• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

tumblr_o5pgov52Ei1u5eu8ao1_1280.jpg

Fashion Souls? I really like the look of the Northern Helm with the Fallen Knight set.

Btw, can I farm a full set of
Black Knight Armor
off of the one in Crucifixion Woods? I got a helmet and leggings, but I'd like the armor. Seeing that guy waiting in the building sent shivers down my spine, holy shit.

I'm on all low settings and still getting only 20-25 FPS. Don't judge me.

Veggy

So it's the freakin' weekend. What's everyone thinking of the game now that it's been out a few days? Better than two? Best yet? Good in its own right?

I think this game for me personally made me realize I prefer the methodical style of combat in Souls than in Bloodborne. Even though I always play dex builds, 3 not excluded, I like to have the buffs of shields, and also the knowledge that I can block if I want to.

Great game but the bosses are too damn easy this time imo

Big Brett

Great game but the bosses are too damn easy this time imo

How far are you? I don't really disagree with you, but I don't miss huge roadblocks like O&S, Nito, etc. I've comfortably beat every boss (up to where I am) solo in fewer than 10 tries, and they've felt really nice.

I ask how far you are because a lot of the early ones are quite easy.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Fashion Souls? I really like the look of the Northern Helm with the Fallen Knight set.

Btw, can I farm a full set of
Black Knight Armor
off of the one in Crucifixion Woods? I got a helmet and leggings, but I'd like the armor. Seeing that guy waiting in the building sent shivers down my spine, holy shit.

I'm on all low settings and still getting only 20-25 FPS. Don't judge me.

I farmed that enemy in the ruin near Farron's Keep. Spent a good 1.5 hours farming it until I got everything.

Late game, I'll say nothing more than this. C
hampion Gundyr is an absolute dick. Wish he'd just step out of the way so I can get to what's behind him without dealing with his cheap shoulder rushing ass.
I've got very little left to do in this playthrough, but this is the first time I've felt I may need to level up to progress despite almost winning many times. I'm also really regretting my DEX build at this point.

So it's the freakin' weekend. What's everyone thinking of the game now that it's been out a few days? Better than two? Best yet? Good in its own right?

I think this game for me personally made me realize I prefer the methodical style of combat in Souls than in Bloodborne. Even though I always play dex builds, 3 not excluded, I like to have the buffs of shields, and also the knowledge that I can block if I want to.

Bloodborne is still my #1 but ds3 is definitely the second best. Imo the only thing ds1 has over ds3 is the interconnected world design - ds3 outclasses it in practically every other aspect

Seel

Neo Member
Eeeh, I wish it had a thrusting move with it cause it's pretty much just a not-as-good Greatsword. The "special" moveset doesn't seem that great.

The greataxe is pretty sweet tho

Good to know .32str/18dex req. is higher than the others too . Thanks!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really don't know about the Catacombs of Carthus man. Feels like a bad Chalice Dungeon and I'm just running through it trying to get it over with faster. Hate when areas keep popping up in this game that I actively dislike, I expected better.

I really do think I enjoy BB more but DkS3 is super duper good. Would've been hard to top BB for me, but this one is cutting it pretty close. Maybe it will end up making it.

UberLevi

Just stumbled across O
ceiros, the Consumed King
and all I can say is fuckin' wow. Getting my ass kicked, but probably the best boss fight in the game so far. Music is also on point.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I really don't know about the Catacombs of Carthus man. Feels like a bad Chalice Dungeon and I'm just running through it trying to get it over with faster. Hate when areas keep popping up in this game that I actively dislike, I expected better.

I wasn't too big of a fan of the level. The next few levels get pretty amazing though. Just gotta tough it out :(

Zocano

What y'all think about the Lothric Knight Sword? I'm going with a DEX/STR build. Should I infuse a Refine gem on it or nah?

A quality build (even amounts of DEX/STR) seems to be fuckin' crazy good in this game and you basically have all the weapons short of a few at your disposal. I like the Knight Sword. It's the longest (by a hair) of the straight swords.

Elfstruck

Lawl, that map is horrible. Only map that I struggled with.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

So far prefer Bloodborne's enemy design, level design, atmosphere and combat. It all feels like a step down from Bloodborne IMO. DS3 is sprawling but less compelling. Central Yarnham and Old yarnham feels better designed, more atmospheric than anything I have seen in the first few areas of DS3 so far. Still a fun game though and besides, a weak Souls game is still leagues better than most games.

Without spoilers of course, could people who have finished the game let me know around what level they were when they were done? I kind of feel like I'm over-levelled because I've usually finished the other Souls games at around level 70-80 but I'm currently exploring (late game location spoiler)
the upper level of Lothric Castle
and I'm SL 88 with two maxed out weapons and nearly 600 Attack Power. I never farmed for souls once and it just seems a little high to me for the first playthrough.

Onemic

so is buying that tower key from the shrine lady worthless or not?
Because all I seemed to get from it was mainly a firekeeper soul(as well as a homeward bone, estus shard, and a crystal lizard) which lets you permanently remove hollowing. Thing is, I hear that you dont want to permanently remove it because then you'll miss out on a questline.

Veggy

How far are you? I don't really disagree with you, but I don't miss huge roadblocks like O&S, Nito, etc. I've comfortably beat every boss (up to where I am) solo in fewer than 10 tries, and they've felt really nice.

I ask how far you are because a lot of the early ones are quite easy.

One character on NG++ and one character at the end of NG

Soulflarz

Banned
Without spoilers of course, could people who have finished the game let me know around what level they were when they were done? I kind of feel like I'm over-levelled because I've usually finished the other Souls games at around level 70-80 but I'm currently exploring (late game location spoiler)
the upper level of Lothric Castle
and I'm SL 88 with two maxed out weapons and nearly 600 Attack Power. I never farmed for souls once and it just seems a little high to me for the first playthrough.

86 doing every area

I agree that the environments are a let down after BB. However like a poster above me said I really prefer the slower combat with a shield in souls games.

Game is great so far! From Software are incredible.

In what way? I'm doing dex, and I'm finding my options for weapons are simply not there. I don't like having to upgrade a weapon to sharp just to get a B scaling option :/

Exactly the same issue. I've not found anything that scales well so the stat seems completely wasted. I'm at the soft cap for DEX, with a +9 uchi and the best I can get out of it is 140~ one handed and 200~ two handed. That's about the same damage I could get with a basic axe upgraded a bit at SL1. I've got some rarer weapons too and even ones that look like they would scale decently just don't have the output you'd expect. This is at basically the end of the game too and I've still not found much worth having as DEX.

I think the worst part of an SL1 run would be health
That's it

Oh yeah definitely health, and maybe even stam are the biggest drawbacks in SL1. Still with 40 points dropped into DEX and numerous upgraded weapons to mess with I figured I'd be doing more damage than I could in the first couple hours. I'm hoping I just missed a bunch of decent weapons but I tried to be really thorough for a first run.

Soulflarz

Banned
Exactly the same issue. I've not found anything that scales well so the stat seems completely wasted. I'm at the soft cap for DEX, with a +9 uchi and the best I can get out of it is 140~ one handed and 200~ two handed. That's about the same damage I could get with a basic axe upgraded a bit at SL1. I've got some rarer weapons too and even ones that look like they would scale decently just don't have the output you'd expect. This is at basically the end of the game too and I've still not found much worth having as DEX.

I think the worst part of an SL1 run would be health
That's it

Anyone free to help me with the boss in the C
atacombs
? Everyone I've summoned dies on me and I'd really like to move on. Password: soulsgaf thanks to anyone willing!

beef3483

So I just beat
the crystal sage
. Does this game open up? One thing I enjoyed about the last two Dark Souls was that I could go down multiple paths whenever I got bored of one or was getting my ass kicked. So far, it seems like one area just leads to another, without any branching paths like the previous games.

After having so much trouble with the first lord of cinder the next two were very easy in comparison.
Granted I had seigward's help against Yhorm and he just melts the dude.I was afraid that he might die but he could take him out alone easily

ugoo18

Any recommendations for a non Greatsword or Ultragreatsword sword to infuse with the
Simple Gem,
also if i were to infuse say the Uchigatana would it still retain its bleed effect?

Anyone please, i'd rather not waste my lone
Simple Gem
and have to farm those
Jailers in Irithyll Dungeon.

I agree that the environments are a let down after BB. However like a poster above me said I really prefer the slower combat with a shield in souls games.

Game is great so far! From Software are incredible.

You know what? People shit on DS2 because of how the environments aren't well connected, but whilst playing DS3 I really appreciated the variety. Bloodborn's level design was fucking fantastic because it was unique for the series and each area had a sense of place; everything felt liek it was connected connected. DS3 feels a lot like DS2 in that you'll go down a big elevator and suddenly be in a new environment, but so far it's all been castles or swamps that you've seen in the other DS games.

The game's amazing, but I wish they went for more drastically different in settings. I'd be okay with areas being more "samey" if the actual themes were drastically different from the other games. Though there's every chance things will be switched up in the late game.

DedValve

Banned
Once you do it, you'll look more and more undead every time you die, basically becoming a Hollow from the prior games. Every 5 times you die (I think it's 5) you can get another level "free" after you get five levels...stuff happens. If you don't reverse the effects before you beat the game you get an ending pertaining to your condition....

Well... That's obscure!

Time to abuse this. Consequences be damned!

So, what the fuck should I do against
High Lord Wolnir
? Any tips?

Easy strat

(from your perspective) Left arm first, it's harder to reach as it sits in the death smoke. Right arm second as it sits on the ground and can block the enemies he spawns. Also try a weapon with a wide swing and you can clip both bracelets at once, which are the targets. I used a Holy Greatsword and it was pretty easy. Just prepare to run back from him if he advances as the death smoke will devour you.

Raw64life

Just had the laggiest fight with a CPU invader in Farron Keep. I backstabbed him into a wall, then he got out of the wall and kept circling me but not attacking. After I drained all his health, he didn't die, but everything I did clipped through him. After about 30 seconds, he chugged a bunch of estus but didn't regain any health. He was moving around but didn't attack and couldn't be attacked. Another 30 seconds later he drops dead.

t1gerjaw

Easy strat

(from your perspective) Left arm first, it's harder to reach as it sits in the death smoke. Right arm second. Also try a weapon with a wide swing and you can clip both bracelets at once, which are the targets. I used a Holy Greatsword and it was pretty easy. Just prepare to run back from him if he advances as the death smoke will devour you.

Thanks, I was attacking the righ one first.

Raw64life

If you get all
5 whatevers from Yoel of Londor for the Lord of Hollows
ending does it preclude you from getting the
Usurping the Fire
ending?

heringer

Losing your shadow when you are
completely hollow
is such a dumb idea. It just makes the game uglier.

Curse you
Yoel!

MrHoot

So far I'm enjoying the game but i do have slight mild annoyances. And it's not really the fault of the game, but rather what it precedes really. Especially coming out of bloodborne.

Some of the enemy designs and certain zones i definitively didn't like. Some enemies seem straight up more tailored for bloodborne with absurd combo attack that will deplete all your stamina by blocking or by constant dodging. Some zones can fuck off too, like the
catacombs
or the
marsh level
preceding farron's keep. Bosses are pretty fun tho, but not really hard with the exception of
Pontiff who ramps up the difficulty in absurd manners. Seriously his chain of attack seems almost downright unfair and parrying seems to be one of the few optimal solutions if you want to go solo after him. Again, a boss that seems more suited for bloodborne's faster pace than souls.

If anything, my main gripe is that it seems to struggle to find it's own identity at times, There are some gorgeous zones but I also feel they are ripped straight out of older souls games or bloodborne. Still, I just beat
Aldrich and going down now from the manor,
and stuff seems to be picking up. It's quite impressive considering I don't feel i'm near the end.

Definitively going for a more STR build next time tho. This DEX build doesn't seem to pay off all that much and stunlocking some ennemies with big damage seems way more effective than even letting them attack.

Big Brett

One character on NG++ and one character at the end of NG

Well, you can say much better than I then :) I don't think you're wrong at all. I'm not super turned off by it, though. I've enjoyed the fights thoroughly. No gimmicky like multi-enemy fights, or super horrible pushovers like those candle guys from DkS1.

I've been using dual blades my whole way through because I find their moveset to be a ton of fun, and the scaling isn't terrible[/]. I'm at 40 dex as well. Used Sharp Warden Twinblades +9 landing at 163+124, but just switched over to Gotthard Twinswords +8 because they seem to pack quite a punch and also seem more potent behind a shield as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom