire
Demon while getting help from
Onion Knight
was pretty hilarious.

Those two were duking it out down below while I lobbed a fireball once in a while. When the demon was down to 1% I hopped down and stabbed him in the back.
Easiest fight ever.

Sarcasm

I had DSFix but even with it the frame rate seemed to shit the bed on boss fights, dropping down to 30fps. I even tried setting it to 900p internal with everything off and it was the same, I just couldn't be bothered with it. If I could get it running at a stable 60fps I wouldn't be against finishing it.

Ah, what are your specs? I got constant 60 FPS with downsampling on an i7 3770k and gtx670.

The fight against the
Fire
Demon while getting help from
Onion Knight
was pretty hilarious.

Those two were duking it out down below while I lobbed a fireball once in a while. When the demon was down to 1% I hopped down and stabbed him in the back.
Easiest fight ever.

im gonna have to use a guide in NG+(switching to Guts build for obvious reasons) i missed him completely except for the lift

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, what are your specs? I got constant 60 FPS with downsampling on an i7 3770k and gtx670.

3570k 4.4GHz, GTX 970. In comparison DS3 runs at 60fps on max settings 99% of the time.

ugoo18

Any recommendations for a non Greatsword or Ultragreatsword sword to infuse with the
Simple Gem,
also if i were to infuse say the Uchigatana would it still retain its bleed effect?

GRIP

Anyone know if a certain early game exploit
jumping on fire link roof from the tree
has been patched or not?

Sarcasm

3570k 4.4GHz, GTX 970. In comparison DS3 runs at 60fps on max settings 99% of the time.

Well something is amiss lol as your PC is totally better then mine and I was downsampling from 2K resolution with 60 FPS steady in DS1 even during boss fights.....

The only thing that tanked my FPS was that rushed lava area/boss.

Took 2 hours but finally beat
The Nameless King
!! Except it was double KO and I didn't get any souls... Can't pick them up either. But FEELS GOOD man!

Any tips for the early (boss spoilers) tr
ee boss? I know I'm suppose to be hitting his nuts but I'm still doing no damage to him. And his attacks seem harder to dodge. Or maybe I'm too used to Bloodborne's movement.

Veggy

The soundtrack is so damn good, almost as good as Bloodborne's (Old Hunter's just edges it out imo)

What tracks are people loving? Standout ones for me are
Princes, Dragonslayer and Cinder

jaekeem

The soundtrack is so damn good, almost as good as Bloodborne's (Old Hunter's just edges it out imo)

abyss watchers, cinder, yhorm were my favorites.

Onemic

so is buying that tower key from the shrine lady
worthless or not? Because all I seemed to get from it was mainly a firekeeper soul(as well as a homeward bone, estus shard, and a crystal lizard) which lets you permanently remove hollowing. Thing is, I hear that you dont want to permanently remove it because then you'll miss out on a questline.

Zocano

Most of them are whatever but
Secret Betrayal
so goooooooood

That and Gundyr's is kinda the only stand outs for me. I think OCK's is good for setting the tone of the fight but other than that most of the soundtrack was still pretty samey Dark Souls stuff.

r i p Demon's Souls, never get any more of its quirkiness.

Mazzo3

I've just been invaded in R
oad of Sacrifices
, but
I've already defeated the boss, what's up with that? And I can still summon people.
Is this a special invasion area?

ogbg

Pontiff, Princes, Yhorm, Deacons, Dancer

psychotron

Am I doing it right?
I beat the first boss and Vordt solo. Got through undead settlement fairly easily, except the bible thumping fat ladies. They were dispatched too though. But then I got to the giant tree boss and even spotting his weak spots easy, my +2 claymore didn't do dick for damage. I had to summon for help 3 times. The first two died incredibly quick but I managed to win with the third partner. I'm wondering if I went at him too early or something, or maybe I should have taken the path opposite the boss door first.

Veggy

Am I doing it right?
I beat the first boss and Vordt solo. Got through undead settlement fairly easily, except the bible thumping fat ladies. They were dispatched too though. But then I got to the giant tree boss and even spotting his weak spots easy, my +2 claymore didn't do dick for damage. I had to summon for help 3 times. The first two died incredibly quick but I managed to win with the third partner. I'm wondering if I went at him too early or something, or maybe I should have taken the path opposite the boss door first.

He only takes damage when the eggs "pop", or if you hit the hand in phase 2

Taruranto

Thanks.

It's not bleak and atmospheric like DS1 and it doesn't have the melancholy of DS2 Majula. So far it's grey. Very grey.

embalm

Any tips for the early (boss spoilers) tr
ee boss? I know I'm suppose to be hitting his nuts but I'm still doing no damage to him. And his attacks seem harder to dodge. Or maybe I'm too used to Bloodborne's movement.
Look all over his body for nuts. There are some on the legs, on the hands and in between joints. Try hitting some of these other nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom